Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] refund of deposit

Jan 17 2012 had a salesmen come to my home, we entered into a contract for laminate flooring and was assured by him and also a document we signed, that we could cancel within 3 days and receive our deposit back.On Jan18, 2012 I called to cancel, also followed instructions on cancel document to submit in writing of cancel and would receive my deposit within 10 days of receipt.Called 30days later and was told a check was on the way from the San Fran office, it would take 10-14 buisness days.March 14 called and was told a check was issues Feb 29 2012
and give it another day or so, even gave me a check #. It is now March29 2012 I still have received NOTHING.I wish I would have read all the complaints online Before I had them come to my home.Any suggestions on how I can get my deposit back.

• Empire Today's response · Mar 30, 2012

Christine, we regret any inconvenience caused by the delay in receiving your refund from your cancelled order. We’re happy to hear that this matter has now been resolved. If you have any questions, please call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email [email protected] Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Empire Today's response · Jul 06, 2018

Dear Customer, please email us at [email protected] with both your concerns and account information so we may follow up with you and discuss your concerns.

• Mr
    Mrs Holmes Mar 29, 2012

This matter has been resolved.Mrs Holmes

• Di
    Disappointmented Jul 05, 2018

Empire Today did the exact same thing to me. The salesman came to my home and showed my examples, I gave him a $200 deposit. The next I decided to go with another vendor and called to cancel order and receive my deposit back. This was on june 20th, 2018. The customer service rep, said it would take 7-10 business days in which I would receive my refund. The 10th day being july 5th, he said if the money wasnt back in my acvount that I should call back. On july 5th I checked my account and sure enough the money wasnt there, so I called empire customer support again, the agent indicated that initial request I made on june 20th hadnt been submitted and now it would take another 7-10 business days. I took a deep breath, and calmley informed the rep that I would file a complaint with the michigan attorney general consumer affairs department, the BBB and both wdiv and wxyz consumer affairs department. I will never do business with empre today. I told all of my neighbors about my experience and will tell my city council as well. Shame on empire. Let the potential buyer beware and look elsewhere for carpeting.

[Resolved] Carpet Fuzz

On Feb. 24, 2017 We had carpet installed. We were assured by the sales rep. Randy that this carpet would not...

[Resolved] bad service

We called Empire to see what they had to offer and saleman stoppedby. We needed carpet for our living-room and bedroom. He was your typical saleman( snakeoil type). Once we decided what we liked and questioned the price the full court press switched on. I was used to dealing with my neighborhood carpet shop but we decided to give Empire a chance, so was not used to this BS. He complained if I do not make the deal now I might miss out on a great price and he would have to make a second trip to possibly close the deal. So what if he has to do a little work. He got on the phone made a call to impress me and came back with reduced price of about $400.00 from his original quote. My target price was about $30.00 per sq yd, so his reduced price was on target. I signed off on the deal.

We were told that the 2 pieces would be bound and delivery would be from 8-6pm. I was ok with the delivery times but was told on the day of delivery if we did not hear by 10:30am from the delivery service to call a certain number. At 10:30 we called and were told they could not reach the installer but someone would call us back. We did not hear from anyone. We called a few more times up to 5pm and were told they still could not get in touch with the installers and not sure where they are!!. I asked don't you think that is unusual that your company could not get in touch with someone who is suppose to deliver your product. No answer to the question, gee what a suprise.

At 5:30pm I decided I was going go out and that is when the installers showed up. I asked them why they never called me or responded to phone calls to find them. They said they never heard or received any calls from anyone all day!! This means someone is lying. They then proceed to tear up my old carpet in the LR and take it out. When they brought up the new carpet we noticed it was not bound and it was one large piece. They said they cut and bind it on site.That would take at least 1.5 -2 hours. We were NEVER told this. We were lead to believe this was all done at the warehouse. Now it is 6:15pm We then checked to make sure the carpet was the right one. We checked and felt this was not that same quality we picked. More phone calls now it is about 7pm. The installer cut off a peice of the end and we compared it to the remaing BR carpet. They both agreed it was not the same as the quality in the BR. So what to do? We refused the carpet.

In the end we got zero phone calls all day to let us now anything, the istallers show up tear up my LR rug, leave a mess in the building hallway which I cleaned up. Now I have no carpet in the LR. You would think that the saleman or someone from Empire would have called us. We got zero calls all day and up until this writing. Refusing the carpet was the best thing we did. I should of read this website first. My advice is to stay away from Empire and go with works. We went back to our neighborhood carpet guy and got a better deal on a much better carpet.

• Empire Today's response · Mar 19, 2012

We are disappointed to hear about the issues that occurred during your installation appointment. It is our top priority to provide our customers with world-class service so that they are completely satisfied, and we regret that this was not the case. We understand that you’ve gone with another company, but we’d still like to speak to you about your concerns and learn more about your experience. Unfortunately, we are unable to locate your account from the information provided in your review. If you’d be willing to, please call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email [email protected], and we’ll follow back with you. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Ju
    Junestwin Mar 07, 2011

We had a sales representative come to our house he was very nice my first negative was when he started to bad mouth Home Depot and lows. I can't stand when a salesman bad mouths another company. Well anyway I let it slide thinking he was proud of empire. He measured and we looked at samples. I was not going to make a decision that day anyway - I just don't make decision that quick.

Well when we got our quote it was over $8000 for about 2200 sq feet that was with the buy 1room get the rest free. When I told him my quote from Home Depot was approx. $6000 he immediately dropped his price to $6500 I said I wanted to find my Home Depot quote to be sure he started pressuring me to buy - that he could have it installed on Monday today way Saturday. I told him I still needed to pack up my house - we had 2 floods in our house and it was basically a mess I wanted to go through everything myself to discard what I didn't want anymore. He became upset at that point but was still pleasant. But I was assured when I made my appointment that I would not have to make a decision on the spot. We decided we would call empire back if we wanted to use them. Still have not decided, but I figured the price would be a whole lot better than what they quoted. I don't think they actually give you the deal they advertise on TV. I expected the quote to be at least half of the Home Depot price.

Business Response. Mar 10, 2011

We’ve seen your other post online and reached out to you on 2/23. I’d like to look up your account so we can see the product you selected and give you more information about our promotion. If you’re interested in having us look up your account, please email your contact information to [email protected] or contact me via phone at 888-588-2315 x4195 and a member of our Customer Service Team will reach out to you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Pe
    Peaches1379 Mar 22, 2012

REBEKAH CLERK DOES NOT EXIST! THIS IS THE BIG SCAM THAT EMPIRE TODAY HAS BEEN USING FOR YEARS! This fictitious person will post the same type of comment shown above so that newcomes to this board will THINK they are concerned and offering resolution. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS FOR ONE SECOND! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS COMPANY CONTINUES TO STAY IN BUSINESS.

nocorpman1 Mar 24, 2012

Empire Carpet and Rebekah Clerk should be exposed by one the TV news shows. Nothing worse then some bad TV exposure to show how they operate.

nocorpman1 Apr 07, 2012

I just got lucky with my situation with these low life, scam artists. I was able to refuse the goods when they were deivered, and now I received my refund check, so now I am 100% free and clear of these turkeys. I have been able to get 2 people so far to change their minds about ordering from Empire. I feel like my work is done here.

• Do
    dohernan May 09, 2012

I had made an appointment with Empire to quote some hard wood flooring but after reading so many complaints I quickly cancelled. Thanks to all of you who posted to this site, I had no idea what my wife & I were about to get ourselves involved with.

Regards,
    DH

[Resolved] customer service

Google the names of the Sales Manager and the self proclaimed “VP of Customer Service”, and DOZENS of complaints come up. I have a customer satisfaction issue they are not willing to budge on, and it is extremely disappointing as I relied on their #1 sales rep to provide me with the guidance and vision to select the right color for my flooring. Said Rep has not returned a single call from me. His suggestion was wrong, I'm stuck with a $7K bill, and no one at Empire cares. The “VP of Customer Service”, and supposed front line to the owner (whom I asked to speak to but was told "no") of Empire Today's Linked In profile reads: Sr. Regional CS Manager at Empire Today, LLC. The last I knew, "Regional" is not all encompassing, nor is it a Vice President. I spoke with the BBB today, and their opinion is as follows: in that I relied on their expertise and professional experience to make my decision, I have a reasonable complaint to file with them. I'm doing so now.

• Empire Today's response · Feb 28, 2012

Kimberly, it’s disappointing to hear that you haven’t been completely satisfied with your experience. We make it a priority to work with our customers if they have any concerns, and we understand that we’ve offered a resolution that you have declined. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email [email protected] Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Em
    Empire Ripoff Today Mar 16, 2011

This company does not communicate with it's customers, doesn't show up for appointments and good luck getting your deposit back. These guys are crooks. Don't use them, you will be sorry.

Business Response. Mar 17, 2011

I’ve read your post and would like to be able to look up your account so I can look into the details of your order. I apologize that you feel like we didn’t communicate well with you, but as a member of our National Customer Service Team it is important I follow back with you to better understand what happened during your experience. If you could please email [email protected] or contact me via phone at 88-588-2315 x4195 and I will get back to you right away. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

[Resolved] empire builds its empire with outrageous prices

Was looking to get laminate floor for my living area which is about 240 sq feet not a really big room so I called Empire because they had a 70 percent off sale for a ball park figure. They told me I would have to have a in home estimate and set it up for the next day between 5 and 7. Sales reps. arrives at about 7:20 complaining how far out I lived. How it cost him 15 dollars in gas to come to my house and how he works for commission all this was being said before he even showed us samples of floors or discussed priced. I thought that was a odd way to start out a sales presentation and then asked me why I scheduled for such a late appointment because he was close to my area at 10 this morning. I explained to him that my husband did not get off work until 4:30 so 5 would be the earliest we would be available. He asked me which room I wanted to get done and I told him the living area. He said he could measure it in a matter of minutes and hopefully make it home for dinner, He begin to tell me about carpet and I had to inform him I wanted laminate flooring so he bought out samples and we looked while he measured and we picked out one. He figured up the bill a gave me a outrageous price of 4000 dollars. I bought fell out of my chair. I told him I had other estimates and I would call if I choose to go with them. He then went back in to the song and dance of how far he had to come out. He told me if I signed tonight I could get in done the next day but would rather me wait until the day after because he didn't really feel like writing out the order and sending it out that night, He then went done to 3600. I still looked at him like he was off his rocker and he asked me about the other estimates I have gotten. I told him about the one I had that would be .69 cent a square foot for the laminate and 1.59 a foot to install. Which was a total of 580 dollars. He said it would not even be worth his time to give me a 500 dollar quote and went to his car to bring out a piece of what he called junk laminate and said this is what I would be getting for the 580 dollar price and went to break it. It didn't break but did crack on the backside when he tried to break it. He explained sure it would do fine for 3-5 years but after that it would look like crap and he should know because that is what is in his house. I was thinking to myself you work for empire and you wouldn't even pay the outrageous price you are asking me to pay. My husband told him that the price he was asking was way to high because our neighbors had recently gotten their living room dining room and kitchen done for right at [protected] sq ft total) and that we was not going to pay almost 4000 for our one little room. That the more rooms you get done the cheaper it is because even thought it would only take 13 boxes to do my room the driver had to come all the way out to my house and install it so he said the price had to cover the installer getting paid, the salesmen getting paid and Empire making a profit. We thanked him for his time and told him we would let him know . Then he did his final and last offer of 2700. I am going with the 580 price. I change my mind every year and remodel so If the floor only last 5 years I will get my moneys worth. Don't waste your time on having a bozo give you a outrageous price . A true legit business would have a set price for a set job and the price wouldn't change 4 or 5 times.

• Empire Today's response · Feb 10, 2012

Shaun, we apologize that you were disappointed by your sales appointment. Our pricing is all inclusive, which means it covers the product cost, as well as installation labor and any additional services required. We also offer a price match guarantee. We hope that you’ll reconsider using us for your home improvement needs, and we’ll be contacting you soon to discuss your concerns. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

[Resolved] Flooring Warping from Moisture

My Empire Today flooring experience has left me feeling angry, insulted and cheated. I gave Empire Today the...

[Resolved] carpet

I had Empire install over $4, 000 worth of carpeting - 3 bdrms and l/r & hallways. Within one week one of the bedrooms had a horrendous odor. I aired out the room and waited one week. The odor was still there. Empire came back and told me my cats had peed on the rug and refused to do anything about it. It has been 3 months and the carpet still reeks. I had it professionally cleaned which only helped a little. I wrote Empire a letter and a representative from the office called and told me they would come and rip up the carpeting. They never showed. For 2 weeks now I've been given the runaround and passed from person to person, always with a promise that someone would get back to me. Meanwhile I have a room no one can bear to be in, and the furniture in that room piled in my living room.

• Updated by Company Response · Feb 11, 2009

Dear Bettye Lynn

Empire Today is currently researching your concerns. We always want to ensure that you have the best possible experience, and a customer care team member will contact you directly within one business day to work toward a resolution. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

• Empire Today's response · Feb 02, 2012

Peggy, we’re sorry to hear about the problems that you’ve been experiencing with your product post-installation and for any delays in addressing your concerns. We always want to work with our customers to resolve their concerns, and we’d like to discuss this issue with you further. A member of our customer service team will be in contact with you soon to work towards a resolution. If you have any questions, please contact us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email us at [email protected] Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Empire Today's response · Jul 05, 2012

We’re disappointed to know that you have not been satisfied with your product. We can assure you that we make any customer concerns a top priority, and we’d like to speak to you to learn more about the issues that you’ve been experiencing. We are unable to locate your account with the information provided. Please call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email us at [email protected], and we’ll follow back with you to work towards a resolution. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Be
    Bettye A Lynn Jan 09, 2009

On December 1, 2008, I called Empire Today to complain about Empire and its service. I am not complaining about the quality of their work, but the lack of consideration to their customer.

I had Empire to install some carpet in my bedroom, bathroom and down the hall. They talked me into buying the most expensive carpet they had, saying that I needed a good carpet that would last. After the carpet was laid I found that I was allergic to the carpet. I wanted them to change out the carpet and put in a lower nap, one that would not give off lint so readily. I was willing to exchange the more expensive brand for a cheaper carpet and will pay the same price. They told me they could not do that, which I had to pay for new carpet. I would have to pay the $3584 dollars plus the price of the lower grade carpet. After paying $1000 dollars cash down, I would own $2584. I think this was very unfair.

First Empire told me for them to do something about the carpet; they need a letter from my doctor (letter enclosed) saying that the carpet made me sick. When I got the letter, Empire told me that they could not do any thing about the carpet because they could not use the carpet, they would have to throw it away and that I would have to pay an additional amount to install carpet that would not aggravate my allergy.

Someone came out one time and looked at the carpet, took the measurement of the pile, and told me that there was no defect in the carpet. I told them I was not looking for defects. I wanted the carpet removed. They told me that they would get back with me, but they never did. I finally called them, after several tries they finally told me that they would not remove the carpet, if they did I would have to pay for taking it up and pay for another carpet.

I am a severely handicapped senior citizen on medication and cannot use my handicap equipment, I cannot go into my bedroom, because it makes me ill. I cannot breath. If I stay any length of time in the room I have an attack. I have slept in that room with carpet for 35 years and I have never experience anything like this. I told them I wanted a non-allegenic carpet. They aasure me that the carpet would not affect my allergies. I wanted a good quality carpet, so I went on and bought the carpet, not knowing that I would be allergic. The carpet is vacuum everyday and I am still getting lint from the carpet, the lint has some littlee crystal like substant it it. The only thing I want them to do is change out the carpet for a lower nap and I was willing to pay for the more expensive carpet. I just want them to keep the price just as it is.

Empire refuses to give me anything in writing, letting me know what decision they have made. Verbally they told me they would not do anything. I asked them to put that in writing, they refuse. I have not heard from them one way or the other.

Here is a chorology of the events I have talked to them:

Installed carpet on Oct 22.
    Got sick could not breath at 11 o’clock PM.
    Went to emergency at 12 midnights on 23.
    Went to the medical doctor 3 times because I was getting sick every time I went in the room. My doctor suggested that I move out of the room.
    Moved out of the room on the Oct 29.
    Called Empire on Nov 4, 5, 6, 24, and 25
    Empire sent someone to look at the carpet on Nov 19.
    Called Money Bank on Dec 1.

Waiting for a solution from Empire. Have not heard from them yet.
    Wrote to BBB waitign for resolution. In the meantime I can not use my handicap equipment.
    I will never recommend any one to Empire Today. They charged me a rediculous price for some carpet I could have gotten from a home interior store and still yet some carpet I could have gotten from Lowes for $2000 cheaper.

Bettye A Lynn

• Re
    RealWorld Mar 11, 2012

So your cat pees on your carpet and you complain to the carpet company? How id that fair? Its not the companies fault.

angwils Jul 03, 2012

Having the same exact issue, but I have no cats for them to blame it on. I have called and called and keep getting told a "manager" will return my call. Still waiting. The room happens to be the bedroom of my asthmatic son. The lack of response is infuriating!

[Resolved] ceramic floor tile

Had Empire install Ceramic tiles in both bathrooms. They were supposed to install a subfloor under each but didn't and lied about it. Now, I have floors that are not the required thickness and as a result, have a tile job that will only last a few years, maybe 5 if i tip toe around the house. To had insult, the installer for Empire, a man from Equador (most likely an illegal), did my kitchen/hallway under the table for cash. He messed that up to with no sublfoor under the tile.
I contacted Empire and they didn't respond. The only responded when I disputed the charge with Wells' Fargo. He swore up and down that the tiles had subfloor (a lie). He didn't install them nor watch its install. I know have to take Empire to court. I am trying to get the installers license number ( I assume he has none), so I have have him arrested and file for funds from unlicen. workers. Empire won't give me his license number. He are NO help, only part of the problem.

• Empire Today's response · Jan 30, 2012

Matt, we’re sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your installation experience. It’s disappointing that you feel you’ve had difficulty in getting your concerns addressed, as we always strive to provide our customers with world-class service. A member of our customer service team will be reaching out to you soon to work towards a resolution. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager.

[Resolved] carpet fuzzing

January i had carpet put in our home, when it was done it looked ok. But the next day when I ran the sweeper the fuzz filled my sweeper so full that my sweeper stopped. I imediately called and they said my carpet needed to rebloom, and to run my sweeper ever day, which i have done since January, and I am still getting the same amount of fuzz. I had a rep. come out and he said it looked good? What is going to happen if I have this much fuzz in a year?I do not know where to turn, I have called Empire Today several times and get the same answer, and yesterday they said they could replace it for $900.00?? We have not even enjoyed this carpet since we had it put in almost a year ago, so what is our option?

• Empire Today's response · Dec 07, 2011

John, we truly apologize for the problems you experienced with your product. We always want our customers to be satisfied and are dedicated to addressing any customer concern post-installation. It’s our understanding that we’ve been in contact with you regarding a resolution and that we’ve scheduled a sales appointment for you tomorrow. If you have any further questions before then, please feel free to email us at [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195. Thank you, Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager.

John Woods Jan 12, 2012

After a year of carpet shedding Empire Today has replaced our carpet with new carpet.
    The installers called before they came and were on time and in 4 hours they had the old carpet up and the new put in.Hopefully everything will work out good with the new carpet.
    Thank you Empire Today for taking care of this situation
    John Woods
    1/12/12

John Woods Jan 13, 2012

Rebekah Clerk
    Thank you so much for your help in getting us new carpet. I am so happy that we were able to resolve this
    situation.
    John Woods

[Resolved] no show for appt

Made an appointment on line and was given a two a hour window. They called three times during the week to...

[Resolved] fraud

In February of last year, we had Empire Today install a frieze carpet in our home at twice the cost of what another competitor was offering. We decided to go with Empire because of their promised service and quality. It is now nearly January, almost a year later, and our carpet is still shedding, significantly shedding. We called Empire, and they sent an independent inspector out to review the carpet and take samples. He observed the shedding, even vacuumed a small section of the floor and observed the vacuum completely fill with the fibers from the carpet. After a week, we received a report in the mail indicating that the shedding is normal and may continue for some time, and that nothing will be done.

In all of my experience with new carpet in my home and relatives homes, I have never seen a carpet shed like our carpet is doing. We have a one year old baby that plays on the carpet, and he has actually learned that he can pull on the carpet and pull up fibers and eat them. This is very disturbing.

I understand that new carpet may shed for up to one to two months, but carpet should not be shedding after nearly a year! The carpet that we purchased was a Beaulieu Coronet in Tempting Gardenia. I would warn anyone thinking of having Empire install carpet in their home, that they do not back up their service claims, and that the carpet I purchased was twice as much as a competitor and of inferior quality. We are going to have to purchase new carpet now to replace the carpet we purchased from Empire. So disappointing. We should have researched Empire prior to our purchase.

• Empire Today's response · Dec 01, 2011

Amanda, we’re sorry to hear about the problems you’ve experienced with your product. We can assure you that we provide only quality, name-brand products and are dedicated to customer satisfaction. We’d like to talk to you to learn more about the issues you've outlined in your post so we may be better able to work towards a resolution with you. Since we don't have your contact information, could you please email it to us at [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 so we may reach out to you and begin working on a solution .Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

[Resolved] regarding empire product warranty.. must read

Empire Today buys their product at a bulk discount from different manufactures. All the packaging is repackaged for them using Empires name on the boxes. The reason for this is Empire gets a better price and in doing this, the manufactures is relieved of any liability and warranty claims for said product. So in essence, you get a product that is made by quickstep but not warranted by them. They use the name brands to sell you the product but Empire is solely responsible to the warranty of the product. Thus why they dodge all warranty claims... They loose money because they have to pay out of their pocket and they don't want that... They never loose!! They use a lot of times second grade product or returns. They resell the garbage to other unsuspecting customers. If you are not on the ball, they will take advantage of you... Word to the wise, always keep a sample of the flooring you are having installed to compare to the product actually being installed. Ask the installer right in front of you to remeasure the floor so you aren't overcharged in sf as they do regularly.. Keep in mind, if they can't blame the installer and charge him back to pay the customer, they will do everything to blame the customer.. Just ask anyone, if they ever received anything for free or a refund from Empire.. If its a scratch issue and within a year, they will pay or fix because they will take it from the installer as the installer signs that he warranties the job for 12 months. After that, forget trying... It's always the installers fault or then the customers fault. NEVER will it be Empire...so many stories.. I can go on and on...
Installer

• Empire Today's response · Nov 11, 2011

We’ve read your post and would like to address your concerns. As a company, we’re committed to good and ethical business practices. As well, we’re dedicated to providing our customers with world-class service and only quality, name-brand products from leading manufacturers. If you’d be willing to speak with us, please send your contact information to [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 and we’ll reach out to you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

[Resolved] won't honor warranty

I purchased laminate flooring from Empire Today less than 5 years ago and was told that the floor carried a 25 year warranty. We paid a good bit for the flooring because we had more than half of our first floor done. Recently I noticed the floor was buckling and warping. I called Empire and this was the start of my nightmare! After my initial call it took over a week for anyone to call me back. I had left no less then 9 messages and also left my cell number for someone to call. When I finally spoke to someone, "Chris" he told me that someone would be out to inspect my floor on the following Monday. The appointment was set for 2pm. I left work early that day to be sure that I would be there. By 4pm no one had showed up. I again called the customer service number and after several transfers I was told that someone would be theree within the half hour. Finally at 5:30 someone showed up. The person that came was an installer and looked at the floor for less than 5 minutes and left. Anothere week passed and I again left several messages all to no avail. About a week and half later Chris left a message on my home phone, even though I had requested that all calls be made to my cell phone and had given that number several times. Chris said that anothere staff person would be calling me to handle my floor issue and left his name and number. Anothere few days goes by and still no call from "Dan", the new person I was to speak with. So again I began to call and again left no less than 7 messages! After more than 6 weeks of getting a run around I finally decided to file a BBB complaint. When I tried to file the complaint I was directed to Empire's Resolution Experts. I was asked to speak with them before I filed a report. I spoke with a very nice and apologetic women from the corporate office and was told that I would get a call within 24 hours. Within 2 hours Dan finally called me! We set up a date for him to come and inspect the floor. Dan did in fact show up on time and was very nice. He took a great deal of time looking at the floor and taking pictures and such. We discussed the damage and possible causes. Prior to Dan leaving I again stressed that I was to be to be contacted on my cell phone and gave the number again. A week later I received a message on my home phone from Dan saying that the damage was basically my fault and that I would have to pay for the repairs! I was told that I had allowed some form of moisture to lay on the floor for more than 30 minutes which caused the damage and thereefore terminated the warranty! This is all impossible since someone is always home and the area that is damaged is in a main walk way with no throw rugs or any othere items to hide any moisture. Had anything been spilled theree it would have been cleaned up immediately because someone would have walked through it! I argued this point with Dan but to no avail. I demanded to speak to someone in "corporate" and to have someone from that office come to my house to inspect the floor. Looking at the damage theree is no doubt that it has been caused by moisture, but considering the area that is damaged there boards themselves must be defective because no form of liquid has ever just pooled on the floor for any length of time to cause the sort of damage that is theree. We are hard working people and take care of the things that we have. We don't expect Empire to give us anything othere than to stand behind the warranty. I don't expect an entirely new floor but I do expect that the boards that are damaged be replaced. I am so disappointed that it has taken more than 7 weeks to try and resolve this matter only to be accused of destroying my own floor!
Stay away from Empire Today by all means!!!

• Empire Today's response · Nov 10, 2011

Patty, we’re sorry for the problems you’ve experienced with your product. We want each and every customer to be happy with the end results in their home and that is why we have been looking into getting this taken care of for your. We did attempt to reach out to you today to provide you an update on the arrival of your new product for repairs. If you could, please call us back at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email us at [email protected] so we may confirm this for you. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Ar
    Arlene Sep 28, 2010

I thought I had done my homework, We had wanted floors put in so we had a few estimates done from staining the cement floors to flooring wood and laminateand even tile. We ended up going with Empire Today laminate flooring. The salemen came in with samples and we asked all of the questions about the floor, about warranty, cleaning of the floors, is the floor scratch resistant and even moisture. He had stated that we use a lamiate floor cleaner and wet towels even some goo-off stuff and other things like that that there would be no problem. That because of there superior moisture resistant coating, there would be no problem. About 8-9 months into having the floors put in I noticed problems, but at the time I was having to take my husband back and forth to doctors and hospitals, so, the flooring wasn't on the top of my list to take care of. Until now and now Empire Today won't honor there 15 year warranty. And after about $10, 000 later we were told that it was our fault we must be flooding our livingroom, or diningroom and our hallwall. The so called independent inspector told Empire Today, that there was to much moisture in the floor and the only conclusion was I wasn't taking care of my floors the proper way and that there must of been a water leak or flooding in the home for that much moisture. I told them they were crazy, my home was in a flood in 97 and I don't even use laminate cleaners I was hoping to avoid this type of issue and look where I am now. But, they stated that after a small fee they would replace the floor. But, if we had not flooded our floor they would replace. So, anyone thinking of using "Empire Today" Stay Away or you will end up like us. If I could help someone avoid this frustration I will. I am going to post this about Empire Today every where I can. I have even called Channel 3 in my area, to see if they can help me in anyway, and also the BBB better business

Business Response. Sep 30, 2010

A member of our customer service team has been in contact with you to offer options for a resolution. Please contact us at 800-588-2300 to assist with all your concerns.

[Resolved] laminate flooring

Watch out and steer clear. Sold a bill of goods from the salesman about durability of their laminate flooring. Worst stuff I have seen. I had to threaten stop payment to get warranty service. Flooring may look great but scratches very easily. The stuff is substandard junk

• Updated by Company Response · Aug 25, 2009

• Updated by Company Response · Dec 07, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. Empire Today has been in contact with this customer and we have come to a resolution.

• Empire Today's response · Mar 12, 2012

We’re disappointed to hear of the problems you experienced during your installation. Your experience is not in line with the high level of customer service that we want all of our customers to enjoy. We’d like to reach out to you and learn more about your experience, but unfortunately we cannot look up your account from the information provided here. Please call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email [email protected] and we’ll follow back with you to work towards a resolution. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Ka
    Kat211 Aug 12, 2009

I had laminate flooring installed by Empire Today. I was happy with the installation which was done quickly and all my furniture was moved and then put back. Shortly after the installation, I noticed some puckers along 2 of the seams. I called and someone came out and checked it and made an appointment to repair it the following week. They never showed up. I sat waiting for 3 1/2 hours. I finally called and they claimed they had no record of the appointment. After much run around and not the nicest treatment, they made me another appointment and told me I would have to pay over $300. This was never told to me by the representative who came to check the repair needed. They proceeded to tell me it was in the contract that I would have to pay. I am completely unhappy with this company and warn otheres to be cautious and ask a lot of questions. Also get names and numbers in case they decide not to show up for scheduled appointments. I will not use them again or recommend them to my friends.

• Ha
    Harriet Wiggs Nov 08, 2009

Shop Anywhere Except Empire Today

I contacted Empire Today online back in July, 2009 to schedule an in-home consultationfor hardwood flooring installation. The sales rep immediately nixed my plan for hardwoods and pushed the idea of laminate flooring because I have 2 small dogs. I was opposed to the laminate flooring but he continued to insist that laminates were recommended for pets and noting that my dogs would destroy the hardwoods. I was never fully in agreement with the laminates but decided to have them installed nonetheless. After installation I noticed how difficult it was for my pets to walk across the room. They continually slipped and slid into the tables, walls and chairs. Initially, it was kind of funny to see them so awkward. How often do you get to see a dog fall on its butt? They couldn't manuever jumping into my lap or onto their favorite chair. Less than a week after installation my Cocker Spaniel ruptures his cherry eye. Three weeks later he needs surgery for a ruptured disc. I contacted Empire after noticing the dogs discomfort trying to walk around the room. I informed Empire that my dogs were not acclimating to the floors and I feared serious injury. I asked Empire to remove the flooring and charge me 15% of the purchase price as I couldn't risk serious injury to my dogs and I really hated the floors. The Easy Living flooring required too much work to keep clean. I find myself mopping 3 to 4 times a day. The floors streak although I use the Swiffer Mop recommended. The floors are by no means easy to care for they are extremely labor intensive. I've talked to local managers and regional managers to no avail. I was contacted by a regional manager who offered me a 15% refund kind of flipping my script. The only problem is I still end up with the floors I hate. I informed the manager I wanted to speak with the company president of VP. Now, Empire has decided that the matter is closed as I refused to accept their refund terms. Empire who received over $5000 from me believes they can make a decision unilaterally. I can't tell you how important it is for you to avoid using Empire. They are unresponsive and the level of greed is undeniable. They want your MONEY and nothing else. Please beware. They do not play fair and their products are inferior. Had the installers not left a box of flooring behind I would not have known that the product that I paid so much for was a made in China item not the exclusive product described by the sales agent. You can go almost anywhere and see the same product for less. Additionally, when I realized I was given and itemized bill, I requested one about 10 minutes after the installation. I was assured the itemized receipt would be mailed out immediately. That never happened although after about 10 phone calls I was informed given the run-around. I thought Empires long record in business made them reputable. The only reputation they've shown me is one of greed, indifference and dishonesty. This is a company that I will never have any dealings with again. They mislead customers and cannot justify the quotes they conjure up.
    Harriet Wiggs
    Charlotte, NC

• Mo
    Momma Hoog Jun 29, 2010

Ok so here is my complaint. I had Empire today install carpeting in my home, buy 1 room get 2 free. I paid for the installation and the other taxes and fees. Within 4 months the carpet was beginning to matte down and would not come up with the vacuum. I called Empire and 2 men came out to look a the carpet wrote down some information and said someone would call us. That was October of 2009. I NEVER received a call back. Well I had just had a baby and the lat thing on my mind was calling them to do their job. Here we are June of 2010, I have 5 minutes to make a call and tell them my story and well no apology for not getting back to me, but the problem will probably get put back on me. They have sent an independent company to come and look at my carpet. 1 of 3 things my happen, it could be faulty carpet and they will replace (yea right), could be faulty install 9yea right), or homeowner screwed it up. That one sounds right. Anyway the rude gentleman on the phone said that I should have had the carpet cleaned at least once a year and that is explained in my care booklet, I NEVER received a care booklet. Well the carpet has only been in 1 year, so I must wait for the independent contractors evaluation. so screwed up. anyway I will keep you posted and see how bad I will get screwed.
    Deanna H
    Lehigh Valley, PA

• Rh
    R HILL Mar 07, 2012

EMPIRE TODAY INSTALLED LAMINATE FLOORING IN OUR BATHS AND KITCHEN. THE WORKMEN PERFORMED POORLY. THE BASEBOARD PIECES WERE NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY NOR CUT PROPERLY TO FIT THE SPACE. THE CUTTING SAW WAS DULL AND NAIL HOLES SHOW ON THE BASEBOARDS. WHEN ASKED TO REPLACE DAMAGED TILES, THE WORKERS REFUSED. THE WORKERS STOPPED WORKING WHEN THE SUPPLIES RAN OUT AND NEVER RETURNED TO COMPLETE THE WORK. I AM AT FAULT FOR MAKING THE FULL PAYMENT FOR INCOMPLETE WORK. WHEN I CONTACTED EMPIRE, I WAS IGNORED.

[Resolved] I already paid them $5,189.25 which was a waste of money

On May 29th 2008 I place two orders with Empire Carpet with sales rep Mr. Phillip Dorminey. Order # 1 (U050173) for $5, 189.25 and Order #2 (U050174) for $1810.75, which was a special order item. Both orders was charged to my American express that was paid in full. Empire's policy for cancellation was within 3days. Order #2 was cancelled the same evening and a full credit was given and put back on my American Express 0f $1, 810.75. The carpet that was installed in 4rooms had problems. They sent repair crews on several different occasion to repair carpets. The sitting room's carpet was so bad the repair rep said that the carpet has to be replaced due to the bad batch of carprt that was installed. I had to reselect a carpet for the sitting room. I did so with another sales rep from Empire nane Reggie. The carpet in the sitting room was installed on June 27th, 2008. This suppose to be a replacement carpet from Order #U050173 that was already paid for, but instead the office mixed up the order numbers and charged my American Express without my permission. I contacted Empire on several occasions to explain them that I have a zero balance and that this is an error and they refuse to credit the $1, 810.75 that they charged for the replacement carpet that was already paid for. I had to file a dispute to American Express to get my money back. Empire Carpets has me in collections and put it on my credit report. I would like consumers to know that Empire has bad customer service and their quality of carpet is not good. i'm still having trouble with their carpet. There are 4 seams in my son's bedroom, when vaccuumed the vaccuum cleaner is full in secs. The quality of carpet is horrible. I would like for Empire to review their paper work and admit to the error and to remove this collection off my credit report!!! I Have a zero balance. I already paid them $5, 189.25 which was a waste of money. I have so many regrets.

• Empire Today's response · Nov 08, 2011

We’ve read the details in your post and are sorry for the issues you’ve experienced with your bathroom. From you post, we understand an inspector came out but you are not happy with the resolution. As a customer, we want you to be happy with the end results and we’d like the chance to speak with you further about everything. Unfortunately, we’re not able to pull up your account with the information provided. If you could, please send it to us at [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

ChurchLeola Oct 03, 2011

my best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here CashLazy.com

• Le
    Lee Pollitt Oct 31, 2011

Call Empire TODAY, if you want carpet that doesn't hold up, wears well unable normal living conditions or looks good even after vacumning ... Call Empire Today !! That should be their new commerical. Horrible company, horrible grade carpeting, horrible customer service.

[Resolved] horrible experience

We used Empire for new carpet a few years ago. First, the sales rep talked me out of the carpet I really wanted, then the carpet I finally chose wasn't available next day...or next week. I ended up having to wait 3 weeks. They sent 2 men who could not speak English or run a straight line, and the carpet down my stairs was installed at an angle! And the free tickets to an amusement park turned out to be "discount" tickets we still had to pay for. Empire refused to fix the mistakes. After looking at this horrible carpet for a few years, I finally went to a local carpet company and they will be replacing Empire's work next week. To this day, I CAN'T STAND the sound of their commercials...they make me so angry.

• Updated by Company Response · Sep 06, 2011

We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with the carpet and installation and would like to reach out to you to discuss further. Unfortunately, we are unable to locate your account with the information presented here. If you’re willing, please send your contact information to [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 ext 4195 and we will contact you to work towards a resolution. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Business Response. Jun 04, 2010

Thank you for bringing your carpet experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our customer service team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at 800-588-2300 so we can assist you.

[Resolved] very inferior carpets

I had new "top of the line" carpets put in with Empire. 2 years later they were in such shocking condition. I...

[Resolved] billing

I had floors installed in my living room and dining room. I was advised, "If you pay it off in a year, no...

warranty

DO NOT BUY FROM EMPIRE CARPET!!! They do NOT stand behind their products and will blame the homeowner for their shoddy workmanship and cheap materials.
My husband and I had carpet installed last year by Empire. We did not order the cheapest carpet and chose a mid-grade plush. We first noticed that the carpet was matting down instantly but thought that it was normal since it had been so many years since we had new carpet. After several months, we noticed a distinct wearing in the "high" traffic areas (Note - it is only the two of us - no pets, no children and neither of us wear shoes in the house). After almost a year, we realized the amount of matting and wear was not normal because the carpet looked as bad as our 17 year old carpet we had just replaced.
We called Empire and they sent an inspector who could barely speak English and did not know how to operate my vacuum cleaner. He said that he only took pictures and agreed with me that the carpet looked unusually worn. A week later I received the inspection report in the mail and was surprised to find that Empire blamed the matting of the carpet on my new $500 Dyson vacuum. Their reasoning was that the beater brush barely touched the carpet. The inspector said we had incorrectly maintained the carpet. Since when is regular vacuuming with a high quality vacuum cleaner "improper maintenance"? In addition the inspector lied to me when he said he did not make the decision, and he also neglected to mention the seams that were showing in every room which I had also complained about in his report.

I tried calling the Chicago office to contest the report and they said I could hire my own inspector and if he found a defect, they would reimburse me. Yeah...right. How about if instead I just deal with my cheap crappy carpet and tell the world what a crummy company Empire is? Buyer BEWARE!!!

• Et
    ET Customer Care Jul 27, 2011

I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve experienced. It’s always our goal for you to be satisfied with your new home and we’d like to continue working with you to come to a mutually agreed upon resolution. However, without your contact information, we’re not able to look up your account. If you could, please email it to [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 so we can look into this further and have a member of our customer service team follow back with you. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Le
    Lee Pollitt Oct 31, 2011

I HATE Empire Carpet, I got ripped off by them also. A bunch of crooks. I get a little satification warning all my friends and anyone who will listen never to even consider calling Empire today... or any day. I had a friend who had an appointment with Empire and called me and asked if I ever heard anything bad about them... boy did I fill her in... she cancelled her appointment. She's been to my house and has seen my disgusting, horrible carpet.

nocorpman1 Mar 24, 2012

I was now able to convince 2 people who wanted to call Empire not to call. There sales people maybe worst sales reps out there.

• De
    DeRb Dec 12, 2016

Yes, they do deny if a Dyson is used because it lacks a roller brush. But don't fret. Even if they run out of excuses to deny claims, the underpinning manufacture will deny them without cause anyway -- even if you are using an "approved" vacuum at the right settings and have all the cleaning records.

late delivery

On July 2, we ordered carpet (salesman Marty). We were to have the carpet installed after the holiday. It was scheduled for the following Wed. We then received a call asking us to move the installation to Fri for a discount of $50. We agreed. We are not naive -- we know Empire is expensive, but we *thought* we were buying convenience. We couldn't have been more wrong. On Fri, we received an afternoon call. Installers would be arriving at 8:30 pm to do our stairs and hallway. I objected, as their advertised hours end at 6, and we are parents of young children. The woman on the phone told me that a manager would have to approve a reschedule -- the same hard sell as the initial sale. I should have cancelled then, but they had our money. I called corporate, who informed me that the customer can refuse such a late installation, no manager necessary. We scheduled for Monday -- first thing! we were promised, since we'd already been twice delayed -- and Sat wouldn't work since we were celebrating the return of a serviceman family member. On Monday, no call, so we called Empire. There was supposedly no note that we were to be first, only that we had "refused" service on Sat, and installers would be coming "shortly." I should have cancelled then. After many, many more rounds of phone calls, we were told that installers would be here "second", and we were given another discount ($150) for our trouble (assuming the charge-back has been completed). Installers arrived at 5:30, with our carpet in the back of a U-Haul. Another point at which I should have refused. As they worked into the night, I asked if they received overtime. They did not, but were just "happy to have work." (From now on I insist on knowing how employees are paid if I am to work with a business). Corporate did not return our calls regarding the late hour, which they had promised would be avoided. They finished after 10 pm. I signed the completion paperwork around 10:30 pm. At that time it looked . . . done, and that was a relief. On Tuesday Ms.Snell called in response to our online complaint, and added another $100 discount for our continued frustration into the evening on Monday. At that point I wouldn't have recommended Empire -- it was expensive and inconvenient, and the work was not terrific -- but it was over . . . Until I sat down today to take off shoes tonight, and discovered that, six days after installation, there is a hole on the rise of one of the steps. I know BBB works for companies rather than customers, but I have submitted a complaint to the Illinois office nonetheless in the hopes that my voice will be heard. I have lost all confidence in Empire's ability to resolve this issue in a timely and competent manner, and will only be satisfied by refund. Too much of my valuable time has been wasted already.

Business Response. Jul 21, 2011

Alison, I’m sorry for the issues you’ve had with your product and for your experience. As a customer, we want you to be happy with your new home and your satisfaction is very important to us. It’s my understanding that we did reach out to you today and have been able to come to mutually agreed upon resolution together. However, we’re always here to help and if you have any questions or concerns now or in the future, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 888-588-2315 x4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Bunama Jul 22, 2011

Update: We have reached an agreement today, and we thank Empire for working with us to resolve this matter.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices