Uhaul / no refund

My daughter rented a UHaul truck in Washington state for a move. Everything was fine, until she returned the truck. Strong vibrations indicated that the cab was separating from the bed of the truck. She was only several blocks from the drop off location and was able to slowly get the truck to that place. The drop off location was closed for a company picnic so she phoned the national UHaul customer number she had been given. After spending 2 hours (and at least 4 conversations) on the phone, she was first told to wait with the truck for a mechanic. Since this was a Sunday afternoon, they could not tell how long that would take; only that they would call back within 2 hours to give her a time of arrival. Being a 22 year old female, she did not want to wait in downtown Seattle for a mechanic who may not even show up. Then she was told that the truck rental would be free and to leave the truck unlocked in the parking lot with the keys in the cab. Thinking that this was unsafe, she was able to find another UHaul location 2 blocks away. They agreed to move the truck into their locked area for the night. We have spent over 2 weeks dealing the different UHaul representatives trying to get our refund. They can only find one "taped" phone conversation. I was told that the claim number she was given is not a valid UHaul claim number...but somehow they were able to find it after searching their sytem. I was transferred to their insurance reimbursement department and then told that they have no way to reimburse us since the truck was not involved in an accident. I was called by a customer service advocate who was no help at all and then she told me that I would have to wait for another call from the district office. I was called 3 days later and offered a $50 coupon for a future rental (which we will NEVER use). The last call was from this person's supervisor who told me they have gone "out of their way" to fix this problem. Since I paid for the rental I have been talking with these people for over 2 weeks. Now they will only talk to my daughter...since this suddenly has become "confidential" information. And they still have not produced the 4 "recorded" phone conversations from the day of the rental. (Of course, my daughter did ask for the recordings on that Sunday, but was told that their computers had "suddenly" broken down and the rep had to "hand write" everything...how convenient). This is the worst case of customer "non-service" I have ever encountered. We never even considered a refund of the rental...the only reason we have pursued it is because we were told by 2 different reps that we would get a complete refund. If they can give us a $50 coupon, then they can take $50 off of our rental bill.

Va

Comments

• Sh
      20th of Aug, 2008

U-Haul what a joke.Payed 85.00 dollars for a move, plus fifty for gas.Picked the truck up at 8.00a.m and dropped the truck off at 8.00 p.m, 12 hours later..Far as I know a day is 24 hours.U-haul says I was to have the truck back bye 4:30 p.m and since I was late they charged me 517.12 dollars plus the 85.00 .It says 19.95 a day on there trucks, not my problem if U-haul over booked.U-haul say there was a person picking up the truck at 4:30, and since he did not have a truck they billed me.If U-haul said I had to have the truck back in 8.5 hours I would have not taken the truck.There was a couple of trucks already there not used, and did not say to me the truck had to be back at 4:30 p:m.
    I have too take legal action next, sue and phone the BBB.There is alot of peaple fed up and time will put U_haul down.I have used U-haul for years and the new tricks to get money from us, never again.I will put pickets on there front lawn now, see how they like the info.

.I am know going to file a complaint, go to quirt, picked the U-haul company, put signe up and have a picnic.