Roomster.net / hidden subscription

1 NY, United States Review updated:

I signed up for a 3 day subscription because you can't read any email responses unless you have some kind of subscription. It didn't do any good, because the persons who had emailed me about my apartment never responded, which makes me think they were not real (set up by the company?). When I reviewed my checking account online a month after my 3 day subscription, I found a charge for 29.99 from roomster for a month of service. Always read the fine print.

I feel that this company targets students/young adults who may not be as apt to read everything before signing. I don't think this type of business practice is ethical and it should be regulated.

Ja

Comments

• Ka
      31st of Jul, 2008

This company is the biggest ripoff. I sent over 75 emails to prospective renters regarding my rooms for rent. I got back maybe 2. I don't beleive these prospective renters are real. I think they are made up by this fraudulent company. I signed up for a two week trial for $14.95, and now they are trying to charge me a monthly fee of $29.95. I am disputing this with my bank which I beleive will be successful. How do we contact Better Business Bureau about this company?This is awful, the way they take advandage of people.

Concerned consumer.

• Nd
      6th of Mar, 2010

The problem is that it will not stop there; they will continue withdrawing money from your credit card unless you declare your card lost or stolen as I did. Roomster says that in order to stop the payment you need to cancel the subscription from your roomster account but there is no tab on your personal account to do so. There is a section where you can disable your account but they will still take money from your account every month. So I suggest you to cancel your credit card so they will issue a new card number for you and roomster will not have authorization to withdraw money from your account anymore. I know it is a nuisance to do so but it is the only way to stop them. I really wish someone will take legal action against them soon or later. In the mean time one way to revenge is to open a new FREE account with roomster and to use their GIVE A SHOUT to the other member warning everyone about the danger of giving roomster their credit card number. I have done so and I have warned about 10.000 around the world about this scam, but finally romster banned me from accessing their web site. So I decided to find a way around it and I downloaded a software to hide my IP address (you can do the same by following this link http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/download.htm ). Now I can access roomster.com again to continue my warning campaign. I hope that many people will follow my suit so roomster will have no choice but to actually go and get a real job to make a living as many of us do instead of stealing from honest people