Macy's / false advertisement and poor customer service

I'm extremely furious with Macy's and will most like never order anything from them again. I placed an online order for luggage at a closeout discount over week ago and just today received notification that my order could not be placed because they no longer had the items and or the colors I requested. Oddly enough though three of the items not available were still listed on their website early today. The catch is they are listed at a higher "discount" price that what was listed over a week ago. I believe I was screwed out of the order because they either a sold to an employee or b) sold to a customer who was willing to pay the higher price. Furthermore they show lack of knowledge of their inventory on hand and lack of skills. If the warehouse (or where ever they store online merchandise) was empty, their customer service/sales people should have immediately started calling stores to see if they could place my order. Lastly because of their inability to contact me in a timely manner has most likely cost me the ability to get the entire five piece luggage set in a different color at the Macy's located in the area I live at the sales price I ordered under-a few days before ordering on line I spoke directly with a sales person in the store and they said they would honor the sales price-I chose to go online because of the color selection. Well, I continue to complain about Macy's unprofessionalism and poor customer service, no one should be subject to their ineptitude.

PS. Luggage is manufactured-its not made out of rare material and/or a maintaining by a dead guy, they could always pull out the design and have more made.

Comments

• Va
      6th of Feb, 2007

I was walking in the mall and decided to just check out the furniture in the new Macy's that had taken the place of Kaufmanns.

As I got to the top of the escalator there was a sign saying semi-annual furniture sale (nothing else but those words) so for me that was a plus factor to even look at their furniture displays.

I saw a black leather recliner chair that was small and just the size I had been looking for and it was on sale for $399! What a deal! I told the sales clerk that I wanted to purchase that chair and was there a delivery charge? He said the delivery charge was $65. I said wow I just had a refrigerator and stove delivered from HH Greg and it was only $50 plus they removed my old appliances.

I told him that my friend would pick it up for me with his truck. He then proceeded to fill out the papers and then said that there was a $15 charge for pick-up. I said what! He said it was for the paper work and getting the chair ready for me to put it in my friends truck.

I said the sign should say $414. for the chair not $399 if I have to pay that amount even to pick it up. I also said there were no signs and nothing on the tag stating that there is a $15 charge for pick-up. He said that is Macy's policy. I said ok, well then the sign says $399 for that chair then I will take that chair. He said he could not sell it to me it was the floor model and that I would have to get one out of the warehouse (thus adding the $15).

After talking with various managers, the home office, and district manager they basically said it was Macy's policy and they were not going to change it for me or anyone else.

I then said I would apply for a Macy's card and get 20% off my first purchase. They informed me that I had a Kaufmann's charge and that it automatically turned into a Macy's card and that I could not apply for a new card and get the discount.

To make a long story short, my friend with the truck filled out a form for a Macy's card bought the chair for me and had it delivered to my house and the cost was a lot less than if they would have just taken the $15 off the price.

So I paid my friend, he cut up the card and Macy's lost two customers.

Normally I spent a great deal of money over the holidays at that store but not this year! I feel for $15 they lost a good customer and I am sure there are others who feel the same way!

• Ca
      21st of Aug, 2007

I agree with other complainants' statements about Macy's big item/furniture problems. DO NOT BUY AREA RUGS from Macy's. A wool area room carpet purchased from Macy's furniture store in May 2006 started smelling like burning rubber in Feb. 2007. The smell heightened in April 2007. In August 2007 it smells like a bag of rubber bands burning and stinks up the whole house. Macy's customer service says that the carpet is under warranty for one year and the warranty has ended. They cannot do anything about the carpet, will not exchange it or fix it.

Who would ever think that after only a year and half, a $900.00 carpet would have to be thrown away!

• Ri
      24th of Sep, 2007

We bought a handmade (in India) wool rug at HomeGoods about two years ago and the same burnt rubber smell occurs. It is concentrated in the backing of the rug. It smells like burning insulation, you might think an electronic apliance is smoldering.

• Re
      8th of Jul, 2008

i perceive complaint as a catalyst for proper performance