Telkom ADSL / poor service and support

1 South Africa Review updated:

Hi,

I don't know if this will really help, maybe someone can give me some advice.

I am a Telkom ADSL subscriber. Recently (for the last two month about) I have been having serious problems with my internet connection. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but the connection is very unstable. It keeps dropping. Now, for what I use the internet for majority of the time, I need a constant connection. I cannot afford my connection dropping every now and then. Sometimes it holds for hours; other times for 30 seconds. Sometimes it's down for hours; others for 2 minutes. To some people this might not sound so bad, but, like I said, I need constant connectivity, and to be honest, I'm not paying for what I am getting.

I have contacted Telkom's fault reporting center multiple times. The first time they told me that there was something wrong with authenticating my username and password. The second time it was the line itself. The third time it was the box outside on the sidewalk or something, the forth time they didn't even bother to try and tell me what was wrong. Funny how it's something else every time, yet the same problem keep recurring. And even worse, every time some technician calls to make an appointment...I am still waiting for someone to come by my place to check my router/line/whatever.

My questions is: If you telecommunications services provider is a monopoly who is not providing their service properly, what can you do to get the service you are paying for?

Thank you.

Comments

3rd of Mar, 2013

telkom ADSL support is pathetic to say the least!!! I have been having a problem with internet access for about 3 weeks now, I have telkom simple faster with 10gig mixed and 10gig local. I have been phoning 10210 o0n a daily basis about the speed of the internet, I am supposed to get 256kps I am getting 2bits/s. They reported this problem to technical dept, who claimed that they had been here on 2 march 2013. Both my wife and myself were at home all day on saturday 2nd and no technician ever arrived at our door to help sort this problem out but on their system the report is in that the technician was here and sorted the problem out.!!! lying to get out of work????
    This morning we could not even get internet access at all, telkom reset everything and then told me that the problem was that my password was not being accepted and that I had to give them a new password, this after the password was being used for more than a year. After this the internet speed dropped from 45kbs to 2bits, i phoned back and was told to hold for ADSL dept. Here I held on for more than an hour, I managed to speak to Tuli who then told me that the problem was occurring because I had unlimited interneaccess - I told that this was incorrect as I had telkom simple faster with 10GIG + 10gig. She was adamant that I did not know what I was talking about, I then read the contract to her, she told me to hold for Mali her supervisor - well an hour later Mali still had me holding I phoned back 7 times over the next two hours and had one after the other consultant put the phone down in my ear - absolutely no one was willing to help me sort this issue out. Why do telkom claim to have a customer service department when customers are treated like Sh... I still have no internet access at all - cannot even open the google page. but when I switched the internet on I had so-called used 23.77mb without even getting onto the internet???????