Sears / kenmore oven

United States Review updated:
Bought a self-cleaning gas range model 665,72002 six years ago. It worked for about a year then the oven wouldn't light or it would display a power failure code (PF) after being on. The tech said it was a "known defect" and replaced the display panel free of charge. Seemed to be okay. Then I was cooking a roast one day-it preheated just fine. About 2 hrs. in I checked it and the oven was stone cold-no PF display this time-it said it was on and at the temp I had set it for. Over the past six years I have had Sears back to fix it several times. Each time they come up with a different diagnosis and replace or adjust something different and proclaim it fixed. Indeed, it will light 20 times in a row-until they leave! I called another local appliance repair company in my area and they said it could only be diagnosed by replacing parts until it was resolved-it's basically just a really poor design. We agreed that would be throwing good money after bad. The problem is intermittent. It can work and then not work for two days and then magically decide to work again. I can't entertain and rarely cook anything that has to be baked. I have endured rude treatment by Sears representatives and no-shows by techs who won't answer the calls and pages by the dispatchers and eat up my vacation leave from work. At one point I reluctantly bought an extended warranty because I knew it was a lemon and would require more repairs-although it felt like extortion. Sure enough, about a month later it did it again. I called and the guy on the phone acknowledged that he could see I had bought the warranty on that date but because it wasn't "showing up" on some field on his computer because it apparently hadn't been inputed correctly or completely yet, I would have to pay for the service call. I had to point out that regardless, the call would be free because their own policy states that if I call back within 90 days from the repair for the same problem, there is no charge. As there is no resolution in sight, I will be shopping for a new stove soon although I can't afford it. I really expected that my stove would last much longer that 18 months!

N  8th of Oct, 2009 by
We have a Kenmore Convectional oven with a ceramic cook top .When we set the temp. then turn it on not long after off it goes and on comes the PF code.WE reset it and it keeps coming on .can i fix this could you help.

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands