Menu
National Car Rental company logo
reviews & complaints

reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

143 complaints
91 resolved 52 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by National Car Rental customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of National Car Rental. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
12:36 pm
National Car Rental has left an official reply on this complaint.

National Car Rental - I reserved a car and national told me basically "screw you, we don't have a car for your reservation and not our problem"

I have a reservation 1832082788. I went to pick up my reserved car and was told they didn't have a car. The agent lied and said because my reservation was for 10:00 pm and I arrived at 11:00 pm they rented my car. Common sense is airline passengers are sometimes slightly delayed while traveling.
Therefore at 11:00 at night in Mexico City, I had to find a hotel, take a taxi there and the following morning an Uber ride to my final destination. I want to be reimbursed for hotel, taxi and Uber ride, minus the cost of my original reservation. Service was HORRIBLE and you left me stranded at night in a foreign country. You have three business days to respond to me or I will file a smalls claims case against National Car Rental for reimbursement. Jeremiah Clifford

2 comments
Dec 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Are you allowed to argue in a U.S. court for something that took place in Mexico?

V
9:38 pm

National Car Rental - regina, saskatchewan airport location

Please read the below email to customer service about pricing gouging. I went to see a dying relative in Regina, SK. I returned the car rental but due to stress forgot the keys in my pocket. I couriered them back to the location as soon as I got off my flight to Edmonton, AB. You can read what happens next. No one at National cares.
I am preparing to go public because no one has even paid me the decency of a telephone call.
I want my money back. Your company should be embarrassed.
Further, I am an executive for a major Bank in Canada. I travel all the time. You obviously do not want my business. You'd rather gouge me while I was grieving.
Regards, Vanessa Laroque

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Vanessa Laroque
Date: November 19, 2017 at 8:29:12 PM MST
To: National Car Rental
Subject: Re: Update to Your Recent Feedback - National Car Rental - [171113-005306]

Hi there
So, I sent this email to you on Nov.13 and no one has called me or followed up. The Regina location has charged me an additional $259. Do I have to advertise this on Twitter and Facebook how pathetic this situation this is?
This is consumer gouging for an innocent mistake.
Reverse this charge immediately to my credit card!
780-504-1121

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 13, 2017, at 3:01 PM, National Car Rental wrote:

Image
Neysha-11/13/2017 04:01 PM
Dear Vanessa,

Thank you for reaching out to us for handling your inquiry. I will be happy to get this in the right direction.

I am sorry to hear of the issue you described in your correspondence with us. We pride ourselves on our standard of customer service and we take every reported incident seriously.
I am escalating your incident directly to our contact over that region. They specialize in addressing and resolving all customer service inquiries stemming from this location.

They will contact you directly to resolve your inquiry. If you have any further queries or have not received a response within a reasonable time frame, please let us know by responding back to this email, and we will get in contact with the relevant members of our management team to ensure you receive a full response.

We appreciate you writing in and giving us your feedback. When customers take the time to do this it really helps us improve our service.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me back. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Neysha
National Car Rental Email Customer Service Representative

Vanessa Laroque-11/13/2017 03:55 PM
Hi there. I had a one day rental from your Regina, SK airport location. I realized 12 hrs later that they rental keys were in my pocket in Edmonton, AB. I immediately called your location to advise them I was couriering the keys asap. I was told I would be charged until the keys were received. I phoned back, I was advised that I wouldn't be charged and that they appreciated that I was returning them. I just received an email indicating that I will now be charged until the keys are received. Here is my email to your office in Regina. This is unacceptable customer service and frankly no one knows what's going on.
Aren't you in the customer service industry? I am and I rent a car once a week. Sadly, this is a cash grab on National's part when clearly you can rent the car out with your 2nd set of keys.
Do not charge my credit card. I am not authorizing it. In the day and age of social media, I am not sure why your company would get so uptight and be so ridiculous about something that I have handled with completely professionalism and have been totally prompt and polite.
Have you?

Hi Vivian
Here is my receipt for the priority courier that will be there tomorrow.
You can let your manager know that I was in Saskatchewan saying goodbye to a dying relative and if she'd like to charge my credit card until the keys get there that I am happy to escalate this matter to the Ombudsman.
I rent a car once a week and I have never been charged for days when making an innocent mistake. I don't for one second believe that there isn't an extra set of keys to the white Subaru that I returned yesterday. Furthermore, I don't believe that you are so incredibly busy that with demand for the Subaru that you will lose any money on this transaction.
Have a heart and tell your manager to use some customer service manners.
Vanessa Laroque

Copyright © 2016 National Car Rental, 600 Corporate Park Dr., St. Louis, MO 63105, USA

Terms of Use

Privacy Policy

[---001:002594:03695---]

9:53 pm
National Car Rental has left an official reply on this complaint.

National Car Rental - claim made by the company on damages and losses that were never made

I rented the car from rental at palm springs airport, ca. on 21st october, we drove the car around in california and returned the car in perfect shape (as we got it ) on 26th. The vehicle while being returned at the airport was inspected by the members present at the airport who took the possession back. Now today I get a mail from them dated 11/3 that i had incurred losses and damages to the vehicle and they would like to know the insurance details. I did not incur any of these. This was also inspected and vehicle possession taken back after looking at the vehicle. This is height of un-professionalism and seems like a way to scaming money out of people

Rental agreement number

Claim 11740041

6:06 am

National Car Rental - customer service

I really like what the company stands for and the services they offer my problem is with workers who don't share the same values. I am no longer allowed to rent from national or enterprise because they don't like me as a person, they don't like me because I uphold them to the services they offer. On the last occasion I called in on Friday to change my car for Monday a few times with no answer, I call back on Monday at 8am which is opening time for a car switch to which katelynn tells me to come after 2pm which is 6 hours later so I asked if I can come before 5pm, 5 is closing time, I meant to say 3pm ( that's my fault) I called the office continuously around 2:30pm to check up no answer, I go to the office at 3:30 and no one is there and door is closed and locked, office hours read from 8-pm - 5pm 3:45 i call back and get an answer and I ask her katelynn what's is going on with the bad customer service and let her know how she could have handled the situation better, and how it should be handled as she did not handle the situation right, to which she replied no i don't have to rent to you and hung up. I am not the nicest person in the world but I have never asked national to do anything other than what is offered, I have been renting since march to November with no breaks in between. I still rent just not with the company I like best. I have no complaints about Katelynn as I understand have the population doesn't have the same values as there employer. But all this leaves me without a company who's values I do share and it leaves a company not making money off of someone they should. The onus is not on me to be a likeable customer, the onus is on the company to be professional at all times so problems don't arise at all. A simple thing like had she forwarded the company phone to her personal phone when she was or is not in the office during regular business hours could have avoided all of this ( I should not have to point that out) I only started renting from downtown location. Because I got an email from said location stating they would make it cheaper and still keep it convient for me. I called in after the email and was reassured that the convince would be kept as that was more important than the savings. I have had other situations with other employees and they don't like the way I talk, I think what they really don't like is that I uphold them to there offerings and just like a lot of other companies you get few people for whatever reason just sluff people off. The last day in particular a customer calls in first thing in the morning only to be told come in at the end of the day which is the busiest time of the day in the city especially downtown to pick up your car. As a customer it's a little upsetting to even hear that, where is the convienve there? I could have even picked up the car myself from the airport had she just called them, there are many different ways this could have been handled. National got rid of a guy they don't like, but what about there customer service? Is she going to forward the company phone next time? Or are the employees going to be more prompt in dealing with a customer request? Maybe the airport will bring her the cars since there are more employees there

12:06 pm

National Car Rental - condition of rented car

This was yet another terrible experience with national emerald aisle service.
The selection of vehicles were limited. I can overlook that. What I can not overlook is the dirtiness of the vehicle. My wife has severe pet allergies. The vehicle we picked (On the emerald aisle) was full of pet hair. So why didn't we select another vehicle? Because we could not see the hair when we go into the vehicle. The hair was located between the seats and console not to mention the back. The pick up area is dark. We looked at the car; however, we did not see all the hair until we were off site the following day. I will no longer use your company. Confirm #1150840972

D
10:05 am

National Car Rental - one two free promotion

Reference # 28323882. I pre-enrolled in the one, two free promotion on June 21, 2017 I "referred a friend" through the promotion. He enrolled in National on July 12, 2017. He clicked on the link, completed a qualifying reservation. They will not award the points to me for referring a friend, because they are saying he didn't add in the code, when he said he did. National has lost an Executive customer based on their refusal to award points that were legitimately owed.

Read full review of National Car Rental

I submitted this again through the national inquiry, and they responded and resolved my complaint.

P
6:55 pm

National Car Rental - false charges for damage to rental car

My wife, two kids, and her elderly parents were traveling in Germany this summer and rented a van from National Rental as I am a Emerald Club member through work. Upon returning to the US we received a charge on our credit card for damage to the vehicle she rented. We were shocked as she was told at the counter in Hamburg that any damage that would be charged would be pointed out upon return of the vehicle and agreed to. The vehicle was looked at by a National representative upon return of the vehicle and she was told verbally there were no issues. Now we have over $1000 being charged for damage that never happened. It is a flat out scam and theft. To make matters worst we have received no help at all from National . Their US customer service tells us we must work with their customer service in Europe and that someone from over their will contact us. That has not happened. We received pictures of the supposed damage which could have come from any vehicle. It appears from web searches that this scam is rampant in Europe and US visitors are the primary prey. It also appears that a company I have trusted is complicit is this theft.

M
Oct 25, 2017 12:36 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

A HORRIBLE COMMERCIAL! This is what I write to the stations showing your discussing revolting commercial...

Please take it off the air! I guy for National Car doing his own surgry is discussing sounds him pulling out of his body, body parts! I flip the channel from FOX every time it comes on. PLEASE STOP SHOWING IT, thanks,
Mike Dimond
Loveland Colorado

C
5:25 pm

National Car Rental - customer service

Hello

I am writing just to inform you guys of the horrible customer service I received today, and I must say I am offended. I booked and Prepaid on Priceline and once I payed your company was giving
( I've been renting from avis through Priceline for the last month or so ) so when I get to the counter the card wasn't accepted because of another charge that I wasn't aware of so I called the Capital One to see if there was something they could do which while on the line with my card company the operator asked to speak to someone since the funds was going to be available later today and that's when the manager was requested he spoke to the operator and he stated the policy which was fine and then I asked about the Priceline that was prepaid and he just walked away before I could completely get the question out which all I wanted to know was how long do I have before the voucher was invalid cause the funds was going to be available later today and could I come back or what will happen cause I didn't know since I only deal with Avis when renting cars but it's been bothering me so that's why I'm writing you guys need better customer service I rent cars ever weekend and never was giving a promblem till today and even if nothing could have been done he didn't need to just walk away while I'm asking a question while I am standing there 6 months pregnant and stuck with no car at the airport

View 0 more photos

K
4:07 pm

National Car Rental - car rental

On our trip to US we booked a car rental in Los Angeles, California, in National Car Rental.

We collected the car from the rental on the 5-th of May 2017, with no damage car waiver.

When we were collecting the car, we asked the employee if there is any collection protocol, so that we could be sure that was noticed the car did not have any former damages. We were ensured that we do not need one since the company takes photos of every car before the rental itself.

The same day, two hours after we had left the rental, we had a car accident. There was no police involved, we did not obtain any report. The damages were minor so we pleaded guilty before the lady and exchanged our documents to reach out later. We took the photos of the damages of the the lady herself as well as our own damages.

Then we returned the car to the rental place. We obtained the notice - express incident report - and we were asked to pay 500 $ for the damage deductible charge, what we did. Later on, we were ensured that we will not be charged more than the amount we had already paid.

We then collected the other car and set off with the damage car waiver.
After the journey we gave the other car back in Durango, Colorado. One of their employees, having been asked whether we have any due amount to pay for the damages of the first car, answered that there is no amount to be paid.

We then came back to Poland.

On the 24th of July we were contacted by the lady claiming she was representing the NCR, asking why we had not yet paid 2500$ we allegedly were due.

Since we did not know what the problem was, we asked for the bill for the damages. We then received one in an e-mail, but it contained the reparations that we would never think were necessary and indeed were not in compliance with what our post-accident photos showed.

We were contacted by the same lady several more times, who in a very unpleasant manner stated we were due and that the interest will be counted into the previous amount if we do not pay.

We expressed a desire to settle, since we thought the amount we were asked to pay was miscalculated and unfair. We then tried to contact the lady to at least have the amount divided, so that we could pay it in installments. She agreed on the proposal, but she confirmed nothing in writing.

We were still not informed how we can proceed, we did not obtain any information in writing and we still believe that the amount we were said we are due is too high. We would like to settle, but the lady who contacted us for the first time is not sending us any e-mails.

6:27 am

National Car Rental - paid for damage I didn't cause

I want to warn everyone before you rent a car from them. Check its condition and take the photos of it before leaving. Or you will just pay for something you didn't cause.
Just like my situation. Silly me, I hadn't checked it and rented it with a small damage, and after arriving they found it and forced me to pay because I couldn't prove it wasn't me.
I can't say you should avoid them, but please check your vehicle BEFORE, not after.

6:27 pm

National Car Rental - newark airport

I just rented a car from the above location. I had a good and not so good experience. I only use National for car rentals, as I love the idea of going to pick my vehicle. Sometimes I pick a small car and sometimes an SUV. Today I wanted an SUV as I am driving to Harrisburg, PA after my work here in NJ and I wanted a larger car. I got in an SUV that had keys and looked like it was ready to go. A woman approached the car window, after I had everything loaded up, and asked me if I was an Executive member. I said "I think so"... I am. She walked away and Tiffany the manager walked up and she said the car was not available. I told her what the other woman asked me, thinking I needed to have an executive status to rent this one. She said "I don't know why she asked you that". These are not available. I told her that they need to put a sign or something as I had already loaded everything up. She was not at all friendly and said something about a sign behind her which I didn't see. I felt like she was lying. This is ridiculous and I told her this had never happened to me before. She just ignored me and walked away. However, the highlight was that I checked out with Eva and as it turns out, I forgot to make my reservation! She said she would take care of it and she did! She redeemed National for me but Tiffany needs some management training. I felt like she was saving the car for someone else. Very unprofessional. I don't have a reservation #.

P
2:09 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had made a reservation on January 8th, 2017 (Confirmation Number: 1232600579 & Emerald Club Number: **********) for a Orlando International Airport pickup and drop-off (9th of February through 15th of February). It was unfortunate to experience an untrained checkout staff at the vehicle pickup point and again at drop-off time. The reservation confirmation...

A
8:49 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been a National Emerald Club Executive Elite customer for quite some time now. Over the past month I have been renting a vehicle out of the Chicago O'Hare airport location as I await my new corporate company car to arrive. With that being said, I have never been treated so bad in all of my years of being a National business seller in the...

R
6:13 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am travelling for work and rented a vehicle from national in houston at the george bush international airport. The process was simple and I was excited to be able to just pick a vehicle. Unfortunately the vehicle I chose would switch between standard and automatic so after day 1 I tried to exchange it. Without actually going into a rental location...

D
12:51 pm

National Car Rental - continuous charges in my credit card

Dear national:

My name is domenico casaretto and I rented twice during my last vacations in july 2016 and I am still receiving charges from national car rental. I don't know why are you still charging 4 months later.

The number of the reservations were:
Confirmation # 1117621680 from july 13 to july 20, 2016
Confirmation # 1117622105 from july 26 to july 30, 2016.

Please let me know what to do and why I am receiving these continuously charges.

Domenico casaretto
Domenico. [email protected] Nestle.com

11:12 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Rental Agreement # 933095747 I rented a vehicle from National Rental Car in Philadelphia on 20 July 2016. When I arrived late in the evening, the attendant told me they did not have the SUV I reserved, but offered a full-sized car since I am an Emerald Executive member. I did my customary walk around (in the dark) saw nothing obvious and left. I drove...

W
6:25 am

National Car Rental - suv categories / expensive upgrades

Hello,
A few months ago I reserved a midsize / intermediate suv through a travel agency “fti touristik gmbh” for a 17-day rental.
Arriving at vancouver airport on june 15t, national car offered me a chevrolet trax, where you can see without opening the trunk that there is no space for luggage. I asked several times if this is really the car I reserved, as this is not the first time I rent such an suv. As our luggage didn’t fit into the trunk I asked for the next category. I got offered a fullsize suv “buick enclave” for 30 cad extra a day. After dealing like in a bazar I got the car for 25 cad. The employees told me several time that either I take the chevi trax I reserved or pay this 25 bucks extra a day. English is not my first language, but even for me it was clear that “intermediate” means something in between and not a car which is declared as small by the manufacturer. I was meanwhile more than an hour at the rental station and got tired to discuss and we don’t want to travel more than 2 weeks having bags on the knees. Therefore, there was not a real choice and we took the buick.
The car himself was ok, but not what I ordered and far too big to my needs.

During my vacation I opened an inquiry / complaint about my experience at vancouver airport (160617-000645). The answers I got via phone were like joke:
- national car is categorizing the cars by them themselves
- national car is never guarantee a specific car make / model
On the other hand, they could not tell me any make / model of a compact suv
Overall, national car decides which car I get and everything was correct.

A week ago when I returned the car, I now got the bill.in addition to the prepaid amount of 950 cad for the “intermediate suv”, the upgrade to a fullsize suv cost’s me additionally 672.49 cad! Not talking about the additional fuel needed.

Quite a lot of money, what leads me to investigate:

Fact is:
According to http://www.nationalcar.de/Fleet/631/de?selectedCountry=CA the chevi trax is a compact suv and not a midsize suv. So national didn’t tell me the truth.
The rental agreement 169977636 reflect that as well:
Vehicle information:
Reserved: intermediate suv
Driven: compact suv
Charged: standard size suv

According to the web https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/car-details/us/pgar-premium-crossover.html the buick enclave is in a higher category than a fullsize suv. This may explain that such an upgrade I so expensive? Even here i’m not sure about the rate.

Neither at vancouver airport nor during the call about my inquiry I got the feeling that i’m a customer. They don’t want to discuss; they just want to get rid of me as soon as possible.

Needless to say, that after such an experience I would never choose national / alamo / europcar. Nevertheless, I would like to have a statement from national cars about
- tell me just one make / modell of a compact suv?
- what is the next upper category to a midsize / intermediate suv?
- why are the for costs an upgrade from midsize to fullsite 30 cad (Afterwards 25cad / day)
- please send me this statement to walter. [email protected] Ch

Regards walter

A few months ago I reserved a midsize / intermediate suv through a travel agency for a 17-day rental.
Arriving at vancouver airport, national car offered me a chevrolet trax. Where you can see without opening the trunk that there is no space for luggage. I asked several times if this is really the car I reserved, as this is not the first time I rent such an suv. As our luggage didn’t fit into the trunk I asked for the next category. I got offered a fullsize suv “buick enclave” for 30 cad extra a day. After dealing like in a bazar I got the car for 25 cad. The employees told me several time that either I take the chevi trax I reserved or pay this 25 bucks extra a day. English is not my first language, but even for me it was clear that “intermediate” means something in between and not a car which is declared as small by the manufacturer. I was meanwhile more than an hour at the rental station and got tired to discuss and we don’t want to travel more than 2 weeks having bags on the knees. Therefore, there was not a real choice and we took the buick.
The car himself was ok, but not what I ordered and far too big to my needs.

During my vacation I opened an inquiry / complaint about my experience at vancouver airport. The answers I got via phone were like joke:
- national car is categorizing the cars by them themselves
- national car is never guarantee a specific car make / model
On the other hand, they could not tell me any make / model of a compact suv
Overall, national car decides which car I get and everything was correct.

Quite a lot of money, what leads me to investigate:

Fact is:
-according to http://www.nationalcar.de/Fleet/631/de?selectedCountry=CA the chevi trax is a compact suv and not a midsize suv. So national didn’t tell me the truth.
The rental agreement reflects that as well:
Vehicle information:
Reserved: intermediate suv
Driven: compact suv
Charged: standard size suv

According to the web https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/car-details/us/pgar-premium-crossover.html the buick enclave is in a higher category than a fullsize suv. This may explain that such an upgrade I so expensive? Even here i’m not sure about the rate I really paid.

V
12:16 pm

National Car Rental - poor customer service

Flights were delayed causing late arrival to destination (El Paso International Airport, El Paso, TX). Contacted National Car 877 number and was given local (El Paso) telephone number. Called three different times leaving same information (contract no., name, call back number, and reason for call). Message on counter phone was that they were unable to answer the call at the moment but assuredly will call back. Never received a call back.
In the reason for call portion of the message, I explained that my flight would arrive at midnight, which is the time that the counter typically closes. I explained that I would be about 15-20 minutes delayed getting to the counter and would they wait for my arrival. (I arrived at the counter at 12:05 am and it was closed.) Again, never got a call back to any of my calls, not even the next day.
Immediately, I called the National 877 number and although the agent tried to assist, he was unable to do anything about my situation.
I have the sense that customer satisfaction is irrelevant with this National Car office.
Had to hire a taxi at a greater personal expense.
I'm a regular business travel using Emerald Club, but will switch to AVIS.

K
8:28 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I rented a vehicle from the Terrace/Kitimat airport at National. It seems they want me to make a fraudulent claim of damage, which they state happened when I had their vehicle. When I picked up the car from the airport, the service representative told me that the car had damage and I noticed there was a fair bit of damage, so I made notes on the rental...

View 0 more photos
A
1:51 pm

National Car Rental - not honouring the reservations and no car available

Hi

I went to National rental car in New Jersey, Jersey city and had a horrible experience this morning.

I had a confirmed reservation today to pick up a car at a 9 AM in the morning and got a call from rental company stating the cars would be available only between 9: 30 to 10 AM and they asked me to come around that time.

I picked up a cab to rental company and there were no cars available and no proper response available. I have lost wages for couple of hours and picked up a car from a different car company which is 7 Miles away.

Worst rental experience ever.

National Car Rental contacts