Pizza Hut / customers

My history-20+ years in casual/fast casual dining. The problem of bad customer service is a direct result of the price you as a consumer are willing to pay for the product. Think about it; should you really be surprised that minimum wage workers, mostly high school and college students, would mess up, not care and if fired, move on to another job in a similar establishment? The only people making a living wage in this business are the store level and above managers. Delivery drivers work for tips and they know who tips and who doesn't. Most are part time, are out of the store most of the time and do the dishes when off the road. Wait staff work for tips too. They are either the laziest of workers in the store, or the hardest of workers and the hard working ones move on to more lucrative locales (higher priced establishments). The good ones usually only do this type of work for a couple of years until they can be employed in what they really want to do. Cooks (CSR's fall into this category-at my store I do not hire CSR's-everyone answers phones) are the least appreciated, most underpaid (my company currently pays $6.40 to $7.00 hr-there are NO bonuses, NO further raises-NO incentives what-so-ever) and therefore hardest to fill position in the store. The lowly cook does prep work, makes, cooks, cuts and boxes the pizza, answers phones and takes orders and when I find someone who can consistently show up, do what is expected and doesn't ### about everything, that person is on the promotion list (and quickly or they won't be around for long-two blocks up the street they can start at $8.00 hr). Underpaid, overworked employees translate into poor service. Just trying to get through the rush is sometimes all you can do. When my store has a bad day, meaning not enough people to staff for the amount of business we see, we just put our heads down and push on through. We give away a lot of pizza and piss off a lot of people. Unfortunately there is no way around this. The upper management only looks at numbers. Understaffed equals great labor. That, sales beating last year’s sales and food cost are all they care about. They go home at 4 or 5pm, never, ever are in a store during Friday or Saturday nights’ rush. Basically, we are on our own. This is the M.O. of just about all such casual/fast casual dining establishments; the rule, not the exception.
In summary: unless customers are willing to pay MUCH more for their product, they will lose on the service side. Those of us who care will try to satisfy, but we can only work with the tools we are given. When you place an order, don’t assume your mind is being read. Ask questions. Make follow up calls. Don’t be abusive to the CSR. It will only make matters worse. Once you raise your voice, or talk down to the person on the other end of the phone or across the counter, you might as well just give up. We have a lot of other customers to attend to who aren’t being ### about it. People instinctively want to do a good job and instinctively respond to kindness. Everyone makes mistakes, including you. Remember that and your life will be smoother in every way.

Bo

Comments

• Tr
      13th of Mar, 2008

Amen to the above. I have worked in the QSR buisness for 25 yrs. I have worked with good and bad employees. Also have had the same with customers. If you treat the workers poorly good luck getting better treatment in return.

• Up
      21st of Mar, 2008

Wow! Someone actually presented a balanced an accurate view from the perspective of the store. Now if we could get some customers that wish to voice their complaints, to do the same thing.

This is one thing that I would like to stress to customers. Getting angry doesn't help. It doesn't make you, or anyone around you feel any better. And it won't gain you any respect from the customer service staff. In that situation, the staff just want you gone. They won't care about what you want. If you want respect, give a little first.