Whirlpool / water heater

1 Huntington Beach, CA, United States Review updated:

Whirlpool Water heater had 12 year warranty and started leaking on Saturday at 2:00 in the afternoon, called warranty and they said turn off water and pilot and check to see if it is still leaking after 2 hours, so I did, it stopped leaking within 3 minutes but after 2 hours I called back and a recording said "call back during normal business hours!"

I called back Monday morning and the person gave me a parts and inner tank authorization number- I called a plumber and they said it cost 250 to install and the prorated tank would cost 250 to 300 dollars. So the warranty was basically a waste of time and the Water heater is a piece of junk. I had replaced the controller twice already. I never had a problem with water heaters until I got this whirlpool.

So instead of using the warranty to get the same junk I just bought a GE unit, cost 600 bucks. took my neighbor and me 2 hours to install it. Lowes would not give me a replacement unit they said work with the factory, I asked them I already had a parts authorization number but it would cost 150 to just get a plumber out there to check and verify. Basically they said they had never given a water heater to a consumer in her 18 years of working at Lowes, so that tells me they don't back their products at all-so no more Lowes and no more Whirlpool products.

• Whirlpool Corporation Customer Care's Response, Apr 16, 2013

Hello coffee03. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Whirlpool. We sincerely apologize for the frustrating experience you have endured regarding your water heater. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at Whirlpool.Digital@Whirlpool.com and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name, and your ticket number (40264). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

Co
Apr 15, 2013

Comments

• F9
      1st of Jan, 2009

I guess I should consider myself lucky that my Whirlpool FG water heater lasted 2 years 7 months before it died like many others have. Called Whirlpool customer support and talked so someone in India who was barely able to reply to my questions and the answers were from a scripted answer sheet. He could not answer a simple question...

Was told I had to order and pay shipping on a "repair kit" that was a free upgrade. This seems to be a short term fix from reading other complaints. So no hot water, several day wait for a temp fix at best and really crappy customer service. So I purchased a Bradford White heater today because I don't want to wait 3 more days for a part from Whirlpool. If they had half a brain they would stock the kit in the Lowes stores that sold the heaters...Maybe too simple of a solution... Seems that Whirlpool products have taken a severe turn downhill on quality. My less than 2 year old refrigerator has a broker ice maker too.

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT AGAIN. IF THIS IS THE BEST THEY CAN DO THEN FORGET IT...

• Er
      14th of Mar, 2013

bought whirlpool water heater at Lowes, as I wanted to buy american made product, on 10/17/2012. 1t was installed 10/29/12 and plumbing inspected by county.. All appeared fine, but when i turned on hot water faucet, there was some air in line. thought that was normal as usually there is a little after plumbing is done. But it got worse every day and showering was by spurts and gushes. Whirlpool says that anode wears out over time due to use and that i need to buy another anode and pay to have it installed. It is only 4 monts old !!! I say the anode was defective and take back their water heater and refund all money including installation, as I want to buy one somewhere else. So much for GREAT AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT. no wonder our country is in trouble... why buy something that is defective and will not stand behind their product.