Trader Joe's / Fraud

Trader Joe's
Trader Joe's Compressed Rawhide dog bones made my dog ill. He puked bile 5 or 6 times and had dry heaves after consuming the bones on a several different occasions. He did not have access to any other bones at the time nor have any other changes in his food.

D  11th of Dec, 2010 by
I buy Trader Joe's compressed rawhide bones for my 4 dogs every single time I'm anywhere near my local TJs. They are top quality and a gigantic value (have you checked the prices for these at Target, PetCo, Petsmart?). And all 4 of my dogs are beside-themselves-excited to get them. BUT, just as with ANY rawhide bone or treat, I never let them eat them out of my sight. My black lab can chew through one in 30 min flat. About halfway through, I take the bone away from him to let it "air dry" at least overnight by placing it on a paper plate out of his reach. That way, the rawhide dries out and is hardened again. This not only protects my dogs from swallowing giant pieces of hard-to-digest rawhide, but also stretches the amount of time my dogs can chew. Once the rawhide has been chewed on for 15 or 20 minutes, moisture travels through the spaces between the layers in the bones, and literally softens the hide. It is then that this becomes an issue for many dogs because the dogs think the rawhide is chewy and soft enough to swallow in large sections. That makes it very difficult for the stomach to break down and begin digestion. So, the natural reflex is to vomit up the enormous piece. Unfortunately, it's a lot more difficult coming back up than it was going down. So, that's likely the reason your dog only vomitted bile.
These bones are not pacifiers, and should be used responsibly. Doing so, I've never had a problem with any of my 4 dogs, and they love them!