Sears / rebates denial

United States Review updated:
I bought a stainless steel Kenmore dishwasher in February. I was told by the sales person that I'll get a $60 rebate from Sears for the delivery. She printed out two receipts for me: the official receipt and the receipt to be used in the rebate submission. I was told that I only needed to submit the rebate receipt and to hold on to the official receipt. Fine.

After sending in the rebate application, I received a letter in April saying that my submission was denied. It was a form letter, and it was not specified what the reason for the denial was. I called Sears, and the guy I spoke with said that there shouldn't be any problems with my rebate and that I should expect a check in 15 days. A month passes, and I called again. This time, a woman claims that I never submitted a receipt to them! I talked to the local sales office in town, and they promised to try to do something about this and will call me back. Of course I haven't heard from them since.

This happened to the rebate we were supposed to get for a freezer we bought a few years ago, too. I never kept track of that one, so it's partly my fault. But this second case shows a pattern.

So that's it. I'm never buying anything from Sears again. We are planning on buying a new range and refrigerator, but I'll be going somewhere else. I'm also cancelling my Sears credit card and my membership to the Craftsman Club. If anyone asks me, I'm going to tell them to forget buying anything from Sears.

A  27th of Mar, 2009 by
Same problem here. I ordered online 11/16/08 and was supposed to get my 65.00 delivery rebate. I never got it. Here's how it went down

1) went to store too early for the 20% + additional 10% off sale with free delivery (rebate). I had to wait a few hours for sale to begin so thought I'd order "online". I did so but only after NUMEROUS problems online with ordering (they were late putting up the sale over an hour late and then the thing either timed out to being too busy or it'd go blank and I'd have to re-input over and over. Finally. hours later, I get my appliances ordered. I then go online and apply for the shipping rebate.

2) A month passes and no rebate and then another. We contact the rebate center and are told we put in the numbers wrong and resubmit. We do.

3) another month passes and still no rebate. Online says we are not qualified. We contact again and are told the same thing to re-input. We do.

4) another few weeks pass and same thing so we talk on the phone to someone who we fax info to and she inputs info for us so NO errors.

5) another few weeks and nothing. I email Sears Rebate Center again AND the regular customer Service. I get no response 3/26 from Rebate Center, but the Customer service center calls me on phone. Said they can't cut a check but they can give me a gift card instead for 55.00.
a. I have to settle for less
b. I have to spend it only at Sears or KMart
c. I am no longer qualified for the rebate.

In order to alleviate my aggravation and against my better judgement, I agree.

6) This morning I get an email telling me I was never qualified for the rebate.

At this time I am FUMING. I am contacting the CEO. I spent THOUSANDS at Sears too! This purchase alone was well over 4200.00. At this point, the time invested in this was not worth the 65.00. I spent more in time. But I am spending more time STILL writing to you all... DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM SEARS if you are banking on part of your savings to be the Rebate!!! ps The delivery took longer too and one of the items I bought ended up scratched after a couple months of use (Stove) while the previoius glass top stove I had went 12 years with no scratches. So obviously, their products are declining in craftsmanship as well.

N  1st of Apr, 2009 by
On 3/18/2008 I went to the Sears store at Concord Mall in Delaware only to purchase a Microwave to replace one that died. The sales person alerted me to a 20% rebate if we bought 3 items, because I was going to eventually replace a Refrigerator and Dishwasher too as we are re-doing our kitchen. So we bought all three items. I waited to input the rebate for three days recommended by the sales rep. We waited for the rebate, on February 13th we received a check for one of the items and not all three, and even that check was not correct in the amount, it was not 20% of the item(s). I called Sears rebate office and talked to a Rep, he stated that he didn't know why the others were not processed and that he would fix it, I waited while he supposedly re-input the informati0n and submitted it, approximately 15 minutes in all. Now it's April 1st, still no checks received, so I go back on-line to searsrebates.com and find that the items are "unqualified" and they will not be sending the money. I sent them an email in the contact section and I have a call in to the Manager of the store I purchased the items, but I suspect that I will not be satisfied with his call this afternoon, if he even call and I'd bet the response from the rebate section (within 48 hrs) will be even less satisfying. Sears and their rebate program is obviously a con and I will never buy from them again. This warning is just my first steps in getting satisfaction from them, next up the BBB then on to the Prosecutors office to file another complaint, then to a lawyer, 600.00 bucks is 600.00 bucks!
A  30th of Jun, 2009 by
I am a patient person, who always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, until I tried to get a a rebate from Sears. I would have rather they would knock of $50 of the price of the merchandise, than wait for a $200 check that they told me was sent out several times. I feel embarrassed for them. I wish someone had the gull just to tell me the truth. I know this will come back to bite them in the butt later. I know I am amongst several that have been lied to. What a shame. 7 months and several calls, still no check. Mary
A  28th of Sep, 2009 by
Sears had a big Labor Day sale and I needed a washer and dryer. In addition to the sales price, I was told there was a $75.00 rebate for the delivery. I was told all I had to do was go online and complete the form. Little did I know I had to have a program number. I called the Sears store and was told I could pick up the form. The form had the program number, so I completed it online. A few days later I received an email stating my rebate had been declined because I didn't pay full price for the items. There was nothing on the form that stated full price had to be paid. The only stipulation was that the price had to be $399 or more which I met. I called the rebate center and talked to them, but they were adamant that I didn't meet the requirements because I didn't pay full price for the product. I have filed a complaint against Sears.
A  15th of Mar, 2011 by
same situation here as sibby62 ... pretty sure the company that handles the rebate is stealing the money for themselves ... also, the customer/rebate center for Sears are just awful ... just kept transferring my call between those two centers ... 5 times i spoke with either rebate or customer service reps and they repeated the same questions over and over again like robots and wouldn't hear anything else or do anything ... might as well just get rid of both centers and just have customers read an FAQ because those reps are completely useless and unhelpful ... and the rebates are a complete scam, that's why they have switched to instant rebates ... but I would never buy from Sears again ...

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands