eBayvery poor customer service and support

This complaint is concerning a lack of responsiveness of eBay to a customer and very poor support.

On December 28, 2017, after taking over ONE hour for a support person to take care of what turned out to be a simple ordering problem, I lost an opportunity to get a discount because the deadline to take advantage of it ended. As a result of the loss of the discount and the very poor service from the support person, I e-mailed them. All I ever received was an automated response. A copy of it is below:

Thank you for writing to eBay Customer Support.

Your question is very important to us and will be treated with our full attention. We understand the need to get your question answered quickly, and in most circumstances we do so within 24 to 36 hours. However, there may be times when it will take up to 72 hours for you to receive a response. To speed up the process, we ask that you do not send in multiple messages about the same issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not respond to this email. Any email sent as a response to this Acknowledgement will not reach us. Should you have another question or would like to send us additional information, please contact us by using our online Contact Customer Support page found at:

We appreciate your patience,

eBay Customer Support

Sounds nice doesn't it? Well, what they said (or actually wrote) is false. Because there was no response to actually resolve the problem, I e-mailed them again after the 72 hours had passed. There still was no response except for the automated response listed above.

After 72 hours elapsed, I decided I would try to call them. That was just a futile exercise. I would get the same man everytime and he wouldn't really listen to me and just transfer me to a line where there was a recording. At one point of time he told me basically that going online and communicating that way was actually speach. Speach? I had enough of typing messages back and forth and wanted to actually speak to someone!

So far, there has been NO response from eBay to resolve my concerns. They obviously are in effect saying---"WE DON"T REALLY CARE."

• Ca
    cadi Jun 03, 2016

yes the fees are different all the time. because they take a certain percentage of what you sell. if it sells for more then they take more based on whatever percent they take.

• Valerie Jun 03, 2016

I sell motorcycles, parts and accessories on ebay. It seems every time the fees are different. I sold a 15k bike and it cost 54.00 I sold a 511.00 bike and it cost me142.00??? It is so hard to get them to fix your problems. plus I have had 2 sales that winning bidder didn’t pay for 20k I am going to use another site when its up and running its called power-bay.net and power-bay.com they are going to only do power sport stuff. It an online power sport auction with fixed fees. I can’t wait. I hear goggle or yahoo is trying to buy the site and also ebay. Guess they don’t want a site that’s better than there’s!!!

• Re
    Reviewer21231 Sep 08, 2015

Ever try to alert ebay of a shady seller or poor practice? Good Luck. I usually call on phone to be able to fully explain details in case they try to throw you some off the wall questions that would cause a great deal of back and forth emails... Once you make contact, you normally get some quick talking curry eater that could care less. They allow some sellers to hide or not disclose hidden fees. Car dealers in general. If any seller has a fee on top of a sale price - it should be spelled out - no surprises. But ebay allows car dealers free reign on such practices. Also if you have a general merchandise seller who advertises items that are bought on Buy It Now, then never delivered, then later refunded, ebay doesn't seem to mind either. Its a scam of using your money for a couple of weeks or so. At no interest... For sure, the quality and oversight are degrading daily, and they are becoming the new Craigslist of the World...

• Ne
    negroni818 Nov 16, 2014

I had the same experience, it seems EBAY transfers you to a call center in the Philippines where you are greeted by robotic customer service reps that constantly repeat what they had to say without listening to what I was stating. 50 minutes to resolve what could have been resolved in 5 minutes had the rep listened to what was being asked instead of being argumentative and repetitive in what she was saying. They are worse than the nastiest bill collectors and they have already been paid. The worst customer service experience I have ever gone through. Bring those jobs back to the U.S. where customer service is held at a higher standard!

• Ge
    geauxtigers67 Nov 07, 2014

I've been selling on ebay for years and this month I got hit with $12.25 in extra "fees" from the company. I called the customer service, yes I actually got through, and the ### on the phone would not listen to me. He just kept repeating some pre-written sentence that had nothing to do with what I was saying. I ALWAYS make sure not to sign up for the extra options and insertion fees. But the hit me with 2 months worth of bogus fees out of no where. I make sure at the very end before I post anything that it says "$.00" in fees. I guess ebay isn't happy enough with the 10% commission that they have to add in fake fees after you sell something. I am closing my account and NEVER using Ebay again.

• Sh
    sheriselitz50 Oct 18, 2014

So, I ordered this toy gun on ebay and it cost me 29.30 or 80 at the end of the 29 dollars. I haven't got a repose from the seller, I've contacted him about the item to send me the tracking number and it still has not responding to me and the item hasn't even been shipped I don't think. This item comes from hong kong China and I live in Idaho in the USA. I want to know if my item will be there before halloween cause that is what I bought it for.

• Re
    REGENCYBUILD Aug 19, 2014

DID YOU OR ANYONE FROM FORUM CONTACT POLICE?
    YOU ALL HAVE A CASE AGAINST EBAY

• Le
    leeforeman Jan 01, 2014

Also it says buy now and then you need to register well hello thats not buy now thats register then buy arghh

• Le
    leeforeman Jan 01, 2014

I cant believe it i search the web waste all day looking for a birthday presant for my son every time i find a jacket i like it puts me through to this is frustrating and out of order why should they use so many sites and i cant even register i tried befor they wanted me to have pay pal they toke two payments and i still wasnt registered then when i try again it says my information is incorrect i hate ebay ruined my day

JOSEPH SCHWARTZMEIR Dec 14, 2013

L had over 20 (twenty) ads running on ebay with over 40 photos. When their time limit expired (30 days), l ran them a second time using the exact same photos. Nothing changed. L suddenly received an email from ebay stating that all my photos are "not the right size" and l must change all of them or my ads will not run again. Suddenly all of these 40 plus photos are not the "right size" after running for an extended period on their site?? Lt would take me several hours to alter all the photos in all my ads. Are they complete idiots on ebay? They refused to run my ads again and after numerous calls and emails to them, they never contacted me to discuss this ridiculous situation. Ebay should be thankful for their sellers and not treat them like fools! Leaving ebay is no hardship for me. The truth is 98 percent of my sales comes from amazon and only 2 percent comes from ebay. Needless to say, spending hours altering my photos for ebay would be a complete waste of my time and energy. Lf they had any common sense they would try to keep their sellers and not drive them away.

• Ad
    Adam Crotts Nov 20, 2013

But how do you eliminate something so big and monetarily powerful without just dragging its employees in the streets and shooting them in the heads and then blowing up their facilities? I'm past the point of reason with people. I'd rather just kill people who don't deserve to belong on this planet. We need a population reduction anyway. The rich need killed and their wealth redistributed to the poor. It's really that simple when 95% of the wealth in the world is possessed by 5% of its people.

• Pe
    peaches 1206 Nov 06, 2013

Ebay has a wonderful Seller's Assistant program where you make an appointment, they come to your home and look at your items, catalogue all that they'll take for the program and you sign their contract. They then take the photos, list, sell and collect the $ for 20%?!!) of the selling price. This part went well. I had been told several times on several different phone calls with their customer service rep Ian, that the split would be 20-80. I called the day of the pu to reconfirm this. When the guys arrived for the pick up, the contract said 25/75. I was informed by the pu guys that this had just changed a couple of days previous. I changed it on my contract. When it came time to pay me, it was at the 25/75 split. When I called to correct this, I was told that it had NEVER been 20-80 and that I'd changed the contract because "that was what I wanted it to be." I was called a liar by Ian, the SAME service rep that told me on 3 different phone calls on 3 different occasions that it was a 20/80 split!!!
    Bottom line: watch the split . It is a moving target! I was told in the course of attempting to get MY 20% that "It's only 5%. ( To which I replied but "IT'S MY MONEY!!!") and that the split HAD GONE UP TO 30% (Like I was supposed to be GRATEFUL!!!)
    Use this service only if you (A like being called a liar and (B having ebay TAKE YOUR money.
    If you happen to get a customer service rep named Ian, DO NOT believe ANYTHING he says!!!

Off to small claims court now. I have that 20% IN WRITING with their sign off on it!! Read anything before U sign, it pays off!

• Kr
    krystina7 Oct 29, 2013

when you shop on ebay.com, you are offered buyer protection for your purchases so that you can feel assured that the product you are buying is as described in listing or you get your money refunded plus original shipping. I purchased a purse that was described as like new in the listing and it came with major faded marks on the material of the purse and i opened a buyer protection case on ebay. well, they decided case in my favor and told me to mail it back and once it was delivered, i would be refunded. i shipped back with tracking and a day before it was delivered to seller, ebay suspended my account for unknown reasons. the buyer protection case was closed and i was told i wouldnt be refunded. that is not right. i was told to mail back and assured i'd be refunded, yet they went back on this after i had shipped item back? that is just wrong. i was eligible for buyer protection on this item and ebay is wrong for this. how can they charge me for an item i do not have anymore? they told me to return it! and now seller has item back and my money also! this is not right! can anyone give me any advise on this? it was charged to billmelater through paypal. [email protected]

Lisa417 Mar 11, 2013

Ebay Seller karolina( 2213) [email protected]

Ebay seller karolina Buyers beware of merchant charge higher shipping cost..
    Complaint Rating:

Ebay Seller karolina( 2213)[email protected]

Seattle, Washington
    United State

Ebay seller karolina Buyers beware of merchant charge higher shipping cost..

Complaint Rating:

as advertise on nthe site.
    I had bough a TECHNICS DIGITAL AUDIO PROCESSOR SV-100 *MINT COMPLETE* PCM BASED
    From Business information
    Contact E-Mail: [email protected]

This email confirms that you have paid Karol Hansen ([email protected]) $140.45 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *KAROLINACIT".

Now that you've completed your payment, sign up for a free PayPal account by clicking Sign Up Now below. You'll be able to check out faster next time and track your payment history for all of the items you purchase on eBay.

Payment Details

Purchased From:
    Receipt ID:[protected]

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal TECHNICS DIGITAL AUDIO PROCESSOR SV-100 *MINT COMPLETE* PCM BASED 1 $112.00 USD $112.00 USD

Shipping & Handling:
    (includes any seller handling fees) $28.45 USD
    Shipping Insurance (not offered): --

Total: $140.45 USD
    This charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *KAROLINACIT".

Payment sent to [email protected]

Business information

Shipping Information

Address status: Confirmed

Receipt Number: [protected]

Seller had try to ask for high shipping cost. Do not btrust this seller karolina
    Business information

• As
    astonchik Mar 10, 2013

• Ra
    Ray Claborn Jan 06, 2013

I bought a vacuum cleaner (new) through eBay and received wrong model. Seller agreed I return it and I did. Seller then shipped a very used and damaged correct model. eBay refused to do anything about it. My credit card company and seller forced PalPal (Owned by eBay) to correct mistakes. eBay's buyer warranty is worthless in my opinion. Always have YOUR credit card company between you and eBay.

Comments
    Comments

• Te
    tedd-e-bear Nov 03, 2012

Writing to mention that if you are a seller on Ebay Be aware that the protection service has no intention of helping you out when a buyer wants to create a problem or tries to scam you out of your item and money -
    Sold a Great used smart phone to a buyer 9 days ago after tring to help the buyer with an issue he said he had with the (tested and working phone) a case was started, i as seller deciedide to give the full refund if the item was returned to me per Ebays protection options (could possibly resale the phone to some other buyer) - have not had any response from the buyer to me or Ebay since this case opening, I escalated the case on 11-1-12 because customer service said to to get some thing done or else it would be over 45 days to close the case (they have the money for the phone held in paypal), took resolution center less then 24 hours to decide in the buyers favor - now im told the buyer has 10 more days to respond and could still get a refund for an item i may never see again - may have to apeal the case after all this to get anything done - ALL I CAN SAY IS SELLERS BEWARE

Mayfair Oct 02, 2012

it used to be something like 60 or 90 days and that was fine but now its 45 day which is way to short for items that need to travel half way around the world!

• We
    west_creek Jun 22, 2012

If you believe eBay, you would kill yourself since eBay is not real 'Bay' company. They are retail company like Walmart or Best Buy. So do not trust eBay as 'auction'. They lie about their business. Paypal just a sister company with eBay, Paypal never help you to object eBay for sure.

• La
    Lauconde May 17, 2012

I purchased 2 radio controlled helicopters from an overseas seller which was a total of US$57.98. I trusted his emails when he said ‘trust me, we’ve sent’. Well it’s been over 45 days now. His ‘delayed response’ was due to ‘My Paypal is not working right now (stupid me)….yeah right!! He keeps on sending me back emails saying give me a couple more days to send the refund. Finally guess what..his Paypal is now ‘working’.

So I say, well please refund so I can leave + feedback (trying to be as nice as possible, leaving smile faces). He responds back, It’s my pleasure, I will (and sends :-) with it)! That @#$%! It makes me so mad I can’t even see straight! What can I do? I made the purchase on Paypal with a Paypal Plus card but this is a Payapal Mastercard. Can I contact Mastercard to dispute the charges!?

I don’t believe the seller obtained tracking # so if I can prove that the seller can’t prove that I ever received the R/C helis, do I have a shot at getting reimbursed SOMEHOW!!?? If someone can answer me, please get back to me. Thank you kindly in advance!

Joshua Edwards Mar 06, 2012

I recently sold on eBay. 100% feedback, Top Rated Seller status, impeccable policy compliance and multitudes of return customers. Sounds great doesn't it. Well you'd be wrong. I will never, ever, sell on eBay again. Within the space of 2 days, despite the above, I ended in closing my account due to eBay's appalling behavior in refusing to punish members inflating item prices by falsely reporting them claiming they are in violation of eBay terms of use and as such colluding in what I interpret to be fraud. I had an item removed in such a manner, then spent 4 hours on the phone with eBay before finally getting it re-instated and forcing eBay to issue an email admitting fault. I then filed a complaint against those members who had submitted false information in order to get the item removed in the first place, due to the fact it was competing at a lower price than those that had themselves listed. EBay's response? Nothing. And not just nothing, much worse. Not only did they refuse to punish the people responsible for trying to damage my reputation, they then threatened me with policy violations when I had the nerve to author an eBay guide which informed others of what had occurred. Apparently eBay only cares about providing a safe and informed environment when it isn't their own level of safety or the lack of enforcing policy bought into question. I was contacted with a message from eBay Trust & Saftey (what a joke) informing me that if I didn't remove or edit the guide I would be hit with policy violations (despite the fact that the information contained within it was 100% true and accurate) a message I interpreted to be a form of blackmail. When I refused to comply they did indeed issue multiple violations, effectively destroying my business. And this again despite a spotless record, 100% feedback and Top Rated Seller status. To say I'm disgusted doesn't even come close. They refuse to punish long term members engaged in fraudulent behavior, thus in effect colluding in it, punish those who speak out, then claim in messages to the innocent party they are only acting in the best interest of eBay as a whole. My advice, never buy anything on eBay again. You are simply getting ripped of by a company and selling environment that cares nothing for honesty or integrity.

• Ni
    Nimber Mar 02, 2012

From 2017 to 2017 I decided to join eBay to sell some items. At first all was fair and I did earn some income. However as I post each item for sale the fee for eBay Listing fee continue to increase. After much consideration I decided to leave in March 2017. They responded by telling me I must pay outstanding listing fee. I responded since the last item I had posted with them did not sell I should not be charged for listing fee. They said the listing fee is nonrefundable. I disagree. I want them to waive the fee and close the account. They refused to comply with my request. Instead they started charging penalty fees for lack of payment and suspended my membership and account. I responded expressing my bitterness to their lack of cooperation. I want them to drop the charges and resolve this matter to my satisfaction. This company is trying to legally rob me. This is not acceptable nor tolerable.

• Ju
    Juvaled Mar 02, 2012

I have been buying off Ebay and using my credit union(cu) credit card for years (which is one of the lowest interest rates around) and never having any problems. I was buying an item off of Ebay when the sale was stopped and I was told I had to apply for a PayPal Mastercard(which is a very high interest rate credit card and Ebay owns PayPal) in order to continue to purchase items off of Ebay.

I called an 800 number I was given and talked to the supervisor in India who told me that Ebay policy states that I must use a more secure CC(credit card) in order to continue to buy off Ebay. I explained that in the 5 past years that I used my cu cc that there was not one incident of a payment failure. He still insisted that it is Ebay Policy. I filed a complaint with the Penna. Attorney General Office but have never received a response from them. I believe that some company who forces you to use their CC is against the law. I could not find in the agreement I made with Ebay that I would have to use PayPal CC after a certain amount of time or purchases.

• Tr
    trimiar2006 Feb 15, 2012

I feel that ebay did me very wrong

• Tr
    trimiar2006 Feb 15, 2012

ebay did me so wrong

• Mu
    Muller Feb 09, 2012

I've been a member of Ebay since 1999. A few months ago I sold a Autograph card on ebay. customer sends me message through EBAY saying he no longer wants the card. I ok'ed it. Later that week he gives me a negative feedback. Why, I still dont know. Now I have over 1100 positive feedbacks under 10 negatives. My seller performance has not moved in months and I'm limited to want I can sell on Ebay (14 items a month lol )for these months. OK he has -1 feedbacks and I have 1100 feedback and EBAY still took his side unbelievable. This is how they treat customers of over 10 years like I'm on punishment. Thanks for the Loyalty.

• Yi
    yiggy Feb 01, 2012

We have to petition their customer support department to come back to the US and employed with competent people

• Cr
    CraftMom Jan 28, 2012

ebay is strange. Its changed sooo much over the years, while its much safer to shop online, its still certainly not geared towards the mommy type seller (i was one). Craigslist has made it soooo much easier while ebay has progressively gotten tougher. I remember early on that they publicly said that they were going to trim the fat and focus on making the big ebay customers happy - ones like staples, etc. Yeah, focus on craigslist!

• Jc
    J.C.305 Jan 27, 2012

I keep getting a message stating that I have reached my 30 day sales limit. With this message is states that if I would like to have this limit changed to click on the link and I can have my account reviewed. This does not work. So I decided to call and upon doing so I encountered an employee and "supervisor" who offered the outstanding advice of "try again in 30 days"...REPEATEDLY! I have a 100% feedback rating and have doen over $35, 000.00 in sales on eBay. I would like to have my account reviewed or at the very least be given some information as to why I do not qualify to list more than 5 items in 30 days. I have been in business for 23 years, I have a FEIN and Tax ID number. I would like an answer as to why I can't do business on eBay.

lindaegret8 Jan 23, 2012

Ebay only protects the buyer not the seller.Although I do not have that many transactions most of them have been a total headache.In one instance the post office lost a package( priority mail w delivery confirm)and the buyer did nothing to help.i had to call constantly until it was found a month later in another state.The buyer was unhelpful because she was protected I wasnt.Then i had a complaint about an item that cost 5.99 and I described the item as having problems( it was a designer sweater) the buyer won the case and though ebay agreed that she had sent a threatening extortionist email to me they did nothing.It really is only for buyers forget about anything if you are selling you are on your own basically .This buyer with the 5.99 sweater waited over 4 days to pay and once again ebay did nothing.Years ago I had an ebay account where I only bought for the most part and it was before these buyer protection policies were in place and I was never reimbursed for broken items( and I got a least 3 ).Ebay is not fun it is a lot of work and I have had so much go wrong that it is just a pain and not an enjoyable experience.i have tried Etsy and they seem gentler and nicer but they only take vintage or homemade so if i ever want to sell online again after I close my ebay account I will find another site.

• Mr
    Mrknowitall Oct 18, 2011

We store sellers are to greedy.

• Eb
    ebaynogood Oct 18, 2011

we have been selling on ebay for about 6 years and every year they are getting more and more greedy...for them it's all about $$ they believe the buyer before the seller...needless to say there would be no buyer without a seller or the other way arround. Ebay started with fees like 2-3% now it's almost 10% and they do charge you a fee for shipping...what a joke. so I did some shopping arround and found www.webstore.com ...no fees for sellers or buyers...check it out, they are not known as ebay but about 14 years ago nobody heard about ebay...so lets give ebay the run for their money and start posting on www.webstore.com...

• Do
    DownwithEbay Jul 05, 2011

Don't forget that PayPal is owned by Ebay. THe best thing to do is to boycott them and use something like Craig's List or one of the other venues.

• Do
    DownwithEbay Jul 05, 2011

What crap! Just another typical auto dealer and example of how our business community continues to stoop to new lows.

angelogcs Jun 07, 2011

Most honest comment ever. So true.
    Ebay is just a scam.

• Kr
    Kristin Maxson May 28, 2011

I bid in the US only. Ebay is what it is, untamed. I just bid on an item and found out my counter bid was rated at:
    Total bids: 897
    Items bid on: 162
    Bid activity (%) with this seller: 99% (100% when I first looked at the info)
    Wow! I emailed ebay and I emailed ebay. No response. I called and the ebay teller and he hung up on me? Now I have an unpaid item violation. Will I pay for this? You tell me the anwser to this question?
    The seller sent unkindly emails (powerlineman104) Perhaps 104 times in the rounds.
    This is ebay problem. The system allows seller with resulting statistics. It is in their database and they could control it, but it looks like it does not happen. Wow! Perhaps they can not tend with all of the data?, Cases?, Sellers? They sure know how to collect however.

• Bi
    bigred58 May 04, 2011

I bought a security pole an grab bar from a company o E-bay.Payed $169.00.They had ten Items of the same POLE.I ordered it in available color white.They shipped it in black.This wasnt a mistake it was deliberate savings tactic knowing no one orders a black safety pole an installs it in an all white bathroom.YA ! they kind of knew I wasnt going to send it back...thats why they sold it so cheap because they cost upwards $240.00 retail...The old saying goes, , , , , Theres a sucker born every minute...

LisaUS May 04, 2011

I have sold on ebay for many years. Never again. It was always a rip off the fees they charged. But now they are charging Final Value Fee on Shipping. Shipping???? They already get a final value fee on the sale price. Now they are charing on shipping fees. The money it takes you to ship an item. So many times, it has cost me money in the long run to sell an item.

Ebay is a scam. They rip you off. Use Etsy, the fees are very low and you get more time to sell your item. Forget ebay, hopefully they will go out of business. They certainly lost my business.

• So
    Sonias_Daughter Apr 11, 2011

I just went to www.RateEbay.com and it is worthless as people have abused this forum to legitimately rate eBay according to their experiences. Not only does eBay remove negative feedback so a seller or buyer can't get the truth then when there is a forum to properly provide feedback, people abuse it.

• So
    Sonias_Daughter Apr 10, 2011

I feel your pain! I just posted a complaint about not getting an item as described and eBay's rapid decision to favor the seller. eBay is a Buyers Beware forum, their Buyers Protection is worthless and I cannot find a way to overturn their applealed decision. I purchased a wedding dress that was misrepresented from princessformals09. Fortunately, I still have the dress and am trying to sell it on a bridal website.

I have also seen where Sellers have fallen victim to eBay protecting the buyer in unfair situations. I really think it depends on what kind of mood eBay is in that week as to whether they are going to favor the seller or the buyer. It is not a just system.

I am sorry you had this experience and I am trying to find a way to get some sort of justice. I am now relying on the pen being mightier than the sword and getting the word out to other eBay buyers before they fall victim to misleading and deceptive eBay postings and not being protected by eBay's so-called "Buyers Protection."