Having problems with Amegy Bank?

1800 287 0301 (Customer Service)
1888 500 2960 (Online Banking)
1877 562 6662 (Mortgage)
+1 713 235 8810 (Houston)
+1 210 343 4500 (San Antonio)
+1 866 749 7459 (Bankcard)
+1 281 297 7800 (Mortgage)
1717 West Loop South
Postal Address
PO Box 4837, Houston, TX 77210-4837

Complaints & Reviews

Checking Account

This complaint is being shared elsewhere. Take note.
Adding any details other than these facts are useless, as our account has already been closed and we had no choice in the matter.

The bank officer at the Amegy Bank Vintage Park Branch named Elizabeth decided that we needed to close an account that we have had and used with NO problems for over 25 years because my wife was sent a fraudulent check by Fed-X associated with a job that she was applying for, to set up a home office. The check was to purchase office equipment and supplies for this business. The "manager" called her and told her to let him know when the check cleared the bank so that he could send over the order for the equipment to be delivered to our address. After making the deposit, I asked my wife if she felt like the manager was being honest about his business, and she seemed to think so, but we wanted to know if it was true, so we did some checking. I found out that the check WAS associated with a real law office and a real bank. I actually called the bank (CHASE BANK) and asked them if they could verify if a check that we received was real or not. Basically the bank told me that they did not have the time of day or that they didn't even care about my question. This CHASE BANK is located in the ONE TRADE CENTER in New York Yes, the building that replaced the building that was destroyed by terrorists in 2001. Anyway, I told my wife about the reception I received at the CHASE BANK, so she decided to call the LAW OFFICE the check was drawn on, and ask them about the check. After a short time they told her that the check was fake, and that they (the law firm) did not write the check. They were very gracious and wanted as much information that we could provide to them about the transaction, where it was shipped from by FED-X and so on. ANYWAY, at this point, (only a few hours after my wife had made the deposit) she called AMEGY BANK and informed them about the check being FAKE. They put a freeze on the account, and told us that they would need to let the check go through the system and get sent back from the originating bank (CHASE) before they could take the freeze off the account. This went for a few weeks, and then we were informed by the Officer that we needed to close the account, and that was what the fraud department told her to do. I called the fraud department, and they told us that it was up to the officer at the branch if she needed to close the account. In other words, the Branch officer basically lied about the fraud department telling her that the account HAD to be closed. After much conversation about this back and forth, the reason that we needed to close the account was because my wife deposited a fraudulent check into our account. She also told her that she could not open another account at AMEGY because of this. This person basically has accused my wife of trying to fraudulently deposit a check knowingly that it was fake. THIS IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED. I am making sure that anyone that might get involved with any of these scammers that sent a check to them, your AMEGY BANK is not on your side. We even called the FBI and the FTC and they just told us to make a report on line, but probably nothing was going to come of it. Your bank, and certainly the government doesn't care about us it seems in these matters. If you were in our place, you would feel the same. DO your self a favor and don't trust the people at this bank to be on your side if something like this happens to you. THEY DO NOT CARE. We have owned that account for OVER 25 years!... We have never had ANY problems with our account before. We are closing this account, as we are basically being treated like some kind of criminals. This branch officer needs to get a job working by herself and have no contact with the public in any way that she must be honest.

treatment while trying to file unauthorized check on checking account

I went to Amegy bank in the Vintage to try to resolve an unauthorized check clearing my account. I was told...

waiting at the bank...

Hello, I was waiting in the parking lot at this Amegy Bank. I have a friend coming here who banks here to pay...

The manager took our quarrel too personally and I have big problems with them now

My problem is very serious. Amegy Bank called me and asked to come to their office. The manager told me that...

Money drafted with no permission!

Amegy Bank did not have my permission to draft any funds from my account. I have turned this over
to the local DA and I hope these Son's of B*** get jail time.

• Si
    SICKANDTIRED Mar 24, 2009

THEY LET SOME INTRANET SITE TAKE MONEY FROM ME AND I FILED IN WRITTING BEFORE THE FUNDS CAME OUT THAT THE PENDING DEBIT WAS NO LEGIT. THEY IGNORED ME.

• Ki
    kim May 28, 2009

Amegy bank is a horrible place to bank! I have had nothing but problems with them, and anytime I try to call and resolve them, I'm met with hostility and rudeness. I had my credit card information stolen and the person made fraudulent charges onto my account, and they took FOUR MONTHS just to take the charged off! Not only that but they actually had the nerve to charge me overdraft fees because of the fraudulent charges! They refused to refund the overdraft fees until after the charges were checked out and confirmed, but as i said before it took 4 months for them to do this! Then at the end of the four months they still hadn't refunded the overdraft charges and told me that i had waited too long to request a refund for those charges! After sending emails and calling several more times and threatening to close my account they finally agreed to refund ONE of the overdraft fees, which took ANOTHER month for them to do. After that I had to wait to change my direct deposit out of that account so that I could close it and it ended up costing me again because then they charged me for an overdraft fee on a pending charge that never took place! They held a pending transaction for 3 days that never went through, and i had more than enough money in my account to cover it- so they actually charged an overdraft fee, THEN applied the amount of the purchase! If they hadn't charged an overdraft fee, then i wouldn't have been overdrawn on my account and would have been able to cover the purchase! (which was CANCELED so it wouldn't have gone through anyway!) They are completely unbelievable and as far as I am concerned they STOLE money from me, they are nothing more than thieves, take your hard earned money else where before its too late!

• Ro
    rory_talbot Sep 25, 2009

Here's a better story that totally true and not an exaggeration!!! Amegy uses a service called "Pacer" to background check it's customers. Well, back in 1990, I had a misdemeanor conviction for 'theft by check" when I was in college. The facts are essentially this: 19 years ago, it was college graduation night for me and some of my fraternity brothers. I wrote an $80 check for a deposit on a keg. Long story short, one of my fraternity brothers didn't return the keg, and unbeknownst to me, the liquor store ran the check when the keg wasn't returned. By the time the store ran the check (about a month later), I had graduated, moved, and closed the community credit account. I got a notice in the mail from the local DA (in Lubbock, TX) about the check, sent in the fee, not realizing that paying the fee amounted to a misdemeanor "conviction." Well, try explaining that to Amegy. They literally threw me out of their bank for being a "check fraud risk." They unilaterally closed my business bank account, which had almost $500, 000.00 in it. I swear that is NOT an exaggeration. I had $500 THOUSAND in working capital for my company. It was the craziest batsh*t decision I've ever heard of. My branch bank was in Houston. I'd been with the bank about a year and had NEVER had any problems or issues before this. The decision maker was named Amber. I'm not really mad about it, but it was pretty nuts. Stay away from these knuckleheads.

• Mi
    Milyan Sep 19, 2018

The worst bank ever...I been having problems with this bank since I started with them should have went with my first mind from the start and went to another bank...

• We
    wendy robbins Aug 13, 2019

I am so upset with Amegy. The customer service is deplorable. I made an error with a vendor and paid them on automated system. I immediately called the vendor and Amegy to get my money returned...this was in 5 minutes of my mistake. They would not do ANYTHING telling me that I needed to take ownership for what I did!!! I disputed the amount and it took 3 business days to process the dispute, totally unacceptable as I had no money in my account due to the vendor issue. They kept repeating like robots no matter who I reached out to at Amegy that it would take 10 business days to get dispute resolved AND 5 days to get credit amount I paid in error to vendor while dispute going on. It has been 7 days and still no return as stated by branch. I have not ever had this kind of horrible issue with MY MONEY at any previous bank. But, in the end, does anyone care at AMEGY to read these complaints and resolve them for THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices