Con Edisoncrazy bill

October 25, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I received a bill from Con Edison stating that I owe them $3030.24 for electricity from March of 2008 until now (October 2009). I could not understand why I had received such an expensive bill. I have been paying my bills on time and in the full amount. I called Con Edison to figure out the problem. They stated that there had been an error with my meter. All along Con Edison’s computers were charging me a factor of 1 per kwh. All of a sudden, they state that me meter should be a factor of 10 per kwh. They stated that the error was theirs. I in turn told them since you admit that the error is yours, then how can I be responsible to make a $3030.24 payment for a mistake I did not make. They say that the factor should be a factor of 10 per kwh. How do we even know if this is correct? We have no explanation and no proof that this his the correct factor.

At this time my wife is currently out of work and one of my apartments is empty. I cannot afford to pay a bill that is $3030.24, but more importantly I do not think I have to pay this bill as it is not my error. I have been receiving my electric bills and paying them. Those bills stated the amount that I owed for the electric service and usage. I made my payments according to what Con Edison sent me. I do not think that I should have to pay for an error that they created. If the mistake had been mine, I would be responsible. How is it that the mistake is theirs and I am still responsible? If it had been any other business they would have accepted their loss and moved forward, but Con Edison thinks that they are exempt and are trying to make me pay for someone else’s mistake at their company. Why not ask the person who inputted my meter information incorrectly to make a $3030.24 payment??? They are the ones who made the error, not me.

Thank you for your time and I would appreciate a resolution to this ridiculous balance on my electric account.

Sincerely,