PNC Bank / destroyed atm card

1 Oakton, VA, United States Review updated:

I am not a PNC Bank customer but used their ATM with my SunTrust check card. In October, the PNC ATM captured my card and I was told I could get it the next day (for various reasons, I was unable to get it). Two days ago, 12/22/10, the ATM again captured my new Suntrust card. I immediately went into the bank and asked for it. They appeared willing to give it to me, but the manager with the key was not in the office. Then they said that the policy was to destroy all non-PNC cards captured by the ATM. The reason: they couldn't verify I was the owner of the card, despite government issued IDs. The next day I went in to ask what policy allowed them to destroy my property and how I was notified of this policy before using their ATM. The manager at first said he would give me my card if it wasn't shredded yet. Then, after checking with other employees, he said it was shredded properly. I became a little upset and asked when did I agree that they could destroy my property if the ATM captured my card. I never yelled or cursed (but admittedly was agitated that they had destroyed my card for no good, or articulated, reason; if you are a PNC customer, they don't destroy your card for 24 hours). He accused me of "badgering" him and that I needed to calm down. But instead of letting me calm down and ask my question, he said the conversation was unproductive, we should talk like adults, the conversation was over, I had to leave, and that I could leave on my own or leave in "handcuffs." I was flabbergasted and said I just wanted an answer to my question and that he was now threatening me. Then, realizing no good was going to come out of this, I asked for his card or name. He refused. I got up and left. As I left, walking into the bank was what I thought was a security guard, but turned out to be a county police officer. I left the bank. I waited by the police car because I wanted to ask the officer if the bank had called the police and for what reason. The officer did not come out and I did not think it wise to return to the bank to ask the officer. I don't know if the bank employees called the police or the officer just happened to come by at that moment.
Nobody at the bank, over three conversations, was able to give me a satisfactory explanation for why non-customer cards are destroyed if captured, but PNC bank customers have 24 hours to retrieve their cards. One person told me that the ATM recaptures a card if it is not removed in 30 seconds. The manager told me the time period was 3 minutes (there is no way I did not grab my card for three minutes). In October, I was told I could get my card back even though I wasn't a PNC customer. This recent time one employee told me I could get it back, then told me I couldn't. The next day, the manager at first said he'd try to get my card back to me (getting my hopes up), then said the policy was that all non-PNC cards are destroyed no matter what. Bottom line: don't use PNC ATMs, PNC has arbitrary policies, don't expect straight or consistent answers from PNC Bank employees, don't complain or they may eventually throw you out, and think twice about putting your hard-earned money with this bank.

Oa

Comments

11th of Feb, 2015

Card network rules (read: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, etc.) prevent banks from returning cards to anyone who isn't their customer. It's not up to the bank whose ATM captured your card. The bank agreed to that when they signed an agreement with the card network to issue those cards, and you agreed to it with your bank when you received your card. Note that the back of the card says that it is the property of the issuing bank, not you. The card networks are not going to put capturing Bank A in a position of responsibility for cardholder Bank B's cardholder security or to make decisions that could put Bank B at risk. Let's say Bank A wants to verify your identity and give you the card back - they would need to document everything like your ID, your SSN, etc., and then confirm it with your bank, which means your bank needs to give out your personal info to Bank A. Bank A now needs to retain your personal information to prove they acted correctly in returning the card to a stranger. Bank A is now responsible for storing your personal information for a looong time and you don't have an accountholder agreement with Bank A. None of this is good for you or Bank A or Bank B.

It's pretty pathetic that nobody at PNC actually knew why this is the case though. Sounds like they just made things up hoping you'd accept one of the reasons they guessed at.