Sixt Rent A Car / fraudulent damage claim

Ft Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:

I rented a Mercedes C250 from Sixt Ft Lauderdale, FL on April 13, 2012. I rented cars exclusively and often from Sixt at this location and am at their top Platinum level.I spoke with the manager after picking the car up to explain that the car seemed quite sluggish, especially when accelerating from stand still at traffic lights. Also a light on the dashboard would occasionally flash HOLD. They did not have a comparable or better car to exchange so I kept the car since I wasn’t driving frequently and it just sat in my garage. Returning to Sixt, April 30th 2012, the car stalled at a traffic light and would not start again. It had to be towed into Sixt. I explained that I was very upset since something was wrong with the car when I picked it up, not to mention the fact that my safety was potentially at risk. Over two months later I receive a letter demanding over $11K in damages from a third party claims agency with no prior communication from Sixt.I initially thought this was a scam. Sixt claims that water was in the fuel tank and that I am liable for resulting damages. My attempts to communicate with Sixt went unanswered until I was finally instructed to communicate directly with the claims company. I've discussed this with my attorney and intend to argue this claim in court showing: -Conflicting documented registration numbers and mileage for the car in question comparing my rental receipts to Sixt corporate billing statements and the damage estimate. Also, the car was towed to Sixt on 4/30/12 but was not inspected for damage until 6/4/2012. -Documentation of dozens of similar consumer complaints against Sixt for questionable business practices, fraudulent and/or inflated damage claims, credit billing errors, and an “F” rating by the Better Business Bureau. -Documentation of similar mechanical failure reports online for the make, year and model of the car in question. -Sixt proceeded directly to a third party claims agency without informing me of any damage dispute, in addition to waiting 2 months after the fact. VISA indicated to me that any claim must be disputed within 30 days. Unfortunately the saying "you get what you pay for" is true. And if it's too cheap there is a problem. Stick with more reputable car rental agencies and save yourself a lot of heartaches.

Ri

Comments

• Ri
      Aug 04, 2012

• Fi
      Feb 05, 2013

I rented a car from Sixt Munich, I paid extra for insurance . 2-3 days after, in the morning I have seen that there was a drawn line in the painting on one side. I called immediately "sixt team" to ask what to do. They told me so send photos by email. Since my rental period was insured, and since this defect ocured in the parking area the small repair is supposed to be covered by insurance.
    No! With sixt that is not true at all.
    2-3 months later, they send you invoices without any personal name. You can not see whoever is responsible for this unfair affair!
    I ask why disd I pay for insurance?
    No response, you receive insisting invoiced instead.
    I will never go to sixt again.
    I send mails asking who is responsible for this invoices, but I get no answer at all.

• Co
      Feb 22, 2013

I have used Sixt three times, and two of those they have charged me for "scratches" after the fact, neither of which existed. In both cases, the person checking the car upon returning it to the rental office said there was no damage. Yet Sixt later somehow discovered problems and charged my credit card Euro 300. I have never had this issue with Eurocar, Herz, or any other rental agency, only with Sixt. I strongly recommend people aovid this company.

• Tu
      Dec 22, 2015

wish I had read these before I rented my car in Fort Lauderdale. returned car a week ago and just got an email regarding scratches. certain that the damage was not done while car was in our possession. hope anyone who is thinking about renting from SixT reads this beforehand and goes somewhere else. Isn't there anything that the state attorney can do?

• As
      Jun 20, 2016

Disappointment and absent values towards integrity are things that come along with renting through Sixt. I rented in Orlando and will never rent from Sixt again. Other than the car being absolutely horrible, the customer service and claims against damage that did not originate during my rental period are enough for me to never look towards this company for another rental. I will Uber before I rent from them again. In fact, I would find a horse and carriage to tug me around town before I ever see another Sixt sign or trust this company.

• Di
      Sep 21, 2016

Hello I rent a car from Sixt in Lisbonne and I have been charged 426 euros for an accident I did not have. After discussing since 15 days they propose to give me back half of the money, but I want all my money back! I did not have an accident with the car! This company is having illegal behavieurs with the costumers. I will never rent a car with them anymore!

Apr 11, 2019

@Diego Algarra Hi Diego,
    I have similar experience from SIXT in Portugal. They run a systematic scam to increase revenue. Have rented cars in North/South America, Europe and Asia asnd never experienced such horrible treatment. After several SIXT rentals, I will never rent a car from SIXT again!

• Iv
      Oct 10, 2016

I have the same problem. When I rent the car I checked the outside of the car with their staff to make sure there were no damages. We found some damages/scratches. When I verified my reservation at Sixt mobile app I saw that all the damages had already been reported and were visible in the mobile app with photos.

However, some days later I receive an invoice for $600 for damage that occurred during the rental period according to Sixt. Now I found that this is a common practice for them. After searching the internet, I found that there is a lot of people with the same problem. Clearly this is a scam.

Apparently, they don't repair the cars and when another person rent the car, they want to continue charging for the same damages once and over again to everybody who rent the same car.

I think that is time to start filling a Class Action lawsuit against Sixt. What do you think?

• To
      Oct 11, 2016

I just had the same problem with Sixt rental in Atlanta. I rented a car for one day for a business trip and returned it the next day without incident. The attendant looked at the car when I brought it back and said it was fine and I was good to go. Three weeks later I get an email from Sixt claiming the car had a small dent on the front fender and asked me to fill out an incident report. I emailed back and told them there was no accident or damage to the vehicle and the attendant gave me an all clear when I turned it in. Sixt then sent me a letter in the mail claiming there was damage and asking for an incident report. I called their customer service desk and explained the situation to them. After going back and forth with them for 10 minutes the clerk actually told me I had to prove I didn't cause the damage. I told her that in the United States you have to prove I did something, not prove you are innocent. The clerk also said that they had turned this over to collections already, even though my incident report was supposedly due the next day. I will be disputing this false claim and will make sure as many people as possible know about Sixt's deceptive practices and encourage them to not rent from them

Nov 16, 2016

Exact thing happened to me I Dallas-Fort worth. Rented a truck and had absolutely no incident while in.my possession. Returned it and the attendant checked all sides and said everything looked great so off I went to my flight. Seriously 7 months later I get a bill for windshield damage. Two large rock strikes right where I would have certainly seen them or knew when they happened. They were never present on the truck while in.my possession. The pictures they sent showing the damages weren't even taken where I returned the truck. You can see it was in a totally different place. I asked for the original pictures for the meta data as to when and.possibly where they were taken. They stated that was not available. When you are doing claims, this info is important. I am a claims adjuster. After 7 months!!!. I regrettably paid the 50 something.dollars since it wasnt worth my stressing over and fighting any longer with them. It also wasn't worth them damaging my credit as some have suggested they do. I would only say, STAYFARAWAY!!! For them to lose a valuable customer as myself, who had been singing their praises, over 50 bucks shows how this company operates. Think about it long and hard before deciding to.rent.from them. I have.never.had this problem renting for years from the other guys.

• Pr
      Apr 25, 2017

I am also sufferer of Sixt as like my other friends here. I rented a car with full damage insurance at Sixt Austria. I made some damage during use. While returning car they said not to worry as I was full insuranced. Now they send me invoice of EUR 700 for damage repair. Not sure what to do now ? Fortunely sixt don't have my cc details but now they are asking me to do bank transfer.

Nov 17, 2017

I rented a Renault Megane in Zurich. The receipt at the time of rental mentioned damages to the front bumper with a scratch of 10cm. This may have been due to normal wear and tear in my opinion as there is constant strain on the paint on curved surfaces.
    The claim Sixt has come up with is of CHF1500. I am not inclined to pay this. Especially as this sounds like an excessively high amount. Also usually insurance claims should have 2 comparable quotes from neutral 3rd parties. Ive received only 1.
    This sounds like a case for fraudulant claims against customers. Any chance of taking them to court?

• Sn
      Nov 30, 2017

I am also in the midst of dealing with 2 disputes from Sixt:

1 - $164.25 dollar charge for cleaning - I have rented cars for 10+ years and have NEVER been charged a cleaning fee
    2 - Requested I fill out an accident report for an accident they thought I had in the car - I did not have any accidents in the car. They are claiming I scratched the car over the headlight down to the primer and also scratched the rim 'down to the primer' - the rims were not painted so there would be no primer for them to be scratched down to. The car I rented has almost 360* monitors so there is NO WAY I would have ignored the beeping sensors and hit something with it. I'm unsure of the cost of this so we shall see how much they try to scam me for.

• Fr
      May 29, 2018

I have also had a similar experience with renting in Zurich. I paid for the extra insurance and had a small accident and they deny coverage since it was allegedly negligent to cause damage. Instead of an explanation of how my costly insurance with them is now void, they keep resending me a bill for over 13k and threaten legal action. And prior to that experience, all rentals I have had Sixt I have had to fight to prove that damage existed prior to my rental of the vehicle through photos and 30 minutes of explanation with their staff. Never rent with Sixt.

• Fr
      Jul 09, 2018

In view of my most recent experience with Sixt, I will NEVER rent from them again and will strongly advise my network of friends and colleagues to avoid them, as well. We ended up with a Jaguar rental (not what we had booked) and two days into the rental period, the car started to make a grinding sound. We immediately returned to our hotel and called Sixt to inform them of this development (there was no accident, no "event" of any kind, just a strange grinding sound). They came several hours later, towed the car away, and dropped off a replacement. That seemed like good service. And then the letters started coming, months after we had turned in the car, regarding a claim for damages. We had AMEX premium insurance coverage, so I passed the information along to them. Sixt has been unable to clearly articulate what damage occurred, but it ended up costing a few hundred dollars to repair. AMEX paid them the money and then Sixt said they needed additional money to cover the time the car was out of service. While the repair cost was relatively small, the other charges were thousands of dollars! Ridiculous! AMEX made a partial payment using what they believed was a reasonable approach, and Sixt has failed to provide any of the requested proof or documentation. To this day, a year later, they continue to harass me, threatening collection activity, even though they have not substantiated any of their claims. This is horrible service and highly unprofessional. It is definitely no way to run a car rental business and I would strongly suggest you do not rent with Sixt.

• Ri
      Oct 31, 2018

Sixt actually contacted me yesterday about a chip in the front window of my rental that they blamed on me. This experience is worth sharing. I rented a car in San Diego which had a serious dent in the front fender, obviously not normal wear and tear. The rest of the car had normal wear and tear. I walked back to the office and got an employee to look up the car history...no dent record. They then tell me the computer is not working and they will just note it on my reciept. I insist upon them entering their name, but they would only put a first name and last initial. And scribbled initials. Ok, I was tired of screwing around, after 1/2 hour I left. Upon return the lot attendant does a quick look-over then stands over the obvious fender dent and blames me. Great, I show him the reciept with note and name figuring thats going to resolve it. No, the attendant gets mad and hostile, then proceeds to recheck the whole car over, spening about 10 minutes, blamed me for every chip and tiny scratch. He then takes his smart phone and turns the light on, cups his hand, and begins a 2 minute microscopic inch by inch inspection of the whole front window, left to right, eventually finding a tiny chip. He smiles real big at me, leaves to get a yellow grease pencil to draw a circle around it. Then he spends several minutes to find the chip again. He then pushescon the spot with extreme pressure, trying to see if the chip will crack and grow. He then takes a pic of the license plate. Three months later I get a notice in the mail that I am liable for window damage. Basically, he retaliated against me for his failure to notice the fender dent that some OTHER customer put in the fender. A couple calls to customer service got the damage claim cancelled, butvthey still treated me as if I was being granted some special pardon. Screw Sixt, never again. They obviously have some sort of incentive program in effect to entice employeescto find ways to blame customers for damage they did not cause.

• Wi
      Mar 28, 2019

I am dealing with same issue after renting a car in Los Angeles. They found a scratch on the wheel that I would not have even noticed and are trying to charge me nearly $700. It is utter nonsense. I don't think I could have caused that damage without hitting something hard enough to have damaged the tire or caused the tire to be replaced. I travel frequently and will never rent from them again. Hotwire needs to remove them from their list of rental companies. Will be complaining to them and to Travelocity as well.

• Ke
      Apr 17, 2019

I have just been notified they are filing a claim for damage to a tire. They even sent a photo showing a nail in it. Now I am waiting to see just how much they want to claim to repair a tire. Also they are attempting to say my rental in December that someone is saying I damaged their car. Well if I damaged theirs would their not be damage to mine. I may be done with them. I thought maybe it was a good relationship but everyone can be fooled.