Verizon / incorrect billing and credit reporting!

Verizon DSL had billed me for a charge beyond my service cancellation date. I called customer service who agreed to reverse the charges on my Verizon bill. Further to that I did not pay the extra charges that were supposed to be reversed.

Now I had canceled my service in March 2007 but to this date the credit amount has not been applied by Verizon. On repeated calls to customer service, I am only told that the credit amount will be applied in 1-2 billing cycles. Its has now been over 2 billing cycled but the outstanding amount still continues to show against my name.

To top it all Verizon has shamefully added this as a collection item against my credit file. I was shocked when my credit score fell by over a 100 points due to this.

I again called Verizon only to be told that they are in the process of applying the credit amount and will be done in about 1-2 billing cycles. Even though it is established as a fact that I do not have to pay any amount to Verizon, they have refused to remove the collection item from my credit file until the balance on their bill shows zero.

I have even talked to the customer service supervisors who have shown absolutely no interest and initiative in prioritizing this issue and bring it to closure and are extremely content in saying that 'we have taken up the matter and will be completed in 1-2 billing cycles'. I would rather go without a phone and Internet connection than subscribe from Verizon ever.

Comments

1st of Sep, 2007

I have also experienced the same situation with Verizon. I had my number ported to a new provider and canceled the service with Verizon. They continued to bill me and have since affected my credit. I am looking for all people who have had such an experience with Verizon. We may have a class action law suit to pursue.

• Ju
      31st of Jul, 2010

I had a similar problem where they charged me for DSL that was never installed and told me that I would be paying 0.49 for international calls (my fiancee is overseas). They actually charged over 2.50 ending in what should have been a 100 phone bill turning into a 600+ bill in long distance alone.

They nearly flunked me out of college due to lack of internet access over the 3 months of DSL installation techs that never showed up. I ended up having broadband installed instead and switched to a voip phone but this is now on my credit for the next 7 years because they refuse to adjust the billing and reported it as bad debt instead. They wouldnt even turn the line off after repeated requests until they finally did so due to nonpayment. Until then all they did was repeatedly transfer me to new operators.