Salvation Army Store #07, Ankeny, IA / horrible customer service

Jun 21, 2015
Salvation Army
801 S Ankeny Blvd
Phone: 5159653184
Visited store on June 18, 2015. Asked a clerk for the price of an item I wanted to buy. The clerk said she would have to find out from the manager as she did not know. The manager was in the back storage part of the store. The clerk asked her for help, and the manager screamed out "Well, he'll just have to wait!" So I waited. I asked to speak with the manager, who's name turns out to be "Bridgette." I asked about the price she was setting for the used magazines that I wanted to buy. "Why do you want $1.00 for magazines when almost all books are less than $1.00, and today is half price on books. Is there anything you can do about the price." Her answer, literally, was "No." So I nevertheless bought all the magazines -- 36 of them -- and asked her if she could get me a box or something to carry them to the front of the store. Here again she was rude and completely uninterested and unhelpful -- even though I was spending $40.00. She said she didn't think there was anything (didn't even bother looking). The magazines were large and heavy. Finally, another young clerk gave me a tub for the magazines.

This is a completely unprofessionally run place, with a very uncomfortable atmosphere. There are people there who seem to just be friends of the employees, just hanging out. They don't actually seem to be employees. They wear no identifying clothing or tags. Bridgette gave no indication of actually being a manager. The store has a very unwelcoming atmosphere, the "employees" seem to treat customers as intrusions, interruptions.

I go to Salvation Army stores everywhere. This is maybe the worst store I've ever been in. Extremely unpleasant atmosphere. The treatment by Bridgette made the entire experience very uncomfortable and even sad, and gave me a very unpleasant impression of the store.

I won't be going back.