First Data Merchant Servicesbeware

Merchant company will become uncompetitive with credit card processing rates, can not return equipment (That is proprietary to their system only)

Many other processing company's will give you card equipment free... Don't use anything to do with first data

This group of companies community merchant services & first data processing & lease is a bad, bad deal... Check around, many better processors & rates..

Don't use anything to do with first data.

• Ho
    Honestybestpolicy Jul 26, 2017

I work for an honest company that does CC processing.. Mention first data and you will immediately get a free terminal, free app fee, free programming, free everything. No cost to start at all. I'm sick and tired of hearing about this company.. I drew the line after an old lady is paying 300$ a month for a 150$ terminal totaling over 14, 700$. Made me absolutely sick to my stomach. Enough is enough. Email me at [email protected] and we can discuss getting you set up at no charge and a low cost guarantee rate.

• Ho
    Honestybestpolicy Jul 26, 2017

I work for a CC processing company that is HONEST. I hear about first data ALL day long with folks in a $300 lease when machine cost $150. There is a guy paying over $14, 000 for a $150 machine on a lease. It's disgusting and makes me sick to even here hard working people being taken advantage of.. Not only are they being ripped off from leases they are marking up rates and putting miscellaneous fees with creative accounting.. If you are with first data you are paying over 5% with the fees they are creating out of thin air.. If you mention first data you will automatically get everything free. Terminal, application fee, programming, and shipping all free no questions asked plus a 100$ rebate to use in your second statement. I will send you a new PCI compliant terminal at no charge and give you a low rate guarantee stating you are getting the lowest rate possible. No games. No gimmicks, only honest business practices and honest treatment. Stop being mislead and lied to by crooks and thieves. No matter what they say you can switch processing we will pay the fee and we will send you a new terminal to process your transactions.. It's time to seperate yourself from this [email protected]

Maria Lorna A. Kunnath Jun 17, 2016

I had a similar experience in the past and I wondered why these banks would allow the charges to be made on your account when banks are supposed to protect their accountholders from scams like these. It's hard to know who to trust in the current system.

• Vi
    ViciousVapors Jun 17, 2016

I have been in business for 4 years and had the same processor for my merchant services. I own all my equipment . I recently received a collections notice from First Data Merchant Services, again a company I have never had any dealing with. When I called their service line to get the issue resolved they attempted to get my banking information. They would not verify when the account was set up, or even the name of the business owner they had on file. This is a SCAM. I have never had any other merchant services processor other than the one I opened my business with. DO NOT TRUST!

• Pa
    PatV Sep 16, 2011

I made the mistake in signing up with First Data without researching about them. My account was suppose to be setup with Authorize.NET, it wasn't. I called up asking about it even though my contract clearly shows Authorize.NET as being set, they told me it would be $299. I then challenged my sales rep. about the cost and stated I have never known Auth.Net to cost so much to setup. He then stated how he use to work for Auth.Net and that's always been the charge. After getting off the phone with him, and calling Auth.Net directly they stated there charge for setup is $99, a $200 difference from what First Data was trying to scam out of me. Needless to say, less than two months later and 4 charges (two of which can not be explained) I asked for my account to be closed at First Data. One representative said it would be $437 termination fee plus $30 cancel fee for an account less than 2 months old that was never used for anything.

So, I called my bank explained what was going on, and they advised me of my options. They couldn't put a stop payment/block without knowing the exact charges First Data would try and scam/steal so they suggested closing out the checking account to prevent any lost of funds. I've since been documenting everything. I've faxed in my cancellation request to First Data, and will dispute any and all collection / credit report notices. There is no way I'm paying these scam artist a dime. Just from reading some of these post on the site it just shows that I'm not the only one they've been lying to and scamming.

• Ke
    keithscatch Jun 03, 2011

Well it seems I am another in the long line of small companies getting screwed by First Data. I actually signed up with Merchant Service Center which was fine till they sold it to First Data Merchant Services. Then all of the problems started. They are now holding $6200 of our money because we had to open up a new account because my wife's identity was stolen. So we reopened a new account with Chase and sent in the paperwork. Unbeknownst to us is we must have filled it out wrong or something because FDR never told us this till later. In the meantime they tried to collect the $129 PCI compliance fee from our old account which we had to close and of course no money was there so they turned us over to collections and now we are a high risk account with a 77 day hold on the account. They have the new account info yet refuse to release the batch money we are owed. When we call we get the run around of all run arounds. No one knows anything and of course their department can't handle it and to call customer service. When we call CS they say the same thing and to call risk management who then transfers us to a number where we leave a message and no one calls back. We spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday and got at least 6 different 800#'s to call and at the end of the day nothing happened. I called later and spoke to an Alan at [protected] and he said they received our payment and our money should be in our account today. Guess what, no money? Called them back and they have no knowledge of this and the same department who helped me yesterday suddenly couldn't help me today. I don't know what to do...Never sign up with FDR, First Data Merchant Services. They are rip off's for sure.

• On
    Only Jesus Rules! Apr 14, 2011

Called to cancel my merchant account they said the paperwork would come in a few days, its been weeks now and no paperwork, ill have to pay another month fees now and now i have to call again for the paperwork to cancel its no doubt theres somethiong funny about this company woe...

• Se
    serenity83 Feb 09, 2011

This is a horrible company to use for your business. I can also say this is a horrible company to work for. They are dishonest about pay rates as well as when they let you go they will lie in order not to give you unemployment. I know for a fact that they charge numerous fees for anything and everything. The sales reps mislead business owners into purchasing equipment they do not even need. DO NOT USE OR WORK AT FIRST DATA.

• Do
    Dogo Feb 04, 2011

First Data is has 70% of the worldwide market, they are one of the biggest processing companies in the world. Many large corporations used them. If you are thinking of getting rich off this company forget it...There are other less time consuming ways to resolve your problems. I am a merchant rep, who acquired a new merchant who was with a competing provider Elevon who withheld over $60, 000 of this merchant sales, and wanted $300, 000 colateral. I resolved the problem with this merchant, and got the the account, now he is happily processing with First Data as a processesor. THe problem is not the company, it is the agent who signed you up, that was not honest and upfront with you, and put you in that predicament. Merchant providers/processors do take a risk with new and existing merchant everyday because of fraud and chargebacks, and they are then left holding the bag. You are only looking at your point of view not theres. There always a cost to do business. Griping and complaining and wanting a handout is not the way to go at the expense of others. Lawyers are just waiting for people like you, to line there pockets. What you need to do is start a class action suit against lawyers. They are not your bread and butter, they are rich snakes and parasites.

• Th
    The Boutique Oct 18, 2010

Please forward all contact info for First Data and Express MPS processing to me ASAP. I too have been having issues with them since 2008, I finally closed my account with the bank so that they could not get to my money each month. I need fax number(s) and any info on lawsuits pending. I would appreciate any help I can get :)

• Be
    BEENHAD2010 Aug 30, 2010

FOLKS LOOK OUT FOR GOOD, THIS COMPANY STOLD 180, 000 FROM ME...DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, THEY ARE DEFINITELY A FRAUD, THEY USE A FALSE CONTRACT TO GET YOU INTO VISA/MC/DISC AND THEN FREEZE YOUR ACCOUNT WHEN YOU "OVER PROCESS" DONT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE GUYS OR HIGH RISK PAY WHICH IS ANOTHER ALIAS THEY USE HIGH RISK PAY IS ALSO A SCAM FOR SURE!!! DONT USE THEM!!!

• Rn
    rnknight Aug 18, 2010

Rip Off Rip Off Rip Off. They continue to withhold (steal) money from your deposits saying that "collections" has a hold on your account, as listed on their computer system. When you call in to query and find out how that can be, the service team always says they don't know, and you have to call Collections. You call a referred number in Houston, you get an automated pre-recorded message with no one to speak to, and as you leave a message on the system that doesn't even prompt for questions on with holdings or questions on retained statement amounts - they never return the call. Once, we actually got through to someone in the regular merchant account relations department, they got on the line with someone, resolved the matter and the balances were reconciled and presumed caught up... Again, not even two months later, the firm witheld money because there were amounts held with a note from Collections, but then - we'd had no sales by credit card in the receiving report months to have back owed!
    GET AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE, and let them die off, if no one can hang them. They are bandits - serious bandits.

James20 Jul 16, 2010

I signed an agreement with Brimich Solutions and First Data Global Leasing for those companies to provide me with a wireless terminal to process credit card and debit card transactions for my winter seasonal business. At that time Brimich/First Data agreed to begin charging me for my machine/ card processing at the start of the following winter season- in November of 2009. Instead they began debiting my account every month (beginning in April 2009) and acknowledged in phone conversations that they had made a mistake and would put the money back in each time it came out. This they did not do. After repeated, failed attempts to get them to address this issue, I was forced to block payment to Brimich and First Data in November of 2009 to prevent Brimich/ First Data from removing any further moneys.
    When I signed the agreement in March of 2009 I was in the process of attempting to sell my business, and I informed them of this possibility and was told that selling my business would not be a problem. The business in fact did sell in the fall of 2009, and I informed these companies of this in writing.
    In March of 2010 my bank account was debited twice by First Data, and they have since continued to demand money for a service I have never needed, used and have in fact cancelled. They now tell me that they will not cancel my lease, and that I have to pay it out.

Brimich and First Data have taken $767.77 for services that have never been provided. And they are attempting to take a further $2, 263.33, for services that have never been provided. Not 1 credit card or debit card has ever been processed. I have not seen anything from their end of this agreement except to take my money. Total scammers and out and out liars.

• Ra
    rainner Jul 13, 2010

I have had funds tied up after capture for over 2 weeks. The clients are pissed as they expect product they paid for BUT first data does not transfer funds promptly. I have had one voice call with them and they said it was a security issue and suppose to be fixed but the problems still exist.

They will not answer nor return our phone calls any more AFTER we sent out our product the client paid for but we never received our money from first data. Remember, MERCHANT WARHOUSE advertisesefor them and gets a cut! There jsut as bad.

DONT DO BUSINESS with FIRST DATA or MERCHANT WAREHOUSE

Maria Lorna A. Kunnath Jun 11, 2010

I just got a call from a Transworld Systems trying to collect $146.00 from me for FIRST DATA MERCHANT SYSTEMS which I had canceled last year and owed them nothing since I had not launched any type of sale giving them NO REASON for any type of charge. First Data Merchant Services should be investigated if they are doing the same to millions of their customers...imagine how much money they'll rake in if they collect (for no reason) $146.00 from each?

• Pe
    pennjot1 May 26, 2010

Educate yourself and you won't have anyone get anything over on you concerning credit card processing.
    If you don't understand what's in front of you, don't sign it and get someone who does understand it to interpret it for you.
    Take some responsibility and take ownership of your issues.

• Pe
    pennjot1 May 26, 2010

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT FIRST DATA MERCHANT SERVICES DOES NOT LEASE TERMINALS. TERMINAL LEASES ARE ISSUED FROM FIRST DATA GLOBAL LEASING, A FINANCE COMPANY, THAT IS ALL THAT THEY DO.
    FIRST DATA MERCHANT SERVICES HAS A 'SERVICE' AGREEMENT WITH YOU FOR PROCESSING.
    Credit card processing is regulated by the Associations, that would be Visa and MasterCard. Any processor, regardless of who they are, is contracted with the Associations, as are the merchant's to process the way the THEY govern.
    If you have issues with excessive chargebacks, reserve of funds, or high risk activity, these are all regulated by the Assocaiations. Cardholders have up to 18 moths to dispute transactions that they run through your business'. If you close the account, or have a great deal of chargebacks, the processor has to make certain that there is money in reserve to cover any potential chargebacks that may occour on your account.
    LOOK IT UP ON VISA OR MASTERCARD.COM.

• Ha
    HADI-ACHAMAK May 03, 2010

THIS COMPANY IS GANG OF THUG.
    THEY SIGNED THE CONTACT WITH THE ASSURANCE THAT FEE WILL NOT BE INCREASED FOR 3 YEARS. THEY INCREASED THE FEE AT LEAST 25 TO 30%
    DESPITE REPEATED EMAIL AND FAXES. THEY ALMOST NEVER REPLY EMAIL AND FAXES. FIRST DATA IS FAMOUS FOR KICKING THE CAN. ONE TO OTHER AND THEN 3RD 4TH TILL YOU TIRED AND GIVE UP/
    THEY SWINDLED ME FOR $ 4000 FOR CASH BACK. BATTER BUSINESS BEARAUGH CONTACTED PRESIDENT OF THE CO. NO REPLY NO SOLUTION.
    THEY COLLECTED ALMOST $ 2000 . DESPITE REPEATED EMAIL AND FAXES, NO REPLY. I LEFT TTHE MASSAGE 3 TIMES. NO REPLY.

EVERY MONTHS, THEY TAKE ABOUT $ 100 FOR SO CALLED CHARGE BACK
    THEY DO NOT HAVE NAME OF PERSON OR ANY INFORMATIONS. DESPITE PROVIDING PROOF, CHARGE BACK IS NEVER REVERSED.

I THINK IT IS HIGH TIME, CLIENTS FILE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST THIS GANG OF THUGS.
    HADI CHAMADIA
    [protected]

Dee294 Mar 29, 2010

My company used Cardservice International for many years, then they changed to First Data and everything started to go south. We had a high risk account, but always kept our chargebacks to a minimum over the years and had a track record to prove it. Literally, out of the blue, we were overwhelmed by chargebacks, and were able to provide First Data the proper signed slips and everything they needed to ensure the sales were legitimate. We still lost the sales.

To add insult to injury, shortly after, they canceled our account, due to excessive cahrgebacks, and said they would hold $32, 439.00 (yes... 32k) for six months to cover any chargebacks involved. After sex months I contacted the First Data representative. He said it would be another six months. Then I was pawned off to another agent who said they would release half of the funds, then another half later. I provided copies of my ID and contact information, per their request. She said they would send a check to me for half of the funds. It never came, she never replied, they no longer return my calls or emails.

You can imagine the damage done to your business with someone holds $32, 439.00 without notice. It literally ruined and bankrupted the business.

It has been 2 years since they agreed to pay the money, they will not return any contact to me. My next step is legal recourse, though that too is painful as some collection agencies are asking for as much as %40 - 50%. I have lost my business, and money. I'm at a loss.

If anyone knows an attorney or company who has successfully had many returned for a fair price, please contact me: [email protected]

• 4h
    4hats Mar 24, 2010

WARNING - THESE ARE THE SHIFTIEST OF BANKING PRACTICES -I am another person who has fallen victim to these shifty tactics used by First Data who I didn't even know I was dealing with until yesterday. I have a very small consulting business amounting in sales of about 60K a year. I signed up with Wells Fargo Merchant Services so that my clients could have the option of paying me by credit card if they needed to. I have a spotless record with Wells Fargo and a great credit score. I ran a credit card payment from a client for $6, 000 which they froze and held because they said I was high risk. Then they told me that they wouldn't release it unless I built a reserve of $20 thousand dollars (in a NON interest account) to protect their risk. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This is 1/3 of my annual income!! The most I've ever processed through cards is 12K and they need to reserve $20, ooo dollars to protect their risk? They said they will release 50% of the money if I agree to give them 50% of all my credit card earnings until I meet their 20K reserve. Only a really slimy company would go after 1/3 of the annual earnings of a small business owner. I am disgusted by Wells Fargo and First Data and am closing my account tomorrow.

• Bu
    burt054 Mar 09, 2010

I was sent a bill for taxes for my machine. I live in Georgia and my question is can they bill me for Florida taxes while the machine is in Georgia. I called them and asked they provide me their bill requesting taxes on my particular machine, and they told me they would not do that. So, is my tax money going toward my machine, or filling the pockets of First Data.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH FIRST DATA / CALL YOUR BANK AND / OR FORWARD THIS LINK TO THEM.

• Bu
    burt054 Mar 07, 2010

I had a business that closed and asked FIRST DATA if I they would buy out my lease and send their card machine back to be used by someone else. They said I could pay the total lease off and send the machine back to them, what an offer!!! I was able to buy the lease out on Cox cable, the phone company and even our lease with the building, but not FIRST DATA. They also send me a bill every year for taxes they say they have to pay on the machine, but they never show me a bill that they pay. How can they pay out of state taxes on something that is being used in Georgia?
    I agtree with the others, use another company, these people are cash mongers. I see they are charging some others $20 a month but my charges ar $42.79 per month. I plan to print off all these complaints and take them to my personal bank who referred FIRST DATA to me. They will lose FIRST DATA or they will lose my business!!! Awful company!!!

• Be
    Beginner Programmer Mar 02, 2010

We've worked with YourPay and their new owner, First Data, for 5 years. In that time they have been responsive and helpful. They still haven't updated one of their phone numbers on one of their websites, but we've been impressed by their compatibility, support, range of transactions, and most recently their willingness to re-releasing the classic API to allow us to write own e-commerce software. We set up our accounts through our local bank and pay incredibly low processing fees and literally less than $2 per month in subscription/equipment fees.

• If your business has been adversely affected by the Risk Dept. Of First Data please
    send your contact information and story to: [email protected]

We are currently in the process of initiating a Class Action Lawsuit against
    First Data for unfair trade practices, artifices and fraud...

I am a merchant that had over 9K held in reserve from First Data...

it is now six months later and I am still fighting to get over $6000 back
    plus interest that they held in July 2009...

They railroaded my LLC corporation by accusing me of being a great
    "risk" when I had my account for over 3 years with only a few
    chargebacks, all of which were decided in my favor...

I want to assist with documentation, building websites, blogs
    and more to find others that have been disenfranchised by this
    organization which should be investigated by the Dept. Of Justice,
    The FTC and the FBI...

Their "risk dept" is a sham that uses their ability to debit your
    account at will to raise revenues for the company..

I think their personnel there actually are paid to raise capital by
    holding funds and freezing accounts...

After 6 months I never had ONE additional chargeback...

Yet they still have my money... This affected my business
    during a marked economic downturn in the middle of summer 2009...

I have the ability to do SEO on the internet and get websites ranked...

I want to find others and get a class action lawsuit going...

I also want to sue them for interest and treble damages...

send your contact information and story to: [email protected]

We are currently putting together a Class Action Lawsuit and you are entitled
    to remedy damages and relief under the law...

We will also be investigating the exhorbitant fees First data charges their merchants
    that are not in accordance with fair trade practices and the uniform commercial code.

• Cd
    cdalawyer Nov 30, 2009

I'm a class action attorney in the process of assessing possible class action lawsuits against First Data. Our fim has already successfully prosecuted claims against other credit card processors for unfair trade practices. Please contact me with more information about your complaints. [email protected].com

• Fd
    FDsux Nov 16, 2009

First Data has Surprised me with the announcement that I had a three agreement with them? Wow I Never was told that by their sales rep and they were quite persistant once you contact them for information. This is a blatant case of DECEPTIVE PRACTICES, I warn anyone...not do business with this company. They are all sweet and nice, and then spring this kind of announcement, makes you wonder why there hasn't been more legal actions. I am filing a complaint with the BBB as well as the States Attorney Office. Companies like this should be banned from the market place. Dishonest to the core...

• Al
    Al Solanki Oct 14, 2009

2 years ago my father owned a small motel, at that time my father was using Heartland payment systems. Not sure how long my father had an account with First Data services. My father passed away in Dec '06. We sold the business and cancelled all open accounts even heartland payment systems.

I kept receiving statements from First Data service, the statement doesn't list any phone numbers or any contact info for the company in case of a dispute. I didn't know who this was since I wasn't aware of us doing business with Chase merchant services. I don't even think my father was aware of this company taking 25.00 and 6.95 every month.

When I figured out who these charges were coming from, my bank finally traced down the number for this company. When I called customer service, they asked my for my merchant ID, I gave them the number next to my corporation name, they said that wasn't my merchant id. So I asked them to look up through the business name and they figured out who I was, So once I knew this was the company, I asked to be refunded 2.5 years worth of charges, they said they can't go that far back to refund me. So customer service transfered me to customer relations department. There I spoke with a woman by the "Patty", she asked me what was my merchant id. I told her I"m not sure, but there is a 7 digit number next to my corporation name and she said thats it.. what I can't understand is why did customer service say that wasn't my merchant number and customer relations said it was????? I told them know wonder why I couldn't close the account 2 years ago, because of this same situation.. So now I am filing a law suit against First Data service. if you would like to join me, Please contact me at [email protected] or call me at [protected].

I think if we can muster up enough support for a law suit we can put them out of business once and forall.

• St
    stran03 Oct 14, 2009

Wish I had known about them before. Now I'm stuck with the $500.00 early cancellation fee like many of you when I called to cancel my account because I sold my business. When the rep sold me the product, she told me that I can cancel my account anytime with no fee. But now that I'm trying to cancel, they said I have to pay for it and that I signed the contract. I guess I was naive to belief what they me and not read the contract. However, I can't even remember if I signed a contract with them or not. Although they told me I signed it after the fact. The way they operate their business is so unethical...telling you one thing and doing another thing. Have anybody filled a complaint against them with BBB and/or the state attorney general? For those the cancellation fee, did you all pay them the $500.00 or what did you do? Please advise.

• Ro
    ron83 Oct 09, 2009

I have been with them for over 10 years and all of this started in the last year or so since they were sold to a private company. Yes, they will take money any time they feel like it out of your account without notice. If you try to do a stop payment on them they will just send it again with added fees with a different name so you have to keep spending more money on stop payments for different names. Then when you call them they will tell you they need written notice to close the account and tell you to fax it to some non existent fax number and keep taking money out until you have to close the account and start a new one. DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Noorclothing Sep 28, 2009

I wish i saw this earlier. I got stuck just recently with these ###'s. my problem was that they promised a working network connection. It worked at first but my router got messed up so i had to replace the whole network. after they tell me i have to open such and such port and that my ISP can only help me with that. I spoke with them. and the new router requires more information that just simply opening a port. something first data couldn't provide. i spent 7 hours trying to get this thing working. back and forth between my ISP and them. I asked for the device specifications, requirements and they wouldn't give them to me. i ended up figuring the thing out and it turned out that it was a cable issue. something none of the 5 different idiots i spoke with mentioned to me. That their device only accepts Catergory 6 Ethernet cables and not Category 5. ((first time i've ever seen that in any kind of ethernet based equipment)) completly wasted my time and i was starting to get major attitudes from the last person i spoke with cuz they leave notes on your account every time you call in.

complete waste of time. with these robotic individuals. cant even get a single educated person with a creative mind to work for them. and it's a money handling business as well.

• Bj
    bjroggen Sep 01, 2009

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH FIRST DATA MERCHANT – YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU DO.

I'm in the same boat as many others with First Data Merchant. The rep told me I was signing a 24 month lease. I never saw any paperwork, only signed in an electronic box which was attached to her computer. She told me the paperwork would come in the mail. When it did, the contract was written for 48 months!!! Something I would have NEVER agreed to. When I questioned the rep about it, she simply stated my monthly payments would be lower and the contact was already signed and processed. It was no big deal to her. Now the economy has put me out of business and I am just learning about the$500 early termination fee (which was not disclosed during their sale pitch when they sold me their product). That is a huge amount of money for a small businss like mine was. After reading all the comments on this page, I have decided to close my bank accounts before I contact them to cancel my lease. I'm sure they will go after the $500 early termination fee within in minutes of my informing them I closed my business and need to cancel my lease. I also plan on contacting the my state’s Attorney’s General Office to find out the proper and lawful procedures companies are suppose to follow when letting a client out of a lease early. I will pay them what and when I can, but basically you can't get blood from a turnip. I hope someone reads this before agreeing to do business with First Data Merchant and goes elsewhere.

• Cd
    CDSPP Jul 15, 2009

First Data is unethical. They will charge your monthly fees from your bank account before a statement is sent out. I had signed a contract. I canceled my account with them because of rate increases etc. pulling monies out of my checking account with out a statement etc. I had 6 months to go on the contract. In fact the contract says nothing about 3 years-it's in a "Program Guide" which was sent out to me after the fact. I did not know about the $500.00 cancellation fee!!! I am a very, very small business and $500.00 is a lot of money to me. They deducted the money out of my checking account without any written notice. I called the bank and there is not a thing they can do. By the way Amcore Banks refer their customers to First Data Merchant Services.

• Ne
    never again Jun 06, 2009

First Data (Linkpoint aka Cardservices International) is the BIGGEST fraud merchant service out there and I WARN anyone to ever sign up or deal with them. When I signed up with them, they promised to have the best and most competitive rates on the market. I had incredibly stressful working days, sometimes with 18 hour work days, so I was unable to have time to really check how true or false these statements were. I had incessant problems with First Data over the years I used their services, reversing charges (not my clients, but First Data would do this) and blocking access to money which had to be verified by them. Even after verification with customer signatures and approvals this process would take nearly TWO MONTHS before First Data would release the money paid to my company - which meant I had no access to funds to pay for company expenses for two months!!! At one point First Data was holding over $28, 000 in transactions without releasing these for 6 weeks while I had expenses to pay for, towards goods and services for the payments customers had made!!
    I have recently found that the average $175 per ticket in fees First Data has charged from me over the years - with a string of excuses each time I inquiries into it - has actually been $150 IN EXCESS charges per my transaction ticket than what is normal! The company has charged me over $25, 000 in fees in a year, while the normal amount should have been around $4500 in the entire year. I only found this when being unable to close an account with them, and picking a random merchant service to deal with my transactions meanwhile, temporarily.
    I tried to cancel the merchant accounts with First Data, and found it to be a complete nightmare. NO ONE will respond to your letters, faxes or emails. On the contrary, they neglected to cancel the account for MONTHS of my incessantly trying to close the merchant account with them while they continue to charge their base fees of $80-110 per month. Another thing that was amazing with the fraudulent merchant service is the number of times they would change their phone numbers! I don't know how many times over the year I had to write a new number into my phone directory for this bank. That alone speaks volumes.

First Data is PURE banking FRAUD!!!

• Ri
    Ripped off by this company Jun 04, 2009

Totally a rip off company. Put my batches in an RPP hold account, for no reason what so ever.. I had to have my attorney fax paper work from my bank showing payments to Community Merchant Services and they still will not release my batches owed to me.
    Community Merchant Services is a poor run company. They even had an employee that changed my Amex merchant number so my batches were going to some man instead of in my own bank account.
    I have called this company for 4 months now, almost daily to try to figure out who else to talk to (who speaks english) that will explain why month after month all the high fee's are continued to be taken from my bank account- and NONE OF MY BATCHES put in to my bank account-- RUN FROM COMMUNITY MERCHANT SERVICES.. this company will take all your hard earned money from your online business.. If you do not believe me.. go to Google.com and type in the words Community Merchant Services Complaints.. !

• Vi
    VictimofFraud May 10, 2009

Check your credit report... First Data destroyed my credit!!! They might of done it to you too...
    Make sure you pull your credit report... If your situation is anything like what I experienced with First Data, then you should check your credit report. My story can be found on NewLawsNow.com ... Good luck...

• I sold my business a year ago. At that time I filled out appropriate required paperwork to close the account with First Merchant Services. I have spent time on the phone talking to these people and thought problems were resolved. Today I received a letter from a collections agency trying to collect $100.19. So, I am adding my comments/complaints re: First Data Merchant Services..

• Br
    Brian Feb 18, 2009

Yes First data is total rip off. They claim that "processing" will cost you only 1.8% but when you add all charges it is 4%.
    Horrible! They will lie and lie and mislead you like you won't believe. Fake charges, increasing fees, they ruined my business taking over 4% of my sales. Than took $500 from my account when I canceled their horrible service. Stay away and save yourself a big headache.

debbie Nov 21, 2008

I have only been with them for a little over a month and I'm already sick of them. They keep asking me to insure the machine (through them) even though I'm already covered under my insurance policy. I'm sick to death from getting their spam mail and spam calls (robo-calls) claiming they need to speak to us urgently, only trying to sell us more CRAP. I have asked numerous people at various 800#s to remove us from their lists and they claim they don't sell our information. I've had the insurance calls and calls from people wanting to sell us website service, etc. When I called around to "un-do" the insurance they claimed it was not them and they had no idea what I was talking about. They all claim it is a "different" First Data. There are about a million of them that all do what they want to get your money. STAY CLEAR OF FIRST DATA.

• Pa
    Patrick Nov 05, 2008

These guys will fee you to death, for stuff you don't even use. Look elsewhere. Their business practices border on the criminal.

Dennis Oct 11, 2008

We have used this company for over a year and have been becoming increasingly dissastified. They are getting really creative with their various charges. I received a letter stating now I have to get certified by a third part or be charged an additional fee per month. I have had no problems with customers or chargebacks. This certification has to be renewed yearly. I am a owner/operator of a small welding & machine shop. We do not have a large volume of credit card sales. I recommend doing your research before selecting a company to deal with. I WOULD NOT recommend First Data