Ross Dress for Less / return policy not followed

United States, California, Novato Review updated:
Ross Dress for Less
Vintage Oaks Shopping VCenter
I am so mad at the experience I just had in the California Novato store that I can barely type. I bought a pair of casual women's shoes at a Ross store this week in Rohnert Park, near my work. Two days later, I went to put them on an realized one was a 6.5 and one was an 8.5. Today, I went to the Ross store in Novato at Vintage Oaks to return them. They have never been worn and I had the original receipt. The clerk told me I would have to return them to the store in Rohnert Park (which is more than 20 miles away). I asked her why - the shoes were unworn, I had the original receipt and it was less than 30 days since my purchase. I read her the policy on the back of my receipt. She said the store would face a loss if they took back the shoes. I argued that that was not my problem. I was following the legal document on the back of my receipt. It said I could return the shoes unworn, within 30 days, with the receipt without a problem. I asked to speak to the manager, Claudia. She simply said the store would face a loss on the return and therefore would not take them back. I would have to drive 20 miles to the original Ross. I asked how that was my problem or fault and she shrugged and looked at me blankly. I had planned on shopping at the store that day but they lost my business. Moreso, I will never shop at a Ross again. The fact that they lie on their return policy is unexcusable. The fact that the original store sold me the mismatched shoes is unacceptable and the hostility and stupidity I faced at the return counter is also unacceptable. This is over a $12.99 pair of shoes. Do me a favor and do not shop at the Ross store at Vintage Oaks in Novato, California.

D  15th of Sep, 2009 by
You are ### about the store yet you didn't even notice you had two different size shoes? Thats pathetic.
N  15th of Sep, 2009 by
If this is what they ar telling you its because its what they are being told to say. Call the corporate office and complain. Stop blaimng the small insignificant employees of a multi million dollar company.
A  22nd of Dec, 2009 by
It's the employees' job to make sure the shoes are matching. The registers used to have the pop up alerts whenever they scan a pair of shoes. Nothing could be scan until the cashiers click on the alerts. If the shoes are mis-matched, then it's Ross' fault. Their employees failed to do their job whether it was the stockroom's or the service desk's fault.
A  23rd of Jan, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I 100% AGREE! I will NEVER Shop at Ross again, for the EXACT reason. I had a return, with my receipt. I did not, however, have my debit card, which is how I paid for the item. They REFUSED to take the items back because I didn't have the card I paid with---even though the reciept had all the information they needed.
I live 25 miles from the closest Ross.

I complained to the manager, and she said, PLEASE call our district manager and tell her. WE have NO power here. WE have to work over time, and we can't even afford to shop here. SHe went on and on about how poorly the employees are treated, and about how powerless they are to give any kind of customer service.

On their ads, they show all these happy shoppers--I NEVER see that in their stores. It's almost like going to K-mart lately, in fact.
The clothes have gone WAY down hill.

I'm going to H & M from now on, or even Marshalls.
N  11th of Aug, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Novato Ross hires the dumbest of the dumb and the slowest of the slow. The only way I can get through the line is to promise myself a treat at See's Candy next door. If Ross treats their employees so poorly, then maybe those employees should better themselves so they can go work for Target!!! Same goes for Rite-aid. In the end, I guess you get what you pay for. Waiting in Ross lines and watching their checkers move at a snails pace while managers look on and don't pitch in, makes me want to drop my would-be purchases and run screaming out of the doors!
N  28th of Mar, 2016 by
I went way overboard shopping at Ross in Roosevelt Blvd 19149, Philadelphia. When I was packing my suitcases I realized this and return some of the goods about a week later. The items all had their tags and I had my receipt. the guard helped me courteously when I asked him the procedure for returns and the cashier was very nice and accommodating. I got back some cash and I had to swipe my debit card as I had made more than one purchases, some with the card and others with cash. I love Ross and will be going back there when I visit America again. Great job Ross.

Ross Dress for Less Logo Ross Dress for Less