Menu
Home Online Shopping eBay very poor customer service and support

eBay  - very poor customer service and support

V
Author of the complaint
12:36 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This complaint is concerning a lack of responsiveness of eBay to a customer and very poor support.

On December 28, 2017, after taking over ONE hour for a support person to take care of what turned out to be a simple ordering problem, I lost an opportunity to get a discount because the deadline to take advantage of it ended. As a result of the loss of the discount and the very poor service from the support person, I e-mailed them. All I ever received was an automated response. A copy of it is below:

Thank you for writing to eBay Customer Support.

Your question is very important to us and will be treated with our full attention. We understand the need to get your question answered quickly, and in most circumstances we do so within 24 to 36 hours. However, there may be times when it will take up to 72 hours for you to receive a response. To speed up the process, we ask that you do not send in multiple messages about the same issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not respond to this email. Any email sent as a response to this Acknowledgement will not reach us. Should you have another question or would like to send us additional information, please contact us by using our online Contact Customer Support page found at:

We appreciate your patience,

eBay Customer Support

Sounds nice doesn't it? Well, what they said (or actually wrote) is false. Because there was no response to actually resolve the problem, I e-mailed them again after the 72 hours had passed. There still was no response except for the automated response listed above.

After 72 hours elapsed, I decided I would try to call them. That was just a futile exercise. I would get the same man everytime and he wouldn't really listen to me and just transfer me to a line where there was a recording. At one point of time he told me basically that going online and communicating that way was actually speach. Speach? I had enough of typing messages back and forth and wanted to actually speak to someone!

So far, there has been NO response from eBay to resolve my concerns. They obviously are in effect saying---"WE DON"T REALLY CARE."

Feb 02, 2007 12:00 am

I had an account with ebay for 4 years. From 2017 until 2017 I never had a problem with purchasing anything from ebay. When I decided to sell in 2017 thats when I begun to have problems .

Someone decided to keep bidding on my items and not paying for them. Ebay gave me a bunch of bullcrap steps to prevent this from happening but of course none of it worked. I forwarded all the emails and messages the person sent me, ebay agreed that it was the same person who was repeatedly bidding and not paying but refused to help me. I stopped using ebay (with a feedback score of 100% mind you) and of course they suspended my account for non payment of seller fees.

Now a year and a half later, they suspend my sisters account for association (How they knew we were associated is beyond me, but this happened the DAY AFTER someone flagged the sale of one of her items and ebay just canceled the auction. Without giving her the reason why of course. Probably harassment from the same person who was harassing me.). She also has 100% feedback. We don't even live in the same STATE, never mind the same household and haven't for years before we started using ebay (And when we lived in the same state we STILL NEVER lived in the same household). We have offered to send physical proof to show that we are not the same person, to add to the proof that they should ALREADY have on file (bank account information, addresses in different states, names ect.) and all they say is I understand your frustration but theres nothing we can do to help you.

How they are legally allowed to hold someone responsible for someone else's doings is beyond my comprehension. I mean really if my neighbor that I have lunch with every day shoots someone down the block can the cops arrest me because I eat with him everyday? Or if my sister owed $10,000 to her credit card company and I used her card once 5 yrs ago are they allowed to sue ME for her bill? Of course not.
While I know that these 2 things seem like harsh comparisons, for people who have given up their jobs, their entire LIVES, to sell on ebay and have had such illegal whims pushed upon them and have lost everything, its not.

And you know what else? Half of their "Rules" aren't even in the user agreement, nor can they be found in search. Even the customer service rep couldn't find associations ANYWHERE in the user agreement. What, they get to make up the rules as they go along? They are allowed to wake up on the wrong side of the bed today and just STEAL peoples money and ruin their lives, or just close your account for the fun of it and don't need a legitimate reason?

Maybe we should all band together and start a class action suit against the spoiled, greedy, uncaring machine that is ebay for having unclear rules and regulations and misrepresentation of their site. Maybe if we all start going to the news people like Help Me Howard or writing to people like Montel some of us can get some justice and at the least, prevent it from happening to others.

Apr 22, 2008 1:08 am

eBay is about to start penalizing all Sellers... and making you a 2nd class citizen...

How? Allowing ONLY Buyers to leave a Negative feedback... for anything at all their little heart desires... eBay has been dredging for new Buyers to boost their stock prices, and they don't give a tinker's *** about Sellers at all anymore...

Bad check? Seller can't complain - gets screwed... Late pay? Seller's screwed... Wrong form of payment? Seller is screwed... Delays? You're screwed... ANYTHING a Buyer wants to *** about - Seller has NO ammunition anymore... The Seller can NOT leave Negative feedbacks!

NO MATTER WHAT the Buyer does, ONLY the Buyer is allowed to leave Negatives. And any Seller who gets a Negative? Has to beg the ###s-that-be at eBay to pretty please take away the bad bad feedback...

To make things worse, it doesn't matter that eBay is FAILING THEIR SELLER / CUSTOMERS by failing to forward messages to their e-mails! The Msg system that's supposed to eliminate problems now CREATES them because reminders are disappearing into the ether somewhere... and eBay doesn't give a rat's ***...

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, eBay's PAYPAL affiliate is failing Sellers, too ! When you SHIP something, you put in the USPS tracking info for the Buyer to read, too. But guess what?

PayPal's link to USPS has NOT FUNCTIONED AT ALL for at least 2 months, and nothing has been done to correct it despite repeated reports...

So what does the Buyer see on PayPal when they click on the link to see where their item is? NO RECORD OF THIS ITEM (even though it has been shipped, scanned and may even already have been delivered!)

And guess what else? Now they file a complaint, and then you get a NEGATIVE Feedback on eBay...

And then eBay restricts or closes your account ! WHO'S TO BLAME? eBay themselves...

But YOU - MR. SELLER - the same one who works to build eBay's system, pays extra to maintain Stores, takes 2ND BILLING on your items, who patiently deals with every lowlife buyer sucked in by eBay promotions - YOU get billed, YOU get slapped, Your Feedback is hammered - You're SCREWED...

May 06, 2008 5:12 am

Is it just me or has the number of bid withdrawals or cancellations increased lately. In 1 month I have had 5 sellers screw me. How? Bid on items or buy it now and the sellers either cancel them or just don't answer my questions to get a correct invoice so I can pay. Have made official complaints to Ebay and they are allowing this. Two of the sellers re-listed the items with a higher price. Are you kidding me? I buy a lot and I mean a lot from Ebay but this is getting ridiculous. I am sick of this. Are there any other great auctions sites out there with great prices like Ebays? Good luck if you stay with them.

Sep 01, 2008 1:51 am

Ebay is a unreliable company that does not back their products instead they pass the buck you will not get you’re money back and they will not send you you’re product instead you get sorry we cant help your money is lost then they tell you if you would like to get your money back you can do the leg work your self like you want to do this when you already contacted them in the first place when you try to contact the people that ebay is working with they cant find the order or your email you don’t exist contact ebay back they still say sorry so your money is gone this gives you a felling that you have just been ripped off.

May 15, 2008 7:40 am

I have been an ebay member going on 9 years with over 3000 feedbacks, a 99.6% rating. My products consisted of custom decals. About 4 weeks ago I get this notice from ebay that my account is suspended due to using the name 'FORD' as one of my keywords and that they shut all my auctions down.

Well, those auctions that they claimed that they shut down had already expired 1 month prior to this. I may have had 1-3 auctions running at this time for some products not even associated with the products I had been selling. I guess you can't use the name 'FORD' as a keyword unless you are selling a product specifically for that manufactures equipment or something like that.

I email ebay and ask them why, after 4 weeks after the auctions have expired is my account shut down. I don't get an honest answer only that I need to send in some personal information after the 7 day suspension period and they will determine if my account will be re-instated or not.

What's frustrating about this is I know of another ebay member selling almost the identical products I use to and are getting by with using the word 'FORD' as one of their keywords, but they are a power seller so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know. Anyway, I started turning this other members auctions into ebay thru the proper channels using eBay’s official complaint forms and I did get responses from ebay that they received my emails.

I later get emails back from ebay stating they (ebay) do not see anything improper with the other members auctions and they let them continue to sell to this day. I continued on a daily basis reporting these auctions to ebay and continue to get the same response from ebay.

In my opinion, this is total discrimination against me. Why is it I get my account shut down, with no warning, even after the auctions have expired 4 weeks prior, yet this other member continues to be allowed to sell on ebay using 'FORD' as a keyword.

The members products who is allowed to continue selling on ebay, are in no way associated with a 'FORD' manufactured product, they just use the word 'FORD' as a keyword to attract customers, basically the same thing I USE to do.

Aug 27, 2008 9:04 am

I've tried for 2 weeks to resolve a problem, ripoffs by sellers on ebay, customer support is nonexistent. I contacted 3 times, I bought a cd that was supposed to have software, it was blank. I paid $15.94.

Oct 13, 2008 11:40 am

eBay, the multimillion dollar giant that has been king of the online shopping world could be in trouble. A company that not so long ago began in someones living room and become this GIANT eating up a good portion of the online shopping word by acquiring many, many companies including Paypal being their biggest jewel.

They have forgotten their roots and what made them so successful, their sellers. The sellers that have been paying them for many years, millions of dollars in fees, and now eBay decided to CONTROL the entire playing field forcing longtime sellers to vacate. As they merged with buy.com and bought out other online players for fear of competition, they decided they wanted to be more like Amazon and start selling like an online Walmart rather than the auction site that buyers and sellers alike grew to love over the years. Well there’s no love anymore. eBay has become like a small government, a bad government. Hated by the world and most Americans (sort of like Washington). When John Donahoe took charge of the company this past year, the changes began. Sellers and buyers have been jumping ship like its on fire. It’s not a good place to do business anymore.

Apr 13, 2008 12:57 pm

I recently contacted a "Power Seller" after I had not received a $175. crystal wall light after 3 weeks and no communication. The Seller e-mailed me that the item was back-ordered for 2 months. I replied that I could not wait for 2 months and asked to cancel the sale.

Rather than complete a mutual withdrawal, this Seller refunded my payment, marked the "Pay Now" button (indicating that I had never paid for the item), then opened a non-payment, mutual withdraw Dispute. Why? To avoid Negative Feedback and possible Seller suspension when he could not produce the item which had been paid for!

I was unable to leave (negative) feedback because the item shows (dishonestly, that no payment was made).

I filed a Dispute for Non-receipt of item in which there was a reference to the payment transaction number.

Jun 03, 2016 8:10 am

I sell motorcycles, parts and accessories on ebay. It seems every time the fees are different. I sold a 15k bike and it cost 54.00 I sold a 511.00 bike and it cost me142.00? It is so hard to get them to fix your problems. plus I have had 2 sales that winning bidder didn’t pay for 20k I am going to use another site when its up and running its called power-bay.net and power-bay.com they are going to only do power sport stuff. It an online power sport auction with fixed fees. I can’t wait. I hear goggle or yahoo is trying to buy the site and also ebay. Guess they don’t want a site that’s better than there’s!

Helpful? 0 0
123 comments
Apr 20, 2021 12:36 am

Today we got an email response to a complaint we sent to Ebay's customer service. We told them we'd been asked to contact a certain department, but were disconnected via the Ebay agent (Chat) and couldn't find out how to contact that department. Subsequently, Ebay removed the chat feature from our Ebay Help pages. So we could only send them an email.

Not only did Ebay NOT help us with the issue, they mistakenly sent us (the buyers) the email intended for the seller. The email reassures the seller that Ebay has removed the buyer's comments to preserve the seller's positive ratings. However you feel about the Ebay buyers/sellers relationship, you ought to recognize that censoring negative reviews (that can be verified as accurate) is an obvious INvalidation of a review system. Besides having an anemic and untrustworthy review system, Ebay employs customer service agents who, at least some, won't respond to repeated attempts for help, purposely limit how you can contact them (removing the chat function & requiring you to email them and HOPE you get a reply), and may send an email reply TO THE WRONG PARTY/EMAIL ADDRESS.

Our family is done shopping on Ebay.

M
Feb 09, 2012 12:36 am

I've been a member of Ebay since 1999. A few months ago I sold a Autograph card on ebay. customer sends me message through EBAY saying he no longer wants the card. I ok'ed it. Later that week he gives me a negative feedback. Why, I still dont know. Now I have over 1100 positive feedbacks under 10 negatives. My seller performance has not moved in months and I'm limited to want I can sell on Ebay (14 items a month lol )for these months. OK he has -1 feedbacks and I have 1100 feedback and EBAY still took his side unbelievable. This is how they treat customers of over 10 years like I'm on punishment. Thanks for the Loyalty.

Jan 01, 2014 12:36 am

I cant believe it i search the web waste all day looking for a birthday presant for my son every time i find a jacket i like it puts me through to this is frustrating and out of order why should they use so many sites and i cant even register i tried befor they wanted me to have pay pal they toke two payments and i still wasnt registered then when i try again it says my information is incorrect i hate ebay ruined my day

G
Nov 07, 2014 12:36 am

I've been selling on ebay for years and this month I got hit with $12.25 in extra "fees" from the company. I called the customer service, yes I actually got through, and the ### on the phone would not listen to me. He just kept repeating some pre-written sentence that had nothing to do with what I was saying. I ALWAYS make sure not to sign up for the extra options and insertion fees. But the hit me with 2 months worth of bogus fees out of no where. I make sure at the very end before I post anything that it says "$.00" in fees. I guess ebay isn't happy enough with the 10% commission that they have to add in fake fees after you sell something. I am closing my account and NEVER using Ebay again.

Nov 16, 2014 12:36 am

I had the same experience, it seems EBAY transfers you to a call center in the Philippines where you are greeted by robotic customer service reps that constantly repeat what they had to say without listening to what I was stating. 50 minutes to resolve what could have been resolved in 5 minutes had the rep listened to what was being asked instead of being argumentative and repetitive in what she was saying. They are worse than the nastiest bill collectors and they have already been paid. The worst customer service experience I have ever gone through. Bring those jobs back to the U.S. where customer service is held at a higher standard!

D
Jul 21, 2010 12:36 am

Removal of items (large household furniture) from listing without prior notice - due to mis-interpretation of wording used to notify buyers that items were advertised elsewhere and if no bids were placed. Than I would remove that item from sale due to receiving an acceptable offer from a buyer through the other advertisements. An unprofessional approach to dealing with clients. This has caused considerable stress and increased costs in disposing of the items concerned, as they will now have to be transported and placed in storage. This will make selling them in the future much more difficult in trying to show potential clients items in storage.
Technology is great, but you still need to talk to another person to explain your situation and to come to a satisfactory resolution for all concerned. CUSTOMER SERVICE is paramount to maintaining repeat business. The www has an enormous client base, however if you continue to "piss" them all off - soon you will have no clients.

Aug 24, 2010 12:36 am

never even consider buying the last item somebody on ebay has to sell----cause that's when they'll rip you off, cause they have nothing to lose in getting bad marks from ebay.

i bought something from one seller with a 90 some percent good rating----this seller's rating now down to 50 something, all because the seller ran out of stuff to sell and decided, seemingly, to keep the money for the last items.

i didn't learn from this mistake; i bought something from somebody on ebay about 50 miles from me...no response yet; see if i get ripped off, since this is the last item this seller has for sale, and has been on ebay for sale for awhile.

and walmart visa and mastercard gift cards don't give refunds----don't let them or ebay/verizon con you otherwise.

Sep 29, 2010 12:36 am

Over the years I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from eBay sellers. It goes without saying that there will be, at the very least a few of them that will get a negative for normal reasons. Such as forgetting to ship an item paid for immediately or never shipping it, selling me a used and worn item described as New In Box, or just flat out not answering the phone or email regarding my purchase.

The problem is……eBay hires buyers to purchase merchandise listed on eBay for the sole purpose of doling out retribution.

I received a negative from one of eBay’s behind the scenes buyers. eBay thinks they are God-like and feels free to punish whomever they decide needs to be taught a lesson. Anyway this buyer left me a negative before he got home to open the package so I contacted the idiot (get a real job) via the Feedback Withdraw Form but he refused a full refund and said I deserved a negative. He lied about the product which was brand new and perfect and he had not yet received the package so how could there be something wrong with an item he did not have yet?
I called eBay to try and resolve this because I was sick of the canned responses from their contact site. “We sorry can’t help.” or “What do you mean we don’t understand.” I left feedback for him warning all others of his lie. Well the eBay officials removed my feedback from his forum. Protecting their own might need to use him again. I have turned this incident over to an attorney that specializes in eBay lawsuits with all the correspondence, item tracking number receipt dates, his name, email, address, etc. Will sell on Craig’s List from now on.

0 0

L had over 20 (twenty) ads running on ebay with over 40 photos. When their time limit expired (30 days), l ran them a second time using the exact same photos. Nothing changed. L suddenly received an email from ebay stating that all my photos are "not the right size" and l must change all of them or my ads will not run again. Suddenly all of these 40 plus photos are not the "right size" after running for an extended period on their site? Lt would take me several hours to alter all the photos in all my ads. Are they complete idiots on ebay? They refused to run my ads again and after numerous calls and emails to them, they never contacted me to discuss this ridiculous situation. Ebay should be thankful for their sellers and not treat them like fools! Leaving ebay is no hardship for me. The truth is 98 percent of my sales comes from amazon and only 2 percent comes from ebay. Needless to say, spending hours altering my photos for ebay would be a complete waste of my time and energy. Lf they had any common sense they would try to keep their sellers and not drive them away.

Sep 08, 2015 12:36 am

Ever try to alert ebay of a shady seller or poor practice? Good Luck. I usually call on phone to be able to fully explain details in case they try to throw you some off the wall questions that would cause a great deal of back and forth emails... Once you make contact, you normally get some quick talking curry eater that could care less. They allow some sellers to hide or not disclose hidden fees. Car dealers in general. If any seller has a fee on top of a sale price - it should be spelled out - no surprises. But ebay allows car dealers free reign on such practices. Also if you have a general merchandise seller who advertises items that are bought on Buy It Now, then never delivered, then later refunded, ebay doesn't seem to mind either. Its a scam of using your money for a couple of weeks or so. At no interest... For sure, the quality and oversight are degrading daily, and they are becoming the new Craigslist of the World...

Mar 02, 2012 12:36 am

From 2017 to 2017 I decided to join eBay to sell some items. At first all was fair and I did earn some income. However as I post each item for sale the fee for eBay Listing fee continue to increase. After much consideration I decided to leave in March 2017. They responded by telling me I must pay outstanding listing fee. I responded since the last item I had posted with them did not sell I should not be charged for listing fee. They said the listing fee is nonrefundable. I disagree. I want them to waive the fee and close the account. They refused to comply with my request. Instead they started charging penalty fees for lack of payment and suspended my membership and account. I responded expressing my bitterness to their lack of cooperation. I want them to drop the charges and resolve this matter to my satisfaction. This company is trying to legally rob me. This is not acceptable nor tolerable.

Jan 06, 2013 12:36 am

I bought a vacuum cleaner (new) through eBay and received wrong model. Seller agreed I return it and I did. Seller then shipped a very used and damaged correct model. eBay refused to do anything about it. My credit card company and seller forced PalPal (Owned by eBay) to correct mistakes. eBay's buyer warranty is worthless in my opinion. Always have YOUR credit card company between you and eBay.

View 0 more photos
K
Oct 29, 2013 12:36 am

when you shop on ebay.com, you are offered buyer protection for your purchases so that you can feel assured that the product you are buying is as described in listing or you get your money refunded plus original shipping. I purchased a purse that was described as like new in the listing and it came with major faded marks on the material of the purse and i opened a buyer protection case on ebay. well, they decided case in my favor and told me to mail it back and once it was delivered, i would be refunded. i shipped back with tracking and a day before it was delivered to seller, ebay suspended my account for unknown reasons. the buyer protection case was closed and i was told i wouldnt be refunded. that is not right. i was told to mail back and assured i'd be refunded, yet they went back on this after i had shipped item back? that is just wrong. i was eligible for buyer protection on this item and ebay is wrong for this. how can they charge me for an item i do not have anymore? they told me to return it! and now seller has item back and my money also! this is not right! can anyone give me any advise on this? it was charged to billmelater through paypal. [email protected]

Mar 04, 2009 12:36 am

eBay operates a marketplace that is wild west like Buyer Beware. They eBay company erects BS rules and alleged arbitration systems but beneath it all eBay is BUYER BEWARE. The only protection or security eBay provides is for its PowerSellers above the Gold level.

The online community forums are a sham. The forums are dominated by mostly low-life sellers who give snooty replies to sincere questions from honest sellers and buyers.

My friends and I suspect, based on the insane rulings and replies many people get from eBay and eBay-Paypal arbitration that arbitration is operated by an Artificial Intelligence Engine, which is why people are advised to submit very short explainations. The more data (words) input into the best human speech AI engines the less the AI can generate an intelligent response. We suspect the engine is loaded in favor of the bigger Power Sellers. The rank itself is a fraud. Clearly, buyers are supposed to think "Power Seller" is an award eBay grants to honest, good service sellers. In fact, the rank has nothing to do with buyers. It is an eBay reward for sellers who generate a lot of fees for eBAY AND EbAY -Paypal.

We still do a lot of buying on eBay. I worked out a near perfect system for buying safely. Rule number one. Do not waste precious time and head banging with eBay or eBay-Paypal arbitration. Usually, buyers lose, you never get any shipping returned & you get a negative as punishment from the scam seller for bothering to arbitrate.

Rule two. ONLY buy with Paypal and link Paypal only to a credit card. Paypal is big but it is no way as big or powerful as your credit card company. When you have been cheated or failed to get fair play, simply email the seller. After the seller either ignores your emails or gives you a stupid response, call you credit card company and ask for a CHARGE BACK. In most cases they will do an immediately charge back of THE ENTIRE AMONG, including shipping.

It gets better. Paypal then charges a nice fee from the seller for 1. your complaint & 2. for the service of taking the money back and returning it to your charge card!

Next, never buy from a Powerseller with a high positive feedback without inputting his name into toolhaus. You will often be surprised at the many negatives and neutrals toolhaus will find that eBay is hiding from buyers.

Try to buy from sellers with a few hundred feedback who have a 100% positive. They value their high rating an want to keep it. Scammers prey on that and honest buyers are protected by it.

Finally, the eBay forums are a bad joke. They are monitored by censors ebay falsely calls "moderators"

Mar 26, 2009 12:36 am

sold a phone on ebay but was never payed for it.reported it to ebay and they said the member would be suspended.then they said he wasnt a member anymore then they said he wasnt even a member.they couldnt make up there mind and just wanted to cover there backs.ive lost £227.ive emailed e bay and just get lies of them.they wont pay for the phone and just dont care.now i have to look at taking them to court, my advice is stay to hell away from ebay as there is a good chance your get ripped off aswell and they dont care because they will keep on going untill something is done about them.

Sep 27, 2010 12:36 am

I can not take ebay's ever decreasing customer service! I've been trying to comtact ebay for a week about items I've won. I've wrote the seller who had promissed me a combined shipping total and to this day has not responed or fixed the total ending price. Today I waited on the live web chat to emay since 3pm and was almost to the end of the waiting list I was number 2, then I got kicked off! I waited till 5:45pm! All that for nothing! I wish ebay was more like paypal. PAypal is so on top of everything they actually have a customer service number that works for help! Also they actually take care of problems unlike ebay, which is so going down hill. I'm ready to never use ebay again, which I'm a buyer and seller. There is plenty of new sites to buy things and i'm giving them my bsuness i had enought with ebay and their poor service.

Jan 26, 2011 12:36 am

It seems as though the ebay site has changed for the new year. in the past when you clicked on print shipping label you were taken to paypal which has a good interface i am used to and if your label didn't print you could void and not be charged. now going through the same procedures i have been in the past i am now charged by ebay before printing label. i never attempted to print and voided the transaction within 20 seconds. now after chatting with an ebay rep i am told i must wait upto 15 days for refund. this totally ***.

J
Apr 04, 2011 12:36 am

I got scammed 3 days ago and this person from Singapore is now unregistered on Ebay. She sold a ps3 for $78. I just want a refund and want to talk to a representative. Ebay emailed me the first one saying, "We're writing to let you know that this listing for an item you won or bid on is no longer available:

[protected] - sony 120GB playstation ps3 system console

We understand this may be disappointing, but occasionally we need to remove listings. In some cases, the item itself is fine, but was listed in a way that didn't follow eBay's guidelines.

Here's what you can do next:

-- If you already paid, received your item, and you're satisfied, please disregard this notice.
-- If you won the item but haven't paid, don't pay. Since eBay removed the listing, you're no longer obligated to go through with the transaction.
-- If you already paid for this item through eBay, and it's past the estimated delivery time, you can open a case in our Resolution Center. Click the link below, and select the "I haven't received it yet" option. This will guide you through the process of opening a case.

Oct 18, 2011 12:36 am

we have been selling on ebay for about 6 years and every year they are getting more and more greedy...for them it's all about $$ they believe the buyer before the seller...needless to say there would be no buyer without a seller or the other way arround. Ebay started with fees like 2-3% now it's almost 10% and they do charge you a fee for shipping...what a joke. so I did some shopping arround and found www.webstore.com ...no fees for sellers or buyers...check it out, they are not known as ebay but about 14 years ago nobody heard about ebay...so lets give ebay the run for their money and start posting on www.webstore.com...

L

Ebay only protects the buyer not the seller.Although I do not have that many transactions most of them have been a total headache.In one instance the post office lost a package( priority mail w delivery confirm)and the buyer did nothing to help.i had to call constantly until it was found a month later in another state.The buyer was unhelpful because she was protected I wasnt.Then i had a complaint about an item that cost 5.99 and I described the item as having problems( it was a designer sweater) the buyer won the case and though ebay agreed that she had sent a threatening extortionist email to me they did nothing.It really is only for buyers forget about anything if you are selling you are on your own basically .This buyer with the 5.99 sweater waited over 4 days to pay and once again ebay did nothing.Years ago I had an ebay account where I only bought for the most part and it was before these buyer protection policies were in place and I was never reimbursed for broken items( and I got a least 3 ).Ebay is not fun it is a lot of work and I have had so much go wrong that it is just a pain and not an enjoyable experience.i have tried Etsy and they seem gentler and nicer but they only take vintage or homemade so if i ever want to sell online again after I close my ebay account I will find another site.

T
Nov 03, 2012 12:36 am

Writing to mention that if you are a seller on Ebay Be aware that the protection service has no intention of helping you out when a buyer wants to create a problem or tries to scam you out of your item and money -
Sold a Great used smart phone to a buyer 9 days ago after tring to help the buyer with an issue he said he had with the (tested and working phone) a case was started, i as seller deciedide to give the full refund if the item was returned to me per Ebays protection options (could possibly resale the phone to some other buyer) - have not had any response from the buyer to me or Ebay since this case opening, I escalated the case on 11-1-12 because customer service said to to get some thing done or else it would be over 45 days to close the case (they have the money for the phone held in paypal), took resolution center less then 24 hours to decide in the buyers favor - now im told the buyer has 10 more days to respond and could still get a refund for an item i may never see again - may have to apeal the case after all this to get anything done - ALL I CAN SAY IS SELLERS BEWARE

Oct 18, 2014 12:36 am

So, I ordered this toy gun on ebay and it cost me 29.30 or 80 at the end of the 29 dollars. I haven't got a repose from the seller, I've contacted him about the item to send me the tracking number and it still has not responding to me and the item hasn't even been shipped I don't think. This item comes from hong kong China and I live in Idaho in the USA. I want to know if my item will be there before halloween cause that is what I bought it for.

C
Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

Terrible, terrible, terrible.

I was forced to spend a full HOUR on the telephone with eBay's so-called "customer support" staff, all of whom had suspiciously middle-eastern-sounding accents, and had no problem leaving me on hold for ridiculous lengths of time.

I found the "support staff" to be highly incompetent at using both their phones and computers. I was told several times that the representative was taking so long to find an answer to my question because of 'technical difficulties' using his computer, and was actually disconnected after waiting on 'Hold' for nearly half an hour at one point.

When I called back a second time, I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor immediately, and was AGAIN put on 'Hold' for an in ordinate length of time. When the so-called manager finally came to the line, she (an Indian-sounding woman named "Joe, " if you can believe such a thing, ) proved useless when she promised to email me "an online COUPON for 10% off to show consideration..." which I have yet to receive, more than 4 hours later.

The frustration from being asked to wait "three to four minutes at most" on Hold, and then continually re-placed on Hold for what turned out to be an hour, with NO satisfactory results, was an unacceptable experience by American Business standards. It is clear that eBay's "customer support" team believes they can allow people to hold until the following business day in hopes the caller will simply hang up.

Perhaps in the country where these people are running their call-center they feel this is acceptable. I found it to be highly inconsiderate and insulting.

This was a most unfortunate experience.

Mar 11, 2013 12:36 am

Ebay Seller karolina( 2213) [email protected]

Ebay seller karolina Buyers beware of merchant charge higher shipping cost..
Complaint Rating:

Ebay Seller karolina( 2213)[email protected]

Seattle, Washington
United State

Ebay seller karolina Buyers beware of merchant charge higher shipping cost..

Complaint Rating:

as advertise on nthe site.
I had bough a TECHNICS DIGITAL AUDIO PROCESSOR SV-100 *MINT COMPLETE* PCM BASED
From Business information
Contact E-Mail: [email protected]

This email confirms that you have paid Karol Hansen ([email protected]) $140.45 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *KAROLINACIT".

Now that you've completed your payment, sign up for a free PayPal account by clicking Sign Up Now below. You'll be able to check out faster next time and track your payment history for all of the items you purchase on eBay.

Payment Details

Purchased From:
Receipt ID:[protected]

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal TECHNICS DIGITAL AUDIO PROCESSOR SV-100 *MINT COMPLETE* PCM BASED 1 $112.00 USD $112.00 USD

Shipping & Handling:
(includes any seller handling fees) $28.45 USD
Shipping Insurance (not offered): --

Total: $140.45 USD
This charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *KAROLINACIT".

Payment sent to [email protected]

Business information

Shipping Information

Address status: Confirmed

Receipt Number: [protected]

Seller had try to ask for high shipping cost. Do not btrust this seller karolina
Business information

Nov 06, 2013 12:36 am

Ebay has a wonderful Seller's Assistant program where you make an appointment, they come to your home and look at your items, catalogue all that they'll take for the program and you sign their contract. They then take the photos, list, sell and collect the $ for 20%?!) of the selling price. This part went well. I had been told several times on several different phone calls with their customer service rep Ian, that the split would be 20-80. I called the day of the pu to reconfirm this. When the guys arrived for the pick up, the contract said 25/75. I was informed by the pu guys that this had just changed a couple of days previous. I changed it on my contract. When it came time to pay me, it was at the 25/75 split. When I called to correct this, I was told that it had NEVER been 20-80 and that I'd changed the contract because "that was what I wanted it to be." I was called a liar by Ian, the SAME service rep that told me on 3 different phone calls on 3 different occasions that it was a 20/80 split!
Bottom line: watch the split . It is a moving target! I was told in the course of attempting to get MY 20% that "It's only 5%. ( To which I replied but "IT'S MY MONEY!") and that the split HAD GONE UP TO 30% (Like I was supposed to be GRATEFUL!)
Use this service only if you (A like being called a liar and (B having ebay TAKE YOUR money.
If you happen to get a customer service rep named Ian, DO NOT believe ANYTHING he says!

Off to small claims court now. I have that 20% IN WRITING with their sign off on it! Read anything before U sign, it pays off!

D
Jun 12, 2009 12:36 am

I sold on eBay for 7 years. Since Meg left, they have repeatedly made mistakes on my account. CHECK YOUR BILLING. I was billed for items THEY listed twice. One is now not informed if you relist on that page, so you may relist same item twice. Check if you sell in volume.

They randomly put a hold on my eBay selling for seven days for listing a ROOT STARTER, but didn't tell me what I did wrong. I can't always access my site. My pictures aren't always there, though I list them and they appear when listing begins. CHECK YOUR PICTURES!

The hassles they create are not worth it anymore. Selling used to be fun and easy, I had a number 3550+. Sold since '93.

DO NOT begin selling on eBay. They are no longer an organized site and you cannot rely on them to advertise eBay at all to remind people to buy. ( a Cable tv ad costs $10.00)
You will have nothing but headaches. Go to a free listing site that offers 30 days free listing. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE, and I got twice the price.

How sad that a company that worked so well has failed us all so miserably. Don't trust it; I've been let down, almost weekly for months now. The mis-billing is the worst. Check every transaction. Then go elsewhere to sell your valuables. You'll be glad you did!

Mar 02, 2010 12:36 am

Ebay gave out my personal info to someone who just 'asked' for it. My phone rang in the middle of the night - scared the crap outta my wife and woke up the baby.

I had no prior transactional relationship with this person - they phoned me in the middle of the night to ask a question about something I was selling - a horrible breach of trust on ebay's part.

Please be careful with them.

Oct 30, 2010 12:36 am

Hello, I have been bying and selling on Ebay for over 6 years I had 2 accounts and my feedback is 100% positive. Recently my firiend from Canada offered me to sell few Apple iphones 4 so I have listed them and in a few hours my account had been suspended because Eb ay beleved that items were not listed by me I need to reset passwprd which i did i went thru all the conformation steps including my dob and all private information so account was reactivated and then re-listed the items now account is locked again! They again beleive that it is not me. WHY? THIS IS HORRIBLE, I UNDERSTAND THEY FIGHT TO INSURE OUR PRIVACY AND SECURITY BUT NOT THIS WAY~! AFTER I HAVE ALREADY UNLOCKED AND CONFIRMED THAT IT IS ME THE OWNER OF THE ACCOUNT WHO MADE THE LISTINGS, CRAZY...DOUBLE JOB AND COMMON SENSE IN THIS COMPANY.

Jul 25, 2007 12:36 am

Shame On ebay! Yes, they booted selenaqperezfan but now they are playin g censor they claim ebay is a safe place to trade! HA, they allow Buyers to be cheated and scammed and if anyone tries to warn other buyers they remove the warnings.. I posted a blog and a warning on my page I checked with the rules and saw nothing that would keep me from doing so.. I did not mention names or contact info and told my story yet ebay removed bot h pages with no reason why at all.. Ebay knows I'm well off so they removed my second attempt with yet another warning yet they have booted people off their site for a second offense.. that proves they only care about the almighty dollar..Well I have news for ebay I am history and so is my money.. I will do my shopping after I have finished my move and if I can't find what I'm looking for where I'll be moving to then I can do without it..

Please be careful when shopping on ebay also there is a new auction site visit http://www.traderbait.com maybe if ebay starts to lose buyers they will change their policies..remember without the buyers there are no sellers and no sellers no ebay!

Dec 12, 2010 12:36 am

I have an exemplary record as an Ebay (UK) seller until just recently when two buyers tried their best to defraud me by making false claims about goods they had bought. I complained to ebay customer services and their defamation department and even though they agreed that the two were in the wrong i.e. Paypal released funds that they had frozen at one buyers' behest as she tried to fraudulently claim that what she had received was not what had been advertised and the other had tried to renegotiate payment terms when he arrived to pick up a boat that he had bought and then took only what he wanted and left the rest - a total breach of their own policies - yet they have allowed the negative comments to remain. I have sent 9 emails with the defam form attached and also sent it to them via surface mail - they claim not to have received it. I sent proof of posting with yet another copy of the from and they removed the comments but have left the negative feedback - why? their alleged 'customer services department' are good for nothing, they have the worst performance level of any service I have ever encountered and they now have the temerity to reduce my seller status because of these two negative comments - even though I pay the same rate to list and their fees as everyone else. I would go to Trading Standards but they are just as bad and have no teeth - any suggestions?

May 17, 2012 12:36 am

I purchased 2 radio controlled helicopters from an overseas seller which was a total of US$57.98. I trusted his emails when he said ‘trust me, we’ve sent’. Well it’s been over 45 days now. His ‘delayed response’ was due to ‘My Paypal is not working right now (stupid me)….yeah right! He keeps on sending me back emails saying give me a couple more days to send the refund. Finally guess what..his Paypal is now ‘working’.

So I say, well please refund so I can leave + feedback (trying to be as nice as possible, leaving smile faces). He responds back, It’s my pleasure, I will (and sends :-) with it)! That @#$%! It makes me so mad I can’t even see straight! What can I do? I made the purchase on Paypal with a Paypal Plus card but this is a Payapal Mastercard. Can I contact Mastercard to dispute the charges!?

I don’t believe the seller obtained tracking # so if I can prove that the seller can’t prove that I ever received the R/C helis, do I have a shot at getting reimbursed SOMEHOW!? If someone can answer me, please get back to me. Thank you kindly in advance!

M
Jan 16, 2011 12:36 am

I recently had a buyer who lied about an item not being delivered and I knew that it was delivered because I had delivery conformation and even called the post office. The buyer went to Ebay to complain and ebay returned his money even though I had the delivery conformation number. I tried to discuss it with ebay and they did not even care about what I had to say. Then in another incident this month a customer gave me my first negative feedback with no reason and I tried to contact him and no response and then I tried to contact ebay about it and they said they couldnt do anything without a proper explanation. And my last personal complain is ebay charged me a higher fee on one of my expensive items which was about double the final value fee which made no sense i complained about this and they still somehow brushed it off and said that I was somehow wrong? Ebay is a crooked company they do not care for their users especially not sellers since they always find a way to screw them over! Ebay also seems to charge way too much on selling fees first their is a listing fee then a final value fee then their is another fee for paypal which they also own. Ebay and Paypal are greedy and only care about money I am no longer interested in doing business with them because if you are going to run a company that services people then you should treat the customers with respect and fairly and shouldnt try to constantly find ways to take more and more money from them without offering them something more!

S

Ebay is the most corrupted multi-billion dollar business on the internet and do unfair business practices.
In february 2017, Ebay went after those that were doing Trade Mark Infrigements and make them sign a form agreeing not to violate the same Trademark Infrigement practice. For example: making items using some brand name's trademark to sell it.
As far as I can see it, these big time Trade Mark Infringers are doing it all the time using the same ebay id and using other Ebay Ids that Ebay knows are the same people or person, but they don't do anyting about it? Why? These sellers are gold or platinum members that sell thousands of items per month grossing between 20K or more per month. Ebay wants the high fees these Trade Mark Infringers paid to them. I reported these members to Ebay too many time, they ignore it. The smaller sellers are all kicked off, but the big time infringers on still there selling items using Trade marked names/brands.

Aug 06, 2007 12:36 am

I just got an email from eBay suspension telling me that they were concerned about their integrity and so on. I am not an often user of eBay so I would understand a suspension for too little usage. But for being a threat or having them concerned about me possibly harming the integrity of the community ? What information are they using ? It is completely crazy and bitter.

Here is a transcript of their mail. Are we enough in number to act in block and complain together ?

Transcript:

We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to concerns we have for the safety and integrity of the eBay community.

"Abusing eBay" of the eBay User Agreement states, in part:

"...we may limit, suspend, or terminate our service and user accounts, prohibit access to our website, remove hosted content, and take technical and legal steps to keep users off the Site if we think that they are creating problems, possible legal liabilities, or acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies."

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that any seller fees due to eBay will immediately become due and payable. eBay will charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method currently on file.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay, Inc.

T
Dec 09, 2008 12:36 am

A few days ago I received from Ebay in my Ebay inbox on their site a coupon for 10% off any purchase made before November 30th, 2017.

Today I found an item I was interested in buying and checked to see if the coupon was still in my inbox on the Ebay site. It was still there and was still valid. I went ahead with the purchase only because I thought I was getting a 10% off coupon applied to the price of the item.

I won the item and went ahead to try to pay for the item and apply the coupon code. I got an error telling me that the code didn't work. I looked into it and discovered my email addresses in Ebay and Paypal were different. I did what the coupon said to do and changed my Ebay email so they were the same. It still didn't work.

I then got on a help chat with agent who was less than helpful and eventually closed the chat on me, even though I was nothing but cordial and patient in requesting help. After my incident I researched the issue on the internet and apparently there are many people who have had issues using these coupons.

Due to the fact that I complied with the terms of the coupon and was treated very rudely by agent in an Ebay help chat, I would like Ebay to credit me the $10.35 of the $103.49 purchase price of the item I purchased. Being a good Ebayer, I went ahead and paid the seller as this is no fault of theirs, but until this is addressed, I don't think I'll be using Ebay for any purchases in the future, which is a shame as I've always been a prompt and responsible user of the site.

I
Jul 01, 2010 12:36 am

eBay makes everything so complex and frustrating. We came across this new site:

www.RateEbay.com

You can vent your frustrations and actually leave feedback for eBay (Positive, Negative or Neutral). At the time of this post, eBay's positive ratings are a low 26.2%. The feedback posted describes the many issues buyers & sellers face with eBay. Makes you quickly realize you’re not the only one with eBay isssues.

J

I recently sold on eBay. 100% feedback, Top Rated Seller status, impeccable policy compliance and multitudes of return customers. Sounds great doesn't it. Well you'd be wrong. I will never, ever, sell on eBay again. Within the space of 2 days, despite the above, I ended in closing my account due to eBay's appalling behavior in refusing to punish members inflating item prices by falsely reporting them claiming they are in violation of eBay terms of use and as such colluding in what I interpret to be fraud. I had an item removed in such a manner, then spent 4 hours on the phone with eBay before finally getting it re-instated and forcing eBay to issue an email admitting fault. I then filed a complaint against those members who had submitted false information in order to get the item removed in the first place, due to the fact it was competing at a lower price than those that had themselves listed. EBay's response? Nothing. And not just nothing, much worse. Not only did they refuse to punish the people responsible for trying to damage my reputation, they then threatened me with policy violations when I had the nerve to author an eBay guide which informed others of what had occurred. Apparently eBay only cares about providing a safe and informed environment when it isn't their own level of safety or the lack of enforcing policy bought into question. I was contacted with a message from eBay Trust & Saftey (what a joke) informing me that if I didn't remove or edit the guide I would be hit with policy violations (despite the fact that the information contained within it was 100% true and accurate) a message I interpreted to be a form of blackmail. When I refused to comply they did indeed issue multiple violations, effectively destroying my business. And this again despite a spotless record, 100% feedback and Top Rated Seller status. To say I'm disgusted doesn't even come close. They refuse to punish long term members engaged in fraudulent behavior, thus in effect colluding in it, punish those who speak out, then claim in messages to the innocent party they are only acting in the best interest of eBay as a whole. My advice, never buy anything on eBay again. You are simply getting ripped of by a company and selling environment that cares nothing for honesty or integrity.

O
Oct 28, 2009 12:36 am

I tried out ebay, Did alot of reading, Research and did my homework. I finally was ready to insert my items. First up was my congas. I was feeling pretty good cuz i had 9 bidders watching and 3 good ranking ebayers decided to bid. Out of no where bids a no ranking ebay( I later learn that this particular bidder or ID has bin doing ths similiar act for three years). Shortly after this fishy act, I recieve a message " SorryBut your item did not sell, But you do qualify to relist" I didn't cuz that would've required A relist and another insertion fee. I sold the tent for next to nothing ( Thank God i posted for local pickup cuz if not, I minus well have givin it away for free with a fee for me to pay. With the few bucks that i gave away the tent for, I inserted 5 more which already ate my profit for the the tent. My Black shower curtain Was up for the final bid with bout 10 min. remaining . Right under my item was an item similiar to mine but was priced at next to nothing and had 29 Days left. That tarnished the possibility of selling my item (I thought the top of the list was for final bids, According to what i read) . Again, I may relist the Item ( with more fees of course). Finally, My last draw was when my silver certificate was up for final bids. I could not find it in the first two final bids pages. I feel as if ebay was trying to generate more fees for my items with these fishy acts. I wll not sell or give anything away to ebay for a fee when i can give it away for free to family and friends. Ebay did not help me with my items (like i read) . Instead they were trying generate more fees. I will not list on ebay or waste my time. If i do go back, It will be to buy or get an item for very cheap.

O
Jul 09, 2010 12:36 am

Ebay charged me $16.20 twice for my seller account, they assured me three times that they would take one charge off of my account, then they said that they were not going to credit back the money. Ebay is a joke & a rip off. Not to mention the fact that they take 10% of every item sold, as well as a listing fee etc. Pay Pal charges there fees as well. Ebay also has their defaults set to charge you extra money on top of all of that, no wonder they are getting richer and the rest of us poorer.

Jan 08, 2011 12:36 am

I am sick of ebay ripping the people off! they are a billion dollar business for a reason! Because they are stealing the peoples money! 1st from charging numerous confusing fees at different times. To suspending your account or demanding more information when an issue arrives. To allowing buyers to do charge backs! I am also fed up with their affiliation to pay pal which is no better! With putting holds and charge backs on peoples funds plus charging additional fees for the charge backs. A complete SCAM & RIP OFF! I hope we can all come together with this. I am considering a class action law suit! I reported both companies to the better business bureau today! Please do the same!

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

733 complaints