Wells Fargo / service charges

1 2560 EL CAMINO REALCarlsbad, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 7607300692

I closed my account(s) with Wells Fargo over two years ago. Last year, I received a call from a collection agency trying to collect on $55 service charges from Wells Fargo. After further investigation, it turned out that the banker didn't close the accounts correctly and I had incurred $55 on my account. After a two-month ordeal, Wells Fargo credited my account and worked out the details with the collection agency.
A year later, I received another call from the collection agency with another $55 negative balance that I need to pay. Having gone through this before, I called the branch asking to speak with the manager. The teller (Lara ?) hung up on me. On my second attempt, she gave me the number for the overdraft department. So I called the overdraft department (Denis; extremly rude) who refused to even listen to me. He said that I need to talk to the branch manager because the charge is over $50. So I called Lara again. She said that her manager was at a meeting and that she was going to call me ASAP, if I left my number with her. I did.
No call. So I called the branch again and asked to speak with the manager. Megan (same manager as the one from last year) answered and said that there is nothing she can do to help. She said that I needed to pay the $55. I asked if she could check my account and she said no. Her excuse was that there is no history and I should contact the overdraft department.
Reluctantly, she looked up my SS# and said that it was my savings account that was not closed correctly. When I asked her what she was going to do to help me correct this, she said "nothing, I don't want to discuss this with you. I told you ... just pay the $55, there is nothing you can do." I asked her if there was another department that I could speak with. She said no ...it is just me and there is nothing you can do but pay the amount.

I cannot believe this. Should I set aside $55 every year to pay to Wells Fargo for one of the accounts that I closed several years ago. The problem is thatthere is not where to go. There is no one that can help. I should just pay whatever it is and shut up. There is no regualtion of any sort and firms like wells Fargo are given every opportunity to exploit customers in order to make money.
Can anyone help?

Comments

2nd of May, 2008

Everyone should sue them in small claims court. Try it. They will settle

• Pa
      22nd of May, 2008

I have just experienced the exact same thing with the Debt agency haressing me about $25.72 service charges on an account with Wells Fargo which I closed in Jan 06 (leaving $80.00) but they didn't close (Nov 06) until my money had ran out and then I owed them money??????
    No letters, phone calls just haressment from a debt agency called ERC.
    I want to know how to file a complaint about this company.

• De
      20th of Feb, 2009

This happened to my son today. We closed the account in January and in Feb we get harassing collection calls for overdrafts on the account.

We went to the branch in Bothell WA and were rudely treated, and our complaints fell on deaf ears.

The lady (manager) would not even listen nor would she take my check from an account with another bank I have had for 15 years to settle the account.

She stood up an announced that we should co get cash for an atm and then come back.

I feel just like I was robbed today

Deborah

• Cy
      8th of Jun, 2010

Funny... Not sure if other banks do this... But I got hit up on a "Cash backed/withdrawl" credit card I had opened 20 years ago w/ First Union. I made one payment on it of $211 and never used it again. Supposedly they saw where it had been supposedly "closed". Though I will have to say, They did take care of it... hopefully... And made sure it was "closed" out properly. The CS rep I dealt w/ already had 3 other similar complaints he was having to deal w/ that day also.