Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Car Rentals Enterprise Rent-A-Car toll violation and $15 admin fee b/c no one returns phone call

Enterprise Rent-A-Car review: toll violation and $15 admin fee b/c no one returns phone call

Author of the complaint
12:37 am EST
Replied
The company left an official comment on this complaint.
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Seems like this is a common complaint and I'm hoping this grabs the attention of an Enterprise representative like some other posts I've seen. Long story short, I was conducting business out of state and I wasn't used to paying tolls and happened to pass (2) $.40 tolls. So, after spending countless time finding out where and how to pay these IL state tolls, I went on the Illinois Toll way website THE DAY OF THE INCIDENT and paid the whopping $.80. I have confirmation emails from the Illinois Toll way and everything. This was back in September by the way. Fast forward to beginning of January...I get this Enterprise letter stating THEY paid the tolls and THEY are going to charge me $15 as an admin fee if I don't reach them within 15 days. Here's the problem...NO ONE ANSWERS THE PHONE. The only contact info on this letter is a number that goes straight into a voicemail of some sort. Extremely disappointed with this service and I've been using Enterprise for years. I'm a very busy traveling professional and tracking down someone is the very last thing I want to do. Unless someone resolves this issue I will never be using them again and I will pass this experience along to others I come in contact with…

More Enterprise Rent-A-Car complaints & reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car - deposit refund
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car - misleading, smoking policy, pick up,& drop off time
Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Billing for damage that is not responsibility
Enterprise Rent-A-Car - rental/discrimination
Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Outrageous billing, false damage claims
111 comments
Feb 09, 2019 2:41 pm EST

I received an email from Enterprise stating "In accordance with the terms of your rental agreement, you are responsible for all citations and toll charges incurred during your rental period. Herewith, we are letting you know that we will be processing the payment for the citations or toll charges (plus applicable taxes, fees and or surcharges) to your credit card within seven days of this email." The citation was legit and did receive a $14 admin fee from Enterprise. The problem is Enterprise never paid the toll contradictory to what their email stated. The toll fee was $0.90. The fee is now in collections and is now $80.90. I've called and emailed Enterprise all my supporting documentation and all I received was "Sorry is this letter confused you..." The email clearly states they (Enterprise) would charge my credit card for the toll charge and fees which I was OK with. I am not OK that they did not do what they said they would do and now my credit may be affected. Also, why charge a $14 admin fee if nothing was processed? Isn't the $14 fee for processing and paying admin overheard?

G
Sep 20, 2018 10:23 am EDT

I call BS. Every single toll has a sign that says “if you missed your toll call or visit 123XYZ. Plus merely google searching “pay my unpaid toll il” get you the direct link. I’ve lived here 15 years. I can go take a pic if you need.

Sep 11, 2018 10:07 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I'm in the same boat as many.
I went thru a .75c toll which was automated and recieved a $15.00 charge along with the toll. As a company owner I have used Enterprise quite a lot and if this issue isn't properly rectified I'm done and I will also be telling everyone I know to never do business with them.

Jul 26, 2018 1:26 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I too am disappointed with Enterprise and hope they change their practices. I had received a parking violation (my own fault) and paid the ticket myself within the week of getting it. It is now about 1 month later and I received a letter stating I will be charge a $14.00 fee. I called the number on the letter and was told it was an administrative fee. How ridiculous. The fine was paid, we should not be charged extra for resolving the issue ourselves. On top of that, at the time of my rental, the Enterprise location I had rented from had failed to put the newest license plate registration sticker on the plate of the car I was driving. I was therefore driving around with expired plates. I only realized this when I received a separate ticket for this violation. I called the office and they stated they had the sticker there and asked if I could bring the car back so they could put it on the license plate. This was not a huge deal, but did take me out of my way for the day. It's frustrating that there error cost me my time and when I resolve my own error, it costs me an additional $14.00.

May 08, 2018 8:54 pm EDT

Hertz is easier to deal with than Enterprise for the insanity of EZ Pass mistakes, overages.
My suggestion is do not rent from Enterprise if you have to use EZ Pass tolls. They will tell you "call the EZ pass company", and EZ pass will say "Call the rental car company". Meanwhile, you are helpless to $15 dollar fines and erroneous toll charges up to 8 months after you rent a car. If you paid cash, got the green light - tough luck.

When you rent with Hertz, they ask for your EZ pass statement and see that sometimes the meter does not work so they erase the insane fees. There is a real quagmire with rental cars and EZ Pass - it is anything but Easy.

I will never rent Enterprise again I spent over 20 hours on the phone and receive statements for items resolved again in 8 months.

K
Mar 27, 2018 10:51 pm EDT

I am in shock and the amount of people with complaints and problems concerning Enterprise and tolls. I hadperson a similar situation where there was no way to pay the toll. I was unfamiliar with the area and did not have my EZPass person and they said sorry, nothing they can do I had to pay the fee. VERY unhappy I paid it. And made note to always bring my transponder with me in rental cars. On my most recent trip I had the transponder on the dash but it must not have read it. I just got a letter from Enterprise for the $1.90 toll AND the $14 fee due. Now that $1.90 toll is c.osting me $15.90! I am a regular customer and appalled at this fee.

Sep 28, 2016 9:17 am EDT

I had a rental from enterprise from 6/10/16-7/30/16 because my car was in the body shop. On 9/26/16 I received a letter dated 9/21/16 stating that I had a moving violation for the amount of $200 and a $10 admin fee which would be automatically charged to my credit card. I called the number listed on the letter [protected] to inquire about this ticket and they directed me to visit www.public.cite-web.com to view the ticket. I viewed the ticket and it was for incident that happened on 7/14/2016. The fee of the ticket is shown as $100. After contacting a few people including DMV website and an enterprise "manager" as she referred to herself, I was charged a $100 late fee. How can I be charged a late fee for a ticket that I didn't know anything about. The ticket was never sent to me, it was sent to enterprise. Enterprise didn't give me any option to contest or pay the ticket on time. Instead, they claimed, they paid $200 on my behalf and now seeking reimbursement from me. Either MVA sent the notice late to enterprise or enterprise paid the ticket late and was charged a $100 late fee. Either way I didn't receive the notification until 9/26/2016 which I have proof of. I have tried many times to reach the "manager" I spoke with and so far I have not been successful. I don't partake in unethical behaviors and enterprise have lost my business for good. I have also advised all of my friends and followers on social media of this incident and they will not be using enterprise either. I am still waiting for this "manager" to return my call since the only way I have of contacting her is by calling [protected] and giving the agent her employee # E723K6 to send her an email to get in touch with me which never happens. Enterprise does not practice ethical behaviors in my opinion and I will pursue legal action on this matter!

Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I sold my truck and needed a car for a day. Had no problem with the rental fee of 46.00 a day I accepted there insurance when the gentleman Jason was going through the walk around and said it was 5.00 a day I thought no big deal he said you wreck it all you need to do is bring back the keys and then he went on to the next sales pitch Pre Paid gas mentioned its only 2.99 a gallon if you take that option so I took it. Returned it today with bill for 117.89 and I completely understand taxes etc. How ever the bill shows 3.99 a gallon for pre-paid and the insurance was 13.95 if you want honest business don't go here they are rude and very misleading its a waste of money and time there are many other places to rent with better services.

P
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am really disappointed with the customer service at enterprise. I had rented a car a month ago and on returning, there were a few scratches on the bumper in the front. A friend of mine had a similar incident with another rental company (AVIS) and they were so nice that even though he had not taken any collision damage insurance, they did not charge him a single penny extra! I understand not everyone can be as nice. But I was charged 495 bucks that I had to pay out of my pocket because of the failure on the part of enterprise rentals to forward certain documents to my insurance company! its been a month and despite my phone calls and personal visits to the rental branch, no action has been taken yet. I was ready to get the documents personally from the rental branch and post them but I was told the DRU will deal with it and that they cannot provide me the documents. I am an international student and 500 bucks is a very huge amount for me and this pending issue has been causing me a lot of stress. I fail to understand what can take so long to forward the documents that are already prepared?

N
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Rented from Enterprise receive a letter telling me I owed a .65 cent toll but charged my credit card $18.00. They paid the toll before I got the letter so when I tried to appeal the toll citation it had already been paid and closed. Call Enterprise Customer Service who sent me to the tolls department who left me on hold 10 minutes to tell me I needed to speak to the citation department (but he said they never answer so here is there number to call them back) and he was right the message says call back later, no option for voice mail been calling for days no answer. I guess this is a scam. Send a toll fee of $18.00 for an alleged .65cent toll and never answer the phone or allow an appeal.

S
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Like a lot of others i did not have the change to pay a unattended toll in Chicago but payed it on line a couple days later. The toll was around .80 not the .30 enterprise claimed to pay. Regardless the toll was payed by me and i have the receipt. I called the number enterprise provided and again like a lot of others no response from enterprise.

V
Aug 02, 2016 4:03 am EDT

I have reserved a car as of below. When I came to the enterprise counter at the tampa airport the employee refused to rent a car claiming that my driver licence (Turkish origin) is not valid in Florida. Despite my claims that ı have already rented a car the week before, he consistently claimed the invalidity of my driver licence. Sinve I was in Tampa for a congress attendance, I did not want to discuss anymore I left the enterprise and asked for a rental car at the next desk; Thrifty. They accepted my driver licence as usual and rented me a car.

Then on my arrival to my hotel, I learned that the enterpise company is notorious about such actions because of the possibility to rent the car to a higher rate in high demand periods; such as a congress. In other words the employee or employees in the enterprise rejected my reservation so that they can sell it to a higher price.

This behavior is offcourse not ethical and embrassing for a well known car rental company. I claim this incident as a notice for your information.

Aug 02, 2016 4:03 am EDT

Needed to rent a car so gave them a call since they were the closed car rental location. When I spoke with a male rep (Jason?) on the phone he assured me that they had plenty of compact/small cars available and to "just come on in". Upon my arrival the female rep said that she was sorry but all of the inexpensive cars($30/day) had been rented but fortunately had another car she could rent to me. Yeah at $90/day. I was desperate for a vehicle so I had to pay. When my husband started a new job they had him visit this same location to pick up a rental to use for work. Shocker...same thing happened. All of the inexpensive cars had been rented but they had a $100/day car that "had just been returned" that they could rent him. I see a pattern here! BE CAREFUL!

Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

'Matt' at greencastle enterprise office changed amount of quote when I arrived to pay after he gave me phone quote, did not have cargo van I reserved, gave me mini van instead causing me to leave bedroom and living room furniture because mini van space was not sufficient, only1/8 of a tank at pick up, not cleaned, no windshield wiper fluid making trip hazardous in inclement weather, picked up at 4:30 p on feb 14, drop off office in Virginia closed at noon on sat so not even 24 hrs given, he said three days allowed for original quote.
After vehicle turned in he put additional charges on credit card without card holders permission charged $650! Web site special says 9.99 for weekend rentals, Matt lied to us then committed a crime by overcharging our credit card he also didn't give employee partnership discount from my employer! Horrible service...lawsuit worthy!

N
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On 5/16/2014 we rented a minivan with Enterprise at the Honolulu airport (3255 AOLELE ST) location for our wedding weekend. An Enterprise staff member told us not to worry about damages that are smaller than a golf ball, so we didn’t, checked out and went on our way.

Three days later when we returned the vehicle, the person that examined the car asked us if we had noticed two small damages (smaller than a golf ball) to the rear and side of the car. One damage they pointed out was a small dent you could barely even notice without standing to the side of the car and looking for it really hard. We had never noticed nor caused these damages and throughout our rental period were not involved in any incident or collision. They took note of the damages found and we were taken inside to speak with another rep. The rep performed a background check on the car and indicated that no prior damage was reported on the car, therefore making us responsible. The fact that we were responsible for unknown damage to the car that were smaller than a golf ball contradicted what the Enterprise staff member who pulled up our car told us. We understand the policy of being responsible for any damages during your rental period of the car. Having said that, we question that the car was inflicted with these damages while being rented by us. It is truly unfair to make your customer pay for damages that were not caused by them. Feeling helpless and baffled, we left Hawaii back to Austin and waited to hear back from Enterprise.

A few weeks later, we received a claim report from the Recovery Unit that assessed the vehicle, which included pictures of the damages as well as ADDITIONAL damages (scratches on the door smaller in size than a golf ball as well), never before seen by us nor mentioned by the person processing our return. The day we returned the car, we took pictures of the minivan and the damages found and have kept them. We should not be responsible for these damages - especially the ones that were not found at return. Now we’re stuck with a bill for $1500. It’s alarming.

We did research, and found that this is not a first time occurrence of something like this happening at THIS particular location at the Honolulu airport and Enterprise in general. It makes us question - is Enterprise just taking advantage of customers on their vacations, weddings, honeymoons, etc.?
See the following reviews for just a few examples of shady practices, both from this particular location and other locations:

During our two week stay in Hawaii we also rented cars from Dollar and Budget and both transactions were truly hassle-free and without incident. In fact, this is our first time renting from Enterprise ever and also happens to be the first negative experience we’ve both faced in our long history of renting cars. We both do a lot of travel for work, and will make certain we never have to rent from Enterprise again, even if it’s a company preferred vendor.

Renter beware; Avoid Enterprise like the plague and go with ANY other car rental company, or you’ll be sorry.

Aug 02, 2016 4:02 am EDT

The car my grandmother originally rented from Enterprise was a Chrysler on 10/31/2013 and the car was stolen on 11/4/2013 in which the theft was reported in the same day. Enterprise was informed the next day 11/5/2013 and to which another rental was to be provided. We were then was given the Dodge-  It was not given the usual walk through for existing damages, and we not given any paperwork. The second day of having the car it had a flat on the rear driver side and therefore the spare tire was put on. The following day after there was a flat, the Dodge had a blowout  on the highway after dark and since we no longer had any spare the car had to be left until the following day when roadside assistance was called from the number that was on the back of the original receipt from the first rental. I was then directed to go and meet the tow truck driver. Since the Enterprise location that we had gotten our services provided by was closing at noon the nearest Enterprise would be at DFW airport and RSA was arranging to have another car for me at this location. So my granddaughter and I rode with the tow truck driver as close as possible to the location as we could and eventually found the Enterprise rental office. When arriving at the office and approaching the front desk to pick up the new rental that RSA had told us that would be waiting for us to pick up, the young gentleman at the front told us " sorry but you already have 2 rentals out in your name, we can not give you another one." You can imagine how confused my granddaughter and I were at this point. We told him that it was impossible when RSA sent the tow truck driver to us and we were instructed to ride back with him to DFW  location so we could pick up the replacement for the Dodge. The gentlemen continued to argue with us about the vehicle that we apparently still had out but the Dodge had been brought in with us. He then stated that a camery or corolla was sent out to us which we never received. Therefore, when we began asking fro a manager or supervisor and that when we spoke to Laura. She was very rude and short with us and continued to argue that the Dodge was not there and that they were delivering a car to us. When we tried to explain what RSA had told us and that were just following what we were told to do they said that was not their problem that we needed to call RSA and that there was payphones to the right. We then go back to talk to RSA, RSA told us that everything was done on their part that we need to speak with Laura again. By this point we were there for and hour, and when we approached Laura once again she informed us that both the Dodge and the other car were lost and could not be located. Now let me remind you she said she had it on camera both cars leaving and coming in. My questions is how do you send a replacement delivery without any delivery address? After waiting for 2 hours they begin telling us that we need to get a taxi, and how they expected to pay for it was beyond me and they basically told us that we were SOL and that it was not their fault, which all in all it was. When my grandmother became aggravated and raised her voice telling them that  it was their fault for losing the cars and not helping us get another they threatened her with the authorities, which was uncalled for threatening and elderly woman. After being there for 4 hours and us telling them we had no way home and they either fixed it tonight or we were going to be camping there one of the other employees gave us a ride home. We never heard back on if or when they found the cars, the only time we heard anything was when a regional man called to ask our side of the situation and what had happened. Then a few weeks later we received claims in the mail 12/4/13 about damages that were made to the cars. Claims number [protected] totaling of 1430.18 for a loss on 11/05/13 on the Chrysler. Then a couple days later we received a letter on the Dodge claim [protected] totaling 2478.05. We received photos of the damages, but when the tow truck brought it in it only had two flats the photos on the other hand showed way more than when we handed the vehicle over which can be review in the claim. These claims are absurd and something needs to be done cooperation can not treat people this way and from the reviews I have seen your company has no problem with this my grandmother has been using you for years and hopefully this can be resolved. Thank you for your time

Jun 15, 2016 3:35 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I recently returned a rental vehicle to Enterprise Rental and when I got there they told me the car had a dent, and took me out to show me an area inside the front of the rear wheel well cover that had an indented area that looked like something smooth had punched it in. My husband drove the car to and from work for a week, parking in his spot, and other than that it was parked in our driveway.
The damage they showed me could not have been consistent with being parked in a parking lot or a driveway, and my husband didn't hit anything with it. The damage had no sharp edges, and no paint either chipped or transferred. I told them it couldn't have happened while we had it.
When I picked up the rental I did not look at that area of the car, but just checked briefly for any obvious dings, and took no photos (my bad).
I think they are scamming customers.
The person behind me in line returning their vehicle was having the same issue. They were being told of damage that happened that they knew nothing about...
We have never had a problem with a rental car agency before, but were usually in smaller cities than Houston, TX, where we rented this one. We are extremely disappointed with Enterprise, as we have been good customers in the past.

A
Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am EDT

I was screwed by Enterprise before on toll fees so I decided to get the Toll pass...That turned out to be a scam too!..It showed as an "invalid tag" while going through the tolls in Chicago. The a-hole that works the counter said I still have to pay for the $6.99 a day and call the psychos at the toll number...F'ck Enterprise!...I'm done with it!..Typical Corporate gangsters stealing money from everyone they can..I won't be renting from them ever again! They haven't heard the last of me either...I plan on making life hell for everyone that works for these crooks!

T
Dec 23, 2007 12:00 am EST

I NEEDED A CAR BECAUSE MINES WAS DOWN THEIR WAS A VERY SPEICAL PERSON THAT HELPED ME THOUGH MY NEEDS WELL THINGS BUILD UP I HAD SPENT OVER 2000 GRAND WITH THEM THEY CAME AND RECOVERED THE CAR SENT MY ACCOUNT TO COLLECTIONS THEN AT CHRISTMAS TIME START CHARGING MY CARD THE REP WAS DISPESPECTFUL DID NOT GIVE ME A NUMBER TO THE BIG OFFICE SO MY MONEY IS NOT FOR MY CHILDREN THEY ALSO TOLD MY STATED THAT IT WAS FOR A NEW RENTAL WHY WOULD GET A NEW RENTAL IF I DID NOT PAY THE FIRST ONE OFF

Apr 04, 2014 8:42 am EDT

First of all, thank you for this board.

My new car was having a trailer hitch installed by the dealer. When the dealer had ordered the wrong part, we were told they would give us a rental for the night. The rental was from Enterprise who has a rental desk in the service department. The girl who rented us the car filled out the rental form, walked over the car, opened the door, wrote down the mileage, and handed us the form and keys.

The next day, my wife returned the car. The girl at the counter just took the keys and told her she was all set. An hour and a half later, we got a call from Enterprise saying there was damage to the front bumper.

With no inspection before handing over the keys and no inspection on returning the vehicle, for all we know the employee drove the car into a wall. Judging from what I see online, this seems to be par for the course for Enterprise. It seems they have identified a new profit center for their business. In the meantime, I am taking this to the dealer where Enterprise has their desk in the service area. If the dealer knows their customers are getting ripped off, they may want to rethink their arrangement with Enterprise. Depending on the outcome, Yelp and Angie's List are also options to warn potential customers to the dealership of the practices of their rental partner.

Mar 12, 2016 6:18 pm EST

SCAM
They charged me once for a missed toll and on top of that were going to charge a fee because they "helped me" to pay the toll.
I told them I have EZ Pass and didn't need their help.

They waived the fee after I complained and I told them I would never use them again.

I just saw on my credit card statement that they charged me a second time and the rental car was returned weeks ago.

Either they are outright stupid or trying to pull something.

May 18, 2015 5:47 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My claim number was [protected] and I had insurance by a third party. I was asked by Enterprise to give them $500 for deductible that would be returned after bill was paid. I have yet to get reimbursed. Why?

Feb 25, 2016 6:30 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

What a scam! they don't even give you a chance to pay the $5.00 fee or find out if you have ezpass before they go and pay the toll "to help you" what a load of nonsense! They are helping themselves by immediately paying the $5.00 and asking money for it. Bad enough if you were in an accident, car totaled and have to deal with that then Enterprise wants more money from you? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

Feb 08, 2016 5:13 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I know that this is US based board however looks like this issue is international and that you have 'got off lightly' with a US$13 fee. I hired a car online via the UK website and when I rang to say I would be an hour late in collecting it they told me I had no booking. The uk based website had changed the time to the following date. I had a print out of the actual date and time of booking so was able to point that out and get a car but hate to think what would have happened if there were no cars left. Using the car in London we were unaware that there is a toll for using the dartford - thurrock crossing 2.50 GBP. As we missed this the department of transport UK sent a fine to Enterprise UK who didn't bother to pass on the fine until over a week after the fine was due meaning that we then an additional fine of 70GBP. Enterprise had the cheek to charge an admin fee of 35GBP for this 'service' as it's on the contract that they can charge a admin fee, I rang to ger some answers and I was appalled at the lack of service I received. There was zero understanding, care or consideration for the customer. Never use Enterprise rent a car. We actually had opened an account with them for some business work I was doing in Australia but closing that and will go with Avis or Hertz

Dec 29, 2015 10:29 am EST

I rented a vehicle in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I paid my bill in full before departing my flight. in about a week I received another bill in the mail.
It seems that enterprise has a way of not settling the bill with customers. Once you drop the car off the account should be settled on the spot unless
you have had an accident or put a dent in the car. I am not happy with enterprise and will not rent from them again.

H
Oct 22, 2015 11:32 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On October 11-13 I rented a car from Schuller Park, Illinois and returned it on the 13th to 1715 W Ogden Road in Naperville, Illinois. i think a few tolls were not picked up by my EZpass from Pennsylvania. the maximum I would owe is $1.50 times 5 trips. The car had license V873529 and my contract was [protected].

Is there anyway to check my EZpass or pay the entire trip time 5 to avoid a violation. i have been trying to get in contact with someone from enterprise for over a week. i was told to call [protected]. Can i just pay 7.50 and be done and avoid the violation.

Harriet Weiss cell [protected]

I
Oct 19, 2015 8:22 am EDT

I rented a car from Enterprise back in July, 2015 and received a letter in early September regarding a toll charge and a $14 administration fee. I called Enterprise Citations and they told me they would refund $13 of the fee. After two weeks of not receiving the refund, I called the company, and was told that I should receive a refund check even though I the citation was charged to my credit card. Another two weeks goes by: no refund. I again called the Citations number and they informed me that the person I spoke to initially did not process my claim and I would have to wait another 30 days for my refund. In the meantime, I called again and spoke to another manager who told me she would see if she could have my claim facilitated. I received an email from another manager who apologized for the misinformation but did not make any mention of when I would receive the refund. I called again after not receiving any information and was told the refund was processed on October 12 and I should see the refund in 3-5 days. After 5 days, I called again and was told the refund should be processed any day now. I asked to speak to a manager who informed me that the 3-5 day time frame was incorrect and that it could take up to 21 days to receive the refund. I am COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED by the lack of knowledge and misinformation I have received from Enterprise personnel. There is no reason why a $13 refund should take 3 months to receive and I still do not have it. I will never do business with this company again and will be sure to tell anyone who wants to rent a car to steer clear of Enterprise - use HERTZ!

B
Jul 07, 2015 4:14 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

This is my first time to ever be so frustrated with a company as to write a complaint. I rented a vehicle in Baltimore, Maryland to attend a funeral in Washington DC. After the funeral we went to get something to eat. I read the signs, paid the meter, and returned to find that I had received a parking ticket for parking in a place that became a drivable lane in the late afternoon. I looked for the lane postings and never found them so I chose to appeal the ticket. I sent the proper documentation to the city. If the city denies my request, I would pay my ticket, however I received a letter in the mail TODAY telling me that Enterprise was paying the ticket and that I would be assessed those charges plus a fee within seven days on my credit card. I called Enterprise to explain that I was appealing the ticket. I was told to call Washington DC to find out the status of the appeal. The very nice lady at the BMV told me that a post card had been sent to Enterprise on this day to explain that my appeal was in process and not to pay the fine until the appeal was completed. Here's where the frustration starts. I was told by the Citations representative that that my account was due to be charged the following day. I explained that the post card had been sent to Enterprise from DC to state my appeal had been received. I was told that the ticket payment would still be charged to my account tomorrow because the post card had yet to be received. The ticket isn't officially due for another week. I asked them to hold off on the payment until the end of the week when the post card should clear. He refused. I asked to speak to his superior. I was told he was the head of the department. I asked him for the next level in command. He told me he was as high on the chain as I could go and that it wasn't Enterprise's fault that I waited until the last minute. I pointed out that a holiday was part of the issue. He would not listen, was unhelpful, border lined being rude. I asked for his name. I was given an employee id number. The refusal to wait for adjudication will end up costing me $100. I don't mind paying the money if I lose my appeal. I do mind that Enterprise is unwilling to wait for the outcome. If this truly is an Enterprise policy then this is a policy that needs to be changed. It will end up costing Enterprise business.

K
Jul 01, 2015 4:43 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I've rented from Enterprise also I've paid tolls and also got a letter from Enterprise not once but twice about I owe them $15.00. Enterprise should be a shame of themselves they just being greedy. If the toll place get in touch with Enterprise then why can't they contact the person that rented the car before they claim they paid it. If your toll only $.80 then why are they charging everyone $15.00. It's a SCAM!

CHICAGO, IL

Jul 01, 2015 10:40 am EDT

Recently received a letter about my rental car not paying tolls on the NY state thruway. Apparently I was charged the length of the thruway. BUT I entered at exit 18 in New Paltz (exited a few later)not even the start of it and PAID all my tolls. Called the citations department very frustrated. The rep could not even explain the toll charges. Didn't have an explanation or breakdown of the charges. She wanted to refer me to the tolls dept. really? If you are the citations dept and dealing a lot with tolls it apparently being paid wouldn't you have this info to provide callers. Besides this is truly unbelievable. EZpass is notorious for errors and so is this enterprise citation letter that I did not pay tolls! Shame on you. What would have been an easier solution is to notify the client of the suspect toll evasion and let them sort it out within a reasonable time frame rather than be devious about it. So frustrated. I used to love enterprise. Not so much love anymore!

I rented from Enterprise in Westwood, CA in March 2015. In April I received a notice for a toll evasion in the mail. The problem was, the toll evasion took place several hours after I returned the car. I took these documents back to the branch, and was told they would take care of it. Two weeks later I still had not received anything from Enterprise acknowledging this situation. So I returned to the branch again, and they looked up the paperwork, and this time I was told by the branch manager that he would contact the Citations Department, and CC me on the email to confirm resolution of this matter. After another two weeks, still no email, no phone call, nothing. So I called the same branch again with the same complaint, and this time a "new" branch manager said he would take care of it, as the previous branch manager had been "let go", and he too said he would send me a confirmation email. Well now we are in June 2015, and I STILL have not received any notice of this issue being resolved by Enterprise, and I have no idea what the legal repercussions for me may be, since I certainly will not pay a fine for a violation I did not commit. It was Enterprise who submitted my name to the toll collection agency, and it is their obligation to correct this error and to send me notification/documentation that they have sufficiently resolved it.

G
Aug 22, 2011 3:57 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

SOLD ME EXTRA INS. WHEN I HAD FULL COVERAGE FROM ALL STATE INS. THEY SHOULD HAVE INFORMED ME OF MY OPTIONS, INSTEAD TO ABOUT TUNE 1500 DOLLARS LATER.BEING ON FIXED INCOME AND BEING 75 YRS OLD, I WAS IN SHOCK, I HAVE A LOT MORE I WOULD LIKE TO SAY BAOUT THAT COMP. I WOULD NEVER GO BACK, I WOULD NEVER RECOMEND IT TO ANYONE . GGTIMM@ YAHOO.COM

Sep 11, 2010 12:55 pm EDT

I was in an accident where I was rear ended and proven to be not at fault. The insurance company USAA and Enterprise both stated that I would not be charged for the rental car I received. I, of course, was then charged over 83 dollars and it will not be reversed for unknown reasons.

Apr 27, 2015 11:18 pm EDT

I'm in a similar situation: I specifically talked to the Enterprise representative who told me that toll routes should be paid manually in order to prevent the convenient charge. I had a 3.85$ charge in Virginia that I tried to pay myself, but the toll route had already charged Enterprise, even though I was specifically told that there was no toll device built into the car. I tried to call Enterprise about the charge, but they didn't know anything about the charge. Shortly after I got a letter for a charge of 4.66$ which sounded fair, but it said I need to pay by check. At first I thought it was a fraud and enterprise had accidentally shared my data with somebody else pretending to charge in the name of enterprise. However, after 10 different phone calls and explanations of representatives of varying competence (some were really nice), they figured out how to charge my credit card in the local office (even though my card was still not charged). Anyway, today I get another letter asking for the orginal 3.85$ charge plus a 13$ convenience fee. If Enterprise's administration is really so inefficient that it produces costs of 13$ to forward a 3.85$ charge, it probably wouldn't stay in business. Thus, we can agree that the main portion just goes into the their profit margin. Anyway, I'm willing to accept that for now (despite the fact that I feel exploited and not valued as customer), but that Enterprise representative tell me 10 different things on the phone and require my action to resolve the different issues is really horrible service. Still, nobody was able to actually explain to me what the 4.66$ charge was for and how Enterprise can just send me a letter. Also, it is unacceptable to be told before the rental that it will just be my responsibility to pay off any tolls in order to prevent the convenience fee (for which I even wasn't told that it would be 13$) and then being "surprised" that there is nothing Enterprise can do when I'm unable to pay it online (I even have proof that I tried to pay off the road toll fee within three days after I used the toll road). In conclusion, I just feel exploited.

Mar 24, 2015 7:23 pm EDT

i am in the same situation as well. I paid the tolls but still i get a letter. could anybody please help me?

I
Jan 17, 2015 7:22 pm EST

I've had the same issue come up with our rental as well. We rented a truck in November 2014, and we recieved a notice 2 months later saying that we missed a toll while we had the rental and that we now owe $10.00. We have reciepts stating that we paid for the toll at that plaza. The best part is, the letter states that the card will be charged 10 after the date of the notice, but we didn't recieve the notice until 5 days after that date, which then leaves us 5 days to magically find a way to convince violations department to give us a call back. I know from past experience that the violations department doesn't answer voicemails. Unprofessional business practices like this make me regret ever renting from Enterprise Rent a Car, and enough to stop me and friends from renting from them again.

Dec 17, 2014 9:16 am EST

I also rented a car from enterprise and was pleased until 2 months later I noticed a $13 charge. I never received a letter of notification about anything and was shocked by the charge. In my driving experience, tolls are well marked and I passed no such markings in my cross country journey. I called to obtain proof and was presented with a receipt of the charge already billed to my card. An apparent $.75 toll met with a $13 administration fee. A bit high. I am no longer pleased and will no longer be a customer or recommend the company to potential customers.

Nov 26, 2014 5:57 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

eAbhinav, customer service and satisfaction are very important to us at Enterprise. I would like to follow up with you. Please email me at care@enterprise.com with the complete details, exact renting location, contact information and any rental agreement numbers. Also reference #[protected] in the subject. I look forward to hearing from you soon, thank you. Chris, Social Monitoring Coordinator, Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Nov 21, 2014 5:46 pm EST

Hi,

I received a letter from Enterprise Rent-A-Car- Violations asking to pay for a missed toll on 8/15/2014 @7:13 PM.

I used my Ipass in that car and I have a record that for that date and time in that toll Location, I have paid the toll. I tried calling the department who sent me this letter several times but I with no response.

I have been a good customer to Enterprise and I am assuming that this is some kind of clerical error but I am in no way paying for something I have not done. That too with added $10 Fee.

Please contact me at [protected] or in the emails in CC regarding the next steps. I have tried my best to reach Enterprise department but I am not getting any response from your team.

I hope this issue can be resolved. Here are the details in the letter I got.

Invoice number : E24556931
Date/Time Of Occurrence : 8/15/2014 @ 7:13 PM
Location : IL TOLL – 36
Plate Number : VA39614
Amount Due: $11.50

Nov 12, 2014 10:11 am EST

Hi, last month I hired a car from Enterprise and went to Wisconsin. I paid almost all of the tolls but since this was my first trip so I missed 2 tolls of $0.60 amount. Recently I received a letter from enterprise about charging me $10.60 and $.60 for paying the bills.
I am not sure why enterprise directly paid the toll without informing me about my pending toll payments. They would have informed me about this and I would have directly paid to Illinois toll office. Like everyone else i call the violation deptment and just got their voice mail.

Marvin

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

649 complaints