Whirlpool / product malfunction for 2 years that started less than 2 months after install

Fort Worth, TX, United States Review updated:

On 2/6/16, I purchased 3 brand new Kitchenaid appliances at Best Buy. I purchased a Dishwasher, Range, and Microwave. Install was 2/18/16 where we were told that neither of the cords we were sold could be used (Range cord and Dishwasher Kit), so my existing cords were used for the Dishwasher and the Range. There was also burnt plastic on the Range that had to be cleaned off. When trying to return the unused cords, we had to get approvals and overrides that took an extensive amount of time. The part numbers on my receipt didn't match the part numbers on the packages because they were pulled incorrectly by the Warehouse. This was just the beginning of my journey with Whirlpool.

In April 2016 I noticed that the dishes just weren't clean. The inside of the drum looked dirty. Food remained on the silverware and dishes and they would rarely be dry. Service was requested and 4/22/16 a technician came from Guinco. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to use Affresh cleaner and Jet Dry. He gave me a couple samples of Affresh and sold me more for $17.21. I used all the products he said and followed his directions. I used one of the Affresh samples he gave me prior to his second arrival. When he returned on 5/9/16 I was not there, but he told my boyfriend that I was a liar because I wasn't using the products he told me to and that there was nothing wrong with my machine. He didn't remember he gave me samples and since I hadn't opened the new package he sold me, he assumed I wasn't doing what he said. So he left after not doing anything and calling me a liar.
In May, 2016 I called in and requested a different service provider as my dishes were still dirty, but now error code F6E9 was on my Range too. On 5/31/16 Appliance Rescue Service came. I told him what the Guinco technician had said and done and the products he said I needed to use. So now this technician tested my hot water heater temperature and we adjusted it to 130 degrees as he didn't think the water was hot enough to dissolve all the soap which is where the residue was coming from. He also said Affresh was a waste of money and to get Dishwasher Magic. Of course, he had some and sold it to me for $6.95. He did concur that I needed to use a Rinse Aid and that I needed to prime the water before running the dishwasher. He also ordered a replacement motherboard for my range. He finished on 6/10/16. Photos were taken June 14, 22 and 25 and all show continued dirty dishes.

I spoke with Whirlpool again on 6/16/16 to get someone else out to check the dishwasher. I asked for the early window so I didn't have to be too late for work. So the company, Accent gave me a window from 11-1 that did not work with my schedule so I called to reschedule. I was told during that call (6/23/16) that my products would not be exchanged, only repaired. I asked to speak with a supervisor who proceeded to tell me that I wasn't using the right soap in my dishwasher and that I must have bad water. On 6/24/16 I scheduled a water analysis that yielded the following: Water 12, PH 7, Chlorine 1 and TDS was 290. So basically all my numbers were good.

Between June-September 2016 I called again with the Range error code, dirty dishes and now the rubber piece from inside the soap dispenser was coming out. The man who came didn't leave any paperwork or a business card so I don't know anything about him or that company. But he fixed the rubber piece and replaced the Range motherboard again.

Quite honestly I just didn't have any more fight in me so I just decided to pull out my range from the wall, unplug it and push it back when the error code appears and I wash all my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher. But now my dishwasher won't drain and the water is just sitting in the tub.

My dishwasher went over to Product Review and I have been offered a different model machine that is valuing less than what I originally paid for mine, with a $215 Participation Fee. Really?? As Customer Service, I would be embarrassed to ask for a penny from a customer who went through what I did in 1 year.

In my counter offer to Whirlpool, I said I would take the replacement and pay $100 instead of $215 and I asked for an extended warranty to be included. I was told that I could put the saved $100 toward the warranty on my own.

I truly believe that people failed at their jobs which kept me from getting a Product Review before the first year ended. While I appreciate the gesture they have proposed, it is insulting. Am I really expected to pay anything after all that I have been through? I just made my last payment to Best Buy. It has been so difficult to continue paying for appliances that I know are defective.

What I would likeā€¦..
Dishwasher KDTE334GPS
No Participation Fee
2 year extended warranty
Haul away old dishwasher

The above would prevent me from putting many negative reviews on all avenues of Social Media detailing ALL of my awful experiences with Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, and Best Buy for the past 2 years. I have a lot of free time and will make getting the news out my mission.

I have until March 5 to give the Product Review team my answer on whether I will be accepting their offer. Hopefully, I will hear from someone prior to that. Thank you for reviewing my complaint fairly.

Da
Mar 01, 2018

Comments

• Sh
      Mar 01, 2018

Hi Danielle.

Appreciated reading your concerns and issues with the products you've outlined. I'm sure I might be of some service.

To being with, it might be appropriate to clarify to any readers that Whirlpool is the parent company to Kitchenaid. Kitchenaid is an upper division product line. Their quality is some of the best produced and rated as such by most reviews.

Your initial difficulties start with the dishwasher not cleaning to a level you feel is appropriate. The pictures you've supplied are appreciated; along with the detailed information you've left, I believe I can lead you toward an amicable solution. The dishwasher remedy is multifaceted.

First, you stated, "...and I wash all my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher." THIS IS A HUGE MISTAKE and one that seems to be perpetuated throughout the country. Let me explain: Many years ago a few major states passed pro-environmental laws which required the removal of phosphates from dishwasher detergent. The detergent manufacturers weren't about to sell a certain line of detergents in some states and different detergents in others, so the manufactures removed the ingredient from their entire product line. Why is this important? Phosphates were the active ingredient within the detergent. Without it, detergents wouldn't activate. And without activating, the detergent residue would simply be left within the tub settled upon the contents -- thus the pictures you've produced. The solution is relatively simple -- when loading the dishwasher you want to become accustomed to scrapping the plates to remove the larger pits or bones, BUT LEAVE THE REST OF THE DEBRIS. It is the grease that allows the detergent to activate and do the job as it's intended and thereby resolving one of your major problems.

Secondly is that you've shown plastics that display residue as well. In part, the first step of this solution will help with this remedy as well. I'm listing this separately because plastics are something that are difficult for any dishwasher to dry. At best, if the dishwasher has fan assisted drying, it may help, but not completely dry the plastics within any dishwasher. Kitchenaid is one of the very best American designed dishwasher -- this doesn't mean that it is built within the U.S. but rather, that it uses a design philosophy that is common within the U.S. -- that of using a type of Calrod element to heat the water and dry the contents. As such, you should ALWAYS PLACE PLASTIC CONTENTS IN THE TOP RACK(S). Having a water softener is of benefit, and generally will produce longer use of any water based appliance. In either case, rinse aids are important to allow less water spots after the dishwasher is completed. With that said, you may still find it necessary to hand dry some of the plastic items within the dishwasher tub.

Lastly, you're now saying that water is being left in the bottom of the tub. It is very possible that this is because the filter now located in the bottom of each KItchenaid dishwasher has become plugged. This is good as it is doing what is intended. However you need to remove the filter, and empty it out within the trash. After a thorough rinsing, place it back within the bottom of the dishwasher tub.

I'd also like to address your difficulties with the range you suggest you're having. The error code you're getting should not be happening, but can quite possibly happen because of improper power input. Although replacing the power connection to the range would be suggested, if for nothing more because you don't want to continue using an older connection involving "burnt plastic." Frankly, I'd be more concerned that you're exposing yourself to a fire hazard. It would also be a good idea to have a certified electrician check the 220 power outlet the range is connected to, as it may be responsible for the whole problem.

Hopefully this all helps and you'll find yourself being extremely happy with your Kitchenaid products.

• Da
      Mar 05, 2018

@Shaun R. Shaun,

Quite frankly none of this helped. Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I honestly shouldn't have to be documenting my horrible experiences that happened in the first year, but I can't get anyone to really listen to me.

First of all, I did as you said and scraped leftovers in the trash and put less than clean dishes in the dishwasher. I only started "washing my dishes" when the dishwasher continued yielding a dirty result. And I don't mean used detergent, I just water cleaned everything off. So I tried turning up the water, getting mine tested, changing cleaning products, priming the water and using rinse aids. Still dirty most of the time.

Secondly, most of the time I put my plastics on the top only, sometimes another family member will use the bottom, but the dishes don't dry any better on top or bottom. I am even mindful to pull the bottom rack out first and move my way up to avoid spillage from above. Some glass items and silverware are still wet after the dry cycle completes, it does not discriminate against plastic on the bottom.

Third, I did check the filter and there was nothing in it to be rinsed off or out. The water just isn't draining.

As for the suggestions of what I need to do when it comes to my Range, shouldn't the technician who installed it, or came out the first time or the second time or now the third time just last week have known to check what you are suggesting? Should I really be responsible for having a certified electrician out to check what was working just fine with my old Range that I had the first year I lived here? And shouldn't Kitchenaid be concerned about burnt plastic and fire hazards if you are?

I am not paying any more out of pocket than I have to and shouldn't have to pay anything at all. And Shaun thank you for your comments, but your suggestions don't put me in any better of a situation than I was previously. Do you work for Whirlpool?

• Da
      Mar 06, 2018

@Danielle Lines And no Shaun, I am not happy with Kitchenaid. I went ahead and ordered the new Dishwasher and paid $115 more. I will not purchase Kitchenaid again. I called to tell them I accept the new machine and now I will wait another 7-10 days to get on the schedule for delivery.

Mar 08, 2018

Danielle, we regret to hear about your frustrations with your KitchenAid® Appliances. We see that you are working with our specialty team in regards to your concerns. Any further questions would need to be addressed through them at this time. KitchenAid® Social Care