Having problems with Roomster?

Roomster reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 7, 2007. The latest review Subscription was posted on Jul 30, 2021. The latest complaint unauthorized charges was resolved on Mar 04, 2020. Roomster has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 124 reviews. Roomster has resolved 21 complaints.

Roomster Customer Service Contacts

285 W Broadway Rm 320
New York, New York
United Kingdom
1st Floor, 2 Woodberry Grove, North Finchley, London N12 0DR, England, UK

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Roomster Customer Service. Initial Roomster complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Roomster above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Roomster. Discuss the issues you have had with Roomster and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Roomster Complaints & Reviews, Page 6

Roomster.comrip off, scam, unethical!

This site is an absolute rip-off.. Stay away i've never encountered such unethical business in my life. Paid $6 for a one week subscription and authorized for no more charges be posted on my account, they've charged me $29.99 two different times and they have no phone number to contact, and won't respond to any of my emails. This is a rip off, find a way to make an honest living not ripping off college students who don't have $60 to throw out the window. Stay away from roomster!

rip off, scam, unethical!

annoyed again Jun 06, 2011

Roomster.com is a total rip-off. A one week subscription should be just that. You shouldn't have to hunt and search the "fine print" to find out they will auto-renew. It's intentionally misleading. Legit businesses don't hide how they conduct their business. Their customer service is non-existent and the fact they make it almost impossible to contact them if you have a problem further shows they're scammers.

Roomster — unauthorized withdrawal of funds

I thought I signed up for a 3-day subscription for $5.99 to help me find a roommate. I did not find a...

Roomster.com — scam!!! beware

I noticed that the complaints on this site re: roomster.com are old. But everything that is said about it i...

Roomster.comunethical business, very bad website, not user-friendly, and tricky charge automatically without consent

I am not satisfied with their Website service - roomster.com. My 1st time of email sent to them thr their Website never got response, their website not user-friendly, and I cannot get help in a reasonable time. Yesterday, 2/23/2011, is the last day for the 2-week subscription I tried to cancel the subscription, but they already charged me a fee, $29.95 for a whole month. Next day, 2/24/2011, I request a refund for the unauthorized charge, but they would not return my money. I left my account open and did not cancel on 2/23, because I don't know if I am still able to sign in their site and contact them for the refund. The Roomster.com is a very tricky Website and very unethical.

karthy Jul 04, 2011

please tell sugision for block the website because the iritating for my system and fraud website. pls tell any suges.

karthy Jul 04, 2011

all of you away from the http://www.nyd.zoomshare.com/ website

karthy Jul 04, 2011

hijack my browser home page with lord rahul cool virus and affect my system activites for http://www.nyd.zoomshare.com/ is very bad website and this is fraud website for adversing benifit so we kind stop fraud movement.

Roomster.com — dishonest sales practices

I signed up for Roomster.com after finding it on a search engine advertised as a free service site. I wa...

Roomster.comrip off

Simply put: DO NOT USE ROOMSTER.COM
      They will charge your credit card, WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORIZATION after the trial period ends. You will get NO warning at all, of when that is, and they will renew your subscription for a full 30 days, for the outrageous amount of $29, 99 .
      I had it happen to me, don't let it happen to you. They are a rip-off, and a scam. Together, we can make it stop, if we complain enough, noone will use their site anymore, and they will be forced to shut it down. I read horrible stories, of people having to CANCEL their credit card, because roomster.com would keep charging them without authorization! Let's put an end to it!!

Roomstersneaky!! unauthorized charges

DO NOT USE ROOMSTER!!! I signed up for a 2 week service to look for a roommate. Which by the way did not work because this service web site is really BAD. When I signed up I did not notice that somewhere under the terms of agreement there is an AUTOMATIC RENEWAL!!! So I was charged 29.95 for something that I did not use and a SERVICE THAT REALLY SUCKS!!!

Roomster Corphidden charge unwanted subscription continuance

THEY DID IT TO ME TOO "Roomster.net aka Roomster Corp. - New York. This internet based company sells a roommate service. They offered me a 4 day pass for 5.95. However, they neglect to inform you that you are really signing up for a monthly service and they begin charging 29.95 immediately without notice. "

Wish I'd seen this complaint board POST before

• So
              Sona GC Aug 18, 2015

This happened to me as well, they are a fraud and take money from the people. I was signed up for 3 days and now I am getting the bills of monthly subscription. Roomster.com must be sued. Its destroying peoples peace of mind, bank information and bills. Its making me sick.
              They will bankrupt innocent people for sure.

• Mr
              MrCrabby Jul 08, 2012

Company owners. Spam them.

• Pb
              PBHun Sep 30, 2010

I agree! I initially signed up for the 3-day membership in because visiting the city I was planning on moving to. I was only in that city for 2 days so I was happy to see that they offered a low cost ($4-$6) 3-day "trial" membership which was all needed to check e-mails (that I couldn't access with the free account status) from potential roommates and make arrangements to meet up with a few see some places while I was visiting. That was July and it is now September and I keep getting billed!
              First of all, if you don't cancel by the allotted time (end of 3rd day...maybe) they conveniently enroll you in the 30-day membership @ $29.98!
              Second once you have been billed, there is NO REFUND! You are billed for and stuck with full 30-day membership, which does not include what you already paid. Ok, I can see that (kind of), I guess you have to be on top of it to not get billed.
              HOWEVER there is the third and most important issue: YOU CAN'T CANCEL!!! The website lays out cancellation instructions but really, this is all in theory because month after month, I am still signed up. I have canceled multiple times just be sure and it appears that I get some kind of confirmation of the fact, yet I am still being billed 3 months later! I have moved, I no longer need a roommate and I no longer need the service so why am I still being billed?! I removed my profile info, made myself unsearchable and canceled but the billing (and sometimes the emails) continue. I've tried to call the number on my bank statement, no answer...actually a busy signal and I tried e-mailing, no response. As inconvenient as it is, I had to file a fraud dispute with my bank which means I have to go through the hassle of getting a new card, hoping that any credits and returns using that card number have been made before doing so and waiting for said card to arrive in 5-7 business days, which will then require me to need to update all my automatic bill pays and such. Ugh, if only I could just cancel!!! Unfortunately I can't so if you experience these problems (with anyone) the only thing you can do is get a new card issued. Thanks Roomster you helped a lot and made my moving experience all the more memorable.

Roomster.com — billing

Unethical business practice experienced today by this company. It is not possible to speak with someone on...

Roomster.com — unauthorized charges

Roomster submits unauthorized charges to customer accounts. When I received (1) mail message, I authorized a...

Roomster.com — best roommate service

I just found a roommate on Roomster.com and am so happy. I think that it's the best roommate service I...

Roomster.com — great service!

Just to be clear with everyone reading this. Roomster.com is an honest & reputable company. We do not make...

Roomster.netcrooks!

My daugher, also signed up for a limited membership, but my credit card was charged TWO $29.95 fees the following month! The phone number is bogus, noone to contact, the bottom line is DON"T USE THIS SERVCE< THEY ARE CROOKS!

Roomster.netunauthorized charges!!

I can't believe this!! I paid $3.00 or $4.00 for a few days after a $29.00 1 month access. I went into my account and unsubscribed over a month ago. I am now being hit for some bogas ### recurring monthly charge of the $29.00. Oh and on top of that? In the whole time I have been watching this - I've had 3 maybe 4 people who were actually possible candidates. Now, out of those I have only spoken to one.

Today, I work a $9.00 an hr. job in this messed up economy. I have child support who is going to start deducting $305.00 out of my check. The banks hit me with an overdraft of $34.00 for roomster. I am already short on this last months rent due to sick days. So I need this roomster crap like I need a hole in my head!!

I'm sure writing this is just spinning my wheels too. Not like anything is going to get done about it. Pretty great that we have such technology, that a company can take money from clear across the United States for a service that I need right here. Then keep hitting a zero balance account and jack me up for a bunch of debt. Now I get to complain using the very technology that they are using against me. I almost think that computers are a f'n waste of time and humanity sometimes!!! So anti-personal.

• Gu
                  gurln3xtdoor Sep 15, 2010

Payed for a 3 day subscription to check out the service and come to find out that I was charged for a full week. I googled Roomster and nothing but scam reports came up. Come to find out the thieves hide the "automatic renewal" in their terms of service which is quite unethical. I plan on reporting them to the BBB and the department that handles online business for fruad. All online business should be mandated to add automatic renewals separately from terms and conditions. I will complain to my bank as well and get a charge back!

Ndonio Mar 06, 2010

The problem is that it will not stop there; they will continue withdrawing money from your credit card unless you declare your card lost or stolen as I did. Roomster says that in order to stop the payment you need to cancel the subscription from your roomster account but there is no tab on your personal account to do so. There is a section where you can disable your account but they will still take money from your account every month. So I suggest you to cancel your credit card so they will issue a new card number for you and roomster will not have authorization to withdraw money from your account anymore. I know it is a nuisance to do so but it is the only way to stop them. I really wish someone will take legal action against them soon or later. In the mean time one way to revenge is to open a new FREE account with roomster and to use their GIVE A SHOUT to the other member warning everyone about the danger of giving roomster their credit card number. I have done so and I have warned about 10.000 around the world about this scam, but finally romster banned me from accessing their web site. So I decided to find a way around it and I downloaded a software to hide my IP address (you can do the same by following this link http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/download.htm ). Now I can access roomster.com again to continue my warning campaign. I hope that many people will follow my suit so roomster will have no choice but to actually go and get a real job to make a living as many of us do instead of stealing from honest people.

• Gi
                  gigglegabo Oct 23, 2009

Im having the same problem and I want my money back now and there is no way to get ahold of anyone to recieve it back.. So I don't want to have to sue anyone just give me my money.. BAck !! Never using this site again..

• Aa
                  Aaron Wakefield Jul 09, 2009

Poor reflection of customer service. No real concern for the person trying to get them off the email list. Tried several times. Followed all the steps. "Still" getting harassing emails.

• Da
                  Dave Brooks Jul 01, 2009

Same ### happened to me too. I signed up for a 3 day subscription and then they use fine print to "auto-renew" you. Who buys a 3 day trial subscription and then wants to renew? NO ONE. The best part is that they don't even send you an email telling you that they are charging you. Because who would go back to a site they think is useless after 3 days to check their personal "billing" inbox? Complete ###. DO NOT USE ROOMSTER!

Roomster.netunknown charges

This is the e-mail I sent them...

I signed up for a three day trial of your site for $5.95. Your site charged me $29.95, and you clearly had a strategy for billing automatically though I only signed up for a three day trial. You don't have a phone number for me to call to get in touch with anyone to discuss this, and its clear that you have already set up your site to answer for your "unscrupulous" but "authorized" charge in the list of "legal-ese" in your terms and conditions. I am disgusted by this experience. Not only has the site been fruitless to me, I should have known better than to sign up for your service when it was advertised to be free until I got the ONE e-mail in my "inbox" that you wouldn't let me read. I AM GOING TO REPORT YOU TO THE U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, the BETTER BUSINESS BURREAU, THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION, the U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE and any other group that I can to ensure that you are found out and your practices are published. "You" (the person or persons that "run" your self-run site have poor morals and must not have any conscience. I hope that $30 was worth it. I'm going to make it my mission to relentlessly publicize your dishonesty. You disgust me.

Roomster .netinternet scam!

I was looking for a room mate and decided to try this service.I signed up for a 3-day subscription because you can't read any e-mail response unless you subscript at least 3-days which is a trial offer.I started getting responses right away. I answered all the e-mails, sent out group e-mails, called several times.It didn't do any good because no one called me back. This is a scam of the worst kind .I think some consumer fraud organization should close this
                  sight down and force them to return our money.They are cheating the people.

Roomster.net — hidden subscription

I signed up for a 3 day subscription because you can't read any email responses unless you have some...

Roomsteraccount withdrawl fraud

I am being scammed for the same $29.95/ month as well as many other folks by Roomster.net. I only agreed to the 2 week subscribtion. However iI am still being debited after cancelling my subscription. Has anyone reported to the BBB yet? I'm going to and i hope others will follow. This is rediculous to be taken advantage of and there has not been any signs of the sight being useful. There isn't any action by the victimizing party to set things right or respond to any contact via email. There isn't even a customer service to contact for dealing with issues.

I hope others who have similar complaints read this and help to defend others of this site. This site must be dealt with and I for one will contact the BBB in hopes of having this scamming business brought to a hault!

John May 07, 2008

Roomster.netthey will cheat you out of your money!

Don't go to this service! Roomster.net cheats you out of your money!!! I signed up for a four day trial and after that was over, without a reminder, they signed me up for another 30 days which I did not need and did not want to pay for. Their policies are shady and very vague when you sign up. 29.99 down the drain, I have tried to get reimbursed but the ###s with the service apparently do not have actual live people as customer service representatives, they only reply by 'comment box'. This service is a downright f-ing scam.

Savail Apr 02, 2008

Even if you do attempt to unsubscribe, you can still end up with a situation like what I'm experiencing. In my case, when I go to cancel the subscription it either falsely tells me that is has succeeded [the charges suggest otherwise], or that the request cannot be processed. I've opened claims with BBB and PayPal so far, but PayPal already denied the movement. I sent in more information and am waiting to hear back from them again.

Also, there HelpDesk had this odd habit of not working at all until I sent a notification that I had filed a report with the BBB. Suddenly, it worked. And no one responds to their listed e-mail.

Roomster.netunauthorized charges!

I was looking for a roomate and decided to use there service for 1 month only. I did not authorize any kind of automatic deduction of $29.95 to come from my credit every month after that. They do not have any number nor do they respond to e-mails regarding disputes or anything for that manner. I accept the charge for december only! They have continued to charge me for Jan, Feb Mar 2008 I have closed that account as of now, but this is upsetting as well as frustrating. I am currently out on disability because of a surgery I needed I'm having a hard enough time paying rent This service is useless !I never received any kind of responses from this service! I found a roommate through Craigs list in January which is free. I never would have agreed for roomster to bill me for more than one month at a time! Their ripping people off and someone should investigate!

• Sh
                            shelby Feb 12, 2009

roomster is a scam. they give automated responses and take your money. they have put me in 50 dollars worth of debt to my bank. is there any way i can get a refund? have any of you gotten one other than carlin??

• As
                            Ashleigh Dowdy Aug 12, 2008

I agree to that this morning i checked my accont activity online and these people charged me 29.95 and I only signed up for a 7day trial for 5.95 I can't get in contact with them or anything but I am pissed what company doesn't have a phone number.

Savail Apr 02, 2008

I'm having the same problem, except in my case, when I go to cancel the subscription it either falsely tells me that is has succeeded [the charges suggest otherwise], or that the request cannot be processed. I've opened claims with BBB and PayPal so far, but PayPal already denied the movement. I sent in more information and am waiting to hear back from them again.

• Ca
                            Carlin Longley Mar 30, 2008

I too recently joined Roomster back in January to find a place to live. I signed up for the 4 day trial at $5.95 and discovered I didn't like the site after logging in a few times. Yesterday, I noticed on my credit card statement that they have been charging me $29.95 for the months of January, February, and March. I went to the Better Business Bureau's website and found that there were 49 reports against this company as well as two listed phone numbers. I called one of them and it turned out to be some random guys cell phone, who was rude and told me not to call back again. I decided to e-mail them complaints over and over regarding the unauthorized charges made on my card. After over ten e-mails, they finally decided to credit back to my account the March service charge. I am still going to dispute the charges with my bank.

Roomster seems sketchy anyway. I was living across the street from one of the listings shown on the website. All of the information was completely false, if you knew the area, and the house at that address looked completely different from the photo online. The misleading Terms of Use is what they are banking on. STAY AWAY FROM ROOMSTER!!!