Having problems with Gateway?

1800 127 5489 (Indonesia)
1800 881 918 (Malaysia)
1800 895 6299 (Singapore)
1800 1533 (Vietnam)
1866 350 2237 (Mexico)
+1 800 676 6100 (United States)
+61 130 036 5100 (Australia)
+64 800 223 769 (New Zealand)
+63 23 212 241 (Philippines)
+66 26 854 311 (Thailand)
+54 114 103 4103 (Argentina)
7565 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, California
Canada
5540 McAdam Road, Mississauga, Ontario, L4Z 1P1

Australia
8 Baywater Drive, Wentworth Point NSW 2127, Australia

New Zealand
Suite 2, Ground Floor, Building A, Millenium Phase II, 600 Great South Road, BEllerslie, Auckland 1051, New Zealand

China
3/F, Metropolitan Headquarters Building, № 168 Tibet Middle Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, 200001

Hong Kong
Unit 2301-02, Level 23, Tower 1, Millennium City 1, 388 Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon, HK

India

Level 24, Menara AMBank, № 8, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, 50450 Kuala Lumpur

Philippines
Unit 3401, 34th floor, PBCom Tower, Ayala Avenue corner Rufino St., Makati City

Singapore
29, International Business Park, № 01-01, Acer Building, Tower A, Singapore 609923

Taiwan
8th Floor, № 88, Section 1, Xintai 5th Road, Xizhi City, Taipei County.

Thailand
191/62-63 16th Floor CTI Tower, Rachadapised Road, KlongToey, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

Vietnam
Suite 803, 8th Fl, Petro Vietnam Tower, 1 Le Duan, Dist 1, HCMC, Vietnam

Mexico
Avenida Ejercito Nacional 579, 1st Floor, Colonia Granada, Delegation Miguel Hidalgo, CP 11520, Mexico City

Complaints & Reviews

Faulty Computer

Bought a brand new 900.00 gateway tower 1/22/09 from best buy, worked great for the first month and a half and then randomly started shutting down with no error codes, i would turn it on and 2 minutes later it shut down. Contact Gateway via tech chat the rep told me to try updating drivers in which i couldnt keep computer on long enough to even get to driver device screen, contacted another rep via online chat who told me something differently that sounds like video card overheating and whatever i was doing on computer i couldnt do (which means going online i guess i paid this much to buy a computer to sit there just for decoration?) i then contacted them via telephone spoke to a rep who sounded like he knew what he was doing and told me i needed to send it to repair center, this was beginning of March but i had to pay for shipping and insurance which costed me 80.00 so i did it recieved it back with repair comments saying basically they couldnt find anything they tested it and ran it overnight, ok so i set it up turned it on and 2 minutes later it shut down, contacted another rep who told us to go to computer and look for codes could not find one it gave us no error messages at all, so rep send you have to send it in but they will cover shipping, mind you i just recieved it back same day..so i sent it back out and recieved back 5/27/09 with repair comments replaced hard drive, at this point i thought it was fixed so excitedly i set it up turned it on and it worked...fine for about 7 days and started shutting down again, called gateway back explained everything again for probably about the 20th time since problem started and guess what had to send it back out 7 days after i recieved it back, so i sent it out again apparently to a higher technical level recieved it back 6/15/09 with repair comment could not recreate issue successfully (WHAT) you have to be kidding me this time fuming i called them back spoke to aa tech who really did not want to help resolve my problem and kept saying i have to send it in i asked her to look at her computer and see how many times that month i had sent it in finally i asked for a supervisor and requested either a refund for amount i paid or a brand new computer i will not accept a rebuilt since i paid very good money for brand new one and it is not my fault there computer is faulty sup said they could not do that i have to send it back in, he straight out refused to give me a customer service number and a corporate number he said he did not have one for me and i have to write in a complaint which is ridiculous its like they are telling me to keep wasting time so by the time i get to corporate my warranty is up...i looked online and found Gateway corporate number [protected] my fiance called and spoke to a patsy who was very nice and symethetic to my issues and told us we need to send for final evaluation, so i sent it back out and recieved back 6/25/09 to repair comments cleanedd thermal units and fans, set it up lasted a few days and now the computer totally freezes up 3 minutes after turning it on, and it also came back damaged!!!...i am so tired of dealing with this company 6 months after buying the computer about 85% of the time the computer was either being shipped to them or back to me or in repair center, i will be contacting corporate back on monday and requesting a full refund for amount i paid for computer or a brand neww computer equal to the one i bought i will not be accepting a rebuilt and i will not be sending it back to repair center only way i am sending it back is if they are refunding or sending me a brand new computer, so today i have the Massachusetts Attorney general on speedial as well as the form to fill out for a consumer complaint since i have all my documentation for shipping it, within ONE MONTH MY COMPUTER WAS SHIPPED BACK AND FORTH 3 TIMES!!! AS WELL AS ONCE IN BEEGINNING OF MARCH, ALSO OVER 25 CALLS TO GATEWAY. the one thing i wish i had were names and rep ID's for all the reps i spoke to who should take a training class on how to treat a consumer since they are also consumers and would not want to deal with this, i am a consumer and will not accept anything less than what i paid for. I work for a massive telecommunications company the largest in the united states with over a billion customers and i will not be recommending gateway!!!

Avoid

I purchased a Gateway laptop at Best Buy. After 11 months it failed and I took it to Best Buy for service. As they were too busy to handle all their service customers, they told me to try re-installing Windows Vista. This worked at first, but the Gateway continued to fail. When I brought it back to Best Buy they refused to honor the warranty because it was 1 year and 2 DAYS old. Gateway refused to extend the warranty or help in any way. Best Buy will ONLY service your computer if you buy a BEST BUY warranty, and Gateway could care less if you buy again because they are on the verge of Bankruptcy I've been told. Deal with a reputable company, not BEST BUY or GATEWAY.

Fradulent statements

Purchased a new computer from Circuit City in San Luis Obispo on August 18, 2006 for our son on his birthday! The screen went black and he called the City Assure number. They kept his computer for at least 4 or more weeks and kept calling our number, since we purchased, to ask for a return shipping address saying the computer was ready to be returned and was fixed. He was talking with them and they told him it could not be fixed. He was told his only option was to take a refurbished computer which he agreed to, all the while we were getting phone calls, during the day while at work, saying the needed the correct shipping address. They sent him a pacific blue refurbished Gateway computer than is now dead, won't boot, won't do anything and here we are hving spent nearly $1400 with the City Assure protection plan with no computer and no where to turn. I am totally digusted with Circuit City for offering this plan and for City Assure for being incompetent! What can I do??

Best Buy Destroyed my computer

Back in December (on the 18th to be precise) I purchased a new Gateway desktop computer (model# FX6800-01e...

Warranty Not Honored

I FINALLY got a hold of someone at gateway only to be refused any help or resolution to my broken computer. The gateway representative told me that they could not help me. Despite my efforts to help the representative understand my problem as a young businessman with a broken computer, he refused to be of any help and just kept repeating that they were not responsible since they sold my account to MPC. So Gateway made two times the amount of money on my account I guess! Once when I paid them $2000 for the computer and unlimited warranty, and a second time when MPC bought my account from them! This is utterly ridiculous and unprofessional of Gateway to not offer loyalty to their customers. There should be some honoring of my warranty! They are a large corporation who has more money than I will ever see and yet they refuse to do anything to honor my warranty and therefore they refuse to keep me as a loyal customer, as I have been for the last 3 years.

Charley May 27, 2009

I am among those screwed by Gateway. I bought the top of the line tablet notebook and the 4 year warranty package. At the time, Gateway was one of the best in the industry. From what I have experienced lately with them and MPC, I say Gateway sucks).

There is an opportunity to file a claim in the bankruptcy court proceeding but I just learned the deadline is this Frinay the 29 at 5:00 PM EST.

Contact Logan and Company in Upper Montclair NJ

If anyone files a class action law suit against Gateway, please count me in. Charles

Garbage Computer, Horrific Customer Service

Purchased $2700 laptop 5/06. Between 5/06 and 6/2/07 approx 3-4 motherboards & defective screen replaced in my "new" comp with several Full System Recovery involved. During this time GW had the comp longer than I did & my purchased FULL 3 year warranty was dimishing.
6/7/07 I was sent a "new?" REFURBISHED unit, (I received someone elses defective, problem filled computer!)
4/22/08 Motherboard was replaced due to lack of power to unit.
7/30/08 called GW with problems. Tech appt made for NEW MOTHERBOARD
8/5 TECH DIDN'T SHOW. Resched Tech 8/14 - TECH NO SHOW! I called @ 12noon promised me a called back "right away". No call - I CALLED @ 1pm. Rescheduled finally - new MOTHERBOARD & KEYBOARD.
9/30/08 - NO POWER to comp. Called Gateway - Gilbert in 2nd Level support insisted unit come back to GW. GW recvd comp 10/9/08 into @ Repair center.
I Talked to Christine @ GW 10/10 - motherboard is backordered.
10/30 I talked to Roxanne @ GW - "still waiting for motherboard can't give any other information". 10/30 after 1 hr on hold was transfered to "escalating service dispatch" and was told GW expected to receive part 10/31.
11/18 - Shavontee @ GW was EXTREMELY rude to me & stated to send a letter to Cust Serv in Tempo, TX if I don't like her answers.
11/18 - Sarah @ GW - waiting on motherboard but will extend my warranty.
1/7/09 Frank @ GW - to send new M-1622H comp.
1/22/09 Jeremy @ GW - comp TO be a REFURBISHED UNIT!!! & should have 2 wks
Resolution Sought: I WANT A NEW NEW COMPUTER, NEVER USED OR REGISTERED TO ANOTHER CUSTOMER. I DO NOT WANT A REFURBISHED COMPUTED AS I RECEIVED PREVIOUSLY WITH DIRE RESULTS!! IF GATEWAY REFUSED TO FURNISH ME WITH A NEW COMPUTER I WOULD LIKE TO BE REIMBURSED FOR THE ENTIRE ORIGINAL COST SINCE IT HAS BEEN IN DISREPAIR FROM THE DATE OF ORIGINAL PURCHASE. I CAN PURCHASE ANOTHER SUPERIOR MAKE/ MODEL LAPTOP! WITH A COMPANY WITH BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
Date Problem Started: 04/09/2007; Date of Transaction: 05/23/2006; Amount in Dispute: $2615.00; Invoice Number: 5612184; Complaint Type: Guarantee/Warranty
Product or Service: UNSATISFACTORY! I HAVE REPEATEDLY TOLD GW THIS IS MY WORK COMP!!!
Additional Information after Better Business Bureau complaint was submitted:
1/23/08 I received a call from WADE @ GW Corporate Office. Wade stated that he has gone over my issues and he noticed that I was getting a “new” computer. He stated that was how they handle these type of issues and there is nothing else they are willing to do.
After I reiterated to him that this was my WORK computer and my livelihood he just brushed me off and told me that this is the way Gateway handles these situations.
I AM SO DISGUSTED WITH GATEWAY AS A BUSINESS AND COMPUTER!
TO DATE I DO NOT HAVE A COMPUTER. IT'S BEEN 5 MONTHS AND BOTH COMPUTERS (THE ORIGINALLY PURCHASE AND THE 1ST REPLACEMENT) HAS BEEN "REPAIRED" BY GATEWAY TECHICAL SERVICE 8 (EIGHT) TIMES!!!
THIS IS THE 2ND REPLACEMENT - 2ND REFURBISHED THAT I WILL BE GETTING AND GATEWAY IS IGNORANT TO THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE HAD THE COMPUTER LONGER THAN I HAVE! IT HAS BEEN OUT OF COMMISSION TO ME FOR MONTHS AT A TIME SINCE PURCHASED!

• Do
    Domiracer Apr 14, 2009

I have gone through a similar nightmare with my Gateway M1615 laptop, purchased in Sept., 2007. WIthin two weeks the hard drive failed. I am now on my fourth hard drive, have replaced the battery, sent the computer in for repair when it continually overheated and shut down on its own (they claimed there was nothing wrong with it), and every time I've had to call I've spent hours on hold, when they finally answer I always have to talk to some dope in India who I can barely understand, they are so unskilled they don't listen, run you through the same routine every time even when you try explaining that you've already been through it...and the 2nd level support people are RUDE A-HOLES. That means YOU: RYAN (condescending ###) and all the rest. Now I've got to send this lemon back in and they want ME to pay for the shipping this time. GATEWAY: YOU SUCK! I'll never ever ever buy another Gateway POS computer, all you had to do was make even a slight effort to solve my problem, but I've been brushed off, ignored and even wrote a letter to them outlining EVERY SINGLE PHONE CALL I've ever made, and how poorly they've handled this...guess what? NO REPLY. Marketing 101: It costs 4X more to attract a new customer as it does to keep an existing one. You are obviously way to stupid to figure that one out. Anyone thinking about buying a Gateway computer, please move on.

Computer Warranty and Repair

I bought a Gateway M285 Tablet PC in 2006 directly from Gateway for my small business. I also purchased 4 years extended warranty service, second business day, on-site, parts and labor covered.

Gateway sold their Business Unit to MPC in 2007, which took over all accounts and was also supposed to take care of the warranty obligations and support. MPC filed chapter 11 at the end of 2008. About one week after they filed it, by on-board ATI graphics card started failing.

I did some trouble-shouting myself and a software issue can be excluded. I called Gateway who told me to call MPC, who are now handling support for my PC. I called and got somebody on the Phone, after over one hour of waiting. The support person could not help me and told me to send an email to a support account that she gave me. I did that right after my call and nothing happened.

After a few days (so much for 2ND business day) I got a brief response, that they are currently in chapter 11 and cannot do anything until the ch11 proceedings are done, date unknown.

I did not care, I had (have) a business computer, with specific-not interchangeable parts, that does not work properly. Even if I did not get the support that I paid for, is it impossible for me, to do a repair myself. I cannot get the needed hardware part at Best Buy, Newegg etc. So I contacted Gateway, the manufacturer, who is to this date in the business of making computers.

They wanted me to send to MPC again, which I refused, because no help was coming from MPC and I needed somebody who CAN/has the ability to fix the computer, payment/coverage of cost secondary. I told Gateway that I would pay upfront for the repair of the computer that they built and deal with the compensation for it later, with MPC, one they are done with their chapter 11 proceedings.

Gateway was unwilling to help me at all. They gave me some links to sites that I never heard of, where I might be able to purchase the part that I need (and don't know). The part number on my delivery receipt I could not find and everything that looked like it could be the right part was out of stock. I contacted support at the beginning of November 2008.

Today is January 17, 2009 and the computer is still not fixed. The gfx card shuts down less now, because I disabled 3D acceleration, which seems to be the part of the ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 that is damaged. It slows the computer down and a pain in the butt to work with, but its better than a total failure (which I expect to happen anytime soon).

What does Gateway expect me to do? I waved my Credit Card to get their computer fixed by them, business for them, although they made the original promise to me that they will take care of everything. That's why I did go to the Manufacturer directly. Who else is supposed to be able to fix and support it?

I sent a letter to Gateway management already, before I offered to pay for the guaranteed second biz day on-site, parts and labor covered support, which I did not get, even after 2 business MONTHS passed. I probably will send another letter to their corporate office here in California.

One thing is for sure... I WILL NEVER EVER!!! BUY ANOTHER GATEWAY COMPUTER (Consumer or Business or Whatever) IN MY LIFE AGAIN! ... and I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO YOU .. TO DO THE SAME!

Additional details to this incident can be found at
and

Regards,
Carsten Cumbrowski

• Da
    dailyphotofix Feb 12, 2009

Same here! Three years ago I bought my computer from my school through Gateway with a 4 year unlimited warranty. Believe me, this warranty plan cost me A LOT of money, over $2000! I have had problems with my computer before and had them fixed. This time my computer breaks and I am refused service. Apparently Gateway sold my warranty to MPC. I contact MPC for warranty work to find out that they have gone bankrupt and liquidated their company. So now I am out of luck, or so I am told.

• Le
    Leonard Jul 07, 2009

After spending over $800 for extensive warranty protection on laptops for my college age daughters, Gateway is now refusing to honor the warranties they sold me. They say they "Sold" my warranty coverage to another company. Guess what... the "Other Company" is going bankrupt. Now I can't get service from Gateway or the bankrupt company. Bottom line... I'm out $800... I paid Gateway for the warranties, Gateway should honor them. Gateway can not be trusted and I would sincerely suggest that anyone considering doing business with Gateway Computers would reconsider. Believe me, it's in YOUR best interest to do so.

Gatew50 Sep 05, 2009

We are enduring a similar horror story on my $4500 computer.
    When we first contacted Gateway with our problem, we were called LIARS when we gave our warranty information (they no longer offer the 4-year "at home" service warranty we purchased).

I have escalated out of Asia's call centers and into Texas. I'm now dealing with Corporate Headquarters in Irvine, CA.

TX and CA have been the rudest of ALL--not to mention arrogant and borderline belligerant!
    They honestly don't give a ### whether you have a problem, that's very, very clear.
    A lead supervisor in Sri Lanka (?) was the nicest and most helpful of all!!

Gateway has become completely dishonest, and has tried to misrepresent *cough LIE cough* about what my warranty does and does not cover. When I ask where they're finding that information in my policy, one rep said, "I don't have to tell you where it says ANYTHING in your policy."
    SNOTTY, SNOTTY, SNOTTY.

They keep wanting ME to pay for services covered under the warranty.
    Conniving deceivers and scammers.
    In short, THEY have breached the agreement/warranty--advising of that is the only way I have been able to get ANY help.

Another victim has posted this:

"Anyone reading this, please contact the South Dakota Attorney Generals Office: 605-773-4400 Fax: 605-773-7163 or www.state. sd. us/atg or mail them at Office of Attorney General 500 East Capital State Capital Building Pierre, SD 57501-5070 Attention: Ms Jill Dean "

Please pass this on!
    Companies like this get away with not backing up their product by making it TO DIFFICULT for you to make them live up to their warranties!! People get so frustrated, they give up and go away.

Wouldn't you just love to file a class-action lawsuit?
    Contact the SD Attorney General so we can band together!!
    2009 has been an all-time low! Don't let them get you!!

Gatew50 Sep 05, 2009

NOTE: pardon all of the typos! i was too upset to proof-read it properly before i posted.

Gatew50 Sep 05, 2009

Also, please feel free to email me YOUR story/personal nightmare with Gateway!

• Db
    dbruce123234 Oct 08, 2009

I purchased a gateway laptop in 2005 with a 10 year warranty that has not been lived up to by gateway. I have 3 usb ports and a screen that need repair. and no one to talk to at either Gateway or MPC who is supposedly handling the warranty issues. Thats a lot of bull. I can't believe that Gateway is allowed to sell off their own warrranty's and that the third party go out of business. Gatway should not be allowed to continue any business if this is their standard procudure. After reading the other complaints I will purchase another computer but never from gateway again. Nor will the my bussiness or kids. Down with GATEWAY,

• Ah
    ahr Nov 04, 2009

Recently purchased a Gateway Laptop At Costco. My problem was a poor battery. Over 5 calls to Gateway, for them finally to send a new battery. To get "expedited" replacement, I needed to give the Rep in India ( should have been a clue!) MY credit card info. That way I was to get the replacement within a shorter period of time.

A word of warning: DO NOT give them your charge information!

My card has been charged MULTIPLE times. Each time I call...on hold in India...Cut off>>>>>>>>>>>>>finally speak to someone in US. By the way, good luck with that!
    Each time, I am the bad guy, even though they have charged my card multiple times when in fact, only 1 "hold" was to be put on the card.

Several calls later...no refunds on the account, even though they have their precious sub par returned battery!

DO NOT buy Gateway, if you want "customer service".

• Cm
    cme2daa Jan 06, 2010

If anyone can figure out how to join this lawsuit, please post.

Do not purchase fromt hem

On September 23, 2007, I purchased a laptop computer from Gateway. I did so because, as a first-year law student, I could not afford to spend a lot of money, and Gateway offered reasonable deals and I could locate very few negative reviews. Because law school lasts for three years, I purchased the extended three-year warranty so that I would be able to make it to graduation without being without a laptop for an extended period of time. In fact, my law school requires that each student have a laptop.

If only I knew then what I know now (famous last words, I know). I received the computer in early October of 2007. Less than nine months after receiving my computer, the power adapter began to have problems. I needed to use a rubber band to keep the power cord connected to the computer so that the computer could charge. Every so often, I would have to readjust the position of the rubber band to make sure that contact was made between the power cord and the computer. Unfortunately, my summer internship required me to bring my own computer to work, and I could not send my computer back to Gateway at that time.

In September of 2008, the problem became completely unavoidable. I contacted Gateway on September 15, 2008, and was told that once received, the repair would take seven to ten business days. I shipped my computer, and it was received by Gateway on Thursday, October 2. Today, December 8, 2008, forty-seven (FORTY-SEVEN!) business days after Gateway received my computer, and sixty-seven total days, I am still without a computer. While not having a computer in this day and age, especially while in law school and with exams beginning this week, is unbearable enough, the ringer I have been put through with Gateway and its customer service is completely unacceptable. I do not wish what I have had to endure on any other consumer.

The following is a log of the times I have contacted Gateway:

� October 7th � e-mail

�With regards to your concern, I have checked and found that your system with serial number [protected] is in repair and SYSTEMBOARD W/ INTEL 943GML W/1394 part are backordered. Please allow 3-5 days for the updates of the service status. Thank you for your patience.�

� October 13th � e-mail

�In checking our database, I have found that our facility is still awaiting for the replacement systemboard that is needed to complete the repair. Kindly again allow three to five business days for a relevant movement on the status.�

� October 20th � e-mail

�Shannon, our database shows that we are still awaiting for the replacement systemboard for your computer. With this, kindly contact our service operations department at the following contact details for more information on this matter and to provide resolution at the soonest.�

� October 29th � e-mail

�With regards to your concern, I have checked and found that your system with serial number [protected] is being repaired and currently waiting for backordered system board with part number 4006174R.�

� October 29th � phone call

After sitting on hold for forty-five minutes, I was informed that the part my computer had been waiting for would be in stock on October 31st. In addition, I was told that I would receive two-day shipping once the repair was complete.

� November 12th � e-mail to make sure that the part was received

�In response to your inquiry on the status of your system, the unit is still in repair and it was on hold for the motherboard. The motherboard for your system is currently on backorder. Please contact us again after a week for the status of your system.�

� November 12th � I called Gateway after receiving the above e-mail. When I asked if I could speak to someone higher up, I was told that the people who were higher up did not have phones; however, I could send a letter.

� November 20th � I received a phone call from Gateway informing me that there was still no definitive date as to when the backordered part would be received. Due to this long delay and the uncertainty of receiving the part, (only 35 business and 49 total days since my computer had been received by Gateway) I was informed that Gateway would be sending me a new computer and that I would still receive two-day shipping.

� December 1st � I still had not received the replacement computer. I was about to call Gateway when I received a call from its customer service department. I was informed that the original replacement was no longer in stock, and that a different replacement would be shipped.

� December 4th � I called to check up on the status of the replacement. I was told that the replacement was on backorder and there was no indication of when it would be shipped. When I asked if I could speak to the manager, I was told that the customer service representative did not have a manager. But, she would connect me with the Escalation Department. While on the phone with a member of the Escalation Department, I was told that I would now receive one-day shipping and that she would call me back later that day because she needed to gather further information. I never heard back from the Escalation Department.

� December 5th- Still no update, but thank you for your patience.

� December 8th � See December 5th. This customer representative said she would call me back. We�ll see if that happens, but I�m not holding my breath.

In sum, DO NOT PURCHASE FROM GATEWAY. You will only receive indefinite answers, unsatisfactory resolutions, be told repeated lies, and use up all of your phone minutes. In addition, the number of times that you are thanked for your patience will make you want to scream bloody murder, not to mention all the tears and curses; the emotional toll this process has taken on me is extremely hard to convey in writing.

I am not sure how a company is allowed to operate like this or how Gateway thinks that customer experiences such as mine will help its business in any way. I wonder how Gateway would operate if its computers were commandeered for over two months. Surely not any better than I will perform on my finals. However, I am positive that if the problem was affecting Gateway, they would respond in a much quicker and efficient manner. Do not purchase from Gateway and / or Acer if you value your sanity and your computer.

• Valerie Dec 11, 2007

I contacted online support at http://www.gateway.com for information about upgrading the memory on my laptop. This was done through a "Secure Chat" session. They assured me it was 3des encrypted. The support tech said he would be happy to assist me with purchasing the memory. I provided him with my credit card number and he placed the order. In about 10 minutes I got a confirmation email for the order, however there was a second order email confirmation for the same exact order being sent to someone else.

I contacted customer service and their party line was "Computer Error" we will contact the other person and have him reorder.

I checked with my credit card company, there was at least 4 orders from Gateway charged to my account.

Today I am unable to contact anybody at Gateway Corporate via phone. They hide really well. Gateway doesn't have a fraud department according to the customer support department.

I would never trust Gateway. While their connection might be secure, they don't seem to take care of making sure their personnel are trustworthy and secure. My guess they outsource this services and they have a problem.

I will never buy Gateway products again.

• Mi
    michael Jan 06, 2009

Our accounting and legal department uses dell and gateway computer systems with a network which is windows based. There has been very little down time and the usage has been 24/7 everyday. The tax manager Mike and the legal dept head Steven has given us the OK to buy more for Sears in Irvine. Now there are eight terminals with enough space for six more. The connection is OC level tier 2. T3 for searsatty

Scam

I don't think they train these people... A former co-worker of mine bought a Gateway PC last May. The hard drive developed bad sectors out of warranty this October. I told him to buy a new one and I would install it and restore his PC. Well the restore disc he had was damaged (scratched) sometime in the year he had it. I first attempted Gateways website to see if I could order a replacement online (Had to do that once before with a friends Sony PC-great exp there). Couldn't find it, but I did see a link to chat online with a tech.

After explaining the situation their online tech (Steve), he confirmed the PC was out of warranty and tried to sell me phone based support. I reminded him that I didn't want/need tech support as the problem was fixed, I just needed a replacement restore disc. He tells me they do not carry them and directs me to an outside company website to buy it. Well I looked on that website and most of what they listed were for older PC's running Windows98 and earlier. I only seen a few XP's and no Vista's. I found a phone number for the company and called, they confirmed they do not carry anything Vista. They specialize in older hardware no longer supported. They did recommend to call Gateway and ask for their parts department as tech support were "idiots", the discs should be in stock.

So I found their number and called their customer service line. I will say Gateway's hold times are better than most, only took about 5 minutes. The guys I talked to (Cody) said they do have the disc (really?), it was $10 for the disc + $10 for regular ground shipping. I explained the situation that my friend was going into the hospital for surgery Monday (11/3) and the needed the disc sooner. I asked if I could get it overnight shipped so I'd have it Friday (10/31). He tells me sure, but the next day shipping will be an additional $10. I said fine $30 is ok and asked to verify it was shipping the same day & also asked where was it shipping from. He said it would ship that day, and it would be coming from Texas.

So Friday passed and no disc, Saturday passed and no disc, finally Monday came and the disc arrives. The label shows "Deliver by 03Nov08", checking the tracking number online it shipped from Washington and it wasn't shipped until the next day. This portion of the blame should be shared by both Gateway (overnight orders shouldn't sit around an extra day) & FedEX (three business days to ship an overnight package?)

General incompetence all around... The first tech should have directed me to customer service to order the disc, the second should have been a little more forthcoming in the shipping. Lastly, FedEx...that's another review.

• Valerie Apr 28, 2008

I needed help with my computer the modem was bad I was told by one of your tech that he could find out what was wrong with it for $59.99 for 30. min. I gave him my computer sn.# and then he ask for my cc# I gave him that. After the payment was comf. he began asking me to do thing to my pc.after 30 min, he told me I was out of time I would have to buy a another 30 min. time computer was not fix but I had to go. I call back latter they asked me for the sn# of my computer he came back and told me he could not help me cos my computer was under warranty until may of 2009. I ask why did I have to pay for your help he gave me no answer I ask a bout a refund he said no I need some to help me get my money back.

• Valerie Aug 26, 2008

MY husband purchased me a new laptop computer 10/06 from Best Buy.Since then the "mother board " has been replaced 3 times since 4/07.Does this seem normal on a NEW computer.It has been sent out to Best Buys service Center 4 times to have repairs.Spoke my frustrations with Best Buy who said that they could not do anything since we did not purchase the extended warranty.I could understand if the computer was 3 years old but for a brand new computer to have this many problems is not right.They directed me to Gateways Corp.Office who is a joke.They are very rude and do not know how to treat a paying customer.I spoke with Jennifer the first time on 7-12-07 who told me that I would need to fax my paperwork so it could be reviewed.At this point my computer had the mother board replaced twice.Once on 4/13/07 and then again on 7/10/07.I never heard anything so I called back and got Erica who says that they never received anything even though I still had my fax sheet saying that it was a successful fax.She stated that at this point that they still would not do anything about it.So sure enough it went out again for the third time and had to be sent back for repair on 9/17/07.I called Erica back to let her know and they were still not willing to exchange my computer because it has been sent to Best Buys service center and their center has not looked at it yet so they sent me a box for me to send it to them when it come back form Best Buy.well I did just that and they sent it right back to me stating that they could not find anything wrong with it.I called Erica back 10/10/07 to let her know that and she said that they would not replace a working unit.I told her that it may be working now but more than likely it will break again in 2-3 months and by then the manufacture warranty will no longer available.She says that they will extend the warranty for 90 more days but if the mother board goes out again after that I will be responsible.I dont think that this is fair.This computer has been in the shop more than I have had it.I spent 1100.00 on a computer that is worthless.PLEASE HELP! Case # with Gateway 204115678

• Hi
    HildaSchmilda Dec 10, 2009

Recently I bought a Gateway desktop computer. I opened the case to install a card but am not able to get the expansion port slot cover off. It appears to be soldered on (which is very strange). I emailed Gateway's support and they told me they don't know how to do this but I could contact the fee-based support. It's unbelievable to me they don't know how their own case works. I'm wondering if it's a scam to drive business to their fee-based support.

How to file an arbitration complaint with Gateway

There is no need for me to post my specific problems with Gateway tech support and warranties. The web i...

Scam and cheating

I received a letter telling me that I won the 2nd category in the amount of 100, 000.00USD through entry in...

Bad service

In May 2007 I bought 2 Gateway laptop computers from Best Buy. Computer #1 was returned to Best Buy, within 3...

Stolen credit card number by employee

I contacted customer servive and their party line was "Computer Error" we will contact the other person and have him reorder.

I would neve trust Gateway. While their connection might be secure, they don't seem to take care of making sure their personnel are trustworthy and secure. My guess they outsource this services and they have a problem.

I will never buy Gateway products again.

Scam and cheating!

Whatever you do if these cold callers call you. They trap you and say that you already have a listing with...

Deferred payment plan not received!

I applied for an HSN credit card to purchase the Gateway Laptop MT6460 that was advertised on HSN channel on television where payment would be deferred for one year. I was approved for the credit card account and the laptop was received. They requested payments almost immediately! Before we were aware of it my account was closed, reflecting negatively on my credit report. Several attempts were made to talk with the customer service/collection department to find the reason why my payments were not deferred for one years as promised thru the advertisement with the purchase of the laptop computer that day. No explanation has ever been given. I am only shifted around to other departments and I have never received an explanation. Late charges have accrued. The laptop has been placed under my husbands name and account as they continue to requests the payments, not placing them on the one year deferment as advertised. I can no longer call or discuss the matters on the account since it is no longer in my name.

Poor customer service!

Walked into Best Buy in St Pete Florida on 66 to pick up 2 LCD tv's we purchased on line for store pick...

Very rude customer support

Gateway - www.gateway.com

A week ago my mom accidentally uninstalled the sound card from our computer. I know, a goofy thing to do, but accidents happen. After trying to figure it out by myself, I used Gateway's online tech support for help.

The first night I kept on getting disconnected, so no help there, where I spoke to five different people who could not help me. The second day I talked to four people, who just couldn't figure it out what was going wrong. One tech named Angelica, was actually quite good and patient, and she took her time helping me download the driver. But alas, she was disconnected and I could not get her back.

Which leads us to Quentin. Ah, Quentin. I told him that I was quite frustrated and then he responded with did I try installing it in safe mode. I said I didn't think so, but asked for further clarification. He said that it was when you use the BIOS device at the beginning. I said yes, I tried that. Then he said "Well, which is it, you did or didn't? You aren't telling the truth here." Please keep in mind that I was so frazzled by then that I didn't know what I had tried. I asked him to please help me because I felt confused. He said to me that "you aren't being true in your answers."

Now I was ticked. I asked to speak to another tech. He refused. He then told me that I had to be patient while he was troubleshooting, then said to reinstall Windows XP. I said that seemed a bit extreme. He said that in order to get the sound back, it was the only way. Then he said: "When people work with computers, this is how we find answers. Your only answer is to reinstall Windows XP and then it will work." I was so incensed by then I typed back: "You are very rude and very condescending, and I rather not have sound on my computer at all than to continue this session."

It looks like I might have to pay thirty dollars to get another sound card reinstalled, but I rather pay that than deal with Mr. Quintin again.

Lemon Gateway

Gateway - www.gateway.com

We purchased a new Gateway desktop in August of 2006 and we just got it back for the fourth time (not to mention a keyboard, hard drive and software patch at various times along the way in between). We've lost valuable files, pictures an countless hours reinstalling software each time. It went back three times for the same problem and yet they refuse to replace it! The power supply cords are too short to allow installation of a second hard drive and they refuse to do anything about that at all. What a schmuck company.

When they don't take care of an individual like me who's spent several thousands of dollars with them, Lord only knows how their E-Machine customers will fare.

I guess that's why they're going under.

• Sh
    Shana Elguezabal Dec 09, 2007

We purchased our GT4024 in July of '06. Motherboard went out in Oct. '06. Fixed and returned to us in October of '06. Woke up last Sunday to learn that the hard drive had gone out. Gateway and Best Buy say sorry, no warranty, not our problem! What a waste of money!

Worthless computer

Gateway Computers & Home Electronics - www. gateway. com

MY husband purchased me a new laptop computer 10/06 from Best Buy. Since then the "mother board " has been replaced 3 times since 4/07. Does this seem normal on a NEW computer. It has been sent out to Best Buys service Center 4 times to have repairs. Spoke my frustrations with Best Buy who said that they could not do anything since we did not purchase the extended warranty. I could understand if the computer was 3 years old but for a brand new computer to have this many problems is not right. They directed me to Gateways Corp. Office who is a joke. They are very rude and do not know how to treat a paying customer. I spoke with Jennifer the first time on 7-12-07 who told me that I would need to fax my paperwork so it could be reviewed. At this point my computer had the mother board replaced twice. Once on 4/13/07 and then again on 7/10/07. I never heard anything so I called back and got Erica who says that they never received anything even though I still had my fax sheet saying that it was a successful fax. She stated that at this point that they still would not do anything about it. So sure enough it went out again for the third time and had to be sent back for repair on 9/17/07. I called Erica back to let her know and they were still not willing to exchange my computer because it has been sent to Best Buys service center and their center has not looked at it yet so they sent me a box for me to send it to them when it come back form Best Buy. Well I did just that and they sent it right back to me stating that they could not find anything wrong with it. I called Erica back 10/10/07 to let her know that and she said that they would not replace a working unit. I told her that it may be working now but more than likely it will break again in 2-3 months and by then the manufacture warranty will no longer available. She says that they will extend the warranty for 90 more days but if the mother board goes out again after that I will be responsible. I dont think that this is fair. This computer has been in the shop more than I have had it. I spent 1100.00 on a computer that is worthless.

• Th
    The Customer Apr 08, 2008

Kathleen Weimar
    Office of the Attorney General
    100 W Randolph St
    Chicago, IL 60601

Ms. Weimar,

These ongoing negotiations with Gateway are redundant and are bordering on ridiculous. How many times do I have to address the same issues that have been presented in my previous correspondence?

1.) The phone support personnel at Gateway had determined that the failure of the motherboard was the reason the PCMCIA card slot will not to power up and that the computer would have to be returned to Gateway to have the motherboard replaced. However each time the computer is returned to Gateway, the motherboard is not replaced, which would solve the problem. The computer is ultimately returned to me as No Trouble Found/No Failure Claim Description Provided.

2.) The Sprint equipment and software did in fact work in the Gateway computer for approximately eight months, so we do know that the equipment and software are compatible with the Gateway computer.

3.) The Sprint equipment and software are currently working optimally in a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer. This would in fact prove that there is nothing wrong with the Sprint Mobile Broadband Service or the equipment provided by Sprint. The attempt by Dixie Radakovich to shift the cause of the failure to Sprint is an obvious red herring, when in fact the failure of the Gateway computer is the issue being discussed here.

4.) The computer as purchased from Gateway is in fact sold as ready to upgrade to Windows Vista and includes a certificate for a free operating system upgrade from Microsoft. Dixie Radakovich is obviously unaware of how these systems are shipped and sold as she contends that installing this software, Windows Vista, “could significantly cause problems”.

5.) I have used the Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 With Update Rollup 2 CD supplied by Gateway with the purchase of the computer and restored the system to the original factory settings. However the PCMCIA card slot will not supply power to a PCMCIA card when inserted in the computer.

I have done some research on the internet with my Toshiba laptop computer and the Sprint Mobile Service, the same service that will not work on a Gateway computer. I have found a pattern in the way Gateway handles any reported problems with the low quality products that they produce. The customer is required to send the failing product to the Gateway service department numerous times, with no service being performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they are in a position to refuse to repair the equipment.

I am asking you to intervene and force an obviously poorly managed organization, bordering on criminal, to replace the product I have been sold with a new, not refurbished computer, which Gateway seems to prefer as method of resolving frustrated consumers complaints.

Horrific customer service

On 2/28/06 I purchased a eMachines package deal from Best Buy. I had the unit for about nine months when the problems began. The computer required several attempts to boot up. I called Gateway tech. service for help with the problem, but everything we tried did not help. Called a second time, same results. I informed the tech. that I was going to bring the unit into Best Buy for testing, which is an authorized repair facility for Gateway. The testing cost me $69.00, the results, a hardware problem. The unit was returned to me with the motherboard replaced. I had to return on 2/27/07, one day before the warranty was to expire, with the same problem. Again, a motherboard was installed. The machine seemed to be working fine until 7/11/07, when at this point, it would not boot up at all. Brought it back to Best Buy and was told that it was past warranty, and that I would have to deal with Gateway.

I called the tech. service number and explained my problem. I was told to write to Consumer Service and enclose the repair records. The person who called, was rude and almost robotic in the way she explained their answer to my letter. I was not going to receive any service, replacement, or refund for the machine because I did not have the repairs done by Gateway and the warranty was over. When I explained that the problem started while under warranty, and had not been repaired successfully, she said they did not repair it so they have no records of repair. I told this person I thought she was being rude, she hung up on me.

Next, I wrote to the "Executive Response Team". Received a call from Gateway. To my horror, same women, same answers. Not as rude this time, but I sensed a hint of enjoyment in her voice. I will next try the Attorney General's Office of SD, BBB, local television station. I will not quit until I have exhausted all my options.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices