TiVo Inc. / Incompetent customer service

1 United States

TIVO and its incompetent Customer Service Representatives. I am writing this to detail how incompetent its Customer Service Representatives can get and have gotten. On February 27 2010 I ordered a HD 20hr (R6521B) refurb or a HD TIVO (that was supposed to have been) refurbished HD DVR. On March 1, 2010, that order was shipped. According to the e-mail, that I was sent by TIVO it would take about 4-6 days to arrive. Okay I was willing to pay for faster shipping but shipping was free and there was no option for a faster shipping method. I purchased a refurbished, as this was all I wanted at the time. I do not own a HD TV yet so why buy a lot more then I could use in the next 6 to 8 months. When I am ready for more, I can upgrade and use the old one in the bedroom.

The unit arrives on March 5, 2010, (sort of that is not important to this problem here). I take it out of the box and read the instructions. I install it according to the supplied instructions. When I turn on the TV and then the TIVO, I get the welcome to warming up screen. Hey great, I had used a Direct TV DVR from TIVO before so I knew it takes a few minutes to warm up. Then the screen goes blank. This is new, so I waited and nothing happened. Therefore, I called support. We start to go through some steps when I accidently disconnected the phone call. I tried to call back right away, was told it was after hours, and would have told call back the next day. Goodbye. Therefore, I called the next day, the technician and I went through some steps to trouble shot the problem. He tells me that the unit is defective. He says he is going to send me another unit. I tell him you (TIVO) have had my money since the February 27, 2010 and I wanted my replacement unit sent by 2-day air. He says I have to get approval but he can do that and it will ship on Monday. Okay no problem, he sends me shipping instructions and a shipping label. It is early on the March 6, 2010 (at about 2 to 3 pm) so I repackage the defective unit and take it to the UPS store for shipment back to TIVO.

Bl