[Resolved] Empire Todaycarpet install / now needing repair

C Aug 16, 2018

My experience with Empire started on a very positive note with my sales consult. The associate was very helpful with helping us pick the right carpet and making sure we had the warranty we wanted as well and worked to accommodate our request for install dates and times but it went downhill from there.

Carpet was installed on 3/3/18 - Tech arrived late and showed up with his wife and child in his truck and he was in a hurry. He then started to inform us that we paid way too much for the carpet and that Empire over chargers for the type of carpet we got and they never honor the warranty. We would have been better getting someone off of Craigslist. He stated the carpet was a little wet as well as it was in the warehouse but that he would cut those areas off.

Now, we start noticing that the carpet around the tile boarder is coming up. We contact Empire to schedule for someone to come out and see about making repairs. The young lady we spoke to stated that she could have the tech out there on Saturday August 11 between 8am and 10am. We are now waiting and no one has called or showed up and it is 10:45am. We contact them and we spoke to a lady who was rude and informed us "look your appointment maybe from 8 to 10 but these are sub-contractors and they can show up any time before 6pm". I informed her that this is the first time I am hearing this, and she stated will I am telling you know and hangs up. The tech finally shows up at 5:30 and it was the same guy who installed the carpet. He stated he was in a hurry and that no one gave him the call until 11:30am and he was already on a call and had things to do. He stated the issue was that the TAC strip was not replaced and it was old and not holding the carpet in place and that it was bad carpet. He stated he could not stretch the carpet because there was not enough of it to stretch and because the carpet is fraying at the transition.

I called on Monday August 13th and complained and the young lady that helped me was truly wonderful and stated someone will contact me. I received a call on Tuesday from a lady who stated she was a manager and that she needed to come out and inspect the carpet to confirm the issues. She arrived on Wednesday August 15th and informed my mother in-law she was not a manger but a installer and her name was Eunitha Collins and she then proceeds to inform my mother-in law that there is nothing wrong with the carpet that the issue is the dog is eating the carpet. Are you serious????? She is telling my mother my dog who is trained and I mean very well trained that they are eating the carpet. My dogs are not eating the carpet, nor do they play on the carpet. For someone to come into my home and tell my mother there is nothing she is going to do because her dog and cat has done the same thing to her carpet and this is what my dogs have done to this carpet is totally unprofessional. I have carpet in other parts of the home and this is not an issue.

I have a warranty on this carpet and the entire carpet is coming apart where it meets the tile and this is not a dog issue.

I have done a lot of research on fraying carpet and this has nothing to do with pets it has to do with poorly installed carpet.
 Transition molding - Where carpet meets other floor coverings, the edges must be adequately protected with an appropriate transition molding.
 Sealing - Edges placed into transitional moldings may require sealing to prevent ng - Edges placed into transitional moldings may require sealing to prevent raveling.

Carpet is fraying and looking ragged next to the wall and at transitions:
When carpet is manufactured it has a raw edge. We all understand that if a garment fabric has had the selvage cut off it needs to be hemmed or have a serged edge applied to keep it from fraying. The raw edge of a carpet backing fabric is no different in the sense that if it is not protected it to will fray. To protect that raw edge the carpet must be fully tucked between the tack strip and the wall so that the threads from the raw edge of the back will not work to the surface.

As with the backing around the walls, threads from the raw edges of the backing when not adequately tucked or protected will work to the surface. As you walk across these transitions or vacuum the carpet in these areas the back of the carpet can be separated. When it is difficult to protect the edge it is often advisable to use an adhesive along the raw edge to seal.

I really need someone to contact me to resolve this issue

• Empire Today's response · Aug 16, 2018

Cheryl, we understand your frustration and regret to hear that your carpet is not meeting your expectations. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concerns.

• Resolution Statement