Having problems with Fox Rent A Car?

Fox Rent A Car reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jan 22, 2007. The latest review Abusive administrative fees for tolls was posted on Aug 24, 2021. The latest complaint Breakdown and renting out a car with 71,000 miles on it was resolved on Jul 16, 2021. Fox Rent A Car has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 55 reviews. Fox Rent A Car has resolved 19 complaints.

Fox Rent A Car Customer Service Contacts

+1 323 593 7489 (Billing Questions & Feedback)
+1 323 593 7487 (Extending Your Rental)
+1 323 593 7486 (For Existing Reservations)
+1 323 593 7490 (Emergency Roadside Assistance)
+1 323 593 7485 (For New Reservations)
5500 W Century Blvd
Los Angeles, California
United States - 90045-5914

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Fox Rent A Car Customer Service. Initial Fox Rent A Car complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Fox Rent A Car above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Fox Rent A Car. Discuss the issues you have had with Fox Rent A Car and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Fox Rent A Car Complaints & Reviews, Page 3

Fox Rent A Car — no replies on lost & found

Absolutely NO after customer service for Lost & Found department. Emailed and called many times to their Lost...

Fox Rent A Car — scam and overcharge

Never rent a car from Fox Rental car unless you want to ruin your trip. I rent a car from Fox for my La...

Fox Car Rentalscam

Just rented a car from FOX in San Diego. Not my choice, but got it through Expedia with a package deal. Reserved a compact because that was all we needed, Tried to upgrade me 3 times at the counter, refused. No big deal, a lot of car places try to do this to make an extra buck. Then tried to scare me into getting their insurance. What a crock! I already knew my insurance covered me. What ticked me off and will make me never use their rentals again is that the car they gave us only had 1/4 tank of gas in it!!! I said, the tank isn't even filled and they played it off like no big deal, just bring it back at 1/4 tank. Nice way to make money on their end. Who is going to make sure their tank is exactly 1/4 tank? I did just for them not having the satisfaction. Pain in the *** though. You bring it back at 1/2 tank and they make an extra $15 at gas @ $4.50 gal. What a cheap way to do business! Won't ever use them again because of it. If it had not been for this, I might reconsider, but too late.

• Un
      Underthewire Jun 20, 2011

Returnes a rental to Fox in Las Vegas on the 21st, of May and left several messages in an attempt to get it back!. Not one returned call'. I am still attempting to retrieve a corporate number to speak to someone of authority if one exists/.

I left the rental RA# and all the required information, . Since the handicap sign is for my wife's disability, one would think there would be a since ot importance placed upon it's return, .

After reading several other reviews, I wonder if Fox rentals has an issue with their employee base as to lost and found items being returned when notified:.

Not a good way to run a people business in my humble opinion:.

• De
      Dead83 May 03, 2011

We recently rented a Chevy from Fox Car Rental near LAX. When we were driving the car out of the lot, we heard a noise and asked them to check it out, which they said was coming from the AC. Not too long after we got out, smoke started coming out of the car engine. We ran back to the car rental at night, and told them about it. They didn't believe us, and went to retreive the car, and said, "Oh there is smoke coming out of the engine." They just gave us another car to rent. No apology. We overheard a worker saying "Hey, wasn't this car recalled by the manufacturer?" So there you have it... they put out a car that was supposed to be recalled, and put our life in danger, and no apology. Oh, that and all the hidden fees for renting a car that they do not mention up front. I will never do business with Fox again.

foxrentacarrents cars that don't lock

Fox rental car in Denver gave us a car that had electrical problems. The doors would not lock with the key-less entry. We had 2 bags stolen because we thought the car was locked. When we returned the car, 3 Fox employees told us there has been electrical problems with the Hyundai Elantras.

I spoke to the manager, Mitch Osborn, he told me that there is nothing wrong with the cars. I spoke to his manager, Lisa Curtis, who was very rude and would continually interrupt me as I was explaining the situation.

They are renting cars with known problems.

DO NOT RENT FROM FOX!

• Je
        JenSSF May 26, 2011

After trying to contact Fox 6 times about being over-charged, I received 1 response months after that asked me to call stating what the issue was. I'd already contacted them 2-3 times prior to this message explaining the issue in great detail (including customer number, confirmation codes, dates, etc.). So, I AGAIN gave the info and have yet to receive a response 3 months later. Their customer service is pathetic and I'm disgusted with the situation. I'll GLADLY pay twice the money to another company that will actually treat me as a valued customer with dignity and respect.

Fox Rent A CarI was very disappointed with my experience at fox rental

On another number I found they kept putting me on hold and not picking back up. Once I finally did get my new car (hours later taking up much vacation time, and still not getting an economy car) we were on our way down to Big Sur. This car (a PT cruiser) was much better, but it turned out that the air bag light/chime would go off repeatedly throughout the next couple of days.

Fox Car Rentalovercharging

I reserved a car with Fox Payless online and my reservation said the estimated cost would be 152.00 for 1 week's rental, including tax.

Imagine my shock when the actual price at return was MORE THAN DOUBLE! An astonishing 313.00!

I felt I was misled by the agent when I picked up the car. She asked, "Now will you be having the minimum coverage? or basic coverage?" She made it sound like the "minimum" and the "basic" was the same. I said, "Just the basic, " because I have coverage.

I signed No in about 5 or 6 places, saying I wasn't accepting various coverage. But somehow I got charged for collision insurance! And then more taxes.

I don't care what their excuse is, to have a fee of MORE THAN DOUBLE when you return the car is thievery. I may or may not challenge it on my credit card. My guess is ultimately I will be responsible for signing. But I would never have signed anything for a 313 dollar one week rental. Oh well. They may have won 150 extra from me. But they're not getting my business ever again!

• La
            lalanu Jun 28, 2012

Take them to Small Claims Court, you will win - many others have!

• Ru
            RU STUPID?!? Jun 28, 2012

That is right! You are the idiot who signed the paper with the exact total on it. You are lucky it did not ask you for a kindney or you would really be screwed. I hope you have learned to READ b4 SIGNING!
            As for the place you rented from... DUH!!! Payless is one company and FOX is a completely separate company.
            You may want to acknowlege which company you rented from. Just because they share a counter means nothing.

• La
            lalanu Mar 06, 2011

Typical of Fox. Next time use a well known national company, cause nothing comes cheap

Fox Rent A Carlabeled us as undesirable customer

Ordered SUV online and it went through just fine. Get to counter in LA and we are told that both my husband & I are labeled "undesirable customers" & they cannot rent to us. No explanation & told that department is closed on Saturdays so you will have to rent from somewhere else. Asked if maybe we had an outstanding issue regarding an accident from previous rentals that was years before! We told her no. As far as we knew we were in good standing with Fox. We always returned the cars in the same condition as when rented, never heard from anyone afterwards regarding any issues either. Had to go to Thrifty and pay 60+ more to rent a small car vs. an SUV. Called on Monday and was put into a voicemail where you leave a message & they tell you they will contact you within 48 hours. NO CALL. Sent emails...no response...these people don't give a CRAP about their customers. This was FOX's mistake and I'm sure they figured that out and don't want to admit it because I intend to demand to be reimbursed for the money we are out. Don't ever rent from these guys!! They are the worst. Plus when you do rent you have to wait FOREVER for the shuttle as they only have one compared to all the other rental companies. And then you usually are stuck waiting in REALLY long and slow lines. Not worth any amount of money you think you will save. They are the WORST!! Run do not walk to the next car rental company. You will be glad that you did.

Fox Rent A Car — fraud

I rented an SUV from Fox Rent a Car for a week followed by a sedan for five days. When I returned the SUV, I...

Fox Rent A Carworst customer service

I rented a car at a weekly rate, however, I was debating if I should return it early, since I can take the hotel shuttle to the airport in the morning and just return the car the evening before at 10pm and not pay an extra day. I was told that if I return the car 1 day early, I would get a partial refund from the weekly rate, which is what is listed on the contract. When I returned the car 1 day early, as mentioned above, the customer service agent says that he’s not authorized to do a refund and the manager is no longer on duty and gave me the manager’s extension. When I called back the next morning, the manager did not pick up. I called 5+ times and left 2 voice messages. I never got a return call. I called the central customer service number and they said that based on the return, my rates automatically increase by $10 per day because I returned the car early, which puts me at a rate HIGHER than the weekly rate. So, in essence, I never got a refund and might incur an additional charge for returning the car early. Their customer service is extremely poor – the worst I’ve ever had. The funny thing is that if you call them, and you’re placed on hold (occurs often), … they emphasized the importance of customer service… what a joke!

Also, beware…. They have a lot of non-standard charges that only FOX rentacar charges. They even say that they’re the only ones that charge them and they make you buy insurance for it. For example, if you get into an accident, not only do you have to pay for the damages to the car (or your insurance pays it), but, you also have to cover the time the car is in the shop for (or the time the car could have been rented). So, if the car takes 10 days to fix, then, you are billed for 10 days, as though you’re using it. Because, they expect all of their cars to be making money for them 24x7x365. They even say that NO insurance out there will pay this part.. so, you’re forced to buy this insurance or sign that you acknowledge it and will pay it. So, the saving that you get from FOX will be offset by these additional charges.

• Kc
                kchampag Nov 07, 2009

I was very disappointed with my experience at Fox Rental. I arrived in San Francisco to discover that they had overbooked the economy cars and that all they had available was a mini-van. So, I took the mini-van temporarily and was told to come back when they got more cars in to switch out the car. It is extremely hard to park a mini-van in San Francisco! The next day I went back to exchange the car. There was a 2-3 hour line to get through just to talk with an agent. Also, the previous day the agent gave me a card with contact numbers to call for assistance. This was a dead end number that nobody ever picked up on. So I had to leave messages. On another number I found they kept putting me on hold and not picking back up. Once I finally did get my new car (hours later taking up much vacation time, and still not getting an economy car) we were on our way down to Big Sur. This car (a PT cruiser) was much better, but it turned out that the air bag light/chime would go off repeatedly through out the next couple of days. I cannot tell you the stress of being in a strange car and having to worry the airbags might go off at any time while you are driving along a cliff near the ocean. Having to listen to the very loud chime noise over and over and over really sucked as well. Additionally, the power plug in the car provided did not work so we were not able to listen to any music in Big Sur. Overall it took quite a lot away from our supposed relaxing vacation. Frankly, I would like a full refund, but I have heard nothing back in response to my complaint.

• Ni
                Nick Aug 10, 2009

I have never been as disappointed, harassed, yelled at, terribly offended, threatened with very offensive words as I have been by the staff from FOX rental at their San Jose location, in particular a group of men with the names of Andres, Michael and Daniel. These men are very rude, unprofessional and in extreme cynical when it comes to attend a costumer with a complaint. In my case this is the fourth time I deal with them when they haven’t honored any of the rates I have brought along with me, these printed rates that I have presented, usually take a lot of trouble in finding in the internet, sometimes by searching for days at the time, they don’t care if you carry a print out which states very clearly, the rates shown there are final and non changeable, they completely ignore all of this and simply charge you anything they want arguing whatever excuse, from extra drop off fares to mysterious taxes.

Their webpage also advertises low prices and when it comes to make a reservation for the days they promote, they come up with an entire different and much higher rate. I once tried to call them to find out the reason they quoted this advertising differently, and they told me their rates change by the day, but in my opinion, they just don’t want to help out and have the best excuse to ignore any complaint. I never got a satisfactory answer or solution from them. I consider this a complete and horrible scam.

I would never rent back from them, it is not worth the money you save, I much rather pay more and receive a good service from another company. It is a shame that after so many complaints I made, and even some of the complaints I read in these sites, they cover up for themselves; their supervisor protects their behavior, and they do absolutely nothing about it. They continue allowing these same men work there piling up a number of complaints after sending you a lame message back making you feel like you deserved to be priced and treated that way. Their service is extremely deplorable, despicable, unethical and outrageous. I would strongly suggest for any costumer to NEVER do business with FOX.

Fox Rental Carscam charges

I needed to rent a car for 4 days to drive from San Diego to Los Angeles. My mom and I looked online and booked a car at Fox Rental Car by the San Diego Airport, because it was only going to be around $70. I got to Fox Rental and they didn't have the reservation. Fine- no prob, we'll start over. So the guy, Luis, who was very helpful, booked me another car and got everything arranged. He asked for my card to put the deposit down and all was good. I took off in a super fun Jeep Wrangler. When I brought the vehicle back to the lot, they were really busy and had a looooong line. Some guy at the counter said that anyone who was dropping off a vehicle could just give the keys to the parking lot attendant. So I walked outside and he asked if I had gotten into any accidents etc; and I said no. He didn't go look at the Jeep but said I was good to go anyways. Easy enough- right? I tell the man that I want to pay the total on my debit card instead of my credit card. Luis (the same man who initially helped me) said that they system was down but he could write down my card number. Fine- whatever. About an hour later I find out that I may be going to Phoenix after this trip instead of going home to Minnesota. So I call the rental place and ask them to put the total on my credit card instead of my debit card. No problem- all taken care of. The next day I get a call form Visa Fraud Protection or something like that asking me about 2 recent transactions totaling $484 on my account from Fox Rental Cars and some other place. I was like WTF- no I don't approve them. I pull out my laptop and see that Fox not only charged my Capital One credit card in the amount of $373.48, they also charged my debit card for $279!!! I have no idea what the F is going on and immediately cancel my debit card and try contacting Fox. Of course the 800 number gives me a local number and their message board is too full to receive any more messages. I began a claim dispute yesterday so hopefully it'll get taken car of asap. But when I was trying to find the local number for Fox, I ran across a ton a customer complaints regarding this particular location. So I thought I'd add my own and save somebody else a headache...

• Lg
                  LG75 Dec 16, 2011

Scam on the rental policy! I asked several times before renting what my final charge would be. They flat out lied. Charged much more than the original paperwork showed. Seedy business, seedy employees. Do not rent here! Buyer Beware!

• Om
                  Omar May 01, 2009

Fox Rent A Car — not trustworthy

We decided to give a try for Fox rent a car because of the cost...Yet, should haven known - you get what you...

Fox Rent A Car — scam charge

I rented a car from May first to the 7th and from 8th to 12th respectively. I didn't know that I was not...

Fox Rent A Carfox rent a car

My story is the same as others who have complained about Fox Rent A Car. Unless you take out their insurance, Fox will take advantage of you. Happened to me at LAX. I left their lot at night in a black car and didn't really inspect it, the guy at the exit gate did. By daylight I could see there were some minor scratches on it, but so what. I really didn't think twice, you see this stuff on many rental cars. With Fox, unless you personally inspect every tiny scratch on the car and mark it down, they will find something when you return it and try to charge you excessive repair costs. If they get your insurance to pay, they'll take the money and run, won't fix the scratches, and charge the next unsuspecting customer to pay for the same scratch all over again. Avoid this company at all costs. Their rates are so cheap because they make their money by scamming renters.

Fox Rent A Carhorrible customber service

I rented a car at LAX and had the worst experience ever. Most concerning of all is that they mandate that you sign the damage form before inspecting the vehicle!!! You end up signing a blank form for them and they fill out any damages on the vehicle that they see fit, without your input!! Also, they still believe that they can force you to obtain the liability insurance even though they have been sued by the state of California for such practices!!! I'll never go back to FOX.

• Cu
                      Cunning Linguist Jun 25, 2018

pole smokers, every one of them.

Joel D. Bustamante Jun 21, 2007

COMPLAINT!!!

I never got any problems with Enterprice before until now… First of all, I want you to know guys that honesty is important and stealing is NOT good… My name is Joel D. Bustamante and I rent a Nissan car the 05/31/07 around 4:30 Pm to 5:00 Pm and I returned the next day around 6:15 Pm to 6:30 Pm. I told my friend to get a video around the car to have proved that we do not have any scratch on the car and the car we returned in good condition. We drop the keys on the dropping box and I ask the lady on the Enterprice, before on Winchester that I need it for one day... “NOT TWO DAYS” and she told me if I get there on the same day or night; I can drop the keys and by Saturday I do not get charge... “SO... IS ONE DAY” I said to her fine and I pay $185.33 and I get my $100 when I get back if is in good condition... that’s fine… so she give me the car with ½ a tank full that’s fine and I returned almost empty so you can take like 30$ off... that’s fair NOT $127.83... but they took $27.83 the 06/04/07 and I do not get anything back… so, why you guys have to steal money from me? That’s my question? I got the video of the day thanks god and I have witness and receive to prove in court. You have to know is not because the money is the lies and the stealing part… because, I went early in the morning around 9:00 Am To 9:30Am to the Winchester location and they told me that I have it for 2 days and that is a lie and not true… I got prove so…that’s not the first time that I rent a car. And I rent a Truck before in New circle Road and in Winchester too… I hope you guys take this in consideration or I’ll take other ways if you guys want to go to court I’m ready for... so I hope this letter get to the responsible.

P.S. Deposit the 100$ back to my account before Saturday.

Thanks

Fox Rent A Carrent it from an agency which cares more for its reputation!

We rented a car from Fox rent a car from the san diego aiport. As others have also told you have to wait for around 30-60 mins before you get their shuttle.

This shuttle took us to a creepy looking office. Tha parkign space where the cars were parked was dimmly lit. We had asked for a Mustang and as usual they did not have it and they offered us free upgrade. The frustrating part was that he did not have enough vehicles to choose from for an upgrade. We finally decided (due to lack of options) to rent a Prius (which actually is cheaper than a Prius in terms of its cost, I don't know how it qualifies as an upgrade, lol). We did not take their insurance as we had our own GEICKO.
                    Due to the lighting conditions and our impatience (we waited there for more than an hour just trying to get that car) we just had a cursory look at the physical condition of the car. After driving some distance we actually noticed that the car bumper was chipped of the paint on one side. We rented the car for 5 days and then returned back; we did not have any accident/incident. The rental guy inspected the car and checked it in.
                    After 3 months we got a call from the collection agency that we owe them approx $5500 for damages to the car. On investigation they said that
                    1. the rear seat belts were missing (we never used the back seat and as such never noticed whether it was there or not)
                    2. The car door is scratched and so they replaced both the doors.
                    3. Loss of income due to inability to rent the car during repairs & admin fees

FYI you can get a brand new Prius for approx $20,000. So we were charged with more than 1/4 price of the car for a damages which we don't know ever existed while we had the possession of the car and for the damages which were never found during their checkin inspection.

(FYI most car rental agreements have it that they can inspect the car post delivery at their time of convenience, but before renting to a new customer).

Now comes the even crazier part of it. When we contacted our insurance guys, they talked to us in a tone that implied that this is very normal practice most car rentals follow to make money and most of the legal clauses in the agreement put you in a position from where they are always right and we are always wrong.

Lessons Learnt:
                    1. Don't rent a car unless there is no other option
                    2. Rent it from an agency which cares more for its reputation
                    3. Irrespective of your insurance status, buy their insurance, and you might be saved of all the deductible and possible premium increase situations
                    4. Inspect the car thoroughly, take its pictures, and best thing I would suggest to everyone is to make your own template of car rental agreement with your clauses written and ask their guys to sign it (If we can get it it would be great)

SandraCip Mar 24, 2019

Having only 2-3 persons processing the line when you have a beautiful kiosk area w/at least 5-6 more desks to get people processed It is inexcusable letting people wait in a long when they are on a vacation.Wait with kids and luggage impatiently for their vaca to begin. I took the pic of the line after waiting 15-20 mins &there is a line behind me

Comments

• Cl
                        claudia saenz Apr 17, 2009

John Daves Feb 07, 2007

Fox Rent a Car is a cheap company that hires people who are unable to provide the customer service required. Our experience was not as bad, but nevertheless we will not rent from them again. No wonder they just settled a law suite for over a million dollars for violating their customer's privacy by tacking them down with GPS.