Woodforest Bank / refused service - treated like criminal

1 Grand Prairie, TX, United States Review updated:

I have been an account-holder with WoodForest Bank for almost 6 years. Over the last 5 years, my company has direct deposited from their payroll account into my account every 2 weeks like clockwork. However, when I went in to deposit 2 checks, both from my company and both from the same payroll account, I was asked a battery of questions about the source of the checks, the validity of the checks, etc. I answered each one, even though there was no reason for questioning. Additionally, the manager on duty was called over to ‘verify’ the checks before the deposit could be made.

I’ve never presented a check for deposit that was bad, and I’ve never asked the bank to assume responsibility for my checks by making funds available to me immediately. If they feel there is a question with the checks, they are well within their rights to hold the deposit until they get paid funds from the guarantor of that check.

I was allowed to make the deposit, but not without being questioned publicly about the validity of the checks. I was insulted to say the least. If I had dropped the checks in an envelope and deposited them through the ATM, would it ask me such questions?

Today marked the pinnacle of bad customer service. I presented a cashier’s check made out to my son, and the teller would not let me make the deposit. There is MORE than enough money in my account to cover the check in the event that it came back NSF, but that was deemed irrelevant. The only way I would be allowed to deposit the check is to have my son present, with his ID, “SO THE HE CAN VERIFY THAT HE ENDORSED THE CHECK OVER TO YOU.” Those were the exact words used by the teller!

I’ve had some bad customer service, but to be called a thief tops the list.

First of all, I’ve presented personal, hand-written checks for my son on numerous occasions and was allowed to cash them on the spot. This was a CASHIER’S CHECK for less than 10% of the amount that I currently have on deposit with the bank. I did not ask for the check to be cashed but to be deposited. Again, if they feel that there may be a problem with the check, they are well within their rights to hold the check until payment has been received. However, rather than deposit the check and hold the funds until it cleared, Woodforest chose to call me a thief and refuse me service until I bring my son to verify that I’m not a common criminal.

Come along son... Tell the nice lady that I'm not a thief.

REALLY?!

Comments

• Wo
      5th of Aug, 2010

At Woodforest, we take every concern seriously and make every effort to resolve issues promptly. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. Please contact our Customer Care department at 877-968-7962 and ask to speak directly with the Regional Vice President over the branch. We look forward to speaking with you soon.