Costcorude and unprofessional behavior

About two months ago while checking out at my local Costco store the cashier and his helper were having a discussion in Spanish while checking me out. I felt that this was rude and unprofessional and after I went home and stewed about it I decided to call their headquarters in Washington and complain as I am not only a member of Costco but a stockholder as well. They apologized and told me that this was against their policy and it would not happen again and I believed them. So for the months that followed I purposely stayed away from any cashiers that looked Hispanic as I did not want it to happen again since I enjoyed shopping at Costco and if it was happening I didn't want to know about it as long as it not happen to me again. So last week I went there to shop and looked for a line where the cashier did not look Hispanic. I was wrong. As soon as I was half way in line The cashier and helper were having a conversation in Spanish and acted like I didn't even exist. When I contacted the company via e-mail and told them I was considering ending my membership what happened next shocked the heck out of me. I recieved a letter from Costco with a check for my $50.00 membership fee and they cancelled my membership. They said in the letter " sorry our employees were unable to meet your satisfaction". Can you believe that a customer that spent more than $5000.00 at Costco so far this year would be thrown out rather than correcting an employee that was violating not only company policy but was rude and unprofessional in any business arena. This tells me how much Costco cares about keeping it's customers.

jongu Nov 01, 2009

how much costco stock do you hold?
    over 10%?

• Jk
    J Kwok Nov 10, 2009

Okay, this comment is a little hard is respond... First off, if you are trying to avoid Hispanic employees. I think that's racist. Second, they canceled your membership because it sounded like that is what you wanted, and you got a FULL refund. Costco did exactly what they were suppose to do. Believe me, they wouldn't want you to leave, but if you tell them that you are considering ending the membership, they won't try to keep you. Afterall, they want you to be happy. The two employees were rude for ignoring you and speaking in Spanish and not including you in the conversation. But what you should've done was to speak to the manager that same day that happened. They would've done something about it. Sorry it didn't work out, but you have to look at the whole picture here. Costco has done nothing wrong. It is you who ended the relationship with Costco.