Countrywide Home Loansfraudulent company

A

I just realized today that I have not received a bill from Countrywide in the past two months. I immediately called to see if I just lost my mind or what. They insisted that they had sent the bills to the proper address. I immediately made a double payment by phone and was charged a late payment for February. I argued that we have made all our payments on time since 2017.

I told them that I rely on receiving the bill as I not only do my personal bills, I do my fiance's personal bills and I am a bookkeeper for his company, and I have my own business. I process a lot of checks each month. They told me that the paper bill that we receive every month is just a courtesy and that they don't have to send the bill by mail, that I could go online and see everything there. My God, what if I didn't have a computer or I didn't know how to use one? I just hope now, that they haven't messed with our credit by making a report to the credit bureau. If I find out that they did that I will go to every length possible to ruin them. I believe this is how they are making money, if they pull this every once in awhile to a couple thousand people then they can get away with it. They have a very cocky attitude about it too, as if it was all my fault that I never received the bill. I am responsible for paying six mortgages every month, if I don't get the paper I'm screwed.

• Do
    Donna Gonzalez Jul 18, 2007

Countrywide had my credit card info on a Master Card that was to be paid off.They used that information to bill me $300.00 for an upfront processing fee without my knowledge or consent. I had given the credit card information to Tony Kwong for a payoff. When I called that office in Roseville,California Mr. Shores said he would have it credited unless I wanted to go forward with the loan,in which case they would credit it on the loan itself. So, here I am paying interest for a couple of weeks on $300.00 that should have never been charged on my Master card in the first place. My paperwork did reflect the $300.0 discount as Mr Shores stated that they would do. That was only after I told him I was reporting fraud on the part of Countrywide. Then when the notary arrived with my paperwork there was a pre payment penalty attached to the loan,one that lasts for 5 years.I was never told about this pre payment penalty even though I was in contact with 3 different people at Countrywide in Roseville.J.D.Powers and Associates may rate Countrywide aS #1 in Customer Satisfaction but I personally don't see how. I have dealt with numerous Mortgage companies and banks when seeking a real estate loan and Countrywide has been the only one to be deceitful and to try and get away with an act of fraud.

• Go
    Going crazy Sep 30, 2007

Please is there anybody that has a home loan with country wide having problems trying to keep their home? even had to be forced to filing chapter 13? if so please post on here!

• Lo
    Lori Walker Oct 14, 2007

I pray no one else is having the problems we are with countrywide home loans. They are saying we are 2 months behind and that we owe 1,300.00 by november 7th or they will take action to foreclose on us. We are current and have been. When you call them you get a different person and each one tells something different or they transfer you until you get tired and hang up. I have already wrote our attorney general for our state and i would advise everyone to go online find the address for your own state attorney general office and write them the consumer protection agency is now involved trying to help us please write them. So far they have been very nice and constantly keep us informed by mail. Just give them time to reply to you. Don't let countrywide get by with this. they are crooked we are even thinking of filing a lawsuit don't get frustrated and give in. Good luck to everyone and if you write your attorney general tell them in detail everything i did it was about 3 pages long and somebody read it!

Beware!

• Ly
    Lynn Cook Oct 29, 2007

Be careful, Even if you have canceled checks or any proof of payments from a place such as Western Union, THEY DO NOT APPLY THEM. Call Countrywide customer service line and ask them to fax you a copy of ALL of your payments from the time you originated your loan to currently. I just received mine today and they have not applied 7 payments. I did hire a lawyer and have been fighting with them since 2017. They actually sold our home and we found out 5 days later that it was sold. We did not even know it was in foreclosure! Ha Good Ol' Countrywide. Our final court date in November 1st... yes 2 days away, where the fate of our home lies in a judges hand, hopefully he makes the correct decision.

I recommend that you record EVERY conversation the name and time and the duration of the call, EVERY TIME you call them, keep ALL the papers they send to you! hiring a lawyer is most likely what you should end up doing to protect yourself. The better records you keep the more you will have on them. Best of luck to you.

Angie Hazelbaker Oct 30, 2007

We are fighting them now. They didn't post our payments and put our house into foreclosure. We are thinking about a lawsuit. We are worried about how it will affect our credit. Please let me know how things go for you in court I'm sure I'll be there soon...

• Ze
    Zelda Jauregui Nov 01, 2007

The same thing happened to me. We had fallen behind on payments and sent in all the paperwork which had been sent to me twice by countrywide. When I received the 2nd set of papers, I returned all (this was for a special forbearance). When I called countrywide to verify that it was received, I was told I would have a response from them within 14 days. Well 5 days later, my house was sold at auction. I found out when I received a letter from their attorney to vacate the premises. Well, now I have received a notice that I am being sued for not vacating. I did contact an attorney, who requested all paperwork (copies) from their attorneys to verify that we were notified about the sale. They have refused to send anything. Well, to file suit against countrywide, I need $2800.00 which at this point seems hopeless. Not once did countrywide ever contact me and I found out they kept sending paperwork to 2 or 3 different addresses but apparently not to mine.

If anyone has any information please let me know. If I were sure I had a chance to win and keep my home, I would fight but I feel helpless and lost.

• Ze
    Zelda Jauregui Nov 01, 2007

Sorry I picked the wrong button. I am very unhappy with Countrywide.

• Ka
    Kara Ankenman Nov 03, 2007

Wow, I am glad I did not refinance with Countrywide. Well they told us they had a great low rate of 6.25% and much lower payment than our current mortgage. But in order to lock in this lower rate we need $435.00 to get your home appraised and the credit fee. We were so excited that we came up with the money. Our home appraised for a few thousand less than we thought. Every time the loan officer would call the interest rate went up, or there was some kind of problem with "underwriting". So basically they riped us off for $435.00. We were stupid and will never make that mistake again!!! Do not use Countrywide... the loan officer was VERY inexperienced!!

• Je
    JEgalite Nov 03, 2007

Informing your state attorney general is a good idea but that will not keep your home out of foreclosure. By the time the AG can act, the sale could already take place. Find an attorney as quickly as you can -- if you don't have the cash, ask him or her if they will take it on contingency-- and consider a Class Action Suit against the Company.

The persons to contact immediately are your state and federal Congresspersons -- ALL OF THEM. Go to their local offices (the representatives and the senators) and speak with one of the case officers who are there to assist constituents. Congress has been told by the Secretary of the Treasury that the banks and Countrywide are working this out. Bank of America just loaned huge amounts of money to Countrywide AND is part of this deal.

Go to the government and ask them for help. Show them this page on the internet and tell them that Countrywide is in the business of stealing your homes. Go to the Bank of America and tell them what is going on -- ask them if they will write a new mortgage for you and help you get out of the mortgage with Countrywide. DO NOT CONTINUE TO DEAL WITH COUNTRY -- DO NOT WRITE A NEW LOAN WITH THEM.

Find other people who are being ripped off and ask them to put their problems with countrywide on line. Congress needs to know what these unscrupulous people are doing -- they need to see the full picture of the fraud or they will do nothing -- and there is plenty they actually can do, including getting Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to guarantee your loans.

FORM A SUPPORT GROUP -- GET EVERYONE INVOLVED. THIS THING IS GETTING OUT OF HAND AND CONGRESS IS THE ONLY PLACE WHERE ACTION WILL BEGIN.

Good Luck to you -- I am sorry for your troubles, but don't give up. Many of you have been lied to and cheated -- it's a rough place to be -- but not a time to lay down. FIGHT! WIN!

• Vi
    vivian kehl Nov 30, 2007

has anybody had them chare for insurance when you were already covered?

• Sk
    skid mark Dec 13, 2007

What Countrywide engages in is called mortgage servicing fraud.

Conduct your communications in writing with a RESPA letter. See above link for help.

Al Smith Dec 18, 2007

This is a very interesting issue here. I would recommend calling customer service and requesting a history statement be mailed to you. When you receive it you should see every transaction on your account. This will include all payments made by you and all payments made from your escrow account (if you have one with them.) Their statement of foreclosure sounds a little premature. Most servicing companies do not talk foreclosure until at least 3 payments are late. And even then they try to work out a plan with you. Servicing companies cannot make any money if the payment is not made; their money comes from the interest on the loan, not the property itself. For this reason, foreclosing and owning property is not profitable to them. Hope this helps.

Al.

• Co
    coolmimiof2 Jan 04, 2008

Countrywide Home Loans has been harassing us for about a year now. First, they stated that we were behind in our payments. I just spent 1 1/2 hours of MY time and I used MY printer ink and copy paper, to print copies of all of our cancelled checks. Guess what? I'm actually right on track! They also use the tactic of sending your bill on the 5th day of the month it is due so you just might be late in paying it. Too bad for them that they can't keep their records straight and I'm ahead of the game! Their online account management system has me 7 months behind! I believe I will charge them $15.00 per hour for doing THEIR job for them!

Now for the best part! Countrywide sent us a letter stating that it had been brought to their attention that my home had been vacant since 10/23/2017! I called them and asked them to define "vacant", as I was standing in my house at the very address they claimed was vacant and that I was going to cook dinner in the kitchen of that home as soon as I finished doing their job for them yet again. I was told that an "agent" is sent out when the mortgage is past due to drive by the property to see if it has been vacated. Give me a break! They would have to trespass on your property and peer in the windows to make that determination! I told them that the house next door to me is vacant and has been since the woman that lived there died in a drug-related shooting on her front porch. I asked them to send their "secret agent" back to my home and even described the property to them, and to come to my front door. Upon ringing the doorbell, there will be a 90 pound Rottweiler and his brother and mama that will be the greeting committee. I asked for proof that this had been resolved within 30 days. I received NOTHING! Today, my insurance company called because they have received a letter that my property is vacant. You guessed it! Countrywide strikes again. Now they have involved a third party because they want to place Vacancy coverage into my insurance premium. They can kiss my grits! Before I am done with them, they will be paying ME to live in my house that I apparently don't live in. FYI: I'm typing this on my computer in that very house that they say is vacant.

We need to call these ###s on the carpet and stop them dead in their tracks! They just messed with the wrong lady here!

• Ka
    Kaleena Jan 11, 2008

I am so happy that I am researching countrywide prior to trying to buy a home with them. I'm actually doing a research paper for my class concerning foreclosures & decided that I would research the company that I was about to borrow from. Mainly because they were on BLAST today along with BANK OF AMERICA (WE WON'T EVEN GET INTO WHAT KIND OF CROOKS THEY ARE) buying them out..or should I say bailing them out. I wish all of you the best of luck with your homes and hope and pray that you do not actually lose them. Are you able to file along with that lawsuit PTSD from the stress they have caused you? You may want to look into it.

anthony radford Jan 14, 2008

My story with Countrywide is very complicated, Personally I think they should shutdown completely, thier business practice suck, everyone who works for them are crooks, have no education
    They have no clue whats going on there.

• Vi
    vivian kehl Feb 08, 2008

We had to hire a mitigator and are in the process of working something out through no fault of our own. They esrowed our insurance when we faxed them seven times with proof we had our own. We refused to pay it and the late fees and were put into foreclosure.

chris Feb 21, 2008

Your 'litigator' is most likely working for the mortgage company unless you see the credentials. Mine tried to get me to come to terms with theirs and the guy was a fake. There are only a few Arbitration companies out there are they are listed on the net. Make sure you never speak to anyone who cannot verify where they are from.

• St
    Stacy Feb 29, 2008

Countrywide had very bad communication with us. They were given all of our deadlines for our home purchase, yet they continually missed our deadlines even when we called to remind them. Important papers were never mailed or emailed to us, like employees at Countrywide said they would be. We were actually told something was in the mail... we never received it! They took forever to get the appointment for the appraiser, which hurt us in the long run.

They gave us a "pre-qualification" for an FHA loan. That sat on their desk for three weeks before we decided to continue. When they actually tried to qualify us on that loan, we were told that we didn't qualify. Countrywide should have been educated about the qualifications of the loan when we first went in. So, we went with another loan. On the day before closing they had an appraisal done on our house. At noon they called to tell us that everything was going great, the appraisal come back with good numbers and we would be able to make the noon closing time for the next day. An hour later, Countrywide called back saying there were problems with our appraisal and we wouldn't be able to close the next day. We were told that we would now need to put more money down because the appraiser deemed our neighborhood a "soft market". Ultimately, Countrywide's lack of qualification, communication, quick response and truthfulness led us to seek another lender. Hopefully this deal isn't ruined for us!

• Wa
    Wanda Love Mar 02, 2008

We fell behind due to debit card fraud on our checking account which resulted in a returned check. We had never been late on our mortgage in 5 years before this occurred, then within 30 days of this event I lost my job. Needless to say, we fell further behind and after 90 days our home was in foreclosure. Our account was impacted by enormous fees causing the original arrears to be double. We worked out a repayment plan with Countrywide that cost us an additional $500 a month but truly believed we were going to turn this situation around since I had gainful employment and we had a plan we could live with, we were not happy about the total expense this had cost us but we were going to fix what was wrong. After six months of paying as agreed... to our surprise the July payment was refused by Countrywide, ironically they never contacted us, we found out when Western Union sent us a letter about three weeks later. When I contacted CW they claimed our payment was $5 short, I had sent them $1700 every month prior to this and that was the agreement, but they claimed it to be $1705 and refused to take anything unless we did another repayment plan that ended up costing us more fees and resulted an additional $100 month for another 12 months. They are crooks! Yet another payment refusal came our way and of course the fees followed and we had come up with another plan, this time they offered loan modification and that sounded like the way to go if it would bring us current and we start repairing our credit to hopefully refinance and get the heck away from CW. Well they took our $5000 good faith payment to modify our loan and applied to a bunch of erroneous fees and we are still in arrears and facing foreclosure again. Why doesn't someone do something to these people once and for all, there are so many stories just like ours and it WRONG! People work hard for their money and want a home for their families, we should never gone through this in the first place and now we are at risk of loosing out home and our $65,000 in equity. There should be recourse for the public when large corporations take advantage of people like this, why do I pay taxes to a government that turns their head to such blunted crooks like this. I want a class action lawsuit filed and I want everyone to get what they have coming to them including Countrywide Home Loans.

• Ra
    Rachel Mar 24, 2008

I agree with you. Something needs to be done. We refinanced to CW. We wanted a smaller payment & lower interest rate. We thought that was what we were getting. The lady that worked with us told us we would olny me paying $1100 a month. Which was true, except that was the option with defered interest. If we paid the actual smallest payment... we would be paying $400 more than we were in our original mortgage. Also, they told us not to worry about paying our last payment on our original mortgage. "we would be closed by then". Wrong! We fought with them & told them they needed to take care of it. We were told they had done so. Wrong! We now have a late payment on our credit. Also, since we were misguided on our refinance, we are looking at foreclosure. I've called and tried to work with them. They basically told me there was nothing they could do. Is there anything else we can do?

• Te
    Terri Mar 27, 2008

This company could not make change for a dollar., I am fighting them as we speak. The good thing is I kept copies of all my payments. Their argument is, "were the checks cashed". Seems to me they have a tendancy to throw checks away. What are they trying to prove, we are regular people who deserve a home and they are making money buy taking people for everything they have. We pay, they take, they dump, they re-prosper on some other unknowing soul.

Anonymous Apr 22, 2008

Our ARM is due to change in July and will riase our monthly payments up more than we can currently afford. We began working with a company that will help us get a rate freeze for another 3-5 years, allowing us to keep our current rate. This was 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I get a letter from Country wide stating that they will no longer accept our payments through our automatic bank withdrawals unless we agree to no longer seek outside help. They also said that they need to have payments in hand days before the due date to ensure that they apply it to the account in time to avoid the late fees. They have also charged us late fees when they automtaically take the money from our account, so how could we be late?!

• Ly
    Lynn Apr 30, 2008

They take 24 days to post our payments! And it doesn't matter that you sent them out with first class postage, they still post late so we've been forced to send our payments out a month ahead of time.

• Dd
    ddorrer May 05, 2008

If your written contract stated 1700 per month for X months, Countrywide can not change the terms unless it is written in the fine print. Contact a lawyer. Countrywide may have broken your states lending laws...then again maybe not.

Look at the other side of the fence, Countrywide has foreclosed on thousands of accounts that refused to make payments.

They can not legally restrict you from outside help. Again get to a lawyer ASAP.

• Je
    jeremy Jun 11, 2008

I am a real estate agent. I recently have had two dealings w/ countrywide on short sales (people nearing foreclosure). Both had reasonalble offers from buyers that were close to market value. countrywide was contacted MULTIPLE times to initiate the short sale process. The firts time they didn't repond to the offer until after the buyer walked ( after waiting patiently for a month)and the second got held up infinately at the home apprasial. I called multiple times only to be told "I'll take a note of that". I asked for supervisors and got voice mail only w/ no returned reponse. these buyers have been waiting 6 weeks and said they are walking from the $300, 000 deal tomorrow. Still no word on the apprasial. Thanks countrywide...you on WHO's side?

Another Complaint Jul 08, 2008

We fell victim to Countrywide and the belief that they could help us with our Arm loan. After calling for 4 months we finally found out that our request for a rate freeze had been denied but without a reason. The only way this company will even consider helping you is after you stop making payments and damage your credit. At this point you have already done the damage why not walk away from the house. The customer service is terrible and no one ever calls you back. We wasted 4 months only to find out we were denied. I hope this company goes bankrupt because they really deserve it.

• As
    Ashley Aug 23, 2008

I too am currently facing the ever famous Countrywide Home Loan Company. They are a total rip off and try to steal hard working people of their homes. I have been constanty harrassed by themm for over a year. After several calls from their idiotic customer representatives saying that I had missed a payment. I faxed them 8 to 10 copies of the check. The problem had yet to be solved. Two days ago I was sent a letter stating they were going to foreclose on my property in thirty days. Now I am trying too resolve this matter as soon as possible. Some one should sue them for false advertising because by no means do they provide"world class service". The represenatives dont communicate with one another and are to stupid and lazy to notate information that was received during a clients session. PLEASE NEVER accure a loan from COUNTRY WIDE...

anthony alston Sep 10, 2008

I followed proper protocall with countrywide . As many americans i changed jobs to were my salarie changed i asked countrywide to move 2-3 months of my payment to the back of my loan . they had me send in a letter of hope .They said then i should be fine - when i called to see if the loan could be modified they told me nothing could be done . I have ask countrywide to help me not fall behind in payment and even take 1/2 of the morgage payment until i got caught up. times as you know are hard now many americans are trying to keep there home i need help asap . thank you - if you can help me ceo- of countrywide my e- mail adress is [protected]@aol.com if you need any additional info let me know .anthony alston

• Valerie Sep 30, 2008

Countrywide is raising millions by charging fees for refinancing your home and they have no intention of closing the deal. During the appraisal, they will so under value your property you will be in a reverse mortgage situation. Most will seek other mortgage companies or bank, however you will be out hundreds of dollars. Fees for running your credit, paperwork, and the appraisal fee. DON'T WAIST YOUR TIME. Go to another bank to refinance. Countrywide rates and fee will always be higher. And there customer service is terrible. The agents do not return your calls nor do they inform you on possible lower rates. Due to the financial troubles on Wall Street, they have no intention on giving you a good deal. They are only in this to make money off of you. They do not have your best interest in mind.

• Ti
    Tiffany Oct 15, 2008

Help!!!
    Country Wide is sucking the life outa me. I like others had no choice in my Morgage company and Now im paying the price. I started with $620.00 house payments 2 years ago and now i'm paying 1, 000 dallars a month for reasons unknown my escrow is negative and I have all these hidden fees on my bill that nobody in the company seems to know what they are. My whole house is completely gutted and Im not even living in it I can't afford the payments and remodeling togther. There for I can't change companies becuase it won't even come close to being appraised at what I need. I am scared I'm gonna loose my house and I called Country Wide on the phone and they told me if I have to forclose and my house appasies for less I have to pay the diffrence we are talking like $30, 000 dallars diffrence. Does anybody have any suggestions? I really want to leave the company but don't know where to go or what to do?

john shepard Nov 16, 2008

John E. Shepard
    3201 Key West Dr.
    Garland, TX 75044
    11-16-2017
    THIS HOW PEOPLE LOOSE THEIR HOMES INVAID AGREEMENT
    Country Wide Finance Department repeating phone calls (3 or 4 daily)
    Dear Lawyer:
    We have requested that Country Wide Finance Company do not call us daily (3 or 4 time). The open statement “This is a call from a debt collector and we are informing you that we need to collect a debt.” We made payment arrangement with this company to skip one payment.
    We receive a called on the2 day of November, 2017 with the customer service operator stating that we owe for two months of payment.
    This has been a daily process of calls from Country Wide. Sometimes we receive 3 or 4 calls a day.
    The contract that we agreed to pay Country Wide back on a five month plan has been violated by Country Wide Mortgage Company and we would like to take legal action against them(start day December 2017).
    We agreed to be put a 5 month payment plan and they also state that this would not effective our credit but it has affected our credit.
    (Payment plan 1500 per month for the next 5 months)

John E. Shepard
    Cc Ross and Matthew Law Firm Bank of America
    Date of calls
    Sunday, November 16, 2017 Time 8:20 from Mrs. Ana Pedia ex (4911)
    Later Mr. Savio Kapoor (supervisor) calling to collect a debt
    Please stop the madness our note had been paid [protected])
    Payment plan starts next month

james gale Nov 22, 2008

guess i just joined the ranks, countrywide mortgage, took $380, from my debit card with the promise of a full refund if the loan didnt go through, well after getting the contracts in the mail, there was suddenly a problem, my house had been on the market for sale, although the listing had run out before the start of the loan application, so I was denied the loan, I asked when would my refund of $380, be put back into my account, she (misty Knoll), said, "oh I'm not sure if they will do that, she lied to me and even admitted it on the phone, it was her mistake she said, these are tuff times for a lot of folks and tossing $380 into the wind has me seeing red, I will do anything I have to to get my funds returned as promised, any suggestions on how to do that is appreciated
    beware countrywide has no morals, liars and thieves
    HELP ANYONE!

james gale Dec 02, 2008

THANFULLY THEY CWG, SAW THE LIGHT AND ISSUED ME MY REFUND IN TOTAL, SO A HAPPY ENDING TO MY ABOVE POST!!!

• This is about sexual harassment going on in our department. There is this employee who was in jail and was bailed by this female employee. Now everybody knows about their sexual relationship. This is very uncomfortable working around this 2 people and everyone had complained about it but nothing was done. How are we employees be able to work. And since everyone knows, why are these 2 people still working in the same department, this environment is very unhealthy for the rest of us. This 2 people work in the same area. The sad thing is the male is married with children while the female knows but did not care. What kind of work environment is this.

From
    Concerned employees in the Tax Dept.

• Ki
    Kim Jan 22, 2009

After my 2 year ARM loan adjusted from 6.8 percent to 9.9 percent, and getting hit with taxes and fees. My payment went from 2075.00 per month to over 3400.00 per month. Countrywide denied me a refinance. Debt ratio was too high I guess. Now my credit score lacks also. All because I have not made a payment to them in two months. We have been going back and forth over this damn loan modification deal. They have news stories. They have internet stories. The big ole president of countrywide himself has promised all us bums a pre approved loan adjustment. They state they want to help us get back on our feet. They want to avoid foreclosures. Well, I have done all they have asked me to do. They even have the latest pay stubs. They also don't have voicemail now. So when you need to talk to someone, you are placed on hold forever. Then, they get you some stupid ### that doesn't have a clue as to what modifications are. And that a loan negotiator will call us back. It takes a week sometimes. And, if you miss the call, cause lets say your at work, well, your ### out of luck. After two months of the paper trail, and phone calls, they tell us we ARE DENIED A LOAN MODIFICATION! We cant afford it. NO ###! Who can afford their house payment to double. All they have to do is lower the rate back to what it was, and we can afford our home. But now. They want foreclosure. I hear this is happening to alot of you out there. Its time to sue! They are rude, and they are full of empty promises. Countrywide is a fraud. They are not doing one loan modification. Its only to make them look good to investors. That is why they promise these loan mods. If you get one, let me know. See ya in foreclosure!

• Bo
    Boycott Countrywide Feb 14, 2009

I am writing this letter on my father’s behalf due to his macular degeneration. After the death of my mother we found that she had refinanced the loan on their home that they have lived in since the 1960’s. She refinanced with Countrywide Loans over the phone in 2/06. She was 80 years old at the time and not in the best of health.

We knew she was thinking of applying for a reverse mortgage, but Countrywide ended up giving them a 30 Yr Conv Jumbo Arm (NonConf Arm Libor 7/1 EC IO) an interest rate of 6.375%. If any of the family had seen this loan we would have put a stop to it. But she kept it from us because she knew she had made a big mistake and carried this burden with her to her grave. In reviewing the loan papers the family was appalled at the conditions of the loan. Payments are $2077.07 interest only. This was more than 50% of their income at the time. The $2501.55 P&I option was completely out of the question based on income. My mother’s passing has decreased my father’s income even more. As I understand legitimate loans have a 28% ratio to income. Who ever approved this loan did not even bother to ask for verification of their income (information verification is blank on the loan documents), nor did they take into consideration my parents were on a fixed income. Where did they think the money is going to come from once the payments jump to $2938.51?

Countrywide Home Loans had the house appraised at $642, 000 by an appraiser from their approved list (Landsafe which Countrywide owns). In going back over 10 years their home has never been worth more than $580, 000. In fact, when this loan was originated by Countrywide, in 2/06 the value of the home was approximately $540.000 NOT $642.00. Due to the drop in real estate prices its value is now at approximately $405.00 with prices expected to drop 21% in the next year.

My father applied for a loan modification on 12/11/08 we were told that it would take about 45 days. We were also told to fax a letter to the office of the president. After no response I called the other day and they said he didn’t qualify for a modification because they had sold it to the Bank of NY. On another occasion I talked to a supervisor and told him that this loan was based on their good credit and no one EVEN VERIFIED their income. The supervisor told me they weren’t responsible for misinformation on the loan papers, or the fraudulent appraisal (done by Landsafe – a company they own) as that was the broker’s part (there is no broker listed on the loan documents). I was also told by Countrywide, another time there was no broker…different stories different times. The supervisor said nothing could be done because he isn’t delinquent and his payment doesn’t jump until 2017 so call back then.

The other option they gave me is to try to refinance. There is a prepayment penalty which even if my father (who has great credit) wanted to refinance, it would cost him approximately another $10, 000.00. More money for Countrywide?? He has paid over $70, 000 in interest plus close to $10, 000 in closing costs, not a cent coming off of the principle. The loan balance is $390, 000.00., As you can see by the info……they were totally ripped off.

My Father is 86 years old a retired veteran of WW11. He has lived his life with up most decorum and has never even received a parking ticket. He has worked all his life to have a decent retirement. At this point in his life I feel he should be able to live out his life (which his family has a history of longevity) without having to deal with the “disgusting” conditions of this loan.

At this time my father is going to have to claim bankruptcy just to survive. This loan is causing him extreme hardship both emotional and financial. This loan was not above board and given to them by an unethical loan person who decided an elderly couple would be a good target to make a great commission. I hope this person can sleep at night. I consider this whole situation elder abuse.

Al Smith Feb 14, 2009

Was the original loan only in your mothers name or both their names? Also if it was in both their names was your mother or your father the primary signer of the original note? If your mother was the only signer at closing of the original loan then even though it was a bad loan she signed, it will hold up in court. But if your father was the only signer or was the primary on the original loan, then you may have a legal leg to stand on. No one has the right to refi, modify or do anything else on a loan if their name is not on the loan. Even if they were the primary, everyone who signed the original loan must knowingly sign the refi loan papers to make it legal and to keep the chain of title intact. I would suggest getting a copy of the original note and see who's name is on it and who is primary on the loan.

Al Smith Feb 14, 2009

Sounds like an uncomfortable situation for the office, but how is it sexual harassment? Unless they are performing sex acts, like touching, kissing or disrupting the flow of work, I don't see it as sexual harassment. What they are doing in private that has been reveled may be considered unethical, but that's their business. This is not the place for that kind of issue. I would suggest you take it to HR and your management team.

• Li
    Liza Feb 18, 2009

In October, 2017, I signed up for Countrywide's PayPlan/26. This program drafts 1/2 your monthly mortgage and in doing so, my savings would have been $70, 942.00 in interest by applying essentially an additional month's payment each year.

The first draft was taken out of my checking account on 10/16/08. On November 11, 2017, I received a letter from them stating that my PayPlan/26 service has been discontinued because a special data condition exists on my account. No one that I spoke to could tell me what this 'special data condition' was, and I made a payment of $2, 574.62 over the phone, plus they charged me $12 to take the payment.

Since that time, Countrywide has failed to get the PayPlan/26 program working on my account, and they failed to take the bi-weekly payment from my checking account.

I chose to wait to see what they would do. This past week I received a letter from them, return receipt requested, which I signed for at my local post office. It seems that someone can take the time to send a threatening 'Notice of Intent to Accelerate' but the same person can't take the time to investigate the history of the account.

Sorry for you Countrywide, but I'm not doing your job(s) for you.

I'm sending the equivelant of what they were supposed to take from my checking account, minus what's already been paid, and minus the $12 fee they charged to take a payment over the phone when they failed to automatically draft from my checking account.

It's clear to me that they are deliberately sabotaging the PayPlan/26 program in the hopes that they can collect bogus fees and late charges, and hoping that I'll stick with the original 30-year fixed mortgage, thereby collecting the $70, 942.00 in interest that the program would save me. Guess again, Countrywide.

I'll be filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau, the United States Congress, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, to name a few. I'm quite certain I'm not the only mortgage holder that Countrywide is trying to dupe. I am, however, not going to sit by and do nothing.

I'm very interested to hear from anyone who has had similar problems with Countrywide.

• Fl
    Fla Feb 27, 2009

I made the terrible mistake of re-financing my home through Countrywide Home Loans last year. They are a bunch of CROOKS.. Someone needs to shut them down / out of business.