Diamonds International Logo

Diamonds International

Having problems with Diamonds International?

Diamonds International reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jan 18, 2007. The latest review Diamond ring was posted on Jan 29, 2021. The latest complaint di - overpriced and unfortunately overpaid for jewelry set; ripped off. was resolved on Apr 19, 2017. Diamonds International has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 110 reviews. Diamonds International has resolved 33 complaints.

Diamonds International Customer Service Contacts

Thu9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Diamonds International Customer Service. Initial Diamonds International complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Diamonds International above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Diamonds International. Discuss the issues you have had with Diamonds International and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Diamonds International Complaints & Reviews

Diamonds Internationalunethical behavior

On 10/21/15 I purchased a pair of diamond stud earrings at Diamonds International in St. Thomas while on a RC cruise. I paid $3500 for them. I asked for the paperwork but was told DI was paperless and they would email the documents to me. I provided my work place email. I signed as indicated on digital screen, believing I was signing for the credit card authorization. As I waited for my purchase to be approved, the sales manager approached me and said there was a problem with the setting and they would need to send the earrings off site to have the settings replaced. I was asked to return 2 hrs. Later. I did; earrings weren't ready. I waited another hour. Finally, the salesman approached me, gave me an earring to put on, then the other. He held the mirror for me to look at one side, then the other. When I returned to the ship and took the earrings out of my lobes, I was shocked to see the pair wasn't even a matched pair of earrings - one was much smaller and you could detect the yellow in it easily. I went to the lady who had arranged for the Express Shopping experience on the ship, and she said not to worry, DI would make it good at St. Maarten the next day. So I took my earrings back to DI at St. Maarten but was told without the paperwork there was nothing they could do - I didn't have the paperwork and even though I tried to access my email from their computer, I could not access it. DI wanted to sell me another pair for an additional $1575 even though I did not have any documents describing the quality of the studs I already purchased (and which were obviously switched by DI when they "repaired" the settings off site). I refused to negotiate until I received paperwork although DI insisted they could not access that info; finally, after I refused to leave the store and go upstairs to hide (I guess they were afraid I would create a scene and drive customers away), the Customer Service (what a laugh) manager called NY and got them to fax the paperwork to them. It was then I first read the conditions that applied to the 30 day money back "guarantee". The signature I thought I was placing to authorize the charge was used to sign the documents stating I had reviewed the Terms and Conditions - although I had never even seen a copy of it and stating I agreed with the terms. It also stated I had received a copy of the Appraisal - but I of course had never seen the appraisal. Upon looking at the documents while in DI at St. Maarten once they were finally faxed to them from NY, I discovered the studs were not the quality I had been lead to believe at the time I purchased them. I finally negotiated for another pair of studs, bigger but the color and clarity wasn't what I had been told the first pair had been, but I paid an additional $1, 000. When I got home I had the studs appraised - wasn't too surprised to learn the "appraisal" DI gave me was far off from the one I paid for at a local jewelers. I am trying to return them for a full refund, but the strict requirements in the Terms and Conditions makes it nearly impossible. They require you get an appraisal from a someone who does not sell, buy or trade in gems and is appraising only but not in the market itself. In my small hometown, that isn't possible. I finally found one in Georgia, nearly at the Alabama border (I live in SC) and took my studs there for an appraisal. This person's appraisal showed my studs to be a better color and clarity than the first jeweler's appraisal, and although not the carat weight I thought I was getting it did indicate I had better quality diamonds than what was shown on the DI appraisal form and that the replacement value was $1, 200 over what I had paid for them. I'm not sure what I'll do now; the independent appraiser's assessment of the studs does not fall within DI's guideline for a refund - they state the color and/or clarity must be 2 levels or more off. In all, this has been a very bad experience and one I will never repeat. St. Thomas is a US Territory, so I wonder if some action can be taken against them, such as a class action be filed against these rip off artists.

• D1
      D1T Mar 26, 2016

Hi, I am in the same boat as you all are. I purchased an three stone upgrade for my diamond solitaire back on October 2012. OMG, it was the worst just as you all talking about. I went to the DI in Nassau and they increased mine price by $100.00 and then lied about the carat size only to find out it was not the full .50 only .43 and the diamonds fall out all the time. I have spent more money in s&h to NYC then what the ring is worth. I will never ever buy anything from them again and I have not. The cruise ship is very misleading, I wish they would tell the truth about Diamonds International, I know I do. I tell everyone I know whey they ask about my ring. I tell them all. My diamond has fallen out to many times to count. I am glad that I am not the only one, but I wish we were not taken advantage like this.

• Na
      Nancy1313 Jan 28, 2016

From talking with the Cruise Lines, they are acting like they want to wash their hands of these complains regarding Diamonds International. I am sure they are getting big bucks for promoting the DI jewelry and they don't want to lose this. They should get up during their "Jewelry Presentations" and advise all their loyal cruise customers who spend sometimes their years savings to take a cruise, to "BEWARE" and do your research on pricing their pieces before they get talked into getting something they can't go back and get a refund for.

• Ge
      Georgeannoyed Jan 20, 2016

Hi, same thing happened to us, they should be held on account for their devious actions

• Db
      dburbs Jan 04, 2016

I am in the same boat with a Diamond Necklace I purchased from the DI in Aruba in November. Had the appraisal done and it is $1300 less than I paid for the item! We should get together, as I am leaning toward a class action suit, along with filing a compliant with the NY attorney general's office! This is ridiculous! And onboard media should be ashamed of themselves for endorsing these crooks via these Onboard Shopping guides!! If you want to 'chat' offline, let me know. I live in Va. Beach, VA and am happy to give you email and phone. There is strength in numbers :)

Diamonds International — refuse to refund although merchandise has been returned

Within hours of my purchase, I asked to return my merchandise with refund. I discovered it was untrue that...

Diamonds International — crown of light pendant

I wish I had read this page before going on a cruise 2 years ago. I had no intentions of buying any...

Diamonds International — sale of over graded diamonds

Let me start off with I have made several purchases from here on previous cruises and my purchases have...

Diamond International — False appraisal

I purchased jewelry at Diamond International in Puerto Vallarta while on a cruise. The tanzanite bracelet had...

Puerto Vallarta

Diamonds International — diamonds international - fraudulent

June 24, 2014<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> To Whom It...

Diamonds Internationalovercharged

Don't buy diamonds unless you know the value. I made an impulsive and uninformed purchase while I was on a cruise and went to a Diamonds International at Turks and Caicos. The store had a "70% off" sale on. The store's price for the ring I wanted was almost $18, 000. I asked for guidance from the shopping expert from the cruise. I know they get kickbacks but I thought he would still provide helpful advice and be honest. When I returned to Canada, I was told that I overpaid by almost $2, 000. Additionally, they reported the diamonds to be of higher clarity and colour than they really were. In the end, I bought a diamond I liked and I will definitely use it, I just regret making an impulsive and uninformed decision which ended up costing me more than it should have. Don't make the same mistake.

Diamonds International — rip off line of credit

I purchased a diamond from this company and only wanted a $1000.00 line of credit. Without my consent I wa...

Diamonds Internationalhorrible service and worthless return policy

Yes it's long but read it before you shop at diamonds international.
      We took a norwegian epic cruise in march 2013. I went through the shopping seminar given on the cruise ship. The one benefit of attending was getting vip cards that gave you additional discounts at “trusted” retailers. We arrived at the diamonds international harbor village store (st. Maarten) early morning. Nick was our sales consultant. We found a 1.50 ct tw three-diamond ring in yellow gold. We weren’t planning on getting a ring that day. We just wanted to see the best price we could get and compare it to the ship’s best price ($6800). Well, the salespeople are very good. If you say something like, “this is our first store and that sounds like a good price but we’d like to check around”, they’ll always start by saying “can I ask you a question?” and then ask what it would take to buy right now or, “early morning customers get the best pricing. Give me a minute and let me see what I can do”. So he returns, gives me a price and I lay down the vip card. “oh, you have a vip card. Let me get the manager shasi.” well shasi is out behind the store talking to a woman. We wait and wait. He then gets on his phone. I’m told he’s calling new york trying to get me the best price. He finally comes over, drops the price, and says this is the best price you will get from any store. I’m still hesitant. So he offers to call todd from norwegian because he suggests I ask todd if the price is really that good. Todd and nichole are the “shopping consultants” on the epic. So I wait some more and finally todd gets on the phone and tells me that di typically discounts about 65% off retail. Their price to me of $2395 (add $47 for credit card foreign transaction fee) is 75% off retail so I am definitely getting a good deal. So after an hour in the store, we decide to buy. The ring itself has round diamonds and has color of h-j and si1-si2 clarity. The inclusions are easily seen with a loupe. We leave the store and walk around st. Maarten while the ring is getting sized. Just before going back to the ship in early afternoon, I stop in majesty jewelers to see if I can find the same ring. Sure enough, same color range, si1-si2 and 1.49ct. Vs. 1.50ct. He takes the ring out of the case and while my wife is verifying it’s the same ring, I lay down my vip card for majesty jewelers. Within 30 seconds I get a price of $2250. No haggling, no “let me get the manager”, no 20 questions, just their best price direct from the sales consultant. I thanked him and said no, went back to di to pick up the ring and complained. All nick could do was to say majesty’s price was below cost and they would tack on additional fees for sizing and whatever else. I don’t know if that’s true. Also beware that they will offer to send all the paperwork direct to your home via postal mail. This is supposedly done so customs won’t be able to find any proof that you bought the diamonds and they won’t be able to tax you. So I agreed to have them send it to my house. They put all the paperwork in an envelope and I wrote my home address on it. Three and a half weeks later, I still don’t have the paperwork. So I search the web for the phone number for the st. Maarten store. Nothing. I call the 800 number and i’m given a number with a [protected]) country code. The number doesn’t work. Searching the web, I find out that beginning sept 2011, st. Maarten began to change over to the 721 area code.in sept 2012, the 599 area code no longer worked. So the people who answer the 800 number on the web are still giving out the wrong phone number?? I go home that evening and look at the charge card receipt. Sure enough, it still says the country code is 599. Really? It’s six months after the new 721 area code has become mandatory! After three days of trying to reach nick, I called friday morning and got voicemail that says “this person cannot be reached at the moment….” really? A standard voice mail greeting that doesn’t even acknowledge that you’ve reached di? Does this sound like a well-run company? I believe di says that if the ring appraises for less than the sales price they’ll take it back. While we are waiting for the paperwork to arrive we had it appraised at a local jeweler. True, it was appraised for a little more than what we paid. However, the jewelry store owner told my wife he’d never sell anything of such low quality. That and the fact that we never received the sales papers from di in the mail caused us think about returning the ring. The paper work has the terms and conditions of sale and more importantly it had the clarity, color etc. So to compare the color and clarity from the local jewelry store appraisal, I need the paperwork from diamonds int’l. I’ve got 30 days to make a return and still no paperwork from di. I called the di office in new york in inquire about the return policy. Get this: for returned items that you purchase in-store (as opposed to online) you get store credit! So if you just spent all your money on the cruise, alcohol, confiscatory tipping and a diamond ring, you might not have the money to take another cruise to exchange your ring. The moral of the story is skip the hassle and sales rituals at di and go somewhere else. If you are happy with your purchase great, if you ever have to contact them or have an issue, be prepared to spend a lot of time and agony getting what you want. Btw, I received my paperwork on the 31st day after the purchase. Sound suspicious? They knew we were not happy and despite being told that the paperwork would leave st. Maarten in the envelope that I had personally handwritten my address on, it finally came to me in a completely different envelope straight from new york. I believe this was done on purpose to prevent us from returning the ring within 30 days.

Diamonds International - Cozumel — jewelry fraud

March 10, 2013 American express Inquiry number: wr96710 I am sending this letter to you in reference to...

Diamond Internationalripped off

While in cozumel last month my husband and I purchased a forevermark diamond at diamond international. Adam the cruise shopping guide, said they were very reputable and with the vip shopping card we would receive the best price. He also told us that royal caribbean stood behind each and every purchase.

So we were confident that the $25, 000 diamond we purchased was what di said it was. Once we returned to the us we took the diamond in for an appraisal. My stomach flipped when the appraiser told us that the diamond would sell in the states for approximately $16, 500. Omg...$8500 less than what we paid.

I contacted royal caribbean, opened a claim with them, as well as one with di. The end result was a $5000 refund (take it or leave it). I'm still not happy but was glad to get some of my money back. The diamond is still not worth what I paid. The question you have to ask is... How could they give me a refund without batting an eye? The answer... They know they are scamming people. They just don't want royal c not recommending them anymore. Buyer beware! Terrible experience.

Diamonds Interanationalrip off

Rip off warning to all cruise customers!
          Absolutely avoid trusting any cruise ship sales representatives who recommend diamonds international. Cruise lines receive a hefty kick - back. Prices @ di are high retail - there are no exceptions and no returns. They are not better business bureau accredited. Complaints of over-charges, inferior products and faulty diamonds have been reported to the bbb

Diamonds Internationaldiamonds international is a scam!

Diamonds international is a scam! Beware! Do not go to any of their branches in the caribbean! I visited their store branch at nassau, bahamas in june 2012, and bought a 3-stone oval shaped diamond ring. When I bought the ring, I was assured and told by the salesperson and her manager that the ring I was buying have good quality diamonds on it.in my mind, a “good” quality diamond is at least an si1 or above, and that is why I negotiated, bought, and paid for the ring for the price of $7, 100. I had asked for an appraisal to ensure that the diamonds on the ring I was buying was in fact a “good” quality diamond. They had informed me that they will issue and give me the appraisal when I had already paid/bought the ring. They had asked me to pay the ring ahead of time and go back to the store to pick it up after they were done sizing it up and converting it to white gold. When I went and picked up the ring, the store was closing for the day, giving me no time to inspect the ring and review the appraisal. When I got to my hotel, I was disappointed when I saw the appraisal that indicated the diamonds are i3 quality (which this rating does not even exist on the official gemologist rating system). The next day, I immediately called the store, and spoke to an andy from their customer service, informing them of my disappointment and wanted to return the ring. They told me that they cannot accept a return unless I have an return merchandise authorization. They had advised me to call their 800-number on the back of the receipt. I contacted them numerous times, pleaded my case, negotiated an exchange for a better quality ring, but they refused to help me, and will not refund my money back! These people are plain scammers! Do not make a mistake of buying any type of jewelry from them, they will rip you off!

ANTIRAGHEAD Jan 29, 2013

Contact the FBI in New York City and report Diamonds International and or their credit card bank if included in the scam. Diamonds International is being investigated. We as American Citizens need to flood the FBI and out state senators to help put this company down and have the owners indicted. Report this issue with all document or at least your complete story When DI goes to trial you want your name added to the list.

Diamonds International — scam with carnival cruise lines

I just returned from a visit with a certified gemologist who looked at the ring I bought in Nassau from...

Diamonds Internationalcustomer service

I you have a problem with Daimonds International I would suggest that you contact the people at JVC at www.jvclegal.org They can help you get some resolution to your problems with this company. I have worked with them and the $100 fee is excellent value for everything they can do for you. Peter

Jewelers Vigilance Committee (JVC), is the sole legal compliance expert in the jewelry industry; established 1917 to educate and protect all levels of the jewelry industry against liability, litigation and to stop negative publicity. JVC is considered the industry’s leading authority on legal compliance and is a champion of safeguarding the industry’s integrity.

Consumer Complaints
              Most jewelry buying experiences are pleasant ones and lead to a long-lasting relationship between the buyer and the seller. However, from time to time, there are questions or problems that might arise.

Should difficulties arise after the sale is completed, your first step should be to talk with the seller. If that proves fruitless and you feel outside intervention is necessary, you may contact the JVC for assistance.

STEPS TO SUBMIT A COMPLAINT

1. All complaints MUST be submitted in writing and mailed or faxed (if less than five pages) to the JVC.

2. You MUST enclose copies of documentation to support your claim (i.e. advertising, sales receipts, initial order forms, take in sheets, correspondence, etc.) Send copies only!

3. There is a filing fee of $100, a one time fee to offset administrative costs (i.e. postage, telephoning, faxing). Again, using JVC's services is much less costly than hiring an attorney. (Please make your check or money order payable to the JVC.)

4. The person filing the complaint is kept apprised as new developments occur.

Should the above information

25 West 45th Street, Suite 1406
              New York, NY 10036

• Ga
                  Gary Schmauss Jun 22, 2016

My name is Gary Schmauss, my wife and I took a cruise to Mazatlán and was told there was a Diamond International there. It was not in a conveinant area, so we had to take a taxi there. When we got to the supposed address, there was a different store there, and we were told Diamond International had not been there for over 5 years, We went there to get the charm for my wife's and my sisters charm bracelet. It cost me $25 to get there and back to our ship. My wife made telephone contact with someone in customer service over a month ago. They had told her that they were sorry for the problem and told her they would send her the charms (2). As of today, June 22, we have not received them, I would appreciate looking into this error and sending them as soon as possible. We have enjoyed visiting your stores in 6 different stops before and even done some shopping there. We would appreciate your prompt solution to this problem. Mr Gary Schmauss
                  3300 E Broadway Rd #185
                  Mesa, Az 85204
                  [protected]

ANTIRAGHEAD Jan 29, 2013

Diamonds International — sells diamonds 100% over market value

Wish I had found this info before purchasing from DI on cruise. Bought several items--all apprased at half...

Diamonds Internationaldiamond fell out in 8 days

I also lost a diamond out of my $3500.00 ring in 8 days. And other diamonds were loose and about to come out too. Contacted Diamonds International and they wanted to repair it or give me a store credit. I only wanted to return the ring and get my money back.

First thing I did was to take the ring to 3 different jewerly repairmen/appraisals to find out why diamonds would be falling out of a $3500.00 ring in 8 days. I got documents from them in writing that it is a design defect and if the ring is repaired with a new diamond, the diamonds will continue to fall out in days, because the prongs were not sufficient to hold diamonds.

I then contacted my credit card company to dispute the chage. it took months with the dispute going back and forth with them and with Diamonds International. At first they agreed with Diamonds International that I could only get a "store credit" or "repair." I was not going to take a store credit and I wanted my refund and nothing else would do for me.

But the real secret is on the back of the sales slip that says "N0 REFUNDS FOR BUYERS REMORSE." It does not say "NO REFUNDS."

My credit card company at first did not actually read every word and just took Diamonds International statement that they did not give refunds. But I insisted that the sales slip says "No refunds for buyers remorse" meaning I just changed my mind. It does not say "No Refunds."

I got my refund!

• Ka
                    Karen Sharpe Feb 13, 2016

I'm devastated. I purchased a chocolate diamond only 3 days ago in Grand Cayman and arrived back in U.K. Only today to see a missing diamond. Was so happy with it now we have the hassle of getting a refund as I feel so disappointed I don't want it repairing.

Comments

• La
                    Lass1000 Dec 29, 2011

I hope this is the same outcome for me. I have a similar issue with them. I purchased a diamond from them and got it home and it does not match the EGL-USA appraisal that was given to me prior to my purchase. Diamonds International is arguing that they only do store credit and not a refund because color and clarity being off by more than one grade is the only case they do refunds. I have the same dispute going. It does NOT say "no refund" It does say no refunds due to buyer's remorse" and "no refunds will be given due to a discrepancy in value" I mean, you can't sell someone a Ferrari and give them a VW bug and then say...sorry no refund, you can have a store credit. If an item is "not as described" they have to refund you money. There are laws regarding this. I made my purchase in Mexico, and even it Mexico, bait and switch is illegal!

Diamond Internationalwatch

I am a very unhappy customer of diamond international. I bought a watch from the store in st. Marteen when I was on a cruise. I was told that the watch was a new watch and all hyped with the cruise and the little time you get to shop, I purchased the watch. On my return I examined the watch and found it to be used watch. The strap was dirty at the back and had turned a different color. The engraving at the back was dirty showing that someone had worn the watch for a long time. Upon contacting the new york office of diamond international I was told that they would get back to me. I waited for 3-4 days and contacted them again and was told that the watch could not be returned and they could not do anything further. We contacted the store in st. Marteen and spoke to the salesperson who sold the watch and was told that he would get back to me. After another 3 days I contacted the store again and they said that they would change the strap and clean it to make it look like new. I paid $11900 for a new gold watch, not one that someone has to clean to make it look like new. This company is scamming and cheating people. Please do not buy from them.

Diamonds Internationalring

Beware of diamonds international. I bought a ring in grand caymans because of hype by royal caribbean cruises. As soon as I got home one diamond fell out. Sent it for repair and got ring back. Next thing I know the diamond is gone again. This time I send it back and pay $50 for the repair and the ring comes back exactly as I had sent it, no repair done. Then I contact them to tell them the ring wasn't repaired and several days later the contact emails me and says he doesn't know what the problem is because the ring was repaired. I inform him it wasn't and finally he believes me and gives me instructions to send back. I send back and ask for reimbursement of cost of insuring and resending it for second time. He agrees to this if I send the amount. Then I finally get ring back and no reimbursement. Fighting since august and its now november and he now wants a copy of the receipt, not just the total cost as asked for before. I have now sent the receipt copy and threatened to call my solicitor for breach of guarantee if not rectified today. He then had the audacity to tell me I misunderstood him and somehow this is all my fault. Never again!

Diamonds Internationalovercharged... like everyone else

Bought a half-carat diamond solitaire and two diamond guard rings on grand cayman in december 2009. Was mighty unhappy to learn a few months later that the solitaire was worth half of what I paid (which was a 50% discount from the store's marked price!) even worse, a few months ago, diamonds started falling out of the guard rings. Do not listen to the hype on royal caribbean — avoid this ripoff retailer at all costs.