National Car Rental Logo

National Car Rental

Having problems with National Car Rental?

1800 946 541 (Ireland)
1800 691 682 (Australia)
+1 844 393 9989 (Customer Service (USA)
+1 844 307 8015 (Customer Service (Canada)
+1 800 367 6767 (Roadside Assistance (USA)
+1 800 268 9711 (Roadside Assistance (Canada)
+1 844 382 6875 (Reservations (USA)
+1 844 307 8014 (Reservations (Canada)
+1 877 881 5500 (Business Rental Customer Support)
+44 800 587 0904 (United Kingdom)
+351 800 781 377 (Portugal)
600 Corporate Park Drive
Saint Louis, Missouri

Complaints & Reviews

charging for services not authorized!

Hired a car from national car rental at heathrow airport. Returned sat 5th january 2008. Received a receipt upon return which states car in tact and undamaged. There was previous scratches to the car which was pointed out to the gate when taking other than there was no damage to the car. They made a charge on my credit card of 25 pounds for tires and windshield which I have no idea what they are talking about. This charge was never authorized by me and so amounts to theft.

I am prepared to attend court rather than let the thieves get away with. I am a former british citizen and this reflects badly on the integrity of british business. I will never use them again. I will also be making a complaint to my credit card company.

I wonder how many times they do this. It is criminal no more no less.

Bob lessemun.

• Ro
    Robert C lessemun Feb 21, 2008

This matter was resolved amicably and I have no further complaint with this company.

• Sr
    s rogers Jun 15, 2008

i too have the same problems with nationacar hire in the uk " lincoln region "

rude and bullying staff and discriination towards disabled people and ethnic people. and here is the list of problems i had with one vechicle they dropped off for me.

1. the car was dirty
    2. off side rear full side scratches
    3. off side front wheel trim chipped and damaged
    4. near side front wheel trim chipped and damaged
    5. sever damage to rear screen wiper and broken and missing bits
    6. No dust caps on any wheel.
    7. Engine oil level low and not showing up on dip stick, light visible on dash board.
    8. Mileage did not match the paper work 4518 actual mileage 4539 on delivery.
    9. The name was wrong on the documents.
    10. And billing information supplied was incorrect.
    11. And the collection document was wrong as well.
    12. the bad attitude by the deliverer Paul
    13. The rude and force full manner by the Lincoln manager and mouthy and rude manner by area manager carol on collection of vehicle.
    14. Diesel fuel running down the side of the car and the fuel car lose or not connected properly fuel cap.
    15. tires on the car not inflated to correct tire pressure
    16. battery cover not on and floating around engine bay.

and bold tires on one of the vehicles i hadthey are rubish goto avis.

rates and customer service!

I booked a car on line with one of those direct links from an airline - I noticed that it didn't ask for my Emerald Card number (I am an Executive member although it means nothing). The rate was $52 (usd) which also bugged me but I printed off the contract and took it with me to the airport counter in Edmonton Alberta. I was greeted with - I am sorry but we don't have any vehicles right now. It won't be any longer than an hour." yuck. But thats not the worst, when I asked the clerk to add my emerald club number to the file she seemed very confused and asked other people what the message on her screen meant. The she asked if she could have my card back and said shed have to destroy it. WTF?

I instructed her to give the thing back and Id deal with the problem when I turned in whatever I finally got (a G6). I returned it the next day and this time they told me they still had all this information from my previous address and thats why they had a problem. Well she asked me the same questions three times trying to enter it into the system at which point I wanted to say... please destroy my card!

In the end I was charged over $90 Canadaian for the rental - hello, hello our dollar is trading at 98.5 so $52 USD does not equal $95 CDN. I hate this and I am fed up with this company. Won't rent with them again and hate the over zealous exchange rate with arbitrary rates.

poor customer treatment

Before traveling to Ireland back in February through AutoEurope website I booked and paid (QSP 6141302) for a car rental for 6 days with National Car Rental. After clearing customs in Shannon Ireland on Sunday morning I went to the National Car Rental booth only to be told by the person behind the counter that they have no cars at the moment. Instead I was given a business card and told to give it to Declan at the Hertz Car Rental booth and he would give me the same deal. I proceeded to Hertz but they would not honor the rate confirmed with National Car Rental and on the spot I had to work out the best deal that I could. I did go back to the person at the National Car Rental booth but they were not interested in helping at all. In fact they were obvious that I was annoying them. After negotiating with Hertz the rental charge was $82 more than what I had already paid when I booked with AutoEurope. When I returned from my trip I worked with my credit card company to get a refund from Hertz for the over charge of $82. This accomplishment took numerous letters over a 4 month period. In June I wrote to National Car Rental ("Wilson, Tara" Email User) because all the problems I had getting back what was overcharged was caused by National Car Rental. I told them at the very least they should acknowledge that point and apologize but they replied that my grievance was with Hertz. Again I wrote and explained that they can not take a prepayment for a car rental reservation, then not provide a car, send their customer to a competitor, have their customer negotiate with a new company, get overcharged, work to get the overcharge refunded and not be held responsible. They did not reply. In turn, I wrote to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) because I would not have expected to have been treated so badly by such a large well known company and I did not want anyone else to go through the same experience. About a week after writing to the BBB I received an email from National Car Rental saying that for all my trouble they are offering me a coupon for 2 days free car rental in the US or Canada to be used before the end of the year. Again I had to write to National Car Rental letting them know their offer had no value to me as the only place that I would be renting a car was Ireland in 2008. They replied that they would not send a coupon voucher for any country other than the US or Canada In closing, I would not have thought in my wildest dreams that working with a global rental company like National Car Rental would have been such a bad experience and that not one person at National Car Rental had the inclination on how to treat a paying customer. Your viewers should be aware that even though you pay National Car Rental in advance to reserve a car it does not mean that they will provide you with a car and certainly they will not treat you well. Service I must report is not at the top of their list.

• Sr
    s rogers Jun 15, 2008

i too have the same problems with nationacar hire in the uk " lincoln region "

1. the car was dirty
    2. off side rear full side scratches
    3. off side front wheel trim chipped and damaged
    4. near side front wheel trim chipped and damaged
    5. sever damage to rear screen wiper and broken and missing bits
    6. No dust caps on any wheel.
    8. Mileage did not match the paper work 4518 actual mileage 4539 on delivery.
    9. The name was wrong on the documents.
    10. And billing information supplied was incorrect.
    11. And the collection document was wrong as well.
    12. the bad attitude by the deliverer Paul
    15. tires on the car not inflated to correct tire pressure
    16. battery cover not on and floating around engine bay.

• Us
    US TOURIST Jun 11, 2014

These people are a disgrace. All of them. On my most recent visit, they tried to tell me I needed "A Letter" from my credit card company stating that they covered the CDW. After having to call my cc company from the desk to confirm my coverage, they then charged me a higher rate than quoted.
    The car rental companies in Ireland are unregulated and are notoriously crooked. The reason that Visa stopped covering insurance there was because of the rampant fraud perpetuated by the industry itself

changed the rate when I returned the car

Real Simple. I rented the car at the Los Angeles. I returned the car in Orange County. My weekly rental rate was $148.88 on my original contract. Because I returned the car at the Orange County Airport instead of LAX, they charged me a $75.00 drop fee which I did not mind a bit and fully expected. Then upon my return they changed my weekly rate to $374.39 from $148.88 without notice or warning. I spoke to three people including a supervisor. All three including the supervisor refused to re-adjust my rate to $148.88 which was on my original contract. These people are crooks. They are by the essence of their business practices completely dishonest. Not only would I NEVER consider renting from them again, but I am going to tell everyone I know everywhere my story so other people don't get ripped off as well.

• Re
    Reed Fredericks Jul 20, 2007

Just from what you wrote, I can tell you what they told you: You were NOT suppose to drop the car off at another location. $75 is an unauthorized drop-off fee. The higher rate is the correct rate for a one-way for the rental length from LAX to SNA-Santa Ana Airport (Orange County - John Wayne Airport). If you would have rented the car for a one-way use, they would have quoted you the one-way rate. Since you took it upon yourself to leave the car without advising the company, of course you'll be penalized. Try renting a hotel room anywhere (especially Vegas) on New Years Eve. They'll tell you there's a 2-3 night minimum. What happens if you check out early. Bam! Huge penalties. If you change the rental contract, you can't expect the same price... Get a clue...

• Al
    Allison Jul 03, 2008

National is the worst company I have ever done business with. I rented from them three times while recently traveling out west. The only reason I chose them was because I had four free vouchers that a friend had given me. It was a horrible experience every time. Dirty cars, rude staff, charges that made no sense. Even with vouchers, it cost me $700. For example, I was told that there would be a 50 dollar per hour charge on the last day, for each hour I was late in returning the car, up to two hours. I was an hour and a half late and they charged me $319 instead of the original $140 plus late charges.
    I encourage everyone to not use these thieves. Their counters at Las Vegas and Denver were much less frequented then the other companies and the people using National were complaining just like I am.

• Ro
    roscoewavo Feb 07, 2011

I hate National with a passion! First rental they tried to scare me into buying insurance by saying if the car was out of commission for any reason due to my rental I was responsible for the loss of revenue. After talking to my insurance agent I found this is a common tactic to boost profits as it was covered in my personal car policy. Check your policy before you fall for this sleezeball game. Shame on National for trying to sucker customers. Second When I tried to redeem my American Express points toward a National rental they doubled the price of the rental between the time I reserved the car and entering the coupon code! I went to Budget and got the car for even less than the first price National gave and will spend my points somewhere else. Shame on National! What a [censor] company. What a crappy way to treat customers. I will tell anyone I can to never ever rent from National.

journeys12 Aug 10, 2012

I too hate National Car with a passion now! I used to rent from them a lot for 6-8 months a year and in fact I am an Emerald Club Executive Elite member .But due to a recent horrific experience of being untreated unfairly I decided to switch to Avis for my long-term car rental needs. I rented a compact car from their Boston Prudential Center location return to Albany Airport for a weekly rate of $151.93, they ran out of compact cars so I was upgraded to an intermediate for free. My plans eventually changed so I had to extend my rental for 2 more months. I physically went to the Albany airport to sign a new contract since they had a 28-day maximum duration per contract. They did give me the same rate for my second month and I rented the same car . However when I returned to the airport again for the 3rd month, they said the car that I had needed an oil change so I cant rent it again. They ran out of cars smaller than a full size so they gave me a full size car. And they charged me the full size car rate of 433.48 a week !!! I didnt notice it until later so I emailed Customer Service. THey said they cant do anything about it and advised me to contact the Albany airport branch directly which I did. The woman who answered the phone was VERY RUDE and said something along the lines of they cant give me the original long-term rental rate of 151.93 a week since all their contracts have a 28-day maximum so every time there's a new contract there could be a different rate . I asked to speak to the manager Mr. David Bamiro who had given me the original rate on the second month of my rental . I called his direct line no answer, I left a message. I also emailed him. It's been 2 weeks and he never returned my phone call/email. Suffice it to say that I promptly returned the car even if I still needed a car for 2 more months, and rented a car from Avis for a more reasonable rate . For those of you like me who intend to avoid National Car like the plague, please be aware that National Car is owned by Enterprise Holdings who also owns Enterprise and Alamo rental cars. Might as well avoid those companies too!

[Resolved] charging me for damage I know nothing about

I was on a business trip in Charleston, SC last month and got a National rental car at the airport, based on...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices