Forever 21return policy

Yesterday I purchased several items at this store. I was in a rush and couldn't decide between three different belts to go with a dress I had at home and figured I could try them out and see which I liked best and then return the other two. I even mentioned this to the cashier, but it was only AFTER he had charged my credit card that he explained that Forever 21's return policy does not allow the items to be returned for cash or for the amount to be credited back to my card -- it's store credit only and just for 21 days. Never have I ever heard of such a policy outside of clearance sales, or stores going out of business. I even had the cashier repeat the policy to me because I thought I had misheard him. Nowhere in the store is it clearly posted that this is their policy and I thought it was quite convenient for it to be mentioned only after I had purchased the items. Today I called Forever 21's customer service line to lodge a complaint and was told after holding for 10 minutes that all complaints must be in writing via the website, where I am sure my complaint will be ignored. In exchange for my $30, Forever 21 has just guarenteed that I will never do business with them again and I will let all my friends know about this sneaky return policy.

• Pa
    Pat Linehan May 08, 2009

After wearing a top once I washed and dried it, It shrunk to the point that I could not wear it. when I returned it to the store the manager, Cindy, at the Westfield mall told me that the return policy said the tags had to be on, and not worn or washed. I asked to exchange it for another top of the same type and she refused. Tags, off, worn, washed, no return. She was adamant. When I asked if she was willing to lose me as a customer she reiterated the policy. She stated she always line dries her clothes so hers don't shrink but this is not stated in the wash dry instructions. Forever 21 just lost a customer.

• Re
    realist May 08, 2009

are you serrious???? You cant wear something, wash it, dry it, and then expect someone to take it back. OMG. Even teenagers know this, thus the reason the 'tuck the tags' make sure not to get the item dirty and then take it back to get money back, or exchange. But serriously you shrunk the shirt, did you bother reading the tag, dry on low heat, lay flat to dry, maybe dryclean only??? You cant return it. Get a life.

akb154 May 14, 2009

I'm agreeing with the last respondent on this one. Although I am an assoc. of Forever 21, I was never the kind of shopper like our customers are. I would never not check my receipt before trying to return something. Let alone wear something - with the tags off, wash it, and try to return it after I wasn't careful enough handling it. Whenever I buy something and it doesn't pass the laundry test I blame it on myself, NOT THE COMPANY. It's just common sense to me, as a consumer and not just a retail employee.

akb154 May 14, 2009

I'm also so sick of people saying the company is losing a customer. I would never dream of going somewhere and making an ### out of myself by saying that. You MUST know that no one cares. Especially amidst a multi-million dollar company.

• Re
    realist May 15, 2009

LOL I love when customers say any company is losing a customer. When I was 16 I actually had the nerve to tell a customer YEAH THATS GOING TO LOSE US A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY.
    What the person who is complaining bought one shirt??? OMG really, you dont make them that much money in the first place. It was your fault the shirt shrunk in the first place, if it really meant that much to you have you heard of a DRY CLEANER???? Give it a break really

• Bo
    Boop May 16, 2009

Since the shirt was probably no more than 20 dollars, you should have just bit the bullet and realized your mistake. Forever21 clothes are not well-made so they cant last in the dryer. I'm sure the washing instructions on the tag indicated that you could fluff-air or line-dry.

You have to be kidding to think any major store would take back a worn and washed item w/ no tags. Even if it wasn't shrunk, people generally wouldn't want to buy a used item. Go to plato's closet and hopefully you'll get 2 bucks.

Kudos to the store manager for not bending over backwards for your mistake, since it probably would have came out of her pocket to return it.

• Lo
    Loie Jul 02, 2009

I had a similar experience - the shirt that I bought was DEFECTIVE -it had holes that were obviously from the material disintegrating and they would not let me return it - Even though they say this is their policy, I think it is unreasonable considering the fact they sell such poor quality clothing. Is that why they have this policy, I wonder?

Anonymous Aug 20, 2009

Loie, if it had holes in it, why would you buy it?

To the OP, no store would let you return a worn, washed, and dried item of clothing.

• Pe
    penny101 Aug 31, 2009

If you want quality clothing, service, etc, be willing to spend a little more money. It is ridiculous that you would consider complaining about something your own fault. Forever21 offers lower quality merchandise to match the price they sell it for. There is no reason you should have expected the manager to return your worn and washed item for any reason.

akb154 Jan 06, 2010

The point is people get mad at the company and take it out on people who work there who most likely are stuck in retail against their will. I was there for a year and 8 months, with a Bachelors of Science degree in Business on my resume, and I had people getting in my face 35 hrs a week because I was doing my job. And they couldn't make things either on us both by having some common sense and looking at the damn receipt before waltzing into the store like everything was gonna go their way. It's simple, when you make the decision that you don't like an item that you bought, you check your receipt for the return policy. The amount of grown women who can't do that is astronomical.
    I'm not about fighting online but I'm tryin to un-confuse you when you say, "WHY would forever 21 make their products good quality, when they know they will not allow returns, so why not just make them shoddy for bigger profits?". Here's the cycle. the company does make "shoddy" items (the point you were making in the first place), which is why their pricing is so low(yes some items are just as much as something you might find at Penneys, but if you compared you would see they are more affordable still). In addition, not giving money back is also how the prices maintain a low. Giving a store credit for a piece of clothing that's being returned in recycling our money. And for the record, we're not dumb, we know the policy sucks, and I think you should know that associates aren't permitted any store credits or exchanges. So when you feel that you're "stuck" with an item, you have no idea what stuck means. The bottom line is that we're paid to stand our ground and follow the policy, and the stores themselves cannot do anything to change the policy. The ratio of customers that leave saying they'll never come back does not scare us, it doesn't effect us.

• Co
    ComplaintBoard Feb 02, 2010

This just happened to me today as well. It was never posted that they would keep my money essentially giving them an interest free loan. It is common knowledge people lose or have stolen store gift cards not to mention some expire. Since there are no signs posted, this is theft. Why would I want to use the card now knowing what I know? I can't believe they haven't been sued. They are deceiving people who expect to conduct business under the normally accepted standards for the sale of American apparel and then entering them into lifetime contracts where they hold the borrowed monies indefinitely without consent or recourse. This is illegal, because companies have to say all sales are final when they sell that clearance merchandise, hence you see the sign before you buy it not on the receipt after you purchased it. They are not conducting business under the assumed and accepted standards as required by law.

jaymi Feb 14, 2010

Oh my god, seriously? Im so sick of listening to people WHINE about the return policy, GET OVER IT.

MAAAANNNNNN May 15, 2010

my pants are too big, bought less than a week ago. can I take them back for something smaller in the waist? I don't have a receipt or tags. They don't want a fatty reppin' their brand right? can I tell the clerk that I could look way better in my heritage '81s, so I need a better fit? and what if I wink a lot?

• Ki
    Killa Jun 19, 2010

ComplaintBoard (or the person commenting above me) obviously doesn't understand that Forever 21 is a PRIVATE company and can chose whatever kind of return/exchange policy it likes. Yes, the store policy sucks, I know. But that's what it is. And to A.Jane, you should have complained to the manager if the cashier really only explained this to you AFTER charging your card.

I work for Forever 21 (UNFORTUNATELY), but I'm really tired of people complaining about the return policy. The majority of the people who are complaining about it are people who frequently shop there. All Forever 21 stores that I've been to not only have signs in front of each register explaining the policy, but the cashier also explains the policy to you AND it is printed on the receipt. I had lady come in today and complain that there was hole a dress she just bought and wanted to return it for cash back. I explained our policy to her and she grumbled about it but exchanged the dress anyway. Less than hour later she came back to my register and bought almost $100 worth of stuff. Explain that to me.

Here is something that I've learned to do before I buy anything at ANY store I'm unfamiliar with - ASK WHAT THE RETURN POLICY IS BEFORE YOU BUY. That way, if you don't like the policy, you don't shop there. Simple. A lot of stores like Forever 21 have identical policies and if you don't take the time to learn what they are, it's partly your fault if you're now out x amount of dollars.

• Mi
    midge87 Aug 09, 2010

How is it fair that you take their item they could have sold to someone who actually wanted it?
    I know, your world is a big fashion venue and you can take and return things as you please and damn anyone you may inconvenience but perhaps you were venturing into the real world where you can't just be an entitled [censor] and the world doesn't start and stop on your whim.

• 10
    102791 Feb 17, 2011

This is why you should always ask about the return policy before shopping anywhere. Don't assume that everyone is the same. An you CAN get a refund from Forever 21, but you have to fill out a form and wait for a check to arrive.

• Ms
    Ms Ashleyt Mar 21, 2011

Purchased several items from forever 21 March 19, 2011 went to return them March 20, 2011 only to find out that I couldn't! I never want t shop at a store where I cant return the mechandise and not get my money back! Thats a recipe for disaster. That makes me feel as if your product isnt worthy and your aware it wont hold up! I was the last customer in the store; the only item the sales rep told me I could not return was a pair of ear rings and a shirt that was on sale. She never mentioned to me that I couldnt return. So on the the 20th when I went to return the items the manager goes well even though she admitted she didnt tell you, you couldn't get your money back the company will still argue that its on your reciept! UGH YEAH AFTER YOUR FREAKING PURCHASE THE ITEMS! THIS IS A SCAM!!! I WILL NEVER SHOP AT FOREVER 21 AGAIN! I WILL SPEND MY MONEY ELSEWHERE!

Anonymous Mar 25, 2011

They tell everyone that sale items and jewelry are not returnable, and it says so on your receipt. And on the website. It's not a scam.

john Mar 26, 2011

Why the hell should you care Stealth? You seem to have something to say about everything (wink).
    This is what I have to say though:

john Mar 26, 2011

So crude! (lol) You are disgusting, but I guess if you look the way you sound, it probably does not matter what you say. I do not have to make you miserable, because you already are.
    For the record, I think I told you that sometimes it is me responding on my account, while other times it is my blogger hit team members using my account. However, I have penciled you in (wink). You see, unlike you, I actually have a reason to be here :)
    No matter how much you try, you will never be a man. Just one ugly yard thing :)
    You have had 36 hours of being fat and ugly (lol)
    My name is John Wright AND I AM FIGHTING BACK THE UGLIEST WOMEN ON THE EARTH (LOL).

john Mar 27, 2011

I thought you said you were fat and ugly for 36 hours...and you were going to sleep? Oh, maybe you were just hiding.
    Were you really sued and you never showed up?
    Still a yard thing :)

Dear Yard Thing:
    ewwww...I would never have a crush on yard thing...lol That made me want to vomit. You probably have hair on your chin. That was even worse than when you are crude (lol). Yuk! I have heard what you look like...and I mean yuk!
    I hear that it was not the word "[censor]" that you used that offended people, but something much worse. Not to mention that you said it to an elderly person. If you were talking like this...I assure you that nobody would be "following" you...in your words.
    Live with my mother? No decent women? You like men Stelth? Though I am sure that there are some that you are able to probably have a bigger winnie than, I am not so sure you are qualified to talk about that ...lol You like men?
    Were you really sued, but never showed up for court?
    Your still talking like yard thing. Once a yard thing...always a yard thing.

john Mar 27, 2011

Unfortunately a man does not like you :)

• Wi
    wiseathena Mar 27, 2011

we are not teeny boppers, and i dont think you have ever seen a picture of John as he is very cute. but he wouldn't like you cause your a yard thing ! and way to fowl mouthed... he has class which you dont know the meaning of !!!

john Mar 27, 2011

Stealth, I stopped my protest and addressed the issue on my blog, simply because I thought you were done. However, I assure you that if you that you better get the memo, because I specifically stated that if you did not stop...I would start the protest again.
    Read my daily blog:
    You better stop, before you get involved in something way over your head. I have the information of who you are. I was simply waiting for my legal team to give me permission to post it on my blog. However, I told them that you seemed to be acting like a girl now (yesterday) and seemed to be retreating. So I paused the protest.
    For your own sake, stop your personal insults towards me. Otherwise, overtime I assure that you will regret it. Unlike you, this is not my first rodeo Stealth with these kind of dynamics. I am not your average blogger out here, and I assure that I have the means of fighting back in way that you have never experienced the entire time you have been doing what you have been doing.
    To help you understand what is going on right now, one of the law firms I deal with was in the process of making copies of your nearly 4, 000 or more comments you have made in this forum. I assure you that it is not being done because of my issue with you, but maybe they know who you are and have had a previous issue with you and this forum. I think you know what I mean, but if you do not, I hope you never find out.

john Mar 27, 2011

Is this comment of yours from the same person who was crying last night that everyone was coming after her and making fun of her? You almost sounded like a girl for a minute (lol).
    You are a freak of nature Yard Thing, as well as your own worst enemy.
    Have it your way. I have put the protest page back up:

john Mar 27, 2011

Well, I guess the fact that I am in a lawsuit might suggest that point alone, but I notice you are not quick study :)
    You can call me a child if you want. I assure you that it is not hurting my feelings. However, at least I am not a freak of nature named Yard Thing (lol)

john Mar 27, 2011

Well that is why you should not be a betting man or Yard Thing. This is also why you are not an attorney. So notwithstanding your terrible legal advice, I think I will reserve that right for my "25 attorneys." You see, anything online is fair game, but it only becomes an issue if I begin to make money off of it. Now, I cannot keep having this dialog of giving you free legal advice, but I rather not. Therefore, I must insist you refer to your attorney.
    You insinuate that you are not attorney, but you give legal advice (lol) Trust me, I have come up against many law firms, and if you were correct, I am sure that your unsubstantiated claims would be substantiated. However, it is claims like this that leave you not an attorney, but still only a Yard Thing.
    In case you have not noticed, I only respond to you talking to me. There is your second legal advice (wink). However, why would you keep provoking me, after I announced that I was done with the protest, while I even pulled down the protest page and left? Is it because this started out with you harassing me? There is your third free legal advice.
    Think about it Yard Thing (wink).
    Is there anything about my protest page you do not like?

john Mar 28, 2011

First of all, I am not your honey Yard Thing. I would never lower myself to this.
    Yes I am waiting to get confirmation from the attorney assigned to this too. I am just as excited for that answer as well, but in case you have not noticed...it is the weekend.
    You can call it stalking all you want, but it will never make it true Yard Thing. Not to mention you keep talking to me, while requiring a response (lol). This is hardly viewed as the victim of a stalker. If you do not want to hear what I have to say, stop talking to me. Now I can see why you would not show up for a court date.
    The only one doing any crying here...would be you. I am simply fighting back, because you drew first blood. In fact, we ended the protest and left, but you apparently missed us because you made a comment that sent me an email. If you do not want to hear what I have to say, maybe you should stop talking to me. Other than that, maybe you should follow the advice that you gave all of us, which was if we did not like it, we should go create our own page. We simply did what you told us to do by creating the following page:
    Now you do not like it?
    The message is clear, which is I will stop responding, if you will stop writing a comment directed towards me, which sends me an email. Deal?

Stealth:
    Are you still talking to me? Did you say you gave me permission? I will take note of that. Other than that, it so weird to keep hearing you present yourself as a victim, while you keep pointing out that I am insulting you, when it was you insulting us for nearly 24 hours, before we even started fighting back (lol). When I called off the protest and was nice to you...you insulted me again (lol). I am always responding to you (lol).
    At any rate, who said I do not have their permission (lol). You? Nevertheless, I do not need their permission because it is posted on a site where they were potentially paid to allow people to use it as clip art (lol). Please get over it, because I assure you that they are apparently not as worried about it as you seem to be (lol).

Why are you so worried about those photos on a page you said you do not care about?
    This page:
    Ummmm I think I said you were the one who was a coward who hid behind a computer. However, let the record show that I am the only one here with my name and picture. I think you are the one hiding, since you are in "stealth" mode.
    Why do you keep talking to me, if you are worried that I am stalking you?

Stealth:
    And I notice you do not read! I think I clearly said that I am waiting for permission from the attorney assigned to it, but that it was the weekend (lol) I do not know how to say it any slower for you, but you already know what your relationship is to this complaint board (lol). You are simply not in stealth with me (lol).
    Your statement: "Why don't you just go back to the closet and masturbate?"
    Oh boo hoo...hoo! Your insulting me! (lol)
    Actually, I think you announced you were the one going somewhere (lol). Nevertheless, just like I said, this is how a person talks that does not have anything else intelligent to say. It sounds like you brought a knife to a gun fight, but now you are giving up. This excellent idea, because I am just as bored with your comments as you are with mine.
    Your statement: "so I am not going to respond to your [censor] anymore." Oh, saving face now ehhh? At any rate, I think that would be an excellent idea (wink). I just wish you would have thought of that the several times I suggested it to you before.
    As far as you commenting on the boards on future complaints: Well I do not think that is what sparked this protest, but I do think it was you verbally abusing myself and my supporters in a room that was case sensitive to our cause. Though I do not really give a crap about what you say in other rooms, I would only suggest to walk more carefully in the rooms that myself and supporters are in. This is because I also have every intention of continuing to be who I am too. This means, like I had to before, your rude, crude and simply abusive insults towards me. I will fight back again.

john Mar 28, 2011

Are you talking to me again? I knew that you were not done (lol) No Yard Thing, I have to have permission from the attorney assigned, simply because of the complaint board itself, as well as I am in a lawsuit with BofA. You simply do not serve any legal threat to me whatsoever (lol) Otherwise, I would suggest I would not be here (lol).

I think "you" need drama so you can feel like man (lol), like it says on this page:
    You see, I am only out here because I am fighting a lawsuit, whereas you are out here making over 4, 000 comments (lol), which the majority are so crude that it insinuates that you need drama to feel like a man (lol)...or at least need drama.
    At any rate, if you are serious about not talking to me or about me anymore in an insulting way, I guess I cannot post the stuff already...with or without your permission. You see, this is because it would appear to the court in the BofA case as cruel, as it would be referenced to, if I were to defend myself against someone that is clearly retreating. The simple fact is that I have already told you that me posting BofA peoples stuff and law firm employees names, phone numbers and addresses is a clearly established fact in the press. So I do not need to prove it to you, unless you do not stop. Contrary to your opinion, I do not protest so that I can "prove" things to people, but as a defensive measure against myself, my supporters or cause being abused.
    In closing, I truly do hope this is your last comment towards me Stealth. As previously stated on another thread, we will be removing the protest page at midnight tomorrow, if this fact is verified. We removed it at midnight last night, but you started up again. So it not our intent to protest against you, unless you are abusing us again, while being in a forum that is sensitive to our cause, where our voice needs to be heard. The only reason we entered other forums you were in, simply was part of our protest against your abuse, but it is not our intention to care about what you say or do in another forum that is not case sensitive to our cause. That is unless you are directing comments towards me or about me.
    In closing, if you are serious that you are done, I truly wish you well in all your personal endeavors.

Stealth:
    I wanted to say that I am sorry if I had to protest against you. I also want to say that I am sorry if I had to fight back with words that were hurtful. You are a tough character (compliment) and we had to turn it up against you in the protest because you are so tough (compliment). If you joined the armed forces to protect our country, I am sure you have a good heart. I am not being sarcastic either and I sincerely mean that. I am not always happy that I have to protest, as I assure you that it is draining and I do not always agree with my boards choice. If it means anything to you, I was one of the ones who voted not to open the protest up again. You see, I much rather get along with the person than argue, while we find common ground. This simple fact is that you and I are both allowed to exist, and we are both just going to have to respect that fact.
    Now that it is apparent that this is indeed over, I do want to give you a compliment, because you did put up a great fight. You are a great fighter! I respect anyone who can fight for what they believe in. In fact, you are the type of very tough person that I want to protect our country. This is why I want to also take this opportunity to thank you for your service. This is because regardless of our differences, it is people like you that are the reason that I have this freedom of speech in the first place. A sincere thanks.
    As you know, not all the comments with my name have been from me. However, this one is and I really do want you to know that this protest will end tonight, as well as I have no intentions of bothering whatever you are doing here on the complaint board.

Hi Stealth:

Thank you so much for your very nice comment. It seemed more appropriate for me to respond to it in the BofA thread. You can read it at:

• Iz
    izabelle1913 Jun 22, 2011

I was only 3 days past the 21 date. I lived in WV where a Forever 21 doesn't exist. So i bought a pair of shorts in DC to visit came back to WV-where there wasn't a forever 21 available for me to return the item and moved to DC and tried to return the shorts. No money back, no return, no store credit. I asked them what I was supposed to do and they told me that couldn't do anything that that was policy and there was nothing they could do and I could give the shorts away!! I just want my money back or store credit!!!

• Ka
    kayyyyy Jul 10, 2011

Well though I don't agree with trying to return a shirt that was washed and dried I went to Forever 21 yesterday and bought a skirt and a top. When I got home the skirt was not what I expected, so I went right back to return it. I spent 27.85 in cash and they would only give me store credit! That is unbelievable! I did not want the skirt or the shirt and wish I would have just tried it on. My point of view is that THEY NEED TO MAKE THEIR POLICY CLEAR to people!! CROOKS!

• Sh
    shopdrop Oct 30, 2011

What I don't get is all the customers who come back to me and complain about how there is holes in their shirts... and I wish I could just tell them the truth about how that happens. It's CUSTOMERS who cause 99.999999999% of the damage that I have ever seen in my store. Idiots who hang knit tops over the racks instead of putting them on the hanger and hanging them properly so they don't snag and pull on the hooks of other hangers. I saw this one crazy woman literally shove a hanger into a t-shirt and it poked a hole through the fabric. She then proceeded to throw it on the table and walk away. Stop coming to us and complaining about how your stuff has holes and getting mad at us. Its not like we sit in the back all day purposely putting holes in the merchandise. Actually, if i am ringing stuff through and I notice any damage I always tell the customer and ask if they want to get something else. Our damages alone in one month probably amount to at least a couple thousand dollars in lost sales so we are getting screwed by it too. That's what happens when people don't respect the store. You should check your merchandise before you buy it because it goes through extreme wear and tear just by being on the sales floor...being tried on, thrown around, put on and pulled off hangers hundreds of times... there is a high chance it will be damaged in the process.

• Tt
    TT MAD Dec 18, 2012

Don't return anything by mail you pay the cost this is not fair and I will NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN i sent the item back thinking I would get my credit I had to buy it again the pay shipping this is a rip off . Good companies have a return label if you need it this company is behind nowhere does this .

LOST FOR GOOD

• Fr
    frantastic72 Jan 27, 2013

I’m sure I am not the first person to say that the exchange policy in place in grossly unfair! After realizing I spent more than I should have, I immediately turned around and walked back in the store and waited in line to find out that they do not refund back to credit cards. Of course I asked to speak to a store mngr. I was disgusted to be told but what looked like an 18 year old punk rock looking KID that I could not have my money returned back to card. Disgusting! So the girl who rang me up should have told me that all sales were final because I didn’t want to have store credit! Great! This so called policy is absolutely ridiculous! These so called managers are unprofessional. I guess they only pay minimum wage and hire kids and the store reflects that 100%! Refusing to give customers THEIR money back on unused item with a receipt shows exactly what type of company were dealing with here! I would love to go on and on about the reasons why I will never be shopping at this store again and that I will be sure and tell everyone I know on every outlet I can think of but Im sure they have heard it all before and make enough money robbing people that they really could care less. To make matters worse, no REAL store manager, no customer service but a ridiculous website. Who is in charge? Who is making these ridiculous policies? Who is hiring these kids? Who is watching them running around in the store having social hour, laughing and chatting. The place is a mess, the policies are unethical and I will NEVER be back again.

• We
    wen Apr 11, 2013

Try not to order online from them. If you do and find that you need to make a return, it will take Forever. Wow what a coincidence that Forever is in the name. It takes Forever to get and order accomplished if they decide they need proof that it is you that is actually ordering, if you are sending the items to someone else's address. It takes Forever for them to get your email and respond. I wrote an email and they don't check their emails everyday. It took a week to get a response. I had to call my credit card company to tell them that it might take 2 billing cycle to get a credit for a return in which I sent back 13 days ago, because I was worried that I would incur interest charges. Before I contacted my cc company, I tried to contact the retailer by sending them a message on their website to ask when my specific order would be credited. I got no response because like I said, "It will probably take Forever." I could not wait for that, because my monthly due date is approaching. So the credit card company was kind enough to help me with that when I called and explained this dilemma. I am very happy with my cc company, but unhappy with the ignorance of companies these days that do not have good customer service and a no care attitude.