Safeway Canada #0263 - Beacon Heights, Calgary / selling expired juices for 50% off!

Canada Safeway
1818 Centre Street North
Ok, so a month ago I was shopping at my local Beacon Heights Safeway when I saw that Safeway Cranberry Lemonade drinks in tetra packs (5x200mL) were on sale! The sign says ' REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE - 50% OFF/$1.00) so I was like "what the heck, it won't hurt to stock up". I made sure I check the expiry date on ONE of the packages and it says 2009 OCT xx so I bought 5 packs. Just today, as I was drinking the juice box, I thought it tasted a little 'bland'. I thought it couldn't be the juice because I already checked the expiry date and must be the new toothpaste I'm using. Just when I was about to finish it, I decided to look at the expiry date which says '2008 OC 25'! By the way, today is 2009 AL 24! This juice expired 6 months ago and they are STILL selling it 5 months it expired! I was outraged! This was not the first time Safeway has been selling expired products - a year ago, I purchased some Safeway Cheese Puffs from them and it was 5 days over the expiry date and STALE! Extremely disappointed - you pay for outrageously overpriced products there and the quality is worse than large supermarkets such as Lobalws!

From now on, I will remind myself to check the expiry date on EVERY ITEM I buy anywhere.

A  6th of Feb, 2013 by
Yes, they do this all the time. It stems from product not "rotated" properly. For this, they would require to PAY employees (or spend the money on the employee-time) to sift through the shelves for expired product. I used to work at Safeway and i know that they are trying so hard to understaff their stores (hence why you only have 1 or 2 cashiers and they have to keep calling the costumer service/grocery clerks to cash) that they just do not have time to sift through all the products for expiry date.

This is why you will never find anyone with good pre-disposition or experience workign there. They starve the poeple that work there by giving them 2 - 4hr shifts a week and the people they hire are then inexperienced kids that dont really care.

Safeway Logo Safeway