Vodacom / vodacom put my personal information at risk

1 Midrand, South Africa

On the 31st Oct 2016 at around 23:30 I got pick-pocketed in Loop Street, Cape Town while at the ATM a random guy knocked into me but I never took note of my phone as I was busy at the ATM drawing cash. When I put my wallet into my pocket I noticed my phone was gone, shortly after I headed home as I had no cellphone. I got home around 2am 1st Nov 2016 and called Vodacom to block/blacklist my SIM and Cellphone, the adviser I spoke to confirmed that it was done then I went accepting that my phone is long gone. I then went on gumtree and found someone selling a phone identical to mine with the same chips in the screen protect at the same exact points (which I thought was highly unlikely for anyone else to damage it the same way then advertise it online) I then rushed to the police station on 6th Nov 2016 around 7pm to get a police case and at the police station they advised me I need an ITC number which I never received after calling on the 31st Oct. So I called Vodacom while at the police station to get my ITC number. I then spoke to an adviser who told me the phone was never blocked to begin with... I then requested that the phone be blocked/blacklisted again, she then informed me that the reason it wasn't blocked is due to the Vodacom system which doesn't allow blocking/blacklisting during weekend at this point I was fuming, I then had to call on the 7th Nov 2016 around 16:00 to black list the phone. The adviser this time was able to assist me and stated blacklisting can be done anytime. He then blacklisted the phone and advised me that I would get an SMS with the ITC number. Around 18:30 I waited and received no ITC number, I then called again and spoke to another adviser who stated that the blacklisting is in a pending state. I then requested to speak to a manage because I was even more furious at this point. The manager spoke to me and advised me that the ITC would take around 24 hours and then I would receive it. I also escalated the above to the manager who advised me that she would call me back today 8th Nov after 13:00 when she is in the office. It is now past 19:00 and I find myself calling Vodacom yet again as she never got back to me. I have just spoken to an adviser who stated that at the end of the month my number will be changed to prepaid, I asked why as I never ever requested this.

I feel this is really pathetic as all my personal information was on my phone and all my account which the person who stole my phone had a week to go through so far and my phone is still not blacklisted. Vodacom has put my entire life at risk as everything was on my phone including my CV, address, email address, RCS account, Nedbank account, Bidorbuy account, Ebay account, [censored]book account, Twitter account, etc I have no idea what to do and feel that I should take this further, much further.

I feel that Vodacom should compensate me for the inconvenience and the risk they have put me in.

De