ADVERTISIMENT

Consumers Energyscrew the people says they.

There is only one source To receive Electric and Gas to my new home and its the monoply Consumers Energy. How can They tell Me I cannot Get service when i have never in my 35 years of life had service threw Them?

I have a 14 and 11 year old living with me and They are telling me I am responsible for a bill from my Wife that had the service turned on before we were married and at a different address also I am only one on the Lease therefore how is it that i have to pay her $600 bill before service is on?
I can't access her bank accounts, I can't access any of her accounts anywhere so how am i responsible to pay them?

You tell me to get a Notarized copy of lease and come in person i did. You call me 4 days later telling me thats not good enough now.

I don't see how this is Legal?

How can the people Fight back? How does it come down to the Monoplys making the laws? The lady at consumers told me IN Michigan its the law that I have to pay my Wifes Consumers bill even though it was her bill before we were married and we are seperated. I just want my kids to be able to take a warm shower in the morning before School. Thats if we wake up in time with no alarm because we have no electricity. How do they expect someone on unemployment to pay someone elses bills. I don't owe them money how do they decline me service?

• Dt
    dt52 Jul 22, 2010

I don't know the entire process of bills following spouses...but shouldn't your wifes debts be something that you guys discuss before you get married? You are setting yourself up for this kind of stuff when your finances arent being discussed. Consumers Energy is a creditor, meaning when you don't pay your final bill owing to them they are going to send it to collections. When it is sent to collections, those agencies are going to do everything they can to get that bill paid...which may very well mean her bill shows up on yours. You should contact them and find out what can be done to get it out of your name, especially if it was not correctly transferred in.

JamesD555 Nov 23, 2009

Another thing. Did you happen to notice consumers comment page? There is a place provided for COMPLIMENTS no complaints. We bought a insert for our fireplace and so for the past two lovely years have enjoyed heat in our home without that stinking consumers energy. Love it!!! They suck big time.

JamesD555 Nov 23, 2009

I called the MPSC number. Placed my complaint for almost the same problem.. Ha! The MPSC works hand and hand with consumers energy. They are tight friends.

• Co
    Consumer Friend May 13, 2009

Not necessarily. The residential rules for energy customers state that "if you were a member of the household, over 18 and your social security number was also on the established account" you are responsible. The debt should be hers if you were not living in the home and benefiting from the service at the time the debt was incurred. MPSC [protected].

• Co
    CommonSense May 11, 2009

Because when you got married, you assumed responsibility for each other debt.

Comment Guidelines