Having problems with Ethan Allen?

PO Box 1776, Ethan Allen Drive
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Poor Workmanship/Poor Customer Service

Purchased a leather couch and loveseat from Ethan Allen in 2007. After the first year the frame of the couch...

Kept me waiting 4 months for a bench

ETHAN ALLEN! DON'T BUY THERE! Ordered two chairs, end table, and bench, custom covered, in November 2008. Told 6 weeks turn around maybe 8. Chairs and end table came in, no bench. Told 1week, it was in California; next week it was on East Coast, next week Minneapolis, MN--a travelling bench--after 4 MONTHS still no bench. Finally arrived, told them to keep it. Store will NOT refund deposit, won't do a thing Oh, to boot they had a very condescending attitude. The hard times must not affect Ethan Allen because they sure don't mind driving away customers.

• Et
    ethanallenstinks Apr 06, 2009

Your absolutely correct! They don't know how to conduct business at all! If the estimated time of delivery on your sales receipt has passed and you still don't have your bench you have the right to request your deposit back. Read the back of the sales receipt.

[Resolved] table top

In July 2008, I purchased a dining table to be used in my newly remodeled kitchen. Furniture took 3 months to be delivered. (toast/cotton) were the color stains of the wood. In addition, 4 cushioned dining chairs were coordinated. After one week of using the table with a cloth and mats, the matte table top finish began to wear down and form shiney spots which looked like grease spots from afar. It gave the appearance of a dirty, greasy table. A repairman came out to "take pictures". Ethan Allen responded by saying that this is normal wear and tear. Hah!!. One week later and this is NORMAL. They refuse to do anything else, however, they do recommend that I have a Guardsman re-finish, at my own expense. I will NEVER purchase from them again. In today's economy, I don't think they will be getting too many customers to spend their prices for such crummy quality. Also, my furniture chairs were made in China and the seats have no bottom supports. I'm waiting for the day when the cushions will just fall to the floor. Crummy customer relations at a very HIGH price. Stay awayfrom them!!

• Ethan Allen's response · Jan 06, 2009

At Ethan Allen we are committed to providing our clients with superior service and a total design experience. We would like to take this opportunity to offer our assistance. Please contact us at 203.743.8663 via telephone or email Paula Mandeville, our Director of Retail Services at [email protected]

• Wa
    Walsdorf Jul 21, 2009

I purchased a pedestal dining room table and an end table from Ethan Allen about three years ago. The dining table has completely lost all of its varnish and looks worn, and the end table's stain is starting to chip away. Ethan Allen has refused to fix the merchandise and is claiming that it is normal wear and tear. I am appalled by their lack of loyalty to their customers. I will never set foot in another Ethan Allen store again. I would certainly recommend shopping elsewhere for anything you need for your house since their quality has not withstood even three years of normal use!

kaninchenamy Nov 26, 2009

Well, this is resourceful. What a pity, I was so going to purchase the exact pedestal table in toast/cotton this weekend. I'm so bummed to read that they didn't stand by what seemed like a very good warranty. We have our bedroom sets in Ethan Allen... a few coffee tables and a console. No problems there, but this is very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post this, I wouldn't be thrilled to learn this bit of tidbit on my own accord. Know it helped make up my mind.

• Br
    Brian Dubé Jan 17, 2010

Mary,
    I have asked several stores why the seat support in my dining chairs are cutout. I have discussed this in person also. No one has any idea at all. I asked a tech guy in their manufacturing facility and he had no idea either - he suggested it might be to reduce shipping costs from China. I was shocked. Checking the underside of the chairs confirmed that they were made in China. I am very disappointed to see this given that Ethan Allen promotes its products as made in USA.
    I also have a problem with surface finish on a table and a drawer in a map table. I have given up on customer service. I am a manufacturer myself and realize in a situation like this, there is no way they can make it right - the craftsmanship and integrity is not there in the first place.
    I will do the best to service this myself - refinish the table top and repair the drawer. Live with the chairs. If I am ambitious, perhaps even try to replace the chair seat support.
    Brian

[Resolved] Terrible company

Thanks to the arrogant and discriminatory attitude of their sales person at Ethan Allen, NAtick MA, that their business is now going to the other three furniture stores in the area. The big white guy - not sure what is name is, does not enjoy working there. I am sure any one who has had the experience like mine will never step into that store again. I was a loyal customer of theirs for the last 5 years. But after this experience, no more Ethan Allen for me.

The woman at the front desk silently witness the discriminatory attitude of this big guy.

• Ethan Allen's response · Oct 03, 2008

We are concerned to learn of your unpleasant experience at our Natick design center, and we sincerely apologize for any discomfort you may have felt during your visit. Ethan Allen strives to make each customer experience a positive one.
    Please know that this behavior is not condoned by Ethan Allen Global, Inc or its subsidiaries. Would you mind contacting me directly so that I can obtain additional information that weill allow us to have this matter looked into immediately?

Thank you.
    Paula Mandeville
    Director, Client Services
    203.743.8257
    [email protected]

Ann Nov 07, 2008

It is obvious to me as it should be to others that the comment made "Big white guy" says it all! The person who wrote this is obviously prejudice!

kaninchenamy Nov 26, 2009

yes, that struck me as rather odd. Somewhat of a pot calling the kettle a "Big White Guy".

[Resolved] Window Treatment Nightmare

I ordered window treatments end of May/start of June 2008. A week after I placed the order, the sales rep...

2 comments Woodmere Other

Bad customer service

We walked into Ethan Allen looking to purchase some furniture, we were interested in an Entertainment Center...

Poor Quality / Poor Customer Service

I purchased a $900 Ethan Allen New Impressions Dining Table in November 2007, thinking that this table would be of tremendous quality that would last a lifetime.
Within two months the finished surface of the table began to blister and crack, revealing unfinished wood beneath. When I called Ethan Allen they told me to use a pen to color the unstained wood. I did that and it looked terrible.
I called Ethan Allen Service Center here in Atlanta since the Ethan Allen Store where I bought the table shut down. They sent out a technician to look at the table. It was obvious as this man came through my front door, not even saying "hello", that he had no intention of backing any warranty. Four days later I got a call saying that the technician and the customer service manager "reviewed the pictures" and determined that "it was not under warantee." Surprise! Surprise! They told me that I put something hot on the table (I did not). They refuse to take responsibility for shoddy workmanship. They must have rampant complaints and in order to actually stay in business, must ignore them.

Ethan Allen is NOT "Your Mom's Ethan Allen"

• El
    elizabeth Aug 13, 2008

I was laid off from thid company 06/18/2008 so now I have no secrets. Write to Farooq Kathwari directly and they will probably take care of you

• Db
    Dbdk Feb 07, 2016

How do I get to Farooq Kathwari?

Mislead and lied to me

I was hired and worked for this despicable place. And learned that people can be so gullible. I was hired as a receptionist at the store in Cincinnati, Ohio at the tri-county store to be exact. The so called designers and store personnel I wouldn’t send to Iraq. They are truly hideous to even work or look at. They treated me like an idiot. They lied to each other and their clients. I felt so bad for them. They fired me for trying to tell the truth about them... Oh well, I know this company has got to be going downhill.

[Resolved] Poor quality and bad customer service

I purchased an ottoman that has popped buttons for 3 times. The second time I called after 6 weeks to find the piece just laying there with not intention to fix it. I paid over $800 for this piece. It has broken again. I called the store several times and no one even answers the phone! I also complained the fabric has not lasted, it is deteriorating and has not kept its crisp finish. I would stay away from this company. I will purchase it from a company I trust...Virginia Wayside Furniture in Richmond, Va.

• Ethan Allen's response · Aug 04, 2008

Dear client:
    I am sorry to hear of this situation, and I would like to have the opportunity to review and address your concerns. Please contact me via email [email protected] or via telephone 203.743.8257. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
    Paula Mandeville
    Director, Retail Services
    Ethan Allen Global, Inc.

charles williams Aug 04, 2008

I have tried to find out what charger are for on my credit card. The number ONEBILLS.COM provided to contact the is useless. They ask for your phone # and then say that rhey cant find anything. Ask for credit card info, when entered the recording ask you to leave a msg and they will call back, then recording says sorry mail box is full, thank you and hangs up. How do you contact them for info?

charles williams Aug 04, 2008

onebills .com seems to put up a wall f you have questions aout your credit card charge all the info they ask for when given seems to be unreconsible to them, including their message service, this matter may need to be reported to attorney generals office.

• Re
    Reviewer77364 Oct 13, 2015

OMG! The sofa has a horrible smell. Probably chemicals in the fabric and I am really worried about my son who has to sleep in the living room next to it! I shall NEVER again purchase from ethan allen.

Kalebo Jan 05, 2019

I do not have any complaint, but only praise. I ordered a "Georgetown" bedroom set from Ethan Allen this past July 2018. It took Ethan Allen exactly four months to deliver the set to me. The furniture is expensive, but the quality is excellent. I can understand why it took so long to receive the set. I am 100% satisfied with the service.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices