Walmart / biased return policy!

I have been a loyal walmart customer for over 20 years, spending thousands of dollars there. In that amount of time I probably returned 3 things to that store. I have never had a problem until this new policy there of returns went into effect. I had received a gift of a digital camera, which was too complicated for me to use, and given as an anonymous gift for a mission trip to me at our church. They did not leave receipt or name, for obvious reasons but did put a note on it that it was bought at walmart. It was sku'd at Walmart and they sell this camera.

When I brought it in, I explained the situation. I was told that, the only thing they would do is... give me another camera. I didn't want money back, but a gift card so I could purchase things for kids for Christmas that wouldn't have anything. They refused to do that, even though they sku'd the camera up, it showed in stock. They said it was due to the money involved. Well, they had no problem TAKING the money for the camera. It was in an unopened box, with tape still attached. The sign at Walmart says they are ready to always satisfy the customer with return, credit or repair. I didn't want another camera==why bring a camera back that you aren't going to use, to only get another one? Makes no sense at all.

Had I bought 600.00 worth of merchandise and returned it all, there would not have been a problem. However, because I returned an ELECTRONICS item, there was. I feel as though they are now treating all their customers as thieves, since they refuse to return ANY electronic item. Had they looked my name up, they would have seen my many, MANY purchases over the years there.

This is so wrong and I am hoping that someone will see this, contact me and allow these kids to get a Christmas, instead of a camera sitting in a closet, collecting dust.

N  7th of Dec, 2006 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Can't blame Wal-Mart for this. In their eyes you are returning an item without a receipt and asking for cash. Think about it. If you were manager and people were returning items for cash with no form of receipt what would you do? Soon you would close up for lack of money. You know that the camera was purchased there but a sealed box even with the SKU on it means nothing. Maybe you can post a note at church asking for the donor to provide the receipt. One thing here does disturb me. The camera was intended for you to use on a mission. You want to return it in order to buy gifts for the kids. If I was the camera donor I would have been upset that there were no pictures of the children displayed at church because I believe that was the intent of the camera.
D  27th of Feb, 2007 by
I have to agree with PassingBy. I mean, you got a gift for free... sorry you didn't like it. That's not wal-mart's fault. Just because it had a note stuck to it saying it came from from wal-mart does not mean that wal-mart has to give you $600. The problem wasn't because it was an electronics item - it was because you didn't have a receipt, because it was a gift. Sell it on e-bay if you really want the money that bad, or give it to someone who really wants it. Either way, you're not out any money since it was a gift. Jeez. Some Christian you are!

Someone gave you the camera to use on a church mission, not to buy your kids gifts. I'm sorry they didn't get Christmas, but that's not wal-mart's fault. If whoever gave you the camera hadn't given it to you, they still wouldn't be having Christmas. So, lady, what's your problem?
N  15th of Sep, 2007 by
At one time, you probably could have done what you wanted to do. All of the other, dishonest customers, ruined that for the rest of us. Stores have no choice now but to tighten their return and refund policies.

How much should they lose due to shoplifted items being returned with the "oops, I lost my receipt" excuse?
How often should they have to take back items which have been used and can (should) not be resold?

By the way, Walmart doesn't give a hoot how much you spend there. Do you think whatever it is you spend there is even a drop in the bucket of their bottom line? Unless you spend 5-6 figures there each and every month, a store the size of Walmart isn't even going to notice your going away.
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Wal-Mart store #5363 in Love Joy, GA need to fire all of the present management staff and hire all new managers, that treat the associates like they are human beings. That store is one of the worse stores in Georgia. I wish I had enough time to report all of the things that go on at that store. I can not use my name in this complaint, because they (managers) will make an example of me to the others. Most of the long term employees are afraid to say anything, because they WILL get fired.
A  2nd of Jan, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Last year my mother very thrilled about being a grandmother again went and purchased me some maternity clothes very early in my pregnancy which i lost beofre any of the items were worn. I took them back to the store with reciept in hand and was told that i could only exchange for clothing items. That was fine with me being at a season change i knew my 3 year old would be needing some new clothes so I went and picked some clothes out for her. I returned to the "Customer Service" to be told they I could only exchange for items from the same department. So I asked before going through the store if that would mean from the womens department. I was told no it had to be the maternity section. Finally after having to voice my heartache to a CSM and 2 managers I was allowed "against company policy" to exchange for clothing items out of the womens department only. It was a big pain in the ###.
A  6th of Mar, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I had a similar problem with my walmart, Seriously how much money dose that company make? Only 3 % of guest return or complain and the rest don't return at all. So what you get a scammer once in a while is it not worth it to take care of your REAL LOYAL guest and roll the dice. Add up what you spend at a walmart in a month a few hundred bucks, and Thay cant return the favor with TRUST? Sad, Sad...Shame on WAL_MART SHame.
D  28th of Mar, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I'm just amased how in store 1739 ( Washington, Pa ) that Wal-Mart can fire two assocates that worked there for 15 years for telling there family members that the department manager marked down a toy in her department. The family members did come in and purchase the toy, but Wal-Mart LP fired the two assocates, but not the department manager who did the mark down and told them about the mark down. Looks like a setup to me. Wal-mart is well known for getting rid of any long time assocates. If you work there and you get close to 7 years in, be on guard, they are coming after you.
A  29th of May, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
To the management of Walmart of Amite, La.
I was in walmart on 05/28/08 at 2:32pm
I went to shop for office supplies and
paper products for my business. When I was there I found that the shelves where not well
stocked and the prices where not on shelves
for the customer to know how much they would have been charged. Also, products where in
baskets.I found that the appearence of the parking lot was full of buggies and the greeter always are sitting down. The store always has trash around. The bathrooms are in much need for cleaning. I would like to say customer service is much to be desired.
A  5th of Jun, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
The first few posters are an example of the idiocy that Wal-Mart is soaked in. They couldn't be bothered to really read your whole post, and decided to insult you for asinine assumptions. Wanting store credit to buy gifts for underprivileged children became wanting cash back for your own kids. Wal-Mart isn't the problem, it's just a symptom of the arrogant and self righteous lazy thinking that so many people love to do.

It's people like that that allow the Wal-Marts of the world to continue to do whatever they want to.
N  12th of Jun, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Bloommington, Ind. WalMart evacuated due to bomb threat, tells employee's if they want paid for their scheduled hours to drive 20 miles away and finish shift at Martinsville WalMart or Sams Club. What a great Company to work for!
A  1st of Aug, 2008 by
Dishonest people ruin it for the rest of us. Try to sell the camera on ebay for close to retail since it is unopened.
N  2nd of Aug, 2008 by
I have had my oil change @ Wal-Mart on Charlotte Pike in Nashville Tn for Years. I was in there on 8/2/08 for about two hrs to get a Value Plus oil change .They did not all that the Vaule Plus calls for .The only work that they did was change oil, and top off washer fluid.My receipt # was st# 0659, op#00007390, te#90, tr#6935
Thanks Lester Kelton
N  12th of Aug, 2008 by
Why not give the camera as a gift?
A  6th of Oct, 2008 by
Corning, NY
Just want to add that I NEVER have problems in Horseheads, NY or Mansfield, PA location. Just Corning.

I bought a Philips web-cam & headset combo for about $20. Not a big deal, but my hard earned money nonetheless. After getting it home, I found the headset was missing. So I took it back, and using the receipt, even exchanged it for the last one on the shelf. From there, I can't say what happened to the receipt, or if I even got it back during the course of the exchange for that matter.
The second one, I found, didn't work at all, not even for a second. So I took it back. Since I couldn't find the receipt, I figured I'd even exchange it again even though I had been having bad luck. For a couple weeks, they didn't have the same web-cam, or any for that matter. They had maybe one of the most expensive one there. Finally, they got another Philips in stock, but it was a newer model, so I came to the conclusion I got the last of the passing model. I didn't figure this to be a problem, because the new model was the same price.
In the meantime, I left the defective product boxed up (the headset had never even been removed the plastic packaging) on a sill in front of bay windows. In no time, the box yellowed slightly, giving it an aged effect.
When I took the product in, they scanned it at the door to put the return tag on it. No problem. UPC came up, as well as the price. I got the other web-cam for the same price and went to the service desk. I also grabbed another web-cam (one for me, one for my husband, as he now is traveling for work), a different brand, as I still didn't have faith in the Philips brand. I paid for the one while my sister waited at the service desk to exchange the other. After checking out my cart full of goodies (silly me for spending a dime there), I went to the service desk. Even though the item had the UPC sticker on it for the return (obviously they had sold it there) the girl claimed she would have to call electronics for them to verify they sell it there. I could tell that she was thinking it was old by the way she was looking the box over. The electronics representative came up and denied the refund. They claimed that without a receipt to "PROVE" that I purchased it from them, they couldn't even do an even exchange. Funny. I have NEVER had that problem before, even with other items from the electronics department that had cost much more! I told the girl to forget it, I wasn't going to purchase another Philips one then. I wasn't going to spend more money on a brand that had let me down twice now. She apologized. Although the way it was said, I'm not sure it was sincere. I have contacted Wal-Mart corporate in regards to the matter, as well as Philips.
And the other web-cam I got, a higher priced (supposedly better quality one) from a different manufacturer works TERRIBLY! There are lines across the image and no matter what I do or what adjustments I make in the picture, I can't get rid of them. I WILL be taking this one back with my receipt for a refund and going to Target to purchase one like I ended up getting for my husband. It was cheaper in price and the clarity of the image is fantastic.
It's not about the amount you spend, it's about bing treated with respect and like a person, rather than a fraud and a crook.
I used to work the customer service desk at a retailer and I know how the return system works. When an item is marked defective, it is sent back to the manufacturer for credit. Wal-Mart would not have lost out at all by doing an even exchange. I would have gotten another camera (hopefully that worked) and they would have sent the defective one back to Philips who would have given them credit for the faulty good. Instead, I now take my business elsewhere. Good thing for Target. My printer is showing signs it may fail soon and I'm going to be needing a new one. Bummer Wal-Mart...
Oh, and don't get me started about the time I had a prescription filled at the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. 1 hour and 45 minutes for ONE pill! Then there was the time they claimed they didn't get the prescription that was called in by the hospital for pain killers after child birth. Turns out no one had checked their voice messaging prescription line for over 28 hours...I complained to the store manager without so much as an apology. Thank God for Eckerds. And Wegmans. And K Mart. Hmmm. Looks like I won't be needing Wal-Mart anymore anyways.
D  26th of Oct, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I think you should use camera for purpose it was given or ask church to announce to donor
that you are not in need of the camera but if they would supply reciept and with their permission you would then give the money to the churchs fund for the Christmas items. You are asking too much and not realy legitimately returning the item.
Now I bought a can opener one that goes around the can itself for my disabled husband, it worked fine, not the kind of thing I would keep a reciept for, around 14.99. But about 2 month and a few days out it jammed, I can't get the lid out of it and can't get it opened even after contacting manufacturer for help, no good. I went to Walmart one morning from work did not have it with me but asked girl at service counter what can I do, She said if they still have the same item they would give me a new one, but no money back. I said great Wrong, when I got there tonight I went and got a new one from the shelf brought it up and this snippy, snotty, floor manager named SUsan (Won't give last name) told me we don't know you bought it here. I said lady ask anyone, they all know me and my husband we come here every other day to shop and we ride Handicap carts, I can assure you it was bought here. No good miss snotty face said we looked up to see if one was sold in the last 90 days, and guess what miss snotty pants didn't know that their records only go back 6 weeks unless you have the exact date of purchase, DAH! Do you remember the day you bought your last can opener. So I am stuck and from what I read on here I may as well not waste my time complaining about it. It also could have been returned to the maker for credit by Walmart. Walmart Just Like polititians, they tell you who they are and what they offer and how great they are but its all lies and they lie about it so often, that even with evidence to the contrary they still believe it.
Walmart of MOUNT DORA, FLORIDA you have a K-MART right across the street and TARGET down the Steet as well as BIG-LOTS, you won't be seeing us anymore, anyway your prices have gone up so much its not really an advantage to shop there, you get one thing cheap and then ripped off by something else, PS alot of your merchandise stinks, I wonder how much of it is really seconds or sub-quality rejects that still pass as sellable. Perhaps some authority should look into it, like the Health department for your produce dept, there and weights and measures at the Deli Counter.
N  11th of Nov, 2008 by
I bought a lcd tv in june and it stopped working in oct., I took it back to walmart with receipt and they said I had to call Sanyo, I have called them for over twenty hours and they refuse to do anything, theykeep saying they will call me back and they never do, I called walmart to complain that there supplier is not honoring there warrantees and they refuse to contact Sanyo or do anything, , , Help, What can I do?
N  23rd of Dec, 2008 by
an associate from electronics and photo isnt called up for the purpose to verify whether or not the item is sold there (the computer can do that) they need to check and make sure your not returning it with missing pieces or whatnot and to verify that the serial numbers match up =)
N  3rd of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I know why Walmart did not give you your refund, there is a huge scam out there right now and Walmart has been there main target, this is how the thiefs do it, they go into a Walmart store they find an item thats say 5.00 dollars then they go find a item say 150.00 dollars then they place the 5.00 dollar ticket on the bar code of the 150.00 dollar item go find the most vulnerable check out girl, and keep her busy, the thief then tries to leave the big 150.00 box in the buggy and trys to have the girl just scan the 5.00 dollar bar code, they pay for the low price and out the door they go, this is why Walmart is not giving any money or giftcards, and I dont blame them, this is a huge scam, I learned about this from my sisters who were doing this, I couldnt believe this, now they have over a million dollars in products in there homes, that have never been opened, sometimes I want to pick up the phone and tell the police, it makes me sick, this has been going on for years with them, in fact when they go into any stores in there area they are watched and have even been barred from coming back in, so what do they do, they get there kids involved, taking back stuff and marking down stuff like they do, and if that isnt bad enough they are selling the stuff on eBay and other websites, I feel so bad for Walmart this scam has hurt the good hard working people in this Country because in the end we have to pay for this kind of behavior, it is almost now like an epidemic, and they have taught other people to do this. I do not blame Walmart if you dont have a receipt then no refunds, this has to stop these stores can not keep taking these terrible loses and stay in business. I wish my sisters would get caught in there scams. I am sad they are like this, Ps my siter Velma husband makes over 300, 000 a year there is no reason for her to do this. IT NEEDS TO STOP

Walmart Stores Logo Walmart Stores