Diamonds Internationalbeware of diamonds international!

I purchased a set of diamonds studs on 1/20/07 from di's cozumel, mexico store at avenida rafael e. Melgar #131. The purchase price was $1,500.00 usd. When I got home I decided that I would like to upgrade the quality of my diamonds. The back of the original sales receipt clearly states that "you may receive a store credit on any jewelry purchased by you within 30 days of your purchase provided you return to di and ti the original receipt for the item purchased along with the item in its original condition".

I contacted di customer service in nyc and spoke to joan m. To inform her that I would like to return the studs for store credit, to be used against the purchase of my upgraded studs via di's online store.

On 1/29/07 joan faxed me a claim form. I completed the form, returned it to joan, and on 1/31/07 I received back from joan rma# cz-91-01-a3107. On 1/31/07 I sent the original diamond studs and original sales ticket, appraisal, and credit card receipts back to joan via usps registered mail tracking number ra460607023us. The package was received at di on 2/6/07 as per the usps.

On 2/7/07 joan called me and left me a message stating that she would not process my store credit unless I provided her with an "egl certificate" on the stones I had returned. This "egl certificate" was never provided to me by the di cozumel sales staff when I made my original purchase, was never requested from me previously by joan, and is not listed as a requirement in any of joans return/shipping instructions. Furthermore, as per di's own website, the new pair of upgraded studs that I intend to purchase only comes with a "replacement value appraisal"... Not an egl certificate, which helps prove my suspicion that egl certificates are not part of di's standard operating practice and that joan is using the certificate as an excuse to rip me off.

• Valerie Feb 08, 2007

On December 2, 2006, my husband and I purchased a “Past, Present, and Future” diamond ring at Diamonds International while on a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico. One of our chief concerns at the time of purchase was with the 14 karat gold setting that the 3 diamonds were set into. We were assured by the sales associate that the setting was secure and that I would be able to wear the ring for 20 – 30 years without fear that one of the diamonds would become loose or be lost. The purchase price was $1295.00. The ring was purchased to commemorate our 35th Wedding Anniversary. Since we had never purchased a diamond ring before, I was ecstatic with the beautiful and precious ring.

After the purchase was made the sales associate charged our credit card and sent the ring for sizing down two sizes. Then she suggested that we read the warranty.
    Let buyers beware that the Diamond International warranty is, in my opinion, nearly worthless.

On Dec. 4, 2006 while disembarking our cruise ship I noticed that the center diamond was missing and two of the clasps meant to secure the stone were bent backward. The clasps on the setting were obviously defective and caused the loss of the diamond. It never should have happened while wearing it in a normal fashion for less than 48 hours. I sent the defective ring to Diamonds International so that they could determine that the setting was not damaged by us or by a tool. The setting clasps were apparently sufficiently loosened by resizing to allow a thread or other item to get under two clasps and pull them back so that the diamond fell out. Their idea of honoring the warranty was to ask for $750 to repair it. The defective setting caused the loss of the diamond after one day and therefore should be covered by their repair warranty.

We are expecting an exact replacement of the missing diamond in regards to carat weight, cut, color, and inclusion clarity as described on Diamond International appraisal form. We also request that the diamonds be set in a new 14K gold ring to replace the defective ring.

It appears to us that the repair warranty is worthless. We are proceeding to alert others about this business practice.

Beware of Diamonds International!

• Ms
    ms corgi Aug 26, 2019

@Valerie I want to get a class action suit going. mysafetycounts @yahoo.com

• Kw
    K. Wood Feb 22, 2007

Aren't you a little harsh to the representative that helped you? Basing it on your own story the representative, acted on your paperwork in 2 days time. The representative that helped you did all the paperwork, and from my understanding the representative didn't sell you anything, you wanted an upgrade. The representative didn't even make a single dime on you, how come you are accusing the representative who arranged for your merchandise get to it's destination be ripping you off? I do understand your frustration with the stud earrings that you returned and of what you say the money that was not returned to you but please don't blame a customer service representative of ripping you off of something that never got to her pocket. And if it is true that you haven't received your money back you can sue the company at all times.

I am surprised you still want to get another purchase from this company despite the frustrations, aggregations that caused you. I am really surprised that you will spend more money to the company who has not given you your money back.

The integrity of your accusations proved nothing but mere fabrications. Make up your mind Sir, the customer representative that you say is making an excuse on how to rip you off, and the company that you said did not return your money back is the same company you are upgrading your stud earrings! Please make your story more convincing. I personally won't do any business with any company for the 2nd time, and spend twice the amount of what I originally spent if I believe I am being ripped off.
    You can't honestly believe that you have been ripped off by this company and this customer representative, if you are spending twice more for your upgrade.

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@K. Wood I AM AFFIRMING THE STATEMENTS OF VALERIE, I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE, THE PROBLEM IS FOR ME I DID NOT GOOGLE THEM PRIOR TO MAKING A PURCHASE. I FILED MY COMPLAINT, WHICH INCLUDES FRAUD WITH THE SAME DAY I PURCHASED THE ITEMS. NOW THEY ARE SAYING I DIDN'T RETURN THE ITEMS WITH IN THE 30 DAYS I HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR AN RMA SINCE THE 7TH OF NOVEMBER WHEN I DISCOVERED THAT THEY ARE JUST LIERS

• Ri
    Richard Mawhinney Nov 07, 2007

My wife and I love the jewelery selection in the Carribean, however most comments tend to insinuate the vacationer is usually ripped-off. Can this be avoided?

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@Richard Mawhinney Yes don't by from them, my experience is that in an effort to avoid being scammed I required at purchase the GIA certification would be provided. GIA certification provides, validation of the stones authenticity, a technical assessment of the quality of the stone and a valuation of the stone. EGL is completely bogus so is Safi Kalimia, they are not valid. I was provided an EGL certification which when I went to the website to affirm the certification did not exist in EGL records. This is not an insinuation, it is a sad fact.

• El
    Elaine Bais Jan 26, 2008

My adivse is to stay away from Diamonds International. To make a very long story short, we bought a diamond ring from them. It was neither the color nor the clarity that they'd stated and worse, they chipped it when they were setting it. We were caught in to catch 22s. One was that American Express would not give us a refund as long as we were in posession of the ring thus DI's refusal to take the ring back. If you can get them to take your merchandise back, call your credit card company immediately because they may just refund your money regardless of what is going on. The other catch was that we had the stone appraised in the setting thus the appraisal didn't mention the chip. Since the appraisal didn't mention the chip, DI refused to acknowledge the possiblitity that it could be chipped. The only time DI acted was when it looked like they might be forced to take the stone back. Those times being when we offered to fly to Las Vegas and have one of their jewelers tell us the stone was not chipped and the next time was after I had contacted the NY Attorney General's Office. After having sent us two unacceptable replacement stones, they finally sent a half decent stone. It took us 11 months, 20 letters, 4 written appraisals/evaluations, 27 emails, 30+ phone calls and numerous faxes to finally get this resolved. The stone I know have is a half carat smaller that what I had originally bought and it isn't a better stone to say that I gained any "quality" in going down in size. I just have a smaller stone.

• Do
    doree a becerra Feb 05, 2008

Diamonds Iinternational needs to be stopped from rippng people off. My husband and I too purchased a ring in Cozmel while on a Carnival Cruise. The Ship representative told us to make sure we register our purchase on the ship so if anything should go wrong they would back us. WRONG!! The same representative that helped us with our purchase and assured us that we were getting a good deal. WRONG AGAIN!! While we were at the store they assured me that the settings were all secure but again another LIE. A diamond falls out when it is only worn a few times. THE APPRAISAL falls short by $1075.00 on one diamond alone. They are Fraudulant all the way around and the Cruise Ships promote them. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.
    PPI (which is the company that the cruise ship provides you to protect you from being ripped off) had the nerve to tell me we did not have the appraisal done at a place that knew what they were doing and that they were not qualified to appraise the ring . When the appraisal company called them to get an explanation for there actions they in turn acknoledged THEY ARE qualified but didn't like the fact that they put a $ figure on the diamonds and setting as well as the mount. Because where Diamond International wants you to send your purchase to be appraised is back over Seas. Where they will NOT put a $ figure on them at all. So they can get away with their lie. Diamonds International offers me $200. towards another purchse for the fraud committed with this purchase. I was shocked!! Like who would really want to buy more of their JUNK!!! LIES!!!

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@doree a becerra I have started a FB page we need to stop them which means we must unite, this is from what I can see in everyone's complaints 100's of thousands of dollars. if you have any interest, in taking these Pirates of the Caribbean out of the Market, then we must create awareness. [email protected]

DunnL Jan 13, 2020

@gma.papa Any luck with this?

• St
    STEPHANIE Mar 25, 2008

My boyfriend and I also bought a diamond and setting at diamonds international. when we got home the diamond was not the one we actually purchased and the apraisal was no where near what diamonds international said it was. they also debited our credit card several times for the one transaction which added up to over $15, 000.

we are just starting the process of returning the diamond and setting and getting our money back but I have already had some resistance from diamonds international. if anyone has info on how to speed up the process or how to make them take the merchandise back and credit our account please let me know.

[email protected]

thanks...

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@STEPHANIE They are ruthless and they intentionally delay the process so that they don't have to take back the bad merchandise.

Christina Jul 18, 2008

While on a cruise in June 2008, my husband & went to DI in Cozumel looking for a loose diamond. We looked at several different diamonds before deciding on one. I was planning to put the new diamond in the setting I already had. The clerk at DI said they would put it in my setting & make a pendant out of the smaller diamond that I already had for no extra charge. We agreed to that & came back a couple of hours later to pick them up. I was very pleased with the results. After we got home, I made an appointment to get the diamond appraised. I began reading the reviews about DI on websites like this one & was beginning to feel very nervous that we had been scammed. Imagine my surprise when the diamond was appraised at twice what I paid for it. The clarity, cut, etc from our appraiser matched what DI had. Oh, I take that back - our appraiser had the size a little bit bigger than what DI had. The jeweler did not see any of the paperwork that DI had given us until after the appraisal was complete. He told us that everything he has appraised from Cozumel has been right on target - only one case of him appraising something at less than what the people paid for it. Needless to say, I would not hesitate to go back to DI.

• Gi
    Gina Canto Sep 20, 2008

HI:
    I USE TO WORK IN THIS COMPANY AROUND 7 YEARS, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR THAT LONG IN THESE COMPANY.

ABOUT JEWELRLY I CAN SAY THAT I DONT KNOW IF JEWELS ARE GOOD OR NOT.
    BUT THE WAY THEY TREAT THEIR EMPLOYEES IS THE WORST .
    I BELONG TO A HUGE GROUP OF PEOPLE THATHAS BEEN FIRED IN THE RECENT 4 YEARS WITHOUT NO PAY FOR ALL THE YEARS I WORKED .

I DONT KNOW IF THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY KNOW ABOUT IT, BUT MANY OF THE EMPLOYEES THAT WE ARE NOT LONGER WORKING JUST WANT TO BE PAID.
    I HOPE HE CAN READ THIS.

Gina canto

• Sg
    S. Goldston Oct 21, 2008

My husband and I purchased a diamond ring from Diamonds International while in Puerto Vallarta on a Carnival Cruise. I have no complaints about the ring quality. After returning home, though, I was disappointed to find the exact same ring, same number of diamonds, same quality diamonds, same 18k white gold setting, in the DI online website catalog for over $200 less than we paid in-store. I have no intention of contacting DI about this, I just feel like a heel. I don't think they should gouge tourists who don't have the luxury of going online to see if they will match their catalog price. It comes down to having jewelry knowledge. I won't ever buy jewelry from a place I can't drive to from now on or comparison shop beforehand. Lesson learned.

Marcus Schantz Nov 11, 2008

My wife and I were just on a Carnival cruise and like everyone else we were told by the on board buying expert how great Diamonds International was. We went into the DI store in Belize and we picked out a princess cut diamond and setting to upgrade the modest engagement ring I purchased when we first were married. After they set the diamond I noticed what looked like a scratch in the stone. Although it turned out to be an inclusion that was previously not visible it completely ruined the stone. In fact, it was ugly.

The staff and the buyer from Carnival were very eager to fix the problem as my wife had not seen the ring after it was mounted. Long story short they found another stone that was a little better quality so I paid $500 more. They said I was buying a 1.05 ct VS1 K color princess cut diamond. Total cost with the setting was $4500.00 and the stone is gorgeous.

When we got home I looked on the internet and found posts and complaints like this one that made me very worried. I quickly made an appointment to have it appraised and was stunned to find out it appraised at $7500.00. The gemologist estimate the weight at 1.07 ct. She rated it a VS2 but color I.

Under a microscope it's flawless to my eyes and the gemologist said it was a very, very nice stone. On another note, while I was picking out my wife's stone she was buying me a Breitling watch I had my eye on. The jewelry store I had her ring appraised at is also an authorized Breitling dealer and I found out she got a great deal on the watch too.

In summary, our experience with DI was outstanding and we would buy from them again without hesitation. But you need to really look at what you're buying very closely because I could have walked out of there with an ugly stone had I not looked carefully. I don't think they were trying to pull a fast one because the inclusion was not visible until the stone was mounted. And they were eager to make us happy.

• Je
    Jenae Nov 13, 2008

Our experience with DI was nothing less than a nightmare. While on a cruise to Cozumel Mexico we took the advice of our onboard shopper Rudy and with his "expert" help purchased a 1.5cts engagement ring for 7, 500. With the assurance that the EGL certification would come in the mail. Well we got home and waited for the paperwork. After a few weeks of no certificatoin I stated to get nervous and took the ring to be appraised. It was supposted to be a E color and SI1. It in fact was a I color and I2. Which in reality only made it worth 4, 000 at best. We called the company to begin the long process of a refund. We never signed the back of the recepit with the return policy, and it was never explained to us. It states that if it is appraised for 2 grades less on color or clarity then they would issue a refund. Well when I gave them the reports for our independent gemologist they said that it had to be appraised from a national lab. However national labs don't appraise stones already set in a setting. It was the battle of a lifetime. I was engaged and could not wear my engagement ring. It took over 3 monthes. Over 100 plus phones calles, over 50 emails. Dealt with around 15 people working for DI and the threat of a law suit to get a refund. I can't believe that this company is still in business and selling "junk" jewlery! I would be happy to share all of the knowledge that I have learned through this ordeal with others. Post your email and I will be happy to email you with some tips to getting justice!

• Ms
    ms corgi Aug 26, 2019

@Jenae I want to get a class action suit going. mysafetycounts @yahoo.com
    Pls email me

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@ms corgi I am in, please let me know how to join in this is horrific, they are scum.

@Jenae [email protected]

@gma.papa I’m in also.
    [email protected]

gma.papa Jan 27, 2020

@DunnL my email is [email protected], you can contact me, I don't know how to get in touch with you

• Sw
    swindled Jan 22, 2009

My husband and I just returned from Nassau, Bahamas on a cruise. We purchased a solitaire ring, .56 ct, H color, SI2 Clarity and paid $1500. I thought we were getting a "great buy" as the cruise line told us we would but when I got home I compared prices online and it appears I could have purchased the same ring for much less. I definitely feel swindled and have tried to contact DI several times by phone and left messages but have never received a returned call. I could try harder but it seems by the other comments, it won't do me much good. I do like the stone, I just wish I could have paid less for it. I guess I've learned a valuable lesson. Don't buy from DI!!!

• Ri
    Ripped Off Mar 01, 2009

In 2008, while on a cruise, my wife and I stopped into a Diamonds International store on St. Thomas Island. The Carnival cruise line was heavily pushing everyone to go to Diamonds International, saying they had the best deals. We priced a new engagement ring at $18, 000.00, we had been married for 30 years and it was time for an upgrade. After much squabbling over price and speaking directly to the manager we finally got the price down to $12, 000.00. I felt on top of the world! When we got home we had it appraised for our home insurance coverage and were we horrified when it was aprraised at $4500.00. Talk about feeling ripped-off!

• Ev
    evrenseven Mar 31, 2009

Diamonds International is clearly a scam. The greasy, sleazy sales expert aboard "mariner of the seas" had the entire crowd of grotesquely obese mouth breathers from the fly- over states eating out of the palm of his hand when he pumped dance music as he hyped DI during the shopping presentation. One woman threw her baby in the air. I'll repeat that. SHE THREW HER BABY IN THE AIR.

My point is, if you went and bought a diamond from a store you had never heard of before, you probably deserved to get ripped off. C'mon, people. Has anyone heard of Mexico or Alaska or any other cruise destination being famous for diamonds?

They offer tequila shots while making your purchase decision. That's the same thing frat boys do to incoming freshman girls to get in their pants.

Bet you had the same feeling the next morning after buying from DI.

• Pj
    pjbtulsa Apr 13, 2009

I am looking for anyone and everyone who would be interested in joining me in a class action lawsuit against Diamonds International. You may contact me @ [email protected]

Pam

• Ke
    Kelvin KOCH Jul 28, 2019

@pjbtulsa Pam, we also purchased DI jewelry that was appraised well under what we purchased it for. They are definitely scammers. Please let us know how we can join a class action lawsuit! Thanks. Kelvin

• Te
    teeder27 Aug 13, 2009

I just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise in which I had stopped into the Diamonds International location in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. I purchased a men's Titanium Bracelet and was assured that I was getting the lowest price possible. I negotiated with them for an hour and felt satisfied that I did ok, so I purchased it. I get home to the states and check the DI website, only to find out that what I had purchased, exact item, was $400 cheaper online. I have opened a complaint file with DI and am waiting for them to reply back with what they are going to do to rectify the situation. I have also informed Royal Caribbean about this issue, and to my surprise, the rep told me that there have been many other issues with DI lately- It would have been nice to know that before I went in there and spent my money. DI has also tried to run multiple transactions on my credit card for the original purchase, some in different countries. Luckily my credit card company has put a fraud alert on that card and stopped all purchases from going through. This is the first, last and only time that I will ever deal with Diamonds International!

• Mo
    Monica<3 Nov 08, 2009

Notice there are no complaints about Diamonds Internationals Key West or Alaska locations, but all from the caribbean?

@Monica<3 That's because they are Pirates

• Ol
    OldPine Nov 21, 2009

It's still going on. St. Maarten location, overpromising, undergrading, overcharging. Our battle is just beginning.

• Ki
    Kingdiamonds Jan 14, 2010

My husband and I returned from a wonderful trip to Cozumel, and purchased a beautiful ring there. It is in the shape of a snowflake, with a Blue Diamond in the center with smaller white ones surrounding it. I have had many compliments on the color, clarity, etc. After returning home, I took my ring to my family jeweler and had it appraised, and looked over. The ring is a definite investment, the stones were impeccable, and the gold was high grade! My experience was a plus in my book! The service there was awesome, and I feel for what I paid, and what it appraised, I came out ahead. I will definitely do a return visit when I'm there!

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@Kingdiamonds If you got out alive then you should just be thankful, but be warned, and do not trust.

• St
    stephen199 Jun 07, 2010

HELLO.MY FRIENDS PARENTS JUST WERE RIPPED OF 20, 000$YES THATS RIGHT!I HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THIS COMPANY.DOES ANYONE WANNA JOIN TOGETHER AND BRING A CAASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM.IT WILL BE HARD BUT IF YOU DONT GIVE UP YOU WILL WIN.MY NAME IS STEPHEN.EMAIL ME AT [email protected], MY FRIENDS PARENTS ARE FIRST GENERATION AMERICANS AND WERE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BY THIS COMPANY WHILE THEY WERE ON A CRUISE VACATION THUS RUINING THE SECOND FAMILY VACATION THEY HAVE EVER HAD.

• Jc
    jcc1837 Sep 23, 2010

Unfortuneately I checked all good judgement at the door of this company and also fell prey to the misrepresentation made by the cruise lines shopping assistant. Any reputable company does not have to have all the ridiculous terms and conditions for refunding which tells me they know they are crooks and are covering their behind! My appraiser calls them "genious" for coming up with it and they certainly have done their homework.

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@jcc1837 If you can't trust your Jeweler, then don't buy. I fell for it and am not happy.

DunnL Jan 13, 2020

@gma.papa I did too & wasn’t even shopping. Now I’m stuck with almost 6, 000 debt. I live off 2, 000/month

• Hr
    HR37 Apr 17, 2011

We purchased a diamond ring at Diamonds International and after returning home and having it appraised we found out that insterad of a color H it was a J. I hae asked for a refund, but they say they are looking for a replacement stone. Does anyone have any tips of how to get the refund that is guarnateed on the back of their receipt? We did not sign the guarantee and no one explained it to us while we were there. however, it doesn't seem that they want to comply with their own guarantee. If anyone has any tips, I would apprecite hearing them.

• Di
    Disappointed Crusier Aug 04, 2012

My husband and I also purchased a diamond three stone ring from Diamonds International on our Carnival Cruise to Cozumel. The ring was $8700 and once home I decided to return the ring. On the website it clearly states that 30 days is permitted for refunds or exchanges. I notified them 20 days after the purchase to be told a week later an exchange was my only option only after I mailed it back to them. If they will rip you off by only offering an exchange in 20 days what other games would they play once they had possession of the ring? I kept the ring since it seemed to be my only option but beware! Only by your jewelry from local jewelers with a good reputation and not a company that has shady business practices.

• Di
    DiZE Nov 25, 2012

Do not listen to the cruise staff who direct you to "acceptable and vetted" retails stores. I bought 2 Movado watches at DI in Cabo this past October, and found VERY similar watches at my local big box store for $150 less, each watch. I would not recommend any buy anything at the DI stores, nor would I recommend listening to the cruise staff.

• Ro
    RochelleLynn Dec 31, 2012

I purchased a 6.70 caret Tanzanite bracelet from Di In Cozemel. The bracelet I saw before it was wrapped and boxed was medium blue in color to light blue. Once I got back on the ship and opened the box, It was light, light blue to voilet in color which is a lessor valued stone color in tanzanite.While in the store, I had asked for the email address of the store manager to check with him on another purchase. I emailed him and have received no answer. I am in the process now of trying to get a replacement item. Any suggestions for who to contact and how to go about it other than the obvious.

Marco1tx Nov 14, 2013

Overf the last 3-4 yrs I have made purchases from DI in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman at prices ranging from $1, 500 to $8, 500. Back home all the pieces have appraised for considerably more than I paid from them - one item was valued at triple the purchase price. Reading all the posts on this site, I guess the important thing is to negotiate the best possible deal and only buy an item if you really love it and are hapoy with the price you pay.

AnthonyVee Dec 16, 2013

NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy Tanzanite Stones from Diamonds International. They are worthless. My wife and I were suckered into buying a small stone on one island and then upgrading the size of the stone on another island. We were duped into believing this was a great deal and investment by the Cruise Ship's Entertainment Director who gave presentation after presentation on how good a deal this was. He was even inside the Diamonds International Store when we arrived. What a scam. We paid $44, 000 - that's right 44 thousand American Dollars for a stone they said was worth a lot more, only to find out the stone was worth $7500. What a disaster. They will not take the stone back. They are a terrible company and I am doing everything I can to let the world know about their tactics. They flat out robbed us!!!

• Sc
    Scott Lev Feb 05, 2014

My wife and I were taken by this company (Diamonds International) as well. We purchased a ring for $17k and the ring irritated my wife's finger. At the time of purchase (Jan.2014) we were told by the sales clerk that it was pure 14k gold and she assured us that we would not have an allergic reaction because we did advise her that my wife suffers from sensitive skin. We went ahead and made the purchase based on the cruise line's recommendation (Royal Caribbean) and felt comfortable with the decision. Now Royal Caribbean wants nothing to do with this and Diamonds International is not willing to return my $17, 000. They are offering to remake the ring in Platinum (which I am confident they will return me inferior quality stones) or they are offering a $17, 000 store credit!!! Really??????? These are nothing but common thieves and I caution everyone to stay far away from this company. My credit card company is getting my money back because of false representation but, you shouldn't have to go through the trouble!!! STAY AWAY!!!

No return policy - scams Feb 15, 2014

I agree with the previous complain. I bought a ring in February, 2014, and I got home find out that the ring prongs snag my clothes. They would not allow me to return the ring. They don't have a return policy. They are scams and the cruise ship, royal Caribbean is backing this company. I will never buy anything from them again. They are scammers. They say they will fix the prongs, but I am not sure what they will do. I don't trust them. Stay away...

Mary Minnehan Apr 04, 2014

I purchased a 2 carat stone from DI in 2012. I had it set in my setting and it was delivered to me. I paid $18, 850 for the stone. I looked at the diamond very carefully and remember the clerk telling me why should you pay more for the other 2 carat I was looking at when you can't see any flaws in this one! When I had it appraised at my family run jewelry store the stone was worth $13, 000. You can see 4 flaws with the naked eye. I believe the stone was switched before it was set in my setting. Never buy from Diamonds International!! The color and clarity are poor quality. What a rip off!!

• Cj
    cjsrn1 May 27, 2014

Bought tanzanite ring from Tanzanite International-will have ring appraised but am sure it will not appraise for what it said. However, friend also made a "deal" for a ring and earrings. Salesman boss was clearly upset with deal he made with her. The day after we left St. Maarten, she went to the pool and where they "sized" her ring(all the way up to the setting), it tarnished. She then went to the customer service on the ship to make a complaint and talk with the "ship shopper" and of course she was not available. They told my friend to make a copy of receipt and they would start a complaint. She had never made a purchase like that and then to have this happen was devastating. The cruise line(Royal Caribbean) and Tanzanite/Diamonds International should be ashamed of themselves about ripping people off of their hard earned money.

marjess Jun 24, 2014

i
    my boyfriend & i were on vacation in grand cayman island when he decided to propose. we looked at engagement rings at the diamonds international & compared several. we thought it over & selected a beautiful diamond ring that makes me very happy even though upon returning home & having it appraised professionally it's actual value was $2, 000 less than what we paid. we were not pleased at all however the diamond is what it says it is on the e.g.l. paperwork. as with any major purchase we should all be careful & do the research first. diamonds international definitely overcharged us & i will not rush in to purchase from them again however my ring is stunning & my vacation memories are priceless...my future husband may feel a bit more resentful...this can happen anywhere with any large purchase

• Ti
    TinyCharly Sep 17, 2014

While on a cruise to Alaska i was over whelmed by the beauty of the Crown of light diamond ring, the next day I tried to return it to be told I could not because of Customs ( please I'm not stupid we are in the US ). Anyway be careful go anywhere but into a Diamond International store ...

• Ji
    jim hall sr. Sep 21, 2014

we purchased a $849 ring with a crown of light diamond in it that they were promoting on the carnival cruise. a year later on another cruise, we took the ring back to sell it to them, to upgrade my wifes enguagement ring stone. they told us we had to spend a minimum of over double the value of the ring to do an upgrade, which we were not told about. but was shown in the fine print on the back of the reciept. we were not told of this by carnival cruises, they said only we could use the value of the purchase towards the upgrade, nothing about having to spend more than double to get it. the diamond market has dropped, we have tried to sell the ring, and was told we would be lucky to get 1/4 of it's face value, even though it has been appraised at the sale price as good.

• Fl
    flochow Oct 07, 2014

I purchased a Movado Watch from Diamonds International in Costa Rica in July 2014, while on a cruise. I put the watch on that night to go to Dinner, and realized, after dinner, that the watch was not working. Because there are no stores available, I sent the watch back to their corporate office in New York, requesting a refund. They informed me that they do not give refunds and I need to contact the manufacturer, because the watch has a warranty. I did not purchase a used or refurbished watch. I purchased a brand new watch that was represented to be in working condition. I did not get what I paid for.
    This company is a rip off. Their merchandise is overpriced, their customer service sucks, and they do not give a damn about the consumer..You will have to take legal action to get any results from them.

• Mi
    Michael S. Walter, Ph.D. Aug 04, 2015

Diamond's International is an unethical institution that need to be driven out of business. Their guarantees are worthless an their refusal to take back merchandise that was purchased by sales personnel that used psychological manipulations to gain a sale. I recommend that all jewelry shoppers avoid entering Diamond's International.

• Mi
    Mike W1953 Sep 21, 2015

I was a case where unethical and psychological abuse was used by 4 salesman including the head store manager in Juneau Alaska where after being pressured by the unethical salesmen I walked out of the store a completely psychologically beaten man with jewelry I didn't want. I spoke with the managers at Katchekan and Skagway Alaska where in Skagway the manager called customer service in New York and I was guaranteed a full refund which turned out to be a lie. Diamonds International is a company built on unethical business practice with their only intent being to make money not to serve the public. I will never again enter an Diamond's International Store for the rest of my life. I have also advised Diamond's International that I have no intention of paying for the jewelry and will file under the fair lending act with the credit bureaus complaining of unfair tactics to make a sale. Diamond's International can either take back the jewelry of make a donation to me for unethical sales techniques.

• Lo
    Lorrrie Dec 14, 2015

Scammed also on size of tanzanite in a ring. We returned home and too it to jeweler sand he said no way. After numerous phone calls and shipping it to New York they finally took it back because it stated wrong weight on my deceit. Buyers beware !! I did get a store credit rather then the return of my money, but we would have rather spent our money anywhere else. Avoid that place to buy .

• Ta
    Tanya Footman Jun 17, 2016

Hello, I hope that someone can help me. I just returned from a Carnival cruise to Grand Turk and like many of you was prompted to purchase jewelry from DI as the cruise line promoted it. I purchased a Crown of Light ring for $2950.00. When I reached home, I quickly had it appraised since I was assured that it would value more from the sales rep. To my dismay, the ring was appraised for $600.00 by two independent appraisers. I feel sick as this is a major purchase to me and something I wanted to purchase for myself as sort of a gift. I never spend this kind of money on myself, but felt that I should treat myself. No DI, Carnival and the finance company will not assist in returning the ring and canceling the contract. I have not even had the ring a week and refuse to wear it. The cruise lines should be held liable for running a scam such as this. I know no one put a gun to my head, but I did trust the cruise reps. If anyone can help me, I would surely appreciate and will never, ever do anything like this again!

• Re
    rebar Aug 10, 2016

My wife and I got caught in the same Diamond internation's snares and lies. Diamond international sold us some jewelries with the notion that their jewelries were price worthy and will be worth even more in the near future. So, we were so excited, we went on and purchased their jewelries, when when we came to States, we went to one of the top Jewelries stores to re-appraise the diamond international jewelries, came to find out that their jewelries were worthless. So, since we were in between our 30 days, we called them, asked that we want to returned their jewelries.. oh boy those people turned us back in forth, refused our demand. They made a deal with us of $1, 500 plus a gift certificate, and for us to pay the rest of the money. We said no because, we did not believe them, second we did not want to deal with them anymore after all these frauds. Now, they messed up my excellent credit, and send me dept collectors.

gma.papa Nov 27, 2019

@rebar I did everything to get an RMA within the first 10 days then the bank colluded with Diamonds International to stall us until the 30 days were up. Lies all Lies.

@gma.papa Did u get a RMA? I need it now

gma.papa Jan 27, 2020

@DunnL sorry for the delay, I posted my email address so that you can contact me.

DunnL Jan 27, 2020

@gma.papa Sorry where is it?

DunnL Jan 28, 2020

@gma.papa Where is your email?

gma.papa Jan 31, 2020

@DunnL I sent you a private message, that included my phone number

DunnL Jan 31, 2020

@gma.papa Yes, I believe I got it. Sorry I’ve been busy. I was dealing with some of my mess today, but I will call you soon. Hope things are well. Thanks so much for giving to me. We’ll talk about situations.
    Linda

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices