Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depo / tomato blight

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Walmart, Lowe's, and Home Depo can not be bothered to check the quality of the cheap plants they offer. As a result tomato blight has taken over the North East US. I personally lost more than $50.00 of high quality Burpee plants that had been thriving. And of course because I knew better than to buy from these retailers I am out the money, the hard work, and the joy that growing your own food provides. When you're paying $3.00 apiece for gassed, flavorless, mealy, slave labor harvested tomatoes you know who to thank.

Li

Comments

• Jg
      8th of Aug, 2009

I hardly think the blight is due to these stores. Tomato blights strike sometimes every 3rd year, regardless of where the plants or seeds come from. That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. A lot of time blight is caused by too wet weather or too cool weather, or both, among other things.

Even perfectly healthy plants can develop blight when conditions are right.

• Li
      11th of Aug, 2009

Maybe you need to do some research about things before you shoot off your mouth Jgracey. I have spent over a month talking with my local cooperative extension. I also contacted the wholesaler who firmly points the finger at these retailers. Why not keep your uneducated comments to yourself.

• Li
      15th of Aug, 2009

Dumb is putting in your two cents without knowing what you're talking about.

• Co
      24th of Sep, 2009

I used to work in the garden dept at Walmart and I did reject and send away two shipments of bug infested plants. I was new to the job and wanted to do a good job. I was talked to by managment and was told to just recieve the shipment no matter how bad the plants were. You get what you pay for. I shop at Walmart as a last resort when I can not find the item any other store. In our town Walmart got a 10 year subsidy to pay no property taxes. Corporate thugs who are willing to take any subsidy that they can get for more profits. Capitalism at its best. Boooyahhhhhhhhhhhh. Corporate welfare just gotta love it.