National Car Rental / poor customer treatment

Before traveling to Ireland back in February through AutoEurope website I booked and paid (QSP 6141302) for a car rental for 6 days with National Car Rental. After clearing customs in Shannon Ireland on Sunday morning I went to the National Car Rental booth only to be told by the person behind the counter that they have no cars at the moment. Instead I was given a business card and told to give it to Declan at the Hertz Car Rental booth and he would give me the same deal. I proceeded to Hertz but they would not honor the rate confirmed with National Car Rental and on the spot I had to work out the best deal that I could. I did go back to the person at the National Car Rental booth but they were not interested in helping at all. In fact they were obvious that I was annoying them. After negotiating with Hertz the rental charge was $82 more than what I had already paid when I booked with AutoEurope. When I returned from my trip I worked with my credit card company to get a refund from Hertz for the over charge of $82. This accomplishment took numerous letters over a 4 month period. In June I wrote to National Car Rental ("Wilson, Tara" Email User) because all the problems I had getting back what was overcharged was caused by National Car Rental. I told them at the very least they should acknowledge that point and apologize but they replied that my grievance was with Hertz. Again I wrote and explained that they can not take a prepayment for a car rental reservation, then not provide a car, send their customer to a competitor, have their customer negotiate with a new company, get overcharged, work to get the overcharge refunded and not be held responsible. They did not reply. In turn, I wrote to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) because I would not have expected to have been treated so badly by such a large well known company and I did not want anyone else to go through the same experience. About a week after writing to the BBB I received an email from National Car Rental saying that for all my trouble they are offering me a coupon for 2 days free car rental in the US or Canada to be used before the end of the year. Again I had to write to National Car Rental letting them know their offer had no value to me as the only place that I would be renting a car was Ireland in 2008. They replied that they would not send a coupon voucher for any country other than the US or Canada In closing, I would not have thought in my wildest dreams that working with a global rental company like National Car Rental would have been such a bad experience and that not one person at National Car Rental had the inclination on how to treat a paying customer. Your viewers should be aware that even though you pay National Car Rental in advance to reserve a car it does not mean that they will provide you with a car and certainly they will not treat you well. Service I must report is not at the top of their list.

Va

Comments

• Sr
      15th of Jun, 2008

i too have the same problems with nationacar hire in the uk " lincoln region "

rude and bullying staff and discriination towards disabled people and ethnic people. and here is the list of problems i had with one vechicle they dropped off for me.

1. the car was dirty
    2. off side rear full side scratches
    3. off side front wheel trim chipped and damaged
    4. near side front wheel trim chipped and damaged
    5. sever damage to rear screen wiper and broken and missing bits
    6. No dust caps on any wheel.
    7. Engine oil level low and not showing up on dip stick, light visible on dash board.
    8. Mileage did not match the paper work 4518 actual mileage 4539 on delivery.
    9. The name was wrong on the documents.
    10. And billing information supplied was incorrect.
    11. And the collection document was wrong as well.
    12. the bad attitude by the deliverer Paul
    13. The rude and force full manner by the Lincoln manager and mouthy and rude manner by area manager carol on collection of vehicle.
    14. Diesel fuel running down the side of the car and the fuel car lose or not connected properly fuel cap.
    15. tires on the car not inflated to correct tire pressure
    16. battery cover not on and floating around engine bay.

• Us
      11th of Jun, 2014

These people are a disgrace. All of them. On my most recent visit, they tried to tell me I needed "A Letter" from my credit card company stating that they covered the CDW. After having to call my cc company from the desk to confirm my coverage, they then charged me a higher rate than quoted.
    The car rental companies in Ireland are unregulated and are notoriously crooked. The reason that Visa stopped covering insurance there was because of the rampant fraud perpetuated by the industry itself