Economy Car Rentalsbreach of contract - deposit paid but no car

On the 3rd of March 2017, I paid a deposit on a car for pick up at Honolulu Airport on the 4th of April 2017.

My booking and deposit were paid to Economy Car Rentals but my e-voucher 3007392 lists Europcar as the “car rental provider”.

I went to the airport desk at arrivals, as indicated in my rental agreement but there was no one there to meet me. The guy behind the desk didn’t know about Europcar Rent a Car but he said that there is a shuttle for Economy. He showed me the way to the shuttle pick up point. I asked him to please inform anyone looking for me at the desk that I was outside at the shuttle pick up point.

After picking up our luggage, my wife and I proceeded to the shuttle pick up point to wait for the Economy Car Rental shuttle. We got to the shuttle pick up point at about 22h00. This was our first visit to Hawaii and we had been travelling for 19 hours out of London.

After waiting for about half an hour without sight of the Economy Car Rental shuttle, I went into the airport to phone the number on my rental e-Voucher [protected]). There was no one manning the phone and it went through to an automated system asking me to input the telephone number for a call back. I keyed in the telephone number of the public phone that I was calling from but it did not accept it.

I asked three shuttle drivers (from other car rental companies) whether they had any idea when the Economy Car Rental or Europcar shuttle would come by and the answer was the same: “there is no Europcar in Honolulu”. What about Economy Car Rental? – “Yes there is an Economy shuttle but they closed at 9pm”.

I realised that there would be no shuttle and that I had been scammed.

On the 24th of June 2017, I e-mailed Economy Car Rental.

I am still waiting for a reply.

The reason for this post is as a result of Economy Car Rental’s lack of response.

breach of contract - deposit paid but no car