Sears Canada / $100 restocking fee on a $500 item

1 Canada Review updated:

Although I was assured that there would be no problem returning a portable air conditioner purchased as a present for my mother, I was never advised there would be a re-stocking fee, but there was!

Comments

23rd of Oct, 2008

It tells you right on the back of your receipt that there is a restocking fee on items such as seasonal, electronics, lawn and garden items etc. If costumers just started looking at the back of their receipt it would make things a lot easier you know. But of course they never do.

• Sc
      18th of Nov, 2008

Today I returned a TV and was told about a 20% re-stocking fee, which I was not earlier informed of. It seems that the information was to be found on the back of a Sear’s form that was stapled to my receipt. When this was pointed out to me, I in turn pointed to the front of the form that had my name and address collected on it, and a detailed list of information that I, the consumer was to have been informed about at the point of the sale, specifically the re-stocking charge. According to the Sear’s from, I the consumer was to have been informed about the restocking fee, not misinformed by omission. Based on this information, I argued that it was Sears who had made the mistake, and therefore ought to pay me a refund, which they did. Ps…never will I but electronics at Sears again.

• 01
      3rd of Apr, 2010

I ordered custom made blinds form Sears Home Central in Edmonton. I was really undecided but my husband liked them and I was pressured by the Sears representative (Jan) that they were the best thing I could order for my house. I finally gave in and ordered the blinds. I asked the representative what would happen if I changed my mind. She replied that I was signing a contract..., giving me the impression that once I signed on the dotted line, I was obligated to go through with the order. A few days later, I phoned and asked her how Sears' prices compared with The Bay since the blinds were 50% off at The Bay. I was given a big story about The Bay jacking up their prices and that their bottom line, after the discount, would still be higher than Sears. At that time, she reminded me that "the blinds have already been ordered...", again making me feel that it was too late. I finally went to the store and had a look at the blinds in the showroom. I really didn't like them and phoned her to cancel. I was 3 days late in cancelling the order, they held me to my contract, and I was told that I would have to pay restocking prices if the order was cancelled. I talk to her manager (Keith), and he was very rude, re-stating that Sears was holding me to my contract. I decided to get the blinds installed since I was already being charged about $800.00 for re-stocking. I did ask Jan and Keith if I could order something else and if I could get the $800.00 applied toward the new order. This was refused. I know I have some responsibility because I did not to read the fine print which states that orders can be cancelled within 10 days of the order. I am usually quite aware of the fine print in a contract but, given her responses, I strongly believed that I was stuck with the order and had no option. My fault, I guess, but I feed that I was misled and mis-informed. This is covered under the Consumer Protection Act and the Fair Trading Act. I do not know if I have any recourse here, unless I want to get into a long legal battle. I have since paid the invoice because I did not want my clean credit record to be affected.