Direc TV / 24 Month Service Agreementearly termination fee

M

We started my direct tv service in september 2007. The agreement required a purchase of 24 consecutive months’ service. We stayed loyally with direct tv for about 25 months regardless of the increasing bill amounts and even the charges by their mistakes. On oct. 3, 2009 I called direct tv to cancel my service. I was offered that each month I would get about $20 discount and the $5.99/month fee for protection plan which I have never purchased could be canceled without a penalty. We had waited for two years to be able to cancel the direct tv service that had ripped us off ever since we signed in with them. I was very determined to terminate the miserable service that we had to put up for so long. Knowing that there was no way that they could persuade me to stay with them, the representative told me that they would charge me $240 early termination fee for one receiver that was replaced a year ago. We replaced the master bedroom’s tv with a hd lcd tv. Therefore we requested to replace the regular receiver with a hd receiver. We were charged a total of $21.60 for shipping/handling and tax for this hd receiver. The regular receiver was returned to direct tv.

Where did this penalty come from? I was told the fine was based on the hd receiver that we had in service for only 12 months. When we started a new receiver, this equipment requires a service of consecutive 24 months. What a reason? I have never been informed or required to sign or orally agree to renew my service to another 24 months from the date of replacing a receiver. We subscribed the service with 4 receivers. We disconnected one in aug. 2009. We have never added a new service. The 24-month agreement was completed. How can direct tv still charge us for any early termination fees?

• Al
    AllyOops Oct 05, 2009

I totally agree with you and if I didn't know better I would have thought that either my husband or I wrote YOUR complaint! We are going thru a very similar situation right now. Halfway thru our 24 months, we decided to get a DVR reciever in our bedroom. Nothing was ever mentioned by Direct TV that THAT would extend our 24 month original agreement, nor did we sign anything. Now they want over $350! They didn't even say anything at first, they just charged it on our credit card, which they were never authorized to do. I called and complained to them, they're response pretty much amounted to "oh well, we got the money and we have proof that you signed a new agreement when we gave you the DVR reciever"... Ok, so we told them to PROVE IT! Send us a copy of what we signed that started a new contract with them. Weeks went by, and no surprise, they never sent anything. So we called our wonderful credit card company and disputed. THEY asked for proof from Direct TV and no response. They credited our card and we thought it was over. No, direct TV is now sending bills for the money. Our credit is great, so we don't want them putting any 'marks' on it, but this is BS! AGAIN, hubby called Direct. THIS time the first guy said that there was no actual written contract from when the DVR was put in but that it automatically starts a new contract! NO WAY... We went to the next 'level' of support and that guy says that THERE IS something that we signed to extend it. Here we go again, we said, 'fine, send it to us and THEN we'll pay'...If not, what is your address to be served with papers because you are not going to end up getting this money..They have no address in TX, not so sure if that's legal either, I would think you have to have some sort of address in a state that you do business in, for this very reason, to be served! In any case, now we wait for the papers that will never arrive and see what arrives next.

• Al
    AllyOops Oct 05, 2009

'Min Wen', after posting to you, I found something that may help us. Check out this page . You may have to copy and paste that to your browser. If we all do at least some of this stuff that's mentioned on that page, especially the top post, we may get somewhere! I'm NOT going to accept paying this, nor will I accept a mark on my otherwise perfect credit history.

• Ts
    tsharpton Sep 08, 2010

Same thing is happening to me now. Just about 2 months ago I asked for a HD DVR and free HD service or I was going to leave them. I have been with them for over 2 years now so my contract is up. They agreed and sent out a guy with the HD DVR and he put up a new antenna because they said the old one will not pick up HD. Come last week I just lost my job...so the first thing to go for me is unnecessary stuff i.e. Direct TV. I called today to cancel and was told by the customer service person that I would be charged $20 for every month that I have left with my 24 month contract. I explained to her that I am existing customer and have not signed any new contract and in fact I had completed my 24 month contract with them. She then told me that when I got my new HD DVR it came with a 24 month contract. I was told nothing of this at the time and I singed no contract. I am trying now to get Direct TV to send me the contract that I signed. I will be taking this up with a lawyer if they do not decide to let these ridiculous charges go.