Sears Auto Center / service not done according to what I paid for

1 WILLOW PASS ROADConcord, CA, United States Review updated:

I had an oil change done at Sears automotive n 12/27/08 and part of the oil change service is to have the oil replaced, filter replaced and a 24 point inspection where the customer is notified if there is some sludge build up. Well, I did have some sludge build up and apparently that is the reason why my vehicle broke down n 1/18/09 after 14oo miles because sears and their insurance (which by the way will never call you back no matter how many times you try to get a hold of them) say my oild was burning. I have my car a 2004 Toyota Matrix at a nearby Toyota dealership and the mechanics there tell me that I should have been notified about the sludge that who ever changed my oil should have notified me per the service that they are supposed to provide. I have tried calling several managers and have asked to speak to someone in corporate yet Im given the runaround and do not get any call backs. I just sent an email to KGO channel 7 on your side and am waiting to get a response to them because I will go public with this. I need to have Sears reimburse me for some of the damages because they did not provide the service that I paid for. It is very apparent that my vehicle was not given a 24 point inspection. I need to speak to someone in coporate and am tired of getting the runaround. - Hugo Barrientos

Comments

Ex
  9th of Feb, 2009

I was in the Automotive Service Management field for over 14 years and chose to no longer be in the business due to customers like you. Sears should not be responsible in anyway for your vehicle. 1400 miles AFTER they change the oil, your car breaks down? Give me a break. Very rarley can it be determined that you have "oil sludge" when the tech removes your drain plug and oil filter when performing an oil change. It would take the removal of several components of your engine to determine this. Generally speaking, oil sludge is caused by a couple of things, the most common is neglect, i.e; infrequent oil changes. It sounds to me as if you are the one who is scamming Sears.

Ng
  13th of Jun, 2009

I agree with the other person posting a comment. There is no way to tell if there is an extensive amount of sludge build up by just removing the drain plug and oil filter. They can check and see if your coolant is holding it's properties, and make sure your transmission fluid isn't contaminated, but you cannot expect them to take apart your engine to determine that there is sludge buildup. And even if there is sludge build up it is most likely your fault for not maintaining your vehicle properly.

St
  29th of Dec, 2011

how ironic... you have your oil changed and 1400 miles later your car breaks down. And you think that its their fault becuase they didn't take your engine apart to look for sludge?? Wow... you want your oil change done in 10 minutes but you also want your engine taken apart so they can tell you if there is sludge impossible. An oil change includes removing the drain plug, so that the oil may drain, removing the filter, replacing the drain plug, installing a new filter, installing new motor oil, check all fluids, and topping off windshield washer fluid. The only way to find this mysterious sludge you speak of is to remove the valve cover...which Im sure you didn't pay for. Get over it. You have an old worn out car. Just go buy a new one.