Sears / terrible company

Suffice it to say that Sears intentionally and systematically offers home delivery and installation rebates that they do not honor. Isn't this a fraudulent business practice? Many roadblocks are thrown up around the rebate application process that are frustrating and humiliating. This is my 3rd experience jumping through the "on-line and telephone" hoops to try and get a resolution. My daughter is dealing with the same problems re: "free home delivery and installation" of a gas range purchased in Nov. for Thanksgiving. WHERE ARE THE LAWS PROTECTING CONSUMERS FROM THESE "BAIT AND SWITCH" GREEDY & PREDATORY PRACTICES??? Since our politicians are bought and paid for by major corporations, forget contacting them. The media scrambles for advertisings dollars and have decimated consumer fraud reporting... guess we'll all have to come together and boycott these @#$$%$#@ one day... SURE WE WILL!!! A BUNCH OF DOCILE SHEEP BEING FLEECED AND ACCEPTING IT WITHOUT EVEN A "BAAAAA!"

Pe

Comments

• Va
      29th of Aug, 2008

I ordered a shop vac from sears on 7/4/08 via the web site. They charged my credit card right away. The web site still shows the order is in process and will ship in 7-9 days

I contacted sears on 7/30 - they tell me they decided not to sell the item at that price and had internally canceled my order.

They send me no notification and they didn't process a refund to give my money back.

I have called over and over again and emailed asking for the processing of the refund and the best they can tell me is that they are working on it. They are happy to sell me the vacuum at the higher price.

This is bait and switch - they took my money on a sale at one lower price and now refuse to deliver the item at that price, are pressuring me to buy the item at the higher price, while they delay giving me my money back.

It's not a lot of money, but it's my money.

First of all I believe it's illegal for a company to charge the credit card before they ship the item. Clearly it's once they have agreed to sell the item by charging my credit card, they must sell the item at that price and not demand a new price (which I believe is what they are trying to force me to do) and if I refuse to purchase the item at the new price, they must give my original money back.

• Ke
      15th of Apr, 2009

During a recent purchase of a cordless drill I was asked if I would like to save $15.00 on my purchase. I replied that I indeed would and was asked to open a Sears Gold Mastercard account. I agreed to open the account only if there were no annual fees to which the associate replied that there were not. I inspected the application which indicated ANNUAL FEES...none. I signed the credit application and when asked to sign the electronic signature pad I noticed that the $15.oo had not been applied to the purchase. I protested that I had understood that I would save $15.00 on the transaction. She began to explain the conditions of the $15.00 "credit" to my account at the time of activation of the Mastercard. I indicated that this was not what I had understood and that I wished to cancel the transaction and would not sign the signature pad. She informed me that the transaction had been electronically sent when I had put my social security number in to the PIN pad and that the signature was only a formality. I told her that she had performed a classic bait and switch on me and asked to cancel the entire transaction. She replied that she could not and called the floor manager. After discussing the matter with him and getting essentially nowhere, I retreated with my new cordless drill bruised but not broken. I inspected the application upon arriving home and luckily found that there was no annual fee however that the disclosuers were accurate to 07/01/08. A quick call to the credit department verified there was no fee. I think this is an intentional DUPE by Sears sales associates and that they are aware of the fact when they offer the savings. I will be okay in this as I will be able to pay the unpaid balance with no additional fees however, there remains the anger of allowing myself to fall prey to this scheme.

• Ow
      11th of May, 2009

We discovered our food in the freezer thawed on April 4/09; called an electrician on Apr 6 who told us the compressor was gone ; on April 8th before taking the freezer to the dump called Sears who advised that only the seal around the top of the freezer would be covered under warranty. We found the freezer book to find that our warranty covers the problem; called Sears and were advised a Technician would be in on April 14th. Technician was in and charged $80.00 for a service call; not here 20mins and also advised food lost would not be replaced!! We lost 60 kg of food totaling $412.00. We were advised that the compressor would be replaced at Sears expense and we bought the freezer May 25, 2004; we were advised that the cost of the compressor plus labor would far exceed the cost of replacing the freezer. The freezer we had before was 25 + yrs old and this one isn't 5yrs old; what gives? I have been a Sears customer since the 1970's and EVERY appliance, lawnmower, snowblower, TV's, VCR's mattresses, hose has been purchased from Sears. We are looking for compensation for food lost as Sears appliance covered under warranty is your responsibility (perhaps not the total amt but at least 50%). I have read complaints from other Sears customers who are likely no longer Sears Customers and very upset they were not treated fairly; I certainly hope this won't be the case with our complaint. We don't carry maintenance agreements as the yearly cost would cover at least 2 or 3 new appliances if they broke down!!

• Be
      27th of Jun, 2009

I purchased a plasma TV last year. Like a lot of people they convinced me to purchase an extended maintenance agreement to the tune of $500.00. I called to schedule the annual service as recommended. The representative was okay but when he went to schedule the visit the times are limited to Tuesday and Fridays only. Then the time frame is from 8:00am to 5:00pm. (all day) with no guarantees. So in short I paid $500.00 for a maintenance contract that is going to cost me an addition $200.00 in lost wages to be able to use.

• Ji
      21st of Mar, 2010

I currently work for Sears in "Major Appliances". Although there are many legitimate complaints registered by many unhappy consumers, this is not one of them. Under no circumstances can Sears install a gas range - this is left to the local gas company or gas supplier due to Code restrictions etc. Electric ranges are a different story, and Sears does in fact install them everyday. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding as to what exactly was going to be installed?? "Free" (via mail-in rebate) delivery and installation is offered almost every week, however, gas ranges are not included in the "installation" guidelines and cannot be included due to the afforementioned Code restrictions.