Complaints & Reviews

Resolved rick - cancelation process - they totally bully you

I had an empire sales person come out to my house and I decided to purchase a kitchen floor from them. At signing, they emphatically inform you have 3 days to cancel with no obligation. Today, my husband and I decided to cancel and I called and was completely bullied and told off by the customer service cancel representative, his name is rick. He would not listen to me. He kept asking me and kept asking me, why do you want to cancel? What don't you like? At first, I was going to buy into their marketing and let the sale sit for a week or two so I could shop around but when he would not give me in writing his promise that the sale would pend, I decided to cancel all together. (My contact I signed said 3 days to cancel, well this rick wanted me wait for 1-2 weeks and leave the sale pending - I was willing to but he would not send me any email or documentation) well, this is when it got ugly. He said things such as, " well, we spent our time on you at least you can tell us why you want to cancel? Why? Well, we don't even want your business anymore. I then asked to speak to his supervisor and he would not transfer me until I told him why I wanted to speak to him. He was so rude and fast talking it makes me sick. Funny thing is, my co-worker who was sitting next to me also booked a 3 room job with them this weekend and he called immediatly and cancelled his order after witnessing what I just went through. Never again. Don't do business with empire. Go to home depot or lowe's or anywhere else. It feels like they are scam artists or something. Gross feeling. I hope this helps you make your decision.

• Sm
    smarzena Mar 22, 2010

Why don't you take your big behind and go to Home Depot to begin with. Your problem was price, if you don't want to pay don't call shop at home service. Sales Representative waisted gas and time on you. Shop at home is convenience for which you pay. You should be a shame to place this type of complaint

Business Response. Mar 24, 2010

A member of our customer service team has been in contact with you to offer options for a resolution. Please contact us at 800-588-2300 to assist with all your concerns.

Resolved rick - cancelation process - they totally bully you

• Fi
    Fitzy17 Apr 17, 2010

If you want true CUSTOMER SERVICE when it comes to all of your flooring needs consider a Mom & Pop type of flooring store. You will get one on one SERVICE and you will not be treated simply as another sale. I own a Mom and Pop shop that I will not name here but I hear these types of stories all of the time. As the owner of the company my customers deal directly with me to measure, estimate, negotiate, select materials, order materials and schedule the installations. My sales team reports directly to me and operates under the premise that the CUSTOMER IS KING, If there is a problem (seldom the case) I'm the one who resolves the situation with the customer.

I love the Empire advertising tag line of "buy today, install tomorrow", if they have installers sitting around waiting to install carpet on a last minute basis that should set off a red flag warning right away. Qualified professional installation professionals such as the ones my little Mom and Pop shop employs book out 2, 3, and 4weeks in advance. There is a reason the "other guy" is home sitting on his couch waiting for one of those last minute phone calls from the "buy today, install tomorrow" type of companies. That reason is that he is not a qualified professional installer, otherwise their services would be booked well in advance. Think about it, are you available to do what you do on a professional level the next day? Not likely if you are great at what you do.

All of this said you may in fact save a buck or two working with these large type companies to complete flooring projects in your home, however you must ask yourself, what am I willing to sacrifice? Is it the quality of the materials, the expertise of the installer, the level of service provided, the line of communication to the top levels of the organization you are dealing with? In the end you end up enduring the same or more costs to get things done cheap. Cheap is not always the answer, visit a Mom and Pop type flooring store and experience the difference.

very ignorant salesmen

I had a sales person come to my house to give me a price to have myliving room and dining room. Marty was the salesmen. He was very rude and angry. He had my granddaughter help him bring in his samples of carpeting because he didn't want to make an extra trip out to his car. He does not like to be called Martin as my daughter found out when she called him by that name. He told her don't you ever call me Martin because that is what his father called him, and he HATES that name. He let me know that my livingroom was very depressing. I have been in sales for 15 years and I would never talk to anyone the way he talked to me. As he was showing us how the lamenate flooring was scratch resistant with a coin he hit the flooring so hard that it broke into. I will never use your company to do any kind of work in my house. And i will also let my friends know not to work with your company. By the way( Martin)
works out of the Monroeville Pa. area so just be aware, you don't want to deal with this person.

• Av
    Avoid Empire Mar 06, 2010

I commiserate with you! We had a slick willy young punk named Aaron. Pushy, ignorant and used sales tactics like a used car salesman. I was against getting them to do the job, but my wife wanted it done immediately...I regret not standing firm. The salesman Aaron, siad that we shouldn't get a minimum wage laborer to do the job because they only hire reputable contractors...WRONG! The installers were straight out of a cartoon and did a shoddy job at best. They forgot to install transitions but the icing on the cake was that they left seven bags of carpet and scraps stating that the had "no room in the truck" to take it.
    I have now been on the phon with Empire to resolve all of this...what a waste of time. We're still waiting for the scammers to call us back!

Business Response. Mar 23, 2010

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our customer service team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at 800-588-2300 so we can assist you.

Resolved poor quality

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE! If you read their fine print on the back of any offered contract, you are required to go to a private arbitrator to settle any complaints, so forget the BBB. Instead, for you older folks, you might check your state's Attorney General's Office, which may have laws against preying upon senior citizens. Empire's square yard estimates are far more than other carpet companies, and their caprpet quality in the samples shown to most homeowners are vastly inferior. No, I don't own a competing company, but was taken for a financial ride by one of those slick salesman at Empire. There's a reason that they don't advertise in the Denver area yellow pages and don't even have a local business address except for toll-free and local phone numbers and a website.

This is the kind oc company that gives Free Enterpriose a black eye.

• Wi
    Willie57 Mar 15, 2010

COMPLAIN TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

EMPIRE TODAY LLC and it's offshoot, Empire Carpet Company, which advertises extensively on Television, is an extremely crooked company, selling low-quality products to unsuspecting suckers at outrageous prices. Get all the facts in your case written down, including Empire's business address information and then goto the above website and submits all the facts. It's also is smart to complain to both national and local consumer magazines. Their websites have contact information.

Business Response. Mar 16, 2010

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our customer service team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at 800-588-2300 so we can assist you.

Resolved furnishing

Having read through all of the complaints on various sites against Empire Today a.ka. Empire Carpets, I realize that my story is not unique. It seems that Empire has a long history of fraudulent sales practices, and selling inferior products. My story is long, but please read through all of it if you are even considering ordering anything from this scam outfit. Please read my report and any others on here before you think about giving this rip-off company a dime of your money.

Back in September of 2007, I was planning a party at my home scheduled for Saturday, October 20, 2007. I had recently remodeled my kitchen, which made my carpets in the remainder of the first floor look rather worn out. These carpets had been installed for about 10-12 years, and while not in dire need of replacement, certainly were in need of updating to match the rest of the recent renovations.

Having purchased carpet and had it installed by Home Depot at one of my rental properties (a VERY high traffic installation), I was familiar with their service, and quality of their carpets. They had done an excellent job at a very reasonable price. I decided to bring my business back to them for my needs at my home. I visited the local Home Depot in Manchester NH, and they came to my house on September 30th for an estimate. After selecting the same carpets and pad I had installed in my rental property, they gave me the price...$1, 400. I told them I was very happy with that, and asked it to be scheduled ASAP. It was explained to me that they were very busy at the time, and could do the job around the 3rd week of October.

Since this was very close to the date of my party, I decided I did not want to risk not having the carpets completed by that date. I told them that I would have to find someone who could do it sooner. Later that evening, I saw the Empire Carpets commercial on one of the local channels. The idea of "quality products and next day installation" sounded great. I gave them a call and set up an appointment for a salesperson to come to my house.

On October 2nd, 2007 Janice Arel with Empire Carpets in Manchester NH arrived at my home. She came into my home and introduced herself. She met my 6 year old daughter, 8 year old daughter, 3 year old Chocolate lab, 5 year old Black lab, and my wife. I showed her the areas I wanted to have carpeted. After a few more minutes of exchanging pleasantries, we sat down at the kitchen table to discuss my carpeting needs.

I started by explaining to Janice that I needed carpeting that would hold up to a very high traffic condition. I further stated that having 2 children, 2 dogs, and 2 adults walking on the carpet daily, I needed a good quality carpet that would hold up to this type of use. She told me “we’ll fix you right up”. She went back out to her car and returned shortly with her sample book. We started reviewing my choices.

Having previously had carpeting installed by Home Depot in one of my rental properties, I was somewhat familiar with what I was looking for. The carpeting installed by HD has been in my rental property (a very high traffic application with 4 children and 2 adults) for 4 years, and still looks new. I wanted to have the same type of carpet installed at my home.

After a few minutes, I found a nearly identical carpet and pad to the one I had selected from the Home Depot salesperson a few days earlier. It was very similar to what I had installed in my rental property. Immediately after I selected this carpet/pad combination, Ms. Arel told me “Oh no, you don’t want that combination, it will never stand up to the traffic”. I again told her that I had installed the same thing in my rental property 4 years ago and it still looked great. She again assured me that this particular combination (estimated by her at $1, 450 installed) would not work out.

She stated that I definitely did not want a thick pad or carpet because it would show wear sooner. She directed me towards a carpet/pad combination that quite honestly looked much cheaper than my first choice. I AGAIN reiterated that I did not want to be changing the carpet in a few years. She assured me that this carpet pad combination would do the trick. I said “OK, you are the expert”. I did not know how soon I would live to regret those words.

I asked her about the pricing. She told me it would be $2, 150 installed. She told me it was the best she could do. Since it was $700 more than the carpet I wanted, I immediately told her to forget it. Strangely enough, her “best deal” suddenly got better, and she dropped the price to $1, 950. When I again asked if she could do better, she told me if I signed up for THEIR credit card, she could drop it lower. I did so, and the “best she could do” suddenly dropped to $1, 840.

Since I was desperate to have the job completed in time for my party, I agreed. Before signing the paperwork I again asked her if she was sure the carpet she recommended would stand up to my needs. She assured me that this would definitely do it, and if I went with my first choice I would likely be changing the carpets in a year or two. How prophetic of her, because I am now faced with changing them after taking the advice of Empire Carpet’s “expert”. It is clear that Empire’s salespeople are trained to milk the customer for the most money, and not to take their best interests into account when recommending carpet.

I signed the paperwork, and prepared to have my carpeting installed.

NEXT DAY CARPETS? NOT. This is another integral part of the scam. You see their advertisements every day promoting next day installation. They do not provide it! The only reason I went with Empire in the first place was because they could have the job done before my party. They assured me that it would be done in time. Were they done in time? Yes, by 1 day. The salesperson was at my house on October 2nd, and the carpets were finally installed on October 19th, one day before my party!! There was a litany of excuses why it took over 2 weeks to have them installed, but once again, Empire’s fraudulent sales tactics shined through. If I wanted to wait until 1 day before, I would have had Home Depot do the job for a lower price with better quality.

So, on October 19th, 2007 two young gentlemen arrived at my home to begin installation of the carpet. Both of these young men were very polite, professional, and efficient. They did a very quick job of installing the carpet, and removing the old carpets. When they were done they asked if I had any questions. I said no, tipped them $20 each and said goodbye. These subcontractors (NOT Empire employees) were the only part of my Customer Service experience with Empire that was remotely professional.

After only about 1 week, the transition strips between the new carpet and my living room, bedrooms and bathrooms were bending and pulling up. The nails that held the strips in place were popping out daily. One morning one of my dogs was lying on the floor choking on one of these nails that were supposed to secure these strips. The strips were made of a cheap, inferior gage metal and the nails used were too short to hold them in place. This was just the beginning of my nightmare with the quality of their products and services.

I spent the next week or so walking around with a hammer pounding these nails back in place. After 2 weeks of doing this, I went back to my local Home Depot, and bought heavier gage strips and the proper length nails. I replaced all of the strips, and just wrote this off as a “fluke” and since it did not cost much to repair, I did not call to complain. I simply decided to move on and not worry about it.

My problems continued for about 6 months, as the carpet was shedding like one of my labs in the hot humid New Hampshire summer. I called the 800 number to complain about this, and was told that this was “perfectly normal” and would subside after time. Well sure enough, it did subside after about 6 months. Unfortunately not only the fuzz of the carpet fibers had gone away, so had the original shine, luster, and 2 tone color of the rug. I again called to complain, and was again told by an “associate” who refused to identify herself that this was “normal”.

We continued to maintain the carpet at normal intervals, vacuuming 3 times a week. While the carpet was certainly not dirty, it did NOT look like a carpet that was only 7 months old. I thought that perhaps it just needed to be professionally cleaned, and contracted a commercial cleaning company to clean the rug. $125 later, the carpet still looked like it had been in my house for 5 years. Around this same time, I noticed yet another problem with the carpet. Anywhere where there was traffic, the carpet was compacted down so that there is literally no cushion between the rug and the plywood below. By contrast, anywhere that was not walked on still looked new. This carpet that I was told I had to have by their “trained salesperson” was falling apart below my feet.

Since I travel on business 30 weeks a year, I simply learned to live with it. It was not until my wife urged me every day for a month that I decided to call and try to file a formal complaint with Empire Carpets. The carpets were badly worn anywhere that there was traffic, and the pad was completely compressed. I began calling in November of 2008. After placing 3 phone calls and being promised I would receive a call, I was finally contacted in December by yet another “anonymous” associate who took my complaint, and explained that they needed to send someone out to see if it was installation related.

On December 29th, 2009 Empire finally sent a representative to check the installation. He was very polite, and friendly. He looked around for a few minutes, and then told me “it’s not an install problem”(big surprise, huh?). I asked him how long he had been in the carpet business, and he said 25 years. I told him that I realized he could not comment on the cause. I asked him directly “off the record, should this carpet look like this after only 14 months?” He replied “no” and walked out of my house.

On January 2nd, 2009 I received a voice mail from someone named Eleanor [protected]) who stated that the results of the first inspection proved the issue was not installation related. She further stated that I now needed to allow an independent inspector (who in reality works in conjunction with carpet manufacturer) to come to my house to see if the issue is related to a defect in the carpet. I called Eleanor back 3 times that week, but did not hear back from her. Apparently Eleanor is the rep in the Manchester NH area.

On January 5th, I received a call from a Ron Assante with Inspect Solutions. He informed me that a gentleman by the name of Dana Masters would be contacting me to arrange an appointment to check the carpeting for defects. On January 12, I received a call from Mr. Masters who told me he would be at my house on January 14. I explained that I was in Dallas on business, but that my wife would be home and for him to go to the house. He did in fact show up on January 14.

Mr. Masters spent a total of about 10 minutes in the house. While the sub-standard carpeting showed signs of extreme wear throughout the living room, hallways and stairways, Mr. Masters took pictures only of an area in front of where my couch had once been. When asked why he did not inspect the hallways or stairways, Mr. Masters replied that he didn’t need to. It is actually comical that in Mr. Master’s “independent” report he only stated there was worn carpeting in the living room. Since he didn’t even look at the hallway or stairways, he could not report on that. Sure enough, when the report came out, he ONLY discussed the living room. He only spoke of 1 area in front of the old couch location, and made no mention of the rest of the badly deteriorated carpet in the remainder of the house.

On January 21st, I received another “anonymous” call from an Empire rep. She explained to me that the damage was (drum roll please………) Consumer Related!!! How convenient that the “independent” inspector whose job it is to make sure the carpet manufacturer does not have to pay claims on their shoddy carpet came back with a report stating the issue was consumer related. I immediately told the woman I wanted to speak to a Supervisor. I was told none was available, and that I “needed to learn how to take care of my carpets” and I would not have this problem. I again asked for the name of a Supervisor, and was told that they do not give that information out.

On January 27, I got another voice mail from the elusive Eleanor stating that she heard that I was upset with the report, and wanted to review the report with me. I called her 4 times [protected]) over the next 2 days, and got voice mail every time. I left her 4 voice mails telling her I wanted the name and number of the highest person in the Empire organization. I never heard back from Eleanor.

On February 2nd, 2009 I received a call from a “Darlene” from Empire calling from a Massachusetts phone number [protected]). Darlene (who also would not give me her last name) started the conversation by stating that she wanted to go over the results of the report. I told her I was fully aware of the results, and that the results were BS. I told her the same long story I’ve laid out here, clearly explaining that it was an Empire employee who told me I HAD to get this particular carpet and pad combination if I wanted it to hold up. She told me that there was nothing she could do (unless I wanted to pay to upgrade the carpet) about the situation. I told her that their sales practices are fraudulent, and that I was convinced to buy a much more expensive carpet based on false promises in an effort to increase the amount of my sale.

I asked her if she thought they owed me something for outright lying, and supplying sub-standard materials. She said “Tom, if we gave out money every time we had a problem, we would have been out of business a long time ago”. I replied back to her “if you didn’t use fraudulent sales practices and provided good quality products you wouldn’t need to worry about giving out money, would you?” She did not speak for about 10 seconds. I went on to tell her that I am not someone who is looking for something that I do not deserve. I told her all I wanted was to get what I paid for in the beginning, nothing more, nothing less. She thought about that for a minute and then said “Tom, you sound sincere and I think we should do something about this. I am going to have Helen Brown call you.” When I asked for Helen Brown’s email address and phone #, I was again told that they do not give that information out and that I needed to wait for Ms. Brown to call me.

On February 5, I received a call from Ms. Brown. [protected] X 7782) If her name sounds familiar, it should. Her name is all over the consumer chat boards, generally because she is the one who they send the angry consumers who have been ripped off. Sadly, if you read the other stories she never does anything to resolve the situation.

I once again told my long sad story to Ms. Brown. Ms. Brown listened very politely while I talked for about 20 minutes. At the end I again told her that I felt that there Sales tactics were fraudulent, and intended to rip off customers. I further stated that I was not as upset that the carpet DID wear, I was upset because the Empire sales rep purposely defrauded me out of additional money to sell me inferior carpet that could never stand up to my needs.

After listening to me, she again reminded me that the report stated it was consumer related. I asked her if she had listened to anything I had said in the previous 20 minutes. She stated that they would replace the carpet, if I paid to have it installed. I asked her “let me get this straight, you want me to pay to re-install the same junk carpet so that I can be in the same situation in 6 months???” She immediately replied “well, if you want to upgrade to a carpet that will suit your needs you could pay the difference and pay to install it.” I immediately replied back “now you want me to spend another $1, 000 just to get the carpet that your salesperson assured me I was getting in the first place?”

I told her this is unacceptable, and that I wanted the name of the president, VP, or whoever is the highest up in the company. Once again, I was told that this information could not be given out, and that I would have to speak to the “Regional Manager” a Charles Edwards of Philadelphia. I asked her for his name and phone number and (you guessed it…..) she could not give out that information. I told her to have him call me. Today is January 9, and I have still not heard from Mr. Edwards.

My question to anyone who is thinking of giving this scam outfit one dime is this: If they were truly an honest and forthright company, why would they go to such lengths to hide any means of contacting people there? I have scoured the internet for email addresses, phone numbers, or physical address and come up with nothing. It is obvious that they do this for a reason……….if they didn’t their email and phones would be blowing up with inquiries from ripped-off customers like me.

In summary, please do not even think of using this company for anything. You WILL end up just like every other person who has posted a similar story to mine. Nothing will ever be done; they will take your cash, and leave you wondering how you could have fallen for such an outright scam. They train their people to lie in an effort to increase sales, and use low quality materials to do the job. They do not care about repeat sales, all they want is one shot at you……….it’s all they need.

Please, spread the word about these thieves. Don’t let this happen to you, your loved ones or friends.

Tom

New Boston, NH

Business Response Feb 18, 2010

Thank you for bringing your carpet experience to our attention. Our customer service team looks forward to addressing your concerns immediately. We encourage you to contact us directly by calling us at 800-588-2300.

• Ju

Mr. Todd Dickson, Chief Revenue Officer
    Ms. Marlo M. Michalek, VP of Marketing and Communications
    Ms. Bridget Moscatello, VP of Customer Care
    Kim Mazdore, Director, Media

This is a privately held company.

Resolved defective laminate flooring

We paid almost $2500 for a laminate floor for our kitchen and den in September 2008. Salesman Alan Peele [protected]) assured us it would be even better than hardwoods. Though the floor did not look like the picture, we were still happy. By October 2009 the floor was bubbly in odd places. Rhonda Coleman [protected]) sent someone to our house allegedly to repair the boards. The two workers, after poking the floor and making it look worse, said they didn't know if Empire would make good on the product. They then were unable to answer any of our questions. They put blue duct tape on the spots they had messed up in an attempt to repair the new mess they created. After numerous attempts to get Rhonda, who ha said she would contact us, I finally talked with her. She said the bad floor was our fault and that Empire would not stand by the promises of their salesman. When I asked her how happy she would be with a defective floor and asked for her superior, she referred me to Renatta Odum at corporate [protected]). Renatta basically said "tough luck" and that we could pay someone to come look at the floor. She was very abrupt, but did refer us to Tim Sherwin at regional [protected]), who said the floor was highly water resistant and was surprised that some surface moisture (this is what we were told had happened) could cause this damage. He had no answer for why Empire would install a floor, especially in a kitchen, that couldn't be damp mopped. We explained that the floor had not been bused. He made no apologies and also said that Empire would not repair the floor they had sold us less than 1 1/2 years ago. We are now in contact with our attorney, when all we had wanted was for them to honor their promises.

Do not do business with Empire. Whatever is under your feet is better than the inferior product sold to us by a company more interested in cashing a check than keeping a customer. We had thought about using Empire for our lake house, but we now know better. Use a local contractor who stand by his promises.

Empire Today, LLC

Resolved this company is scandalously fraudulen

My mom bought carpet from this company in February, 2008. At first when she vacuumed, she thought the carpet debris was just extra fibers from the install. However, each time she vacuumed, the canister filled half-full with carpet remnants. Empire sent a tech out to inspect, and of course, there was nothing wrong with the carpet! A rep suggested it was the vacuum. I have used 3 vacuums on my mom's carpet with the same results. iIn one vacuum, the canister loads up with carpet shedding! Now I have a complaint lodged against this company with Consumer Affairs! My 86 year old mom can't sleep in the bedroom. There is excessive dust which irritates her windpipe (asthma) and her sinuses. This company is scandalously fraudulent!

Business Response. Mar 23, 2010

Thank you for bringing your carpet experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our customer service team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at 800-588-2300 so we can assist you.

Resolved shotty work

Well Empire installed carpet in 1 room and laminate in my bathrooms 4 1/2 years ago.The carpet is wore thin...

Resolved sales rep/pricing

I had Empire come out for an in home estimate on laminate flooring from my kitchen, through my dining and family room, and my hallway. 700 sq ft total. First off the sales rep was very condescending and unprofessional. In the first 1o minutes she made the statement, " well we're not the cheapest" a good 3 times as if she knew what was in my bank account...She told my daughter several times throughout the process, "why dont you take your little brother in his room and play." I guess my 2 and 8 yr old children were bothering her. She went on and on about how much better quality their product was than anything Home Depot or Lowes carried, particularly the click and lock system on their product..She had an example of the "bad" one with her, but said that their sample was in her car buried under other samples. Anyhow, then came the estimate...For 700 sq ft of laminate I was originally quoted $9600!!! Then she went out to her car and "called her manager", she came back with a generous offer of $7200. Thats over $100 a sq ft! For LAMINATE!!! These people are nuts!!! I asked her for a break down of material and labor costs and she said they dont do it that way, it was a package deal. But that included moving furniture, removing old flooring and disposing of, etc. My husband said, "what if we do that ourselves?" and she just laughed. Never was I offered the current online and tv advertised sale of 60% off select brands...This company is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen and will never do business with them.

Resolved fraud/scam

Let me start off by saying I was quoted $8, 200 for 1 small room of "inexpensive laminate flooring." I want...

Resolved installation quality on stairs

Issue began in February 2009 when carpet was installed. 3 installers who spoke Spanish came to my home. The...

Resolved would never use them again

We had carpeting installed in our living room yesterday. The employees could hardly comminicate in english. They damaged a heat vent by pushing their strecher up against it and bending it inward and then claimed it was like that when they came. They also cut the carpeting around the fire place mantel when I specifically requested it go underneath the mantel. I was mad and didn't sign off on the work and they would not leave a copy of the invoice for me. They left a mess in the foyer and didn't put the furniture back before leaving as I was promised. I would never use them again!

Resolved laminate floors/baseboard molding issues

I had Empire Today install laminate floors on the entire lower floor of my townhouse for approx. $6K on...

Resolved rude sales rep

CUTE ADS- RUDE SALES REPS in Texas!

We had a in home quote done today by Rex here in the Ft. Worth Texas area. Rex showed up and when bringing in the carpet samples he first spit on my driveway as he made his way to his truck. When we asked how much carpet was per square foot he had no idea on how to break down the price, very unprepared and unprofessional. We had to call him back to come back the next day so we could sign the contract he was rude and hung up on us. I was told that he does not [censored]ing care, and just like that! I am flabbergasted as to the lack of customer service I was shown by this Empire Carpet Sales rep Rex. And they want to sell us carpet, oviously not!

• Updated by Company Response · Nov 16, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

• Vi
    Victor520 Nov 12, 2009

Why post on here and give the whole company a bad name? Why not call his superiors and leave a formal complaint there.

Resolved bad billing, defective carpet, errors at office that caused a collection on credit report.

On May 29th 2008 I place two orders with Empire Carpet with sales rep Mr. Phillip Dorminey. Order # 1...

Resolved horrible installation job and terrible customer service

I have major problems with the results of my hardwood flooring install (serious permanent damage to my home...

Resolved don't use them

Don't use this company!!! 3 months later and still no resolution. Installers damaged my freshly painted...

Resolved quote complaint

Mr Hunter,
On July 17th 2009 I called for a quote on window treatments for my new home in Chicago. An appointment was made and the salesman Reid met with myself and my wife. After a long meeting and debating colors and what would work best for our windows, we chose some sample colors and patterns. Reid stated he had another call and could not leave the samples for us to hold up to the windows until later that day. So later that day Reid did as he said he would and left them for us.

We finally made a decscion and called him back to place the order. He came back and wrote up a tenative order based on his pre-measurement. We had agreed on the price to do all 8 of my windows for the price $3097 installed. He left and after a couple of days had passed, he called and said he wouldn't be able to do the job for that amount. To our surprise he called a day or two later and said that his manager said they would do the job for that price and he would set it up for our windows to be offically measured by the installer. The same day Reid's manager called us to let us know that we had received a very good price and the job would be done. I thought maybe I received this pricing because we had used Empire to carpet our 2 previous homes in the suburbs and Reid was aware of it.

The installer came, offically measured and said it would be probably about 2-3 weeks before the window treatments would be installed. Reid called and said he needed to have us sign the contract. We never heard back from Reid, which was unusual as he was always very prompt about calling during the selling part. We finally got ahold of him and he preceeded to explain all of the personal issues he had going on and he was never able to make it over with the contract. Needless to say he never showed up.

I called and spoke to Reid's manager who had the original quote of $3097.00. He said he was not the right person and would transfer me to the correct manager and I got his voicemail. After numerous calls, someone finally responded and said they were not going to honor that price.

I would not even be writing this complaint had Reid not called us back and said his manager approved it. We called customer service numerous times and were connected to the voicemails of supposed supervisors. We never received any phone calls back from anyone. To conclude what has happened, we made another phone call to customer service and was told by the gentleman who answered that our order was now around 4, 600.00. This is saying our original order was possibly misquoted but has become very confusing since Reid's manager called and said this is great pricing and they would be going forward to complete our order.

Hopefully you be able to address this and honor what was agreed upon. If not, you can assume that I will never use Empire and advise against anyone using them. What was originally ordered and agreed upon, has suddenly turned a complete dismissal of a client interested in purchasing your product. This is extremely poor customer service which we have never experienced with your company before. Several more calls have been placed to your company in reference to this order and no one ever calls us back.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Donald & Phyllis Holly

Resolved defective blinds

I purchased blinds from Empire in September 2007. The biggest "home improvement purchase" I have made. I have experienced repeated problems with these blinds. The strings end up sliding so far that we have to use a step ladder to reach the strings or either have to close the blinds in the opposite direction. We have called Empire over and over again over the past two years trying to get our blinds fixed and they were never fixed to our satisfaction. There are still gaps even with the blinds closed. Recently (over the past three months) we have tried unsuccessfully to have our blinds fixed. We have been given the run around and still have defective blinds. I am trying to figure out how to take Empire to Small Claims Court in N.C. because the business in out of Chicago. I will never, ever use Empire and will spread the word to family and friends not to use them.

Resolved awful, awful, awful

My 72 yr old aunt had work done by Empire (floor abd carpet co.)It was financed by their finance co. Then she refinanced her house and paid them in full ($2950.00) We send copy of front and back of the cancelled check twice. They insist they did not get it. They have taken my aunt's homesteader tax rebate, her federal income tax & continue to threaten her.

She's afraid they'll seize her Soc. security. Bank that cashed the $2950 check won't give me any info.