Walgreens - Torrington, CT / no checks for phone cards!

I went to my local Walgreens to purchase my boost mobile phone cards like I always do for my daughter and I at least once a month. {$30.00-$80.00} I usually make other purchases but today I did not. I was told by the sales boy that he didn't think I could use a check for a phone card... I laughed and said I always purchase my phone card with a check :] He was nervous and unsure so I told him to call a manager. He yelled to a manager... Hey! Do we take checks for phone cards?!! NO! NO CHECKS FOR CARDS!!! In disbelief I said since when?!! Received no response, the manager walked off. The sales clerk at least apologized- "sorry" {nice kid.} I said KEEP IT!!

Comments

• Je
      1st of May, 2007

See the website www.stopalldiscrimination.org Post your comments. You do not have to be African American to post. You will find there are many people who attempt to get service or file a complaint against Walgreen's and receive the same treatment. This website is gaining national attention and you need to post!

• As
      4th of Jun, 2007

It's to prevent identity theft. A lot of companies have done this.

• Lo
      25th of Aug, 2007

I agree with Walgreens just like many of the other stores I shop in. They don't take checks for gift cards or phone cards. Gee , its obvious why because those cards are activated when they are purchased. How many bounced checks do you want retailers to take where the buyer gets instant access to what they want. Why not pay with a debit card or cash. I don't blame Walgreens I blame all the cheats who have ruined it for others.

• Em
      1st of Sep, 2007

It's the same as buying a lottery ticket with cash only. Maybe the manager was rude but a policy is a policy. People write bad checks all the time for gift cards and things like that, so they still get the money, and the company gets nothing. Get over it. I would also like to mention that the practices of wal-mart are putting thousands of people into poverty by closing down small businesses so they can get ALL the profit for everything in any given location, so go ahead and shop there and feel good about it.

• Cr
      6th of Oct, 2007

Get out of the 80's and use a debit card, checks went out with the dial phone's. Sick and tired of consumer's always finding something to complain about. Customer's are the main reason there is such a high turn over rate in any retail store. Always want something for nothing, just to pull a fast one over on management.

• Be
      5th of Nov, 2007

I was a Manager at Walgreens for almost 8 years and I would just like to state that policies like this one do protect both the consumer and the company. Unfortunately scam artists and cons have ruined the trust level that companies have towards any customer. It has recently become a huge scam that stolen credit cards and check books have been used to purchase gift/phone cards, especially the Visa and American Express cards. I personally took down a ring of cons that were stealing loved ones credit cards and buying $1000's, yes thousands of dollars, worth of Visa gift cards. I know as a customer you don't want to hear a clerk say they can't because of a policy, I know all you hear is "I won't". But please understand that those policies aren't meant to harass you, they are there to protect you.. Thank you.

• Le
      17th of Jul, 2008

Why is it that when a policy is put in place to protect a company, consumers automatically get upset? They are also the first ones to complain when their stuff gets stolen and a card gets run without having ID checked.

Electronic check processing is one policy. ID verification is another. My company requires us to check ID on any purchase over $100 dollars on a credit card. When we check ID on anything under, we invariably get criticized by the customer for being overly cautions, blah blah blah. Everytime I get badgered for doing it, I just want to tell the customer to either produce ID or not buy. I would rather protect one hundred honest people, than have to deal with the ramifications of not checking the one time some a-hole wants free merchandise on a stolen card/check.

If you have ever had your identity stolen, you get it. If you haven't, you will understand why we check to make sure you are who your credit card says you are if it does get stolen. If you feel you haven't got time to produce ID, then wait til you do have time to shop.

• El
      1st of Apr, 2009

unless im mistaken you actually can purchase a prepaid card with CHECK or EBT or whatever tender. unless its one of those green dot credit cards, where the register prompts you and says "only cash" then you can. now.. if those store has been repeatedly burned by deadbeats you write checks and dont make good on their purchase then store has the right to refused.

27th of May, 2010

EBT is the code for Food Stamps, and will not pay for prepaid cards.

• En
      4th of Apr, 2011

I always thank the clerks for asking me for ID with any purchase that I use my card for. I would rather have to show it to them than have them not care if I am supposed to be using it, I like it when they show that kind of care.