Walmart / customer service

North Vancouver, BC, Canada Review updated:

@ Anthony Henry: I had a similar experience at Walmart with a pair of shoes. I've been buying their George's brand shoes for a couple years now, no problems and they were comfortable. My shoes were starting to show wear, so bought a new pair. After wearing it once, the vinyl started to peel off the fabric. Thinking this shouldn't be a problem to refund, went back to Walmart and asked for a refund. The lady at the till sends me to the shoe dept to find another pair as if to confirm that this shoe was actually in stock and purchased within the timeframe that was indicated on the receipt. After returning to the till with the shoes, she asked me if I spoke to someone in the shoe dept, and I said, there's no one in the shoe dept. She picks up the phone, dials the shoe department and speaks in her native tongue to this other associate, which I thought was extremely rude. After she hangs up, this sloppy looking fella shows up with this look on his face and his barcode gun as if he's ready to battle me. Before he even looks at the shoe, he starts to tell me they don't refund damaged shoes. Obviously he was given a heads up in philipino before he even arrived. I told him i wanted a refund because I just bought these shoes 2 days ago, wore it once and the vinyl is peeling, and I have bought other shoes like this before and it has never happened. He accuses me of kicking something with both my feet to cause the damage which I was appalled by as if I would purposely damage a new pair of shoes. He then proceeds to tell me that no customer has ever bought in a used pair of shoes before and no other store in the world would refund under these circumstances and you get what you pay for. (hmmm, i spend hundreds at Apple because they have excellent customer service and they have never questioned me about a defective product). I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with these people so i asked for the manager. He tells me that there's no manager and that I would have to deal with him. So I pointed up at the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign on their wall and told them, I'm completely not satisfied with the product or their service and I want to speak to a manager NOW and i wasn't going to leave until I do. The lady picks up the phone, and all of a sudden, not one but 2 managers magically appear. I calmly explained to them that I was not satisfied with their product, wanted a refund and told them I was not impressed with their staff accusing me of trying to defraud their store. The manager told the lady at the till to give me my refund. I wanted nothing to do with Walmart again. It bothered me enough to consider calling their district manager to complain about this until I Googled about Walmart Customer service and found literally hundreds of other complaints scattered across the internet about bad customer service and experiences even at the management level. So my alternative is to post about my experience and share it with others so customers can make an informed decision as to whether they want to spend their money to keep people like this employed. I will never shop at Walmart again and I will pay the extra dollars to get better service and products elsewhere.

Lm

Comments

17th of Dec, 2008

I have been a customer of Wal-Mart for years. I had a prescription transferred so I could pick it up on my lunch break. So I called it in first thing in the morning at 9:00am and told the associate about the transfer and I would be by to pick it up at 12:00pm. She said that would be fine. Then, I called and made sure that it was ready before I came to pick it up. The pharmacist said he had to call the other pharmacy and get the transfer and for me to wait "just like everybody else" because there were other people ahead of me. I told him I had already called first thing in the morning and they'd said they'd have it ready. He says he will do it then. I call back a little later and I am told it is all ready for me to pick up. I went to the pharmacy to pick up the prescription. I stood in line for 15 minutes while the only clerk looked for peoples prescriptions; walking in circles and taking an extreme amount of time on each person. While the clerk had already been looking for the order for the lady in front of me for quite some time, I told her that my prescription was ready and could I get it? She said "NO, You have to wait your turn!" Then she stood there doing nothing, waiting for someone to bring her the first ladies prescription. Finally, she asks the first lady to step aside while they locate it. Now it is my turn and I ask for my prescription. She proceeds to go through the whole ordeal of finding my supposed "ready" prescription. I leaned over to see her looking through random piles of prescriptions for the third time and told her my prescription was done; I had already checked. Then the pharmacist ( Vincent Collin) comes down and proceeds to tell me (in front of the whole store) that I had to wait my turn like everybody else and I needed to get in line. I told him it was my turn and I was next in line. Then he tells me "Who do you think you are? You can't talk to me like that." I told him he shouldn't speak to customers that way and I just wanted my medicine and to get out of there. He says to the line of people behind me " Does anyone mind if this lady cuts in front of you?" Angry and humiliated now, I tell him again "I am next in line!" He says I can't have my medicine and to go somewhere else. A woman in line responds to him saying I have over 5 items to be checked out. I have about 10 small items, candy and such. It was never a problem before and I didn't see any sign indicating that was the rule. They refuse to ring up my purchases. I have to ask the pharmacist please several times can I just have my medicine? He is standing there with my medication in his hand. He says "NO! You have to calm down you should go somewhere else!" He said he was the manager and he did not want me to come back. Finally, after I don't leave the counter, he let's the clerk ring up the prescription and walks off.

• Si
      21st of Jan, 2009

went to buy lcd tv and was sent from martinsville store to danville store no stock they said but 6 in danville virginia and when we got ther 45 minutes drive later they tell us yes they have six but they are out for repair and the manager was the 1 telling us this now that makes me think walmart is selling refurbished items as new is that fair to the consumer NO . the manager argued with us about this for an hour and will i shop in walmart again NO . How would you feel if you where there . It was the worst experience I have ever gone through . And the managers seem to not understand CUSTOMER SERVICE OR CUSTOMER RESPECT . i would never think of treating anyone like this EVER

• Je
      24th of Feb, 2009

I HAVE A COMPLAINT, I THINK IT IS TERRIBLE HOW THEY MAKE THE GREETERS STAND UP ALL DAY! A LOT OF THEM HAVE DISABILITYS AND ARE OLD, THE COUSTOMERS HATE SEEING THEM HAVE TO STAND UP ALL DAY, IAM ONE OF THEM. I HAVE ALSO SEENE THEM DOING WINDOWS, IT IS NOT RIGHT TO TREAT THESE PEOPLE THAT WAY! THEY DO NOT HAVE TO STAND IN A COLD PLACE AND STAND UP ALL DAY TO GREET PEOPLE, THEY SHOULD BE SHOWN MORE RESPECT THEN THAT.WE LOVE OUR GREETERS AND THEY SHOULD GET THE RESPECT THEY GIVE US!
    ONE GREETER WHO HAD A DISABILITY SAT DOWN FOR A MIN AND WAS TOLD TO GET UP THAT SHE COULD NOT SIT DOWN UNLESS SHE WAS IN A WEELCHAIR!THAT IS OUTRAGEIOUS! THIS IS A RULETHAT SHOULD BE BANNED!

• Ka
      5th of Sep, 2009

our WalMart (Fernley, Nev) has a policy of CLOSING the pharmacy in the middle of the day for a half hour. Now I could see why the pharmamcist would need lunch ( who doesn't?) but to close the entire pharmacy while there are 20 people waiting makes no sense. It already takes an hour to get a prescription from intake to counter so why not just send the pharmacist to lunch and rotate the clerks so that they can have a break and take care of the customers that are waiting for meds that have been filled. I went to WM, ran into this problem and went to a local pharmacy and got the same medication, with a smile, cheaper and in only 20 min. . I will NOT fill a prescription at WM any more. You don't want my business, I don't want your BS.

• Wa
      13th of Sep, 2009

I think this youtube video says it all!

10th of Dec, 2009

we were in the deptford walmart and being i am on wic and 81/2 months pregant handed the cashier Tom op#00000581 was very rude and apparently was not faminular with the wic system. I even showed him what i could get and still argued with me about it. One of the checks had 36oz of ceral and took one box of ceral away and said i couldn't get that mind you i only had one box of 12oz. After i was done i found and supervisor in the front end she got the wic check and rerang it. I feel that i was treated unfairly by the cashier Tom.

10th of Dec, 2009

The sad thing is when people truly need help there are always people that want to make you feel like you are a low life for food stamps. There is nothing wrong with accepting help and I would go to the manager the next time that happens and let them know how you are being treated and you will not stand for it. Good luck!

• Bi
      11th of Dec, 2009

What is WIC?

• Dr
      13th of Dec, 2009

Christina,

I use to work for WalMart as a CSM, and I am familar with WIC. Sometimes there are cereals that you think you can get but you aren't allowed because of ingrediants. Tom may have been only doing what the register system was telling him to do. The register flags items when they are not WIC approved and will make a tone and lock up the register until he clears out the lock. This can get very frustrating for the cashier as well as for the customer. As for the Supervisor correcting the issue he or she may have overrode the the item as a courtesy to you as a customer. I know I did that on several occassions. Just watch your cashier when you go next time and ask for specifics when they say it is not approved on WIC dont get defensive with them. They aren't tring to make you feel bad for being on wic they are just tring to keep from getting fired for overriding something they shouldn't. And if you feel your cashier isn't doing it how they should be ask them to call for a CSM to ring up the transaction. Or to at least supervise it. As for those of you that are putting her down get over yourselfs. Take it from me, there are people who have pleanty of money that apply for and obtain wic.

• NonnieMouse, you ask for free handouts everywhere you go and look for the slightest thing to complain about to get free handouts. Before being banned you have asked for coupons to restaurants, gift cards, gas money ect. This is from someone who claims they make more money than all the posters combined. You don't need all the free handouts you are beggingfor, however this person does need the food to feed her child/children. The only one who should be ashamed is you Tracy/Cythia or whatever your personality is this time. You ask for free handouts and claim to make 90, 000 a year. If anyone should be ashamed it should be you because you make enough to live comfortable and try to take from those that need money the most. So hush up and treat people with respect.

Christina Zane, The cashier is just doing his job. Don't take it personally, he is just doing what he was trained to do.

• Li
      30th of Dec, 2009

I've worked for Walmart for many years and know how the WIC system works. This is an example. A family of four in Pennsylvania can receive WIC if they make less than $44, 000.00 a year. You obviously do not need to qualify for food stamps or welfare to receive this. WIC is considered a training program to teach parents to feed their children healthy foods. You also can receive WIC when you are pregnant and ends when you quit breast feeding. There are a list of items you can get with your WIC checks and you may not go over the amount on anything, even by a fraction of an ounce. You must follow the list to the letter. The program for each child ends when you exceed the income limit or the child's fifth birthday.

17th of Feb, 2010

Well today i went to walmart to return at item that was not working properly, but i dint ask the recipe so ask the person "can i retune it with out a recipe" and she said let me call the manager. the manager came and told me let me see what i can do. she open the box and saw that a number locate in a cable dint match the box so she told me i cant help you the serial number number its not the same. i tried to explain to her that the number had nothing to do with the box, that it was for people at netgear to help customers better. she look at me really angry and said are you trying to tell me how to do my job, i told her ' no all im trying to do is show you that the number is not a serial number " she said i dont care what you think i know what im doing. at this point i was really frustrated and told what if a buy the same product and open it in front of you and number in the cable dont match the the number in the box, can i return it then, she reply by saying "yes but you have to buy it" then she walked away and dint even said anything. i bought the item again and call her. i opened the box in front of her i showed her the number in the cable was the same as the number in the other cable. she look at me reayl mad and told me i cannot help you if dont have the recipe. ( i speeded 4 hours of my life in the store waiting for her because every time she left she took like an hour to return to customer service for nothing )

• Sw
      17th of Feb, 2010

Wal-mart pharmacy has always been good to me until lately. I had to wait several days before they finally got my diabetes medicine filled. They promiced to have another medicine filled by monday, i get there and they don't have it. I told them i needed a refill on my syringes for my humalog, i told them 4 times for my humalog. i get home and the syringes were for lantus and not even close to what i use, so now i have to go pay for more needles and have to wait an extra day to take my shots. That means i am diabetic and i have to miss 8 shots because of their neglegant mistake. My friend is 7 months pregnant and they gave her someone else presciptions. They don't care about their customers at all. After their screw up i ended up in the emergency room very sick. So would i recommend wal-mart pharmacy to anyone? Absolutely Not.

• Am
      6th of Jun, 2010

Watch the charges to your credit & debit cards. The cahrged mine 3+ times and kept telling me to swipe again because it didn't go through.
    It went through every time! My bank could reverse the credit purchases but when they had me do it as debit the money came right out of my account and couldn't be put back.

• Th
      16th of Sep, 2010

I call BS on this. That is not even possible with their systems. The order would have to physically be rang up "3 + times".

Not only is it not physically possible, but you didn't give any specific information. If you had a legitimate claim, you wouldn't give a vague "3+ times" - especially if you were on the phone with the bank for a guaranteed hour. Then to top that off, you claim your bank couldn't credit it back to your account because it was debit, not credit. The immediate indicator that it was a transaction error would be the time index and the identical price - any bank would immediately recognize that. Plus, anyone who contacted their bank rather than going back to the store to correct the issue with a manager would be an inconsiderate ###.

The first thing the bank would do in order to initiate a credit to your account would be to ask you if you contacted the store to try and resolve the issue. Being that there is contact information on your receipt and it is a local store, that would be quite easy.

Elementary, my dear Watson.

18th of Feb, 2011

My wife, two children and i went into the altoona walmart to spend a little income tax money, ...well alot of income tax money. we went to the electronics department and looked at a very nice toshiba satelite. Went to the customer service desk and asked for help. The silly man came over with some sort of gun, scanned the product we wanted and just walked away, ...no "ill be right back" or even "ill get a manager to help you in a minute" he just walked off...I realize walmart hires "less fortunate" folks but when they are in a customer service environment, at least train them to do customer service...anyway...my wife and two children wait in the small aisle for 10 mins...finally the less patient of the two of us, myself...walks up to the silly man and asked if we can get the laptop and go...he says "you need a manager and i dont know how long its gonna be, you just need to wait here". After feeling the blood rush to my head, and knowing the man is "less fortunate", I kindly ask him if we can shop around in a different area while we wait and you can call for us over the intercom..."im not allowed to use that, you'll just have too wait in the aisle" So we do, waiting and waiting for a half an hour with a 6 year old and a 3 year old, who by this time are getting EXTREMELY impatient, FINALLY "less fortunate" comes back and unlocks the case himself...???... and takes it to the desk for us to pay.

my "beef" is if im gonna spend close to 600 dollars in this department...dont you want to treat me a little better?
    If it werent for my wife wanting that exact laptop, we would have taken our business elsewhere.

• Gr
      18th of Feb, 2011

"less fortunate"...What the [censored] does that mean...I think you are the less fortunate one for having that kind of attitude and refering to people as "less fortunate". Just because someone works at Walmart does not make them "less fortunate". All people in this world have problems but that does not make them "less fortunate". You also refer to him as "silly". I am a pretty silly person too. Am i "less fortunate". NO! It's people like you who make this world the way it is. If your so much better than them, why would you shop there? Why didn't you take your business to a more upscale store where "silly" and "less fortunate" people don't work. Get a life and Grow The [censored] Up.

• Fd
      19th of Feb, 2011

You tell us exactly the kind of ### you are with silly man this and "unfortuante one" that. Rat ###

• Po
      19th of Feb, 2011

How do you know this man is "less fortunate"? Do you realize how much of a douche you sound like for assuming that?

30th of Jun, 2011

to all you who think im the ###...this guy stood around and did nothing for almost an hour before coming to assist me the first time...then left me to wait again...he was standing around doing absolutly nothing before i got nasty with him. he obviously needed to be at home on disability rather than sucking off walmart for a pay YOU deal with someone like this and then decide 4 yourself

30th of Jun, 2011

hes "less fortunite" because he cant use the intercom like most of the walmart employees

• Pi
      4th of Sep, 2011

http://www.walmarI ordered Lighting McQueen 6V four wheeler for my grandson on walmart.com, as I was leaving GA heading out for a 6 hour drive to KY I stopped by my LOCAL Walmart to pick up my order, after waiting 20 or so minutes someone FINALLY showed up at the counter. She tries to pull up my order and says that the order is not there, NO explanation, just that it wasnt there, I told her that she needed to find someone that could explain to me why my order wasnt there, and that "It's just not here" a few miutes later a manager came out only to tell me that there is no record of my order. They told me that I needed to pull up the order on my email for proof of purchase. They then said they would call corporate to find out where my order was. Keep in mind that I have a 6 hour drive ahead of me, and this present was for my grandson's 1st birthday, they come back to tell me that my order is at a Walmart that I have NO idea of the location, needless to say by this point I am very upset, 1st: why would I place an order to a Walmart that I have no idea where it is, 2nd: the gift was for my grandsons 1st birthday, 3rd I had a very long drive ahead of me, 4th: The customer service was appalling they could have cared less about my situation. I asked to call corporate, the manager, acting manager, looks me in the face and spits out a number I told her that my phone was dead where they made me pull up my email and I needed to use the store phone, she looked at me as if I had 4 eyes. I begged them to help me and they would do NOTHING although they did in fact the item in the store, they said all i could do was repurchase the item in the store, and wait 3 days for the return of my online order, I do not have $60 to pay twice, I explained to them that i had a tank full of gas and enough money in my pocket to pay for gas to KY and back home, and to buy my grandbabies birthday cake, and that I didnt have $60 to buy the same item. They basically just stood there and looked at me..i went to the customer service counter and asked to call corporate, they did not hesitate to take me to the phone and then give me the number to dial. I live .6 miles from the Chastain Meadows location and I will never return to that store, i realize that me as a person will not effect the overall $$$$ amount of income coming into the store, but I will tell everyone that i know how bad the service is at this location. My order should have not been sent to the location that it was but I found the store thank to my friend I picked up the car and was on my way to see my grandson. My experience at the atual location that I picked up my order was great, the experience at the Chastain Meadows, Kennesaw, GA location was horriblet.com

• Dl
      16th of Oct, 2011

I had unhappy experience with the cashier at Wal-Mart store #5091 (Receipt ID #:7CL2KV1S4267).
    After checking out, I took several additional plastic bags. The cashier stopped me and said to me "You should ask me first. You are stealing bags". Then I asked him "Can I have some additional bags". The cashier replied to me "No. Policy doesn't allow that". I went to customer service to find manager. Surprisingly, the manager was the one who stood there, observed everything and did nothing. This makes me even more unset.

Because customers take items by themselves, Wal-Mart should have a sign to ask customers not taking additional bags.
    Wal-Mart should train the cashiers and managers how to deal with the situation instead of accusing customer "stealing bags".

• Jb
      16th of Oct, 2011

fail troll fails

• Re
      20th of Oct, 2011

Customer service at the Colby, Ks Walmart is horrible. You cannot find any one in the store who will say "How can I help you?' When you ask for help in an area they will say that is not my area and call on their walkie talkie for help but no one ever shows up to help you or they will use the intercom system and page customer service to that area, but no one ever shows up.You can ask five different employees and get the exact same response. But I am sure that if you were to mix your own paint, get your own photo's or jewlery from behind the counter there would be a rapid response!!!

21st of Oct, 2011

That walmart must be alot like the one i work at. I am nice to everyone and speak as i walk by but we are way under staffed and if affects customer service. I am one person yet i am expected to run photo, toys, electronics, site to store, same day pick up and now layaway too. It has become ridiculous. They have changed the way they do things to help there bottom dollar and i apologize for your crappy service.

• Ne
      3rd of Dec, 2011

On Black Friday I did my xmas purchase online. Via email they notified me that my purchase was in I waited for 1 half hour when someone assisted me with my order they bring out a box I ask that it be opened prior to me taking home. When the box was opened came to find out there was a $20 plastic toy instead of the Laptop and case that I had ordered. Then they begin to look for it in the meantime the girl that was assisting me left TO LUNCH and leaving me there when someone else comes out I ask what had happened where is my order? They scramble around looking for it again they come back an hour later and tell me my package was given to someone else a day ago, they stated that I would have to wait for the customer to come back with my order 2HOURS later someone else comes out and tells me if I look for it in electronics that I could bring it back there and take that... I DID MY SHOPPING ONLINE FOR THAT ONE REASON DID NOT WANT TO SHOP AT THE STORE. I called customer service but still to no avail 1 hour later a female assistant store manager comes out and tries to tell me to pick something else which I did not want anything they had at the store (again wasting my time) in the meantime an elder man came thru with a packing and just by coincidence I asked him if he that package was given to him by accident he stated it had. And surely that was my laptop.

I was irate the Assistant store manager would think that my time was worth $20??????? she hands over a gift card that was an insult to that 20 dollars was worth my 3 1half hour wait at the store.

• Ia
      3rd of Dec, 2011

Did the package have your name and info? If yes, since the box was opened in front of you, it may be an issue with the online service, not the store. But the good thing is you opened it in front of them so you couldn't be held responsible for the loss.

• Ia
      3rd of Dec, 2011

Faces, I agree. Am I supposed to give points on a post if I agree? I saw points on another complaint response.

11th of Dec, 2011

I was informed via email that my Site-to-Store order was available for pickup and I went to the Beavercreek store 5 Dec, they could not find it and said the Walmart logistics system is a mess and it probably was not there and that I should come back in a few days. I waited for 45 minutes for them to look for it. I returned on 8 Dec and they still could not find it and told me that there was nothing they can do but cancel the item. I asked if I could cancel the entire order and they stated that only the item that was not there, there would be a fee to cancel the entire order. I told them that I would not accept receipt of any part of the order until the missing item was available and asked if they could call me when it was available...they agreed and after another 1 hour and 15 minutes of waiting for them to find it I left with the comment from the cashier that it was likely placed on the floor and sold. Walmart of Beavercreek called me on 9 Dec and told me that the entire order was there and ready for pickup so my wife went to the store to pick it up...guess what, the microwave cart was still not ready to be picked up and they had no idea where it was at, this took another hour. We left with no resolution and I have no idea what to do now because I was given no advice other than to cancel the order. Well, that is not acceptable. I would like to know what Walmart intends to do to rectify this situation and not only make me whole but to compensate me for the additional costs of time and labor associated with repeated trips to your store. I believe I am entitled to agreeable and reasonable compensation under the terms of offer and acceptance under the Uniformed Commercial Code. I would like to receive a reply NLT: 14 Dec 2011 with a reasonable way ahead.

• De
      4th of Jun, 2012

customer service once again has denied me of my refund and has let there personal opion get in the way of walmarts terms and conditions according to the refund policy and is very confused between a walmart credit card and a walmart debit card can i have the regional magager contact me a.s.a.p my name is Deno Easter phone is 928 239-5940 email is [protected]@hotmail.com

18th of Jul, 2012

I have 3 kids and one on the way. My two sons and one daughter have two different fathers. I have just got a child support order placed on the father of my two sons, whom is also the father of my unborn. The father is an illegal alien from Mexico who is now allowed to stay in the country thanks to President Obama. I got my first check from him the other day through the child support enforcement in my state. I decided to use the child support money towards my rent and utilities and continue to use my food stamp money for food. I went to Walmart for my weekly grocery trip and they denied my food stamp card due to the child support order taking effect. I still can't pay my new rent and utilities and buy food for my kids at the same time. Even though the illegal Alien father is now allowed to stay in the country, he still has a felony record and is in a gang, making it harder for him to seek employment. He obtained a work order after President Obama's Dream Act order and was able to obtain employment, but then lost the job after he assaulted and threatened a supervisor and was subsequently arrested. He is out on bail now and has obtained a new work permit and is hoping to get on at Long John Silvers. Walmart doesn't want to help the unfortunate. So much for Save money/live better."

• Ro
      18th of Jul, 2012

Considering the long, unrelated back story that could have been simplified as "Walmart denied my food stamps because I have child support order taking effect, " I can't decide if you are merely long blaming Walmart for not breaking the law to accommodate the poor choices you've made with your life in a long winded manner or if you're a troll who over played their hand.

• Br
      18th of Jul, 2012

Typical trainwreck. Nothing new, nothing of value.

• Wi
      18th of Jul, 2012

Walmart pharmacy also sells birth control...(hint hint)

• Gh
      18th of Jul, 2012

Then you write a review Brenda.

• Mi
      18th of Jul, 2012

This is definitely a fake complaint!

Best Best Advice

Next time you're in Walmart, visit the lawn and garden department. Purchase a lawn chair reweb kit. Go home and use the webbing to tie your knees together. That should help reduce the amount of OUR money that is used to recharge your food stamp card.

• He
      18th of Jul, 2012

Oh please, the state would have put a block on the food stamps so no store could take it until you get it redone taking into account the added income. If this guy is such a jerk why did you lay on your back a third time and get pregnant with his kid? get a job, find a way to take care of yourself and your kids. My grandmother was widowed at the age of 42, she had 9 children(6 still at home) she worked 2 jobs, walked there because she could not afford a car and still managed to take care of her business without taking a penny of government money

• Wh
      4th of Aug, 2012

Why are you knocking the illegal alien father? He was good enough for you when you were making those kids that we all have to support. Now that you are not together you blame Obama for him being here?